Customize

Claire Headley v. CSI & RTC - Lawsuit filed - JAN 20, 2009:

Discussion in 'Marc Headley v. Church of Scientology Internationa' started by blownforgood, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Anonymous Member

Re: Claire Headley v. CSI & RTC - Lawsuit filed - JAN 20, 2009:

why yes I did see...its much clairer now
  2. Re: Claire Headley Lawsuit filed - JAN 20, 2009: Claire Headley v. CSI & RTC

I don't know about Roberta, but I will say this...that "trust deed" scam sounds achingly familiar in many many ways...*note* the gist of it, not all details* to something I have strong reason to believe is already under close scrutiny re mortgage fraud, ect ect and the clams.
  3. Nightwing Member

all that needs to happen is people with in sciontoligy to relise they have been coned and its a cult.
    that would screw the scilons up
  4. LilDebbie Member

cool story bro
  5. whoever Member

[IMG]
  6. Re: Claire Headley v. CSI & RTC - Lawsuit filed - JAN 20, 2009:

[IMG]
  7. JohnnyRUClear Member

[IMG]
  8. Anonymous Member

I see T-Rex is looking much better today, fleas aside.
  9. nightfire Member

HEY doesn't the trial... or something start on Friday?
  10. Anonymous Member

Maybe if you are talking about AO's trial.
  11. whosit Member

12. Re: Claire Headley v. CSI & RTC - Lawsuit filed - JAN 20, 2009:

Gotta love Marc and Claire Headley, not taking Scientology hush money like so many others and pursuing these landmark cases. These cases are critical in exposing the truth about their labor abuses amongst many others especially the child labor abuses that have been going on for decades and continue to this day.
  13. greebly Member

Any updates on this case ?
    I think a full database is needed with dates etc. to keep track of the varying suits and legal action taking place.

sifting through threads takes a long time.

troll me
  14. LarryBren Member

15. Anonymous Member

May help to just post the case numbers and the court website in a conspicuous place. Easy to keep up with motions and trial dates via the court's website.

Seem to remember reading that these cases have been moved to federal court. What are the new case numbers? That's all one would need in order to see when the trials and hearings are scheduled for.
  16. Re: Claire Headley v. CSI & RTC - Lawsuit filed - JAN 20, 2009:

Today in Federal District Court, the court made a tentative ruling granting CSI and RTC's summary judgment motion in both Claire and Marc Headley's lawsuits. Federal District Court Judge Dale S. Fischer said her official order would be ready by the end of the week.

Judge Fischer indicated that the plaintiffs had not presented sufficient evidence of their human trafficking claim to proceed to trial. Representing the plaintiffs, attorney Kathryn Darnell, said in arguments that CSI and RTC used psychological and other forms for pressure as submitted in a declaration by Robert V. Levine, PhD. Judge Fischer said Levine's declaration was "the most worthless she had seen." The judge also referenced Ms. Headley's statements that "I thought I was enjoying myself at the time" and said that did not support bringing a human trafficking complaint. The court said if it accepted the plaintiff's evidence as true the court would have to call the sheriff and have him rescue everyone there because they were all victims of human trafficking but did not know it.

Ralph Metzger, also appearing for the plaintiff's, told the court that the two lawsuits started out as labor law complaints when attorney Barry Van Sickle filed two lawsuits in 2009 but Mr. Metzger said his firm viewed the complaint more as a human trafficking violation. The court was critical of plaintiff attorneys, Mr. Metzger and Ms. Darnell, for not following all local rules and standing court orders in their filings as well as other procedural issues.

Attorney Marc Marmaro, for the defense, did not offer argument before the court on their motion today. The court did remark to him that his argument that the court could not inquire into a human trafficking civil suit because it would require RTC and CSI to put their religion on trial was interesting and that no court had ever ruled on such an issue. The court pointed out that if a religion had in it's belief that sexual harassment was wrong, the court, by the defense's argument, could look into such a complaint due to the Establishment Clause, but if a religion were to have a practice such as sexual harassment in its beliefs that the court, by the defense's argument, would not be able to inquire into such an issue.

