Customize

Chicago Scientology protest - Feb. 12th, 2011

Discussion in 'Follow Up' started by Strong Strength, Feb 12, 2011.

1. ...............................

Legal background, skip if you know it already: For those who aren't familiar with the ongoing dispute over protesting Scientology in Chicago, I recommend brushing up on the story at the Chicago Tribune article and possibly the WWP thread.

So after we had someone go ahead and get cited on purpose to test the 150-foot law and the judge threw the case out, and the Chicago police stated that they wouldn't be making arrests under this law for a (real) church service, you'd think we were in the clear for today. Right? Well... not so much.

The drama: We kicked things off by showing up in front of their building, where the place was looking a lot more active than usual. (I heard they were having an event that day.) Unsurprisingly, they called the police immediately, who had no problem with us as we weren't blocking sidewalk access. After the "masks are scary" claim failed the Scientologists, they started bitching about the 150-foot law again.

So then the first set of officers said that law would require us to move, but they relented after we showed legal documents (namely, the one of the CPD no longer enforcing the 150-foot law, and of the same citation getting tossed in court). Not getting what they wanted yet, the Scientologists called in a supervisor, who spent a good half-hour talking to them inside their building, and then came out and said he was going to compromise by "allowing" them to claim worship services for a couple of hours (until 4 p.m.), but not all day. It was implied that anyone who didn't move 150 feet away would be arrested. I don't recall this officer making any real attempt to look at our documents, and honestly it seemed a bit arbitrary about how he chose a 2-hour time period to be the limit on their "services."

Anyway, we had fun at the nearby intersection for a while, and then we moved back in front of their building after 4 p.m. The cops were called again, and as often happens with the CPD there, none of the new-shift officers who arrived seemed to have any knowledge of what had transpired before. They were called inside the building to talk to them, didn't seem to either know or care about the 4 p.m. declaration, came out and simply ordered everyone away again. It was pretty late and we'd had a good day, so we packed up and got going.

So according to our experiences with the police today, demonstrating there went from OK, to not OK, to OK, to OK after 4 p.m., to not OK. Welcome to protesting Scientology in Chicago. Previous months have gone very similarly.

In the end: We had a lot of fun, did a very good job of getting our message out in the cold and snow, and are considering our options for what our next move might be. Shoutouts to all the new people and returning old-schoolers. There should be lots of stories, pics, and video coming in this thread over the next few days, so check back soon.
    • Like Like x 5
  2. There were several people taking photos, so I hope some of them decide to share theirs, because my digital camera takes crappy pics. But for what it's worth:

5439784157_dd0dbd0b69_z.jpg

5439784453_2bc50dd906_z.jpg

5440388276_11d5db80d5_z.jpg

5439785477_ec8125306c_z.jpg

5439785955_4109dfc232_z.jpg

5440389314_3b87b81d1c_z.jpg

5440388502_8023690703_z.jpg

5439785245_d2b60fe15e_z.jpg

5440390306_759c5cdf91_z.jpg

5439786407_5edb1ae554_z.jpg

[IMG]
    • Like Like x 4
  3. The cult is counting on Anony protestors to not organize and complain to the police or City Council who wrote the law. Don't take this lying down!!! Some how,,, we need to get a City court judge to decide one way or the other, or else mention this in a city council meeting!
    Good luck Chicago-nons!!!
  4. Meatwad Member

DOMINEC CUSANO WAS MEAN TODAY :CCCCCCCC
  5. Anonymous Member

Heh
  6. Yes I can tell all of your "churches" follow similar schedules..... It's so official being typed on a piece of paper you hung on your door. Not advertised everywhere. So if I go to the website Your service times are posted there? Or aren't they called hours of operation?

LOL closer inspection shows it isn't even level. It's crooked! Just like the services!
  7. OTBT Member

Hmmmm, so this is how they are trying to claim nonstop religious church services 7 days a week?

Text for Google indexing

CHURCH OF SCIENTOLOGY OF ILLINOIS
    3011 N. LINCOLN AVE
    CHICAGO IL 60657
    773-348-7788

HOURS OF SERVICE FOR MINISTERS IN
    TRAINING AND RELIGIOUS STUDY (ACADEMY)

MON 9:30am-NOON, 1pm-6pm, 7pm-9:30pm
    TUES 9:30am-NOON, 1pm-6pm, 7pm-9:30pm
    WED 9:30am-NOON, 1pm-6pm, 7pm-9:30pm
    THURS 9:30am-NOON, 1pm-6pm, 7pm-9:30pm
    FRI 9:30am-NOON, 1pm-6pm, 7pm-9:30pm

SAT/SUN 9:30am-NOON, 1pm-6pm

IN ADDITION TO: RELIGIOUS ASSEMBLY FOR
    DIANETICS SEMINAR AND MINISTERIAL
    SERVICE:
    ONE ON ONE COUNSELING, GROUP
    COUNSELING
    ALL DAY SAT AND SUNDAY 9AM-9PM

8. Ann O'Nymous Member

Nice was intermittent ? Interesting.
  9. 3rdMan Member

I see some very familiar masked faces! Awesome raid looks awesome.
  10. Sponge Member

Hmm, They really do want you to challenge that law, don't they. :D
  11. i'mglib Member

Lol, love the hours of "service". Give me a break.

Great job guys, but I gotta ask, what's all that white stuff piled up on the ground?

Jk.

