Customize

Cincinnati: The day anon tried to help scientology

Discussion in 'USA - East Coast' started by the_cloak, Jan 30, 2010.

1. the_cloak Member

Cincinnati: The day anon tried to help scientology

We did our raid with a twist today. One of our anons happend upon a pile of cult books at a library book giveaway. These are still shrink wrapped and totally unread and the library didn't want to shelve them because they need the space for more serious things like books on astronomy, romance, adventure and giant red dogs named Clifford. So we happily took them off their hands and decided that for todays raid we would set up a free book stand. I mean we feel sorry for the Cincinnati scilons. They can't seem to sell any of those books that sit in their windows and fade from the sun. In fact they now sit in a small side room with a lonely picture of L. Ron looking out over them gloomily. So we decided to help and started offering free scientology books.

Funny how no one was interested in them. We couldn't even give these things away. So we froze in 20 degree weather and enjoyed all the horn love instead.

Sorry Cincinnati scientology, we tried to help! Pity everyone thinks L. Ron was a big fat con artist but you.
  2. Anon123456 Member

Re: Cincinnati: The day anon tried to help scientology

lulz
  3. Re: Cincinnati: The day anon tried to help scientology

Maybe you should give them to the ORG lol
  4. lokimotion Member

Pics please.
  5. the_cloak Member

I'm working on those now
  6. Anonymous Member

Bwahahahahahahaha. How delightfully morale destroying.
  7. Re: Cincinnati: The day anon tried to help scientology

I take it back. Have those books out at every Protest for demoralizing.

funny_pictures_sad_cat_blackandwhite.jpg
  8. Ogsonofgroo Member

LMAO! Cininnatanons ROCK! (as usual), that there is perty funny stuff Cloak, kudos and caeks to y'all.
  9. Anonymous Member

DO IT
  10. Scatman Member

This is WIN.
  11. subgenius Member

forgot to check with cinci anons when there recently....stockyard cafe????
    nice job, folks
  12. Re: Cincinnati: The day anon tried to help scientology

[IMG]
  13. Consensus Member

This is brilliant. Not only does it demoralize the scilons, it undermines a well-researched and proven psychological trick.

If you pay money for a book, you're more likely to accept its points. This is related to cognitive dissonance research. If someone hands you a pamphlet on the street, you're likely to dismiss it as bullshit. If you buy a book at a store (even - maybe especially - if it was after a high-pressure sales technique), you're more likely to think there's something to it.

Make their books available for free, especially in a context that says 'We don't believe this stuff, but feel free to read it and decide for yourself', you undermine their recruiting.

Well, you would undermine their recruiting, if anyone was falling for this shit anymore.

I have two set of the basics sitting at home, plus the basics audio books, from similar library sales. Nobody wants this trash.

Oh, one more thing: be sure to pull all the postage paid cards from the books before you give them away. Some books have 3 or 4 cards in 'em. Mail 'em in with words of support and encouragement ('you don't have to do this', 'you're free to leave', 'it's okay to doubt', stuff like that) or of blatant trolling and mail them in.
  14. frettchen007 Member

^^^this^^^

and

[IMG]
  15. Anonymous Member

excellent work CINCY!
  16. Sponge Member

LOL

Suggested title for raid video: "Scientology? You can't even give it away thesedays"
  17. Anonymous Member

4317446424_f211591b50_m.jpg
  18. the_cloak Member

No vid, just taking stills. The vid is not worth seeing because the scilons were very boring today. The only thing of note was that 2 of the scilons kept going in for a few minutes and then leaving and wandering the streets and coming back. You would think they would have had studying or auditing or something that needed to be done.

BTW, pics are coming, I'm having some computer issues. My graphics card is being snotty and keeps cutting out. One of the other anons may beat me to the pics as he had a nice SLR camera there too.
  19. Anonymous Member

Okay, I 'll help you over analyze this. People also claim that if you give something away (like Hare Krishnas give away a free vegetarian meal) the person receiving it will be more likely to accept it, and be more receptive to you, because it was given as a gift. But in this case it would be more accepted as crap because the person giving it to you is saying "look at this crap!".

