Customize

Chicago - January 8th, 2011 - Planning

Discussion in 'USA - Central/Mountain' started by Strong Strength, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Chicago - January 8th, 2011 - Planning

[size=+1]--> Update: This month's protest details <--[/size]

Date: Saturday, January 8th, 2010

Location: Millennium Park in downtown Chicago, at the intersection of Michigan Ave. and Madison St. Note that this is at the western edge of the park, not somewhere in the center of it. We're pretty hard to miss.

Time: It seems most people are planning on showing up at 1 p.m. for this one. This is a departure from our usual starting time of noon. We go until we run out of gas, which is sometimes around 3 hours or so, but we play it by ear. Of course, you're welcome to come and leave whenever you want.

Do: Hold signs, hand out fliers, talk to people, dance, shoot the breeze, etc.

Don't: Amplified sound, chalking walkways, clogging up sidewalks, soliciting (why?), alcohol (duh)

What do I need to bring? A mask or disguise if you roll that way, and stuff to keep yourself functional - comfy footwear, a drink, warm clothes, etc. If you want to bring a sign or fliers, go for it; otherwise, we have plenty that we can lend you. (Just please be careful with borrowed equipment to avoid unnecessary wear and tear.) Other stuff like cameras and munchies are optional. Have fun!

[dated original post follows]

Fight about details 'n' stuff here.

Location: Were we leaning towards holding it at Millennium Park this month, or...? I know some people wanted to do it there last month. Protesting right in front of the org won't be an option for this one, because the next court hearing for the 150 ft. issue is on January 13th (see Chicago legal update thread). So until we get a favorable resolution there, we'd be at the intersection if we went to the org. Just sayin'.

Starting time: Someone floated the idea of starting at 1 instead of noon this month, since some of us show up around that time anyway, and it gives everyone an extra hour to sleep in.

If you have an opinion on either of these, please chime in. If you're new and don't know what to expect, you can browse some of our postgame threads, chillax in this thread and ask questions, and/or just wait around as we finalize details closer to the event.
  2. Dra Member

Re: Chicago - January 8th, 2011 - Planning

I should be able to attend this time. & I don't care which location we end up at (cause I will just go to MP on my way home and skate for a while).
  3. anonymousIL Member

Keep us informed on this date if something changes let us know asap. i hope i can make it to this one since i missed the last one
  4. Re: Chicago - January 8th, 2011 - Planning

I'd kind of prefer to do Millennium Park this month, because I like it just fine and also because there were a couple people who wanted to do it last month but didn't get a chance to. January is a 5-Saturday month too, so if some people really want to do an org miniraid on the side, we have plenty of time to work that in.

I'm cool with trying a 1 p.m. starting time instead of noon this time. Kinda curious to see how that would work out.

For what it's worth, Honk Sign Lady would prefer to have it back at Millennium Park this month. She doesn't usually post here, so I'm passing along her input by proxy. As far as the starting time goes, I don't know what she would prefer, but she often shows up around 1 anyway, so I doubt she'd have a big problem with trying that.

Like Paladin said in the other thread (thanks Paladin, btw), we almost always do the 2nd Saturday of the month. I'd be really surprised if we ended up modifying the date this month.
  5. anonymousIL Member

Hey i was doing some research around here and found there are 2 Scientology Churches in Peoria. :D
  6. Re: Chicago - January 8th, 2011 - Planning

Well, there's the Peoria mission. What's the other one? Are you sure it's not just a ghost listing?
  7. Paladin Member

Caution: The link below is to a Scientology site.

You can use the Scientology locator at www.locator.scientolgy.org/sci to find their churches and missions. It shows there is one mission at 3402 N. Prospect Rd. in Peoria. If you live in that area, you can check it for activity to see if it is worth protesting. Maybe you can find a few friends and start a protest there.

I went to the mission in Des Plaines (northwest of Chicago) on a Saturday morning recently. It's just a small office located in the lower level of an office building. There was no activity there at that time.
  8. anonymousIL Member

Here are the two i found

1. 3402 North Prospect Road, Peoria, IL 61603

2. 2020 N. Wisconsin, Peoria, IL

Ive already got a couple of anon's lined up to help me protest. But i am still looking for more around the area closer to me
  9. Re: Chicago - January 8th, 2011 - Planning

I'm wondering if one of them is probably just an old address from when they moved or something. At the very least, I'd check the 2nd one to make sure it's an actual location first, unless you have it from a really good source. Cuz otherwise, I'd think it was just a leftover in Google Maps or something.

If you can get Peoria scene rejuvenated a little bit, good on ya. Maybe you'll find someone else here. I wouldn't bank on it right away, but maybe if you give it a few months...
  10. anonymousIL Member

Yeah im hoping that some people on here in IL are near Peoria so we could get a good size of us out there :D
  11. Paladin Member

The park is a good choice until we get the OK to protest in front of the Org. I'm the lazy person who wants to start at 1pm (especially during the winter and at the park). If I have the energy to make the long trip downtown that day then 1pm is when I will get there.
  12. Re: Chicago - January 8th, 2011 - Planning

OK, so it looks like Millennium Park will be the place. I'll post a guide into the OP in a day or two.

I was planning on showing up for this one at 1 p.m., so if anyone was dead-set on starting at noon, make sure you post about it here or something so others are aware. Cuz otherwise there might not be anyone there. That's fine if you wanna fly solo for a while or whatever, I just don't want anyone to show up and wonder where everyone went. Or if you want "earlybird" company at noon, lemme know so I can be there too.
  13. Re: Chicago - January 8th, 2011 - Planning

Off-topic post: Haha, I dunno how I missed this, but here's a funny story from a recent Chicago ex from the ESMB thread about the Cincinatti auditor leaving:

loool
  14. anonymousIL Member

I wont be able to make it to chi town for the 8th. :(
  15. LegionODD Member

i'd love to make the trip down but i has no way of getting there
  16. 9376 Member

anonIL and LegionODD, message me where you're at (roughly) and I may be able to arrange something. Maybe.
    I've been sick for a pretty solid month (Wish I were Clear now, don't I?) but assuming I'm not dead/dying by then, I am there.

Also, this.
    Delphi Academy of Chicago | Facebook
  17. anonymousIL Member

We're hoping this group, Anonymous, comes to their senses," Cusano said. "They're crying freedom, but they're protesting religious freedom. I hope they become aware of this themselves. If not, we have ordinances to instill that in them."

UMMM WOW!
  18. Re: Chicago - January 8th, 2011 - Planning

Watch out bro, just for quoting that, she might go through your coat pockets without permission to find out if you're on medication.

Anyway, even if Scientology were a religion (which it isn't), I'm pretty sure nobody would really care if they wanted to believe in the evil galactic overlord Xenu as long as they didn't lie about it and do the bait-and-switch fraud with it. We don't protest the Freezone or other UFO groups like the Raelians, after all.