Jk.
  12. ravenanon Member

excellent enturbulation in the snow
  13. xenubarb Member

Meatwad hat. I lol'd!
  14. dogcmp6 Member

LOLOLOLOLOL My end of video is coming soon
  15. Darth Xander Member

All in all a pretty good raid. I anticipated the legal situation might go the way it did and have already taken remedial steps. See you in court Supervising Officer Edeling. Not the Daley Center, mind you, but the big black building down the street at 219 S. Dearborn.

Highlights for me included:

-A rather (relatively speaking of course) long conversation with Public Registrar Jesse Wells. Told him about the New Yorker article and the beatings and he gave me the standard "I won't bother to tell you the real story" line. Probably the most sustained conversation I've had with a Scientologist ever.

-Repeatedly informing three NOI ladies who came and went throughout the day of what exactly Scientology thinks of Allah and Muhammed.

-Spotting Domenic across the street and giving him a nice warm Anon welcome as he came to the Org. While he was yelling "You don't have my permission" to those filming, I know on the inside he was really saying, "&$#%@ all of you!"

-Spotting Public Executive Secretary Tony sitting in his car at the light and walking over to make sure he got a good view of my sign.

-First instance I know of sign tech being used at the Org. Loved the huge portrait of LRH.

-The inscrutable logic of a passerby who informed us we should simply ignore Scientology and it will go away. In the meantime, families continue to be torn apart and Sea Org members get beat up by a sociopath.

Can't wait to see the videos guys.

Dra, I ended up with some of your cookies after the raid. Thank you very much for them. Prefer the scarf to the mask too.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. 3rdMan Member

CHIFAGS MADE DOMINIC LOOSE HIS COOL? HOLY SHIT, THAT IS DARK SIGN FOR THE SCIFAGS.
  17. Give the guy his e-meters back! Here's a short interview with someone who came out to watch us at the protest.

My general raid video is coming in a day or two also.
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Dra Member

Good raid even though we had to move numerous times. Glad you guys liked the cookies. I will try to make more for the next raid. :)
  19. Shalashaska Member

What a fun raid, glad I was able to make it.
  20. Shalashaska Member

I was supprised you guys didn't have this song on your playlist. It's probably the most accurate discription of Scientology a song could give.

21. creepyesdsdie Member

"Come to the dark side. We have cookies." is now true. Thanks to Dra.
    I had a fun time, but I felt bad for dogchimp standing outside the org with a "free hugs" sign and not getting any free hugs from Domenic. He was clearly upset about this.
    Would have been nice though if when we went back in front of the org at 4, and that first cop car rolled by, said "It's okay, just don't block the entrance or the sidewalk and you're good", if we had gotten the guy's car number for when the next set of cops rolled around only to be persuaded by our little scilon buddy that we couldn't be there anymore.
    • Like Like x 4
  22. amaX Member

Dayum. I'm freezing just looking at the pictures. Well done, ChiAnons! doinitrite! <3
  23. 3rdMan Member

Epic video is epic.
  24. Ann O'Nymous Member

May I suggest you to request police decision in writing ?
  25. Sponge Member

26. dogcmp6 Member

Heres my vid, not the best one I have done, I used an old tape, and parts of it were messed up, but heres what I was able to salavage

Mod Edit: I did remove a small piece in the middle of the video
    • Like Like x 4
  27. Anonymous Member

I liked the Final Fantasy 7 music.
  28. OTBT Member

Great work
  29. That is an excellent idea - well, either that or just continuing to work out the issue with the police in one form or another. Thing is, I'm told the last time someone tried to talk to the police about the whole 150-foot situation months ago, law enforcement gave them the runaround and essentially said there was no precedent for meeting with protesters. (We wanted to come to the station to talk for 5 or 10 minutes in hopes of avoiding exactly these types of on-site clusterfucks of confusion.) They simply told us to speak to the alderman. Which is fine and good, but the alderman isn't the person who we have to deal with on the day-to-day basis when we're actually out there.

I was disappointed, because it felt like they were just shrugging us off. But we won't give up so easily, and we'll continue ironing this out for as long as it takes.

The sidewalk was very narrow due to all the snow, so there were a bunch of people all lined up and not much room to maneuver. Even so, fuck me for not getting good footage of it. And there's no excuse for my not being more vigilant, because someone said last year that OT8 Jay Mann grabbed their camera too. I wouldn't have expected Domenic to be so careless about taking a swipe at someone's stuff, but that was my mistake to assume he would keep his cool.
  30. Baas Member

One of the officers suggested that we talk to the 19th district chief. I don't think he seriously expects us to follow up on it, but I am going to do this later this week. I doubt that we are going to get anything in writing though, assuming I don't get stonewalled while trying to talk to him. We'll see.
  31. Paladin Member

Well it certainly was an action packed day. You never know what to expect when you go to the Chicago Org. I was standing next to Dog when Dominic started ranting about Dog's camera. I was totally caught off-guard by that. The Scilons take our picures all the time. I guess Dominic must really be feeling the pressure of our protests.
  32. Meatwad Member

BITCH DON'T ACT LIKE U DON'T KNOW WHO I AM
  33. Anonymous Member

34. Jiskastya Member

Protest
    Can wait for my first protest :)
  35. Zak McKracken Member

Cans work, and they help people.
    Why doesn't Scientology want him to be free?
  36. Darth Xander Member

During this and the December 2010 raid a local photographer stopped by to chat with us and take some pics. Its been awhile, but he finally posted the pics up on his blog. (Better late than never right?) Here's the link to his pics:

http://www.camerainmyhand.com/?p=196
    • Like Like x 1
  37. 3rdMan Member

Late photographer is late, lol. But great to see him give Chifags coverage.
    • Like Like x 3