Customize

Chicago - June 12, 2010 - Planning

Discussion in 'USA - Central/Mountain' started by Strong Strength, May 15, 2010.

1. Chicago - June 12, 2010 - Planning

I don't make decisions for the group (we do that collectively), so some of this info could change; keep an eye out. That said, I've heard nothing to the contrary, so if we end up doing the usual, it'll end up being...

Date: Saturday, June 12, 2010
    (We always do our monthly thang on the 2nd Saturday of the month)

Location: Millennium Park in downtown Chicago, at the intersection of Michigan Ave. and Madison St. Look for the rejects in masks.

Time: Noon until around 3 p.m. This is just a rough guideline. Obviously, you can show up and leave whenever you want; that's the American way, and anything else means the terrorists have won. Many of us start around noon and then usually a few people come about an hour later. Sometimes we have people there as early as 11, but I wouldn't assume anyone else will be there unless they're definitively saying so. We stay until the group runs out of steam, which usually happens around 3 or so.

Bring: Yourself. That's all that's required. If you want to conceal your superhero identity, bring a disguise too. There's also stuff to keep you comfortable: sunblock, an umbrella, comfy footwear, and something to drink. Rock your own sign and fliers, or borrow some from us - we normally have plenty of each.

You've got questions? We've got answers.

Also, to the person who's been acting as the park liaison, could you please send me a PM? I have a question I'd like to relay.
  2. 9376 Member

Re: Chicago - June 12, 2010 - Planning

SEA ARRRGH III
  3. W3AR3MANY Member

I'm in.
  4. Pengu4566 Member

im up for it as well
  5. Re: Chicago - June 12, 2010 - Planning

...Wait... There was a Sea Arrrgh II in Chicago?

:D
  6. 3rdMan Member

3631121377_1508db8672.jpg
  7. Anonymous6989 Member

I hope to make it, if I can coerce my chauffeur into spending the day in Chicago again. Last time, he lost his truck, because he's an idiot.
  8. Re: Chicago - June 12, 2010 - Planning

If I recall correctly, there was pirate wench with a really good costume there too, but she had to leave fairly early, before photos were taken. :(

Did he forget where he parked it, or was it towed or something? Nevermind, I guess it's none of my business anyway. I find I never pay attention to where the vehicle's parked unless I'm the driver. :l

Hope you can drop by though!
  9. Re: Chicago - June 12, 2010 - Planning

Looks like Nashville did their own version of this Jai Ho dance at their protest:

I'm going to try it this upcoming month. Anyone else want to do it with me? It's really simple and you can learn it really fast. With me there, you're guaranteed to not be the worst dancer. Plus, self-dignity is overrated.
  10. metgyre Member

gonna try to make it as i havn't seen you guys in a while. also, why is the chicago board dead? also candlejack
  11. Re: Chicago - June 12, 2010 - Planning

Awesome, people have been asking about you. I'll bring a Mt. Dew for ya, no kidding, in the case that you're able to be there.

It seems to me that, at some point a number of months ago, settings were changed so that newly-registered accounts now require an additional step of manual activation by the admin in order to go live. Combine that with the fact that the admin hasn't been around in a few months, and the board is now completely frozen and inaccessible to any new people.

I think there are other reasons too, but that's one of the major ones.

That's nothing to be worried about. The big problem around these forums is the sniper who has been picking people off, so stay quiet and duck your hea-
  12. CBAnon Member

I'm back faggots.
  13. TinyDancer Member

14. Baas Member

If I'm back in town in time, I'll definitely show up. I've been a fag.
  15. CBAnon Member

Dammit, get an early flight!!!
  16. PenneNoodles Member

Chances are this will be my last protest since I have a lot of real life stuff coming up. I'll try to make it to a couple miniraids otherwise but that may not happen.

So I'll be there.
  17. CBAnon Member

We'll just have to make this a good one.
  18. Re: Chicago - June 12, 2010 - Planning

Penne - Go ye with the blessings of the Fresh Wizard of Bel-Air.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE7kr5udOfI[/ame]
  19. HookerMilitia Member

I've never been to a protest but I plan on coming to this one.

What's up with the Chicago Scientology folks? Is the org not very popular? (asking because of the Millenium Park thing)
  20. CBAnon Member

Well, the Chi org is out of the way. We can reach more people by going to MP.
  21. Re: Chicago - June 12, 2010 - Planning

We've demonstrated at both the Chicago org and Millennium Park. I think there are pluses and minuses to both of them.