Lron even offered the suggestion that you buy his books (like 'theway to happiness') and give them away as gifts for this reason. But you still had to buy the books from him.
  20. the_cloak Member

Here's pics. Only 3 because there really wasn't much to show. One of the other anons had a still cam and took much better pics. He can put them here when he has them ready.

picture10rl.png

Cinci org for sale! If you know anyone who wants to buy a dump in downtown Cincinnati, go for it. I think next time I'll bring signs with an arrow to point at them which says, "Would make a good parking lot".

picture12a.png

Here is the tiny little room walled off from the rest of the org that they are now using as a bookstore. No one bothered to man it despite the fact there was huge music education convention over at the Duke Energy center across the way from them. We got a lot of love from the con goers who passed us by. Scilons got zliltch. I wish I had brought some of L. Rons music to show them from that god awful Road to Freedom album. That would have been a riot.

picture11pz.png

Hubbard is SO RONRY!

Edit: Shit, I forgot the book give away pic.

[IMG]

And the pigeon who protested with us after someone dropped a cookie.

picture14pt.png
  21. ryangiggs Member

^
    If a group leader's writings are of any value in the real world, I think they should have a price. There is also the possibility that when a cult member finds a willing buyer, that sale is contributing 'good points' to the member. I'm not going to be part of that.
  22. amaX Member

projchan66.png

[COLOR="White"].[/COLOR]
  23. grumpus Member

Absolutely hilarious and full of win.

inb4 AnonMom says for me to quit threadstalking her. ;D
  24. Rockyj Member

book-burning-in-the-ussr-and-nazi-germany.gif

This is the only time I will ever believe in Book Burning!
  25. Re: Cincinnati: The day anon tried to help scientology

"...even the fire dosen't want them."

Actually, don't burn! Recycle!

They can be turned into something genuinely useful to humanity, like toilet paper.
  26. TONE 40 Member

INTRODUCE LIGHTHEARTED AND EFFECTIVE HUMOR INTO YOUR PROTESTS!

THANK YOU!
  27. Anon123456 Member

or you can make it into an art piece and try to get it displayed at a gallery. oh the lulz that would ensue are endless.

"well we figured we would take these crappy cult books and make them into something useful to mankind"
  28. Cudgel Member

More Pix

three_10.jpg
    Three of the Intrepid Four

rusty_10.jpg
    Rusty came masked for the cold

captai10.jpg
    Captain Goodnight and the book cart

gq_the10.jpg
    A scilon tries hard to ignore the free books. The pair walked past three times but never took any...

still_10.jpg
    Back to parking illegally and still for sale: rumor has it they can't move into the 'ideal' org until they sell this place...

scary_10.jpg
    Scary takes a try at giving away the books...
  29. Cudgel Member

Speaking of things free, this quite is in the front of several of the first editions of Hubbard's books in my library. It is not in current volumes:

I'll not always be here on guard.

The stars twinkle in the Milky Way and the wind sighs for songs across the empty fields of a planet a Galaxy away.

You won't always be here.

But before you go, whisper this to your sons and their sons - "The work was free. Keep it so."

hmm...
  30. Ogsonofgroo Member

Plaster the freebies with warning stickers/YFTC's/bio-hazzard/poison symbols etc., and lists of links.
    Just a thot.
  31. Kilia Member

Great job, Cincinnati.
    <3
  32. Sotto Voce Member

pigh.jpg
  33. Re: Cincinnati: The day anon tried to help scientology

It's amazing what a Bic pen can do or even a Sharpie. It's also amazing what scissors, glue, and clippings from various publications can do to improve a book. "WhiteOut" is also amazing.

You could always "annotate" them if you know what I mean. And THEN you could leave them in all sorts of places.
  34. Anonymous Member

35. BigBeard Member

You could turn the book pages into paper mache and build a life size Xenu to protest with.

BigBeard
  36. Anonymous Member

Yeah... good move, if you give them to the org all they're going to do is sell them for profit... bastards. Money money money.
  37. Ann O'Nymous Member

Pigeon Tech is nice.
  38. anonohio Member

well done, guys. I remember in college we used to go to the square in cinci to hang out with the homeless people on weekends, bring them food and stuff....anyways one time we walked past the scientology building and an older guy with a ponytail started talking to use about the stress test....had no clue what it was about (this was when I knew nothing about scientology), but the place looked like a dump, kinda shady, so we passed.
  39. PimpXenu Member

Makes a good point. If people see free, they usually think there's something wrong with it.

I remember i had some old truck rims i found at a swap meet once, had them around for about 5 years. I set them out by the road eventually with a big "free" sign on them. They sat out there for a week, nobody took them. I told this guy at work, he said "Put a sign that says $50 on them, they'll disapear".

Thats what i did, someone "stole" them within an hour.
  40. Cudgel Member

Looks like Feb. 27 is going to be the date for Cincinnati this month. Why not come by and at least say hello...
    Or join us on cincyanon.org to help with suggestions about protest themes, signs and handouts.