Millennium Park
    - Beautiful location, generally fun and "stimulating" (ha) - more stuff tends to be going on, and some people get less bored here
    - Lots of opportunity to reach the public, excellent public visibility, lots of tourists
    - Good spot for handing out fliers
    - Park security and police are totally cool with us
    - Very easy to get to, which is Kind of a Big Deal as it seems we have a lot of out-of-townies
    - Can't address the org and the people inside directly

Chicago Org
    - Gives us a chance to get our message straight to those inside (although they usually turtle up and the place is mostly a ghost town, so it's not clear how much of a plus that is)
    - Lots and lots of cars passing by (very good)
    - Fairly low foot traffic - this means fewer people to talk to, fewer take photos with, flier handout counts are like 10-30% what they are at Millennium Park, less entertainment that isn't produced by us
    - Questions of how close we can get to the building, since there is a law in Chicago that prevents demonstrations within 150 ft. of churches and there is a murky legal issue of the Scientologists trying to wrangle it to stop us from getting too close
    - Some people find the location less convenient - e.g. those living out of town might be looking at a train ride into the city followed by an El trip to the org each way, and it starts to add up to a lot of time and not insignificant cost. Or you get people who don't want to deal with city traffic and parking.

I personally like both locations, and I'm sure the group will continue to do both in the future. More often we do Millennium, which will probably be completely jumping in the summertime, but the Org still gets visits from time to time.

Of course, you're free to do what you want and give input or suggestions to the group on where you'd like to go. Although if there's a question of location, it's probably best to hash out the discussion a number of weeks in advance so we aren't scrambling around having a debate with just days to go.
  22. HookerMilitia Member

Strong Stength: Wow. That was an awesomely detailed response. Thanks!
  23. CBAnon Member

He probably had it saved for future use. Lol
  24. VeritasVincit Member

Hey chicago people, im new to this all and would love some info on chicago area stuff so that i may get involved, do i simply show up and say hey, do i wear a certain mask.. shall i dress like abraham lincoln, ok that one was kinda random but anyway....any info would be greatly appreciated
  25. Re: Chicago - June 12, 2010 - Planning

You're welcome. I'm just relieved my textwall response didn't come off as too obnoxious.

The only rule... is that there are no rules! s626n7.gif

Seriously, though, you just show up, say hi, and roll with it. There's not any red tape or secret handshakes or anything.

You can wear whatever you want. Some people go with the V mask, others go with different disguises, and some people don't wear anything. (At all. No clothes. They show up nude.) I assume you were joking about the Abraham Lincoln getup, but that would be hot.

If you want a more general idea of what our events are like, I shamelessly offer the links in my signature. Also, I don't know what time you were thinking of being there, but if you're a new person, you may feel more comfortable showing up later in the event (maybe close to 1'ish). By then, more people should have arrived and you can meld into the group like a ninja. Sometimes new people feel a little weird being thrust out at the forefront, being one of the first people out there, so showing up a little later can help people dodge that awkwardness, if they care about that sort of thing. But roll however you want.

Anything else I can clear up for you? If so, ask away.
  26. VeritasVincit Member

Ok, thanks for getting back to me. While the abraham lincoln thing is tempting, maybe ill pull that off when i have some more money...right now im at cashius minimus. I have always wanted to wear a V mask in public and this seems to be as good of a reason as any to justify doing so. Is there some kind of mask donning etiquette? do i put it on 5 blocks away and then take a circuitous route to get there, doubling back on my tracks every other block to confuse the general public? or do you all meet unmasked and then put them on? Also as far as being right out there in the front/ blending in, i could care less, shyness is most certainly a concept i know nothing about. I hope to be able to make this next even but no promises, as i just discovered this group recently...if i cant make the june one i will for sure be able to make the july one if and when the july one exists. Also to those who hate stories, i apologize for my insanely long posts, just trying to learn stuff...about stuff so i can get involved....with stuff
  27. metgyre Member

i remember my first raid. first solo trip to chitown. walking down the street. saw fags in masks and got super fucking excited. ran into the crowd yelling something along the lines of "im new here. who wants mountain dew?"

im also one of the fags that travels really far for real money to get to raids and i prefer mp. way easier for me to get to.

on another note. i heard the sniper was caug-
  28. VeritasVincit Member

Now how am I supposed to ever get any information on how to join this noble cause if this forum sniper is allowed to remain on the loose???
  29. CBAnon Member

I'll give him something. But seriously, just show up, bring a mask, and enjoy the faggottry.
  30. 9376 Member

31. CBAnon Member

I think we should se up a sign with a 2D barcode. Many phone and some cameras would translate the code almost as soon as seen. Might even prevent the pictures from being taken. Toss up WWP, any xenu site, and hell, OTIII.
  32. Onearmdude Member

I feel horrible, the last time I made it for a protest was back in October 08' with Strong Strength. I'll do my best to make it to this one.
  33. CBAnon Member

That's be sweet.
  34. VeritasVincit Member

Hows the reception from the local scientologists in the area...do they come all the way down to the park to harass ever, or pull any other nonsense?
  35. anonsono Member

You can count on me to be there 12 sharp toz protests this dildos
  36. CBAnon Member

At MP, we get limited scilon activity. We used to have a handler with an epic moustache and a yellow short taking pictures of us, bit sadly, he's gone. We miss you Dominic! Come back!
  37. 9376 Member

He's not gone, he's off running a miniorg
  38. metgyre Member

i really need to come down for a monthly again. i need to see all these newfags in person. i keep hearing about them. and are people really asking about me at raids? its weird. im not that cool.
  39. CBAnon Member

Your cool. Your mom said so.