Although the court has not yet issued a formal written decision, the court's statement indicates that judgment on the lawsuits will be entered for the defense.

The cases are 09-CV-03987 and 09-CV-03968 before the United States District Court Central District of California.
  17. xenubarb Member

Annoying news indeed...
  18. Anonymous Member

Are any other bits of the cases still active?
  19. Anonymous Member

As if we really expected anything different.
  20. Anonymous Member

what about the labor law violations complaint for Marc?
  21. RightOn Member

wow, this blows
    can they appeal to a higher court? Don't know law
  22. Smurf Member

Of course. They can appeal it all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court if they are inclined. But it is a very expensive journey getting there.
  23. Anonymous Member

Where is the source for this? Do you have a link?

24. Anonymous Member

25. Smurf Member

You can find the info at the U.S. District Court website - case search, but it'll cost you.
  26. Sponge Member

marklowell99 is a trusted source. It was probably an eyewitness report from the court. I doubt there will be anything useful to see in the court system just yet.
  27. Sponge Member

As I understand it, the Rathbun declaration was already filed. The date is just the court date for the hearing and was the same as what was on the original publication of it a couple of weeks ago.
  28. Anonymous Member

This is NOT over.

Until next time...
  29. Re: Claire Headley v. CSI & RTC - Lawsuit filed - JAN 20, 2009:

I am the source. I wrote it.
  30. Anonymous Member

Thanks marklowell99.
    btw, it's "Barry Van Sickle" (not Strickland)
  31. Anonymous Member

Sounds like the judge REALLY had a hair up her butt.

^^
    pretty strong language.
    She doesn't believe that mere psychological pressure can be coercive?

Either they failed to make their case, or they did make their case but she wasn't interested. They may not have had much of a chance.

Disappointing, but the sheer venom rather surprised me.
    No sympathy for the plaintiffs whatsoever;
    no recognition that the allegations could have any basis in fact.

Was the filing really that weak?
  32. Smurf Member

Some interesting reviews of the judge in the case... Dale Susan Fischer..

"Judge Fischer, though smart and focused, is, in my opinion, one of the most biased judges I've come across. I echo the other write-up: she's heartless. She went out of her way to accomodate the government in a FTCA case, and I would recommend caution to anyone who steps in her courtroom, representing either a private litigant against the United States or a criminal defendant. I lost some faith in the system after crossing her path. I hestitated to write this, but felt that this had to be said."
    ----------------------------------------------------
    "Consistently biased in favor of corporate defendants and the government, and writes opinions that disguise her biases better than some of her other very conservative colleagues."
    -----------------------------------------------------
    "She is the ice princess. Not pleasant at all and seems to go out of her way to be insulting."

The Robing Room
  33. EyeOnSci Member

A setback.
  34. AnonLover Member

My heart goes out to the Headleys - your road has been a long hard one, and ya'all risked alot to get this far. thank you for persevering where others couldnt.
  35. i'mglib Member

I hope at least some of the case is still in tact.

And I hope they can get a new judge.

Also, I agree that the Headley's (and Laura D) are to be admired for putting themselves out there in this fight against this evil cult. Thank-you Marc and Claire and Laura.
  36. Anonymous Member

My hat is off to Claire and Marc Headley for exercising their rights under the law to redress of wrongs. The real winners in this are the Headleys who stood for truth and justice.

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    - Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963
  37. exOT8Michael Member

Well. shift happens.

This does not change the fact that the cult is eventually going to pay for its crimes against humanity, whether it is human trafficking, forced abortion, fraud, breaking up families, financial irregularities etc, etc....

Karma does not rely on the "Justice System" to balance out negative effects on the perpetrators. When the cult meets its decay and end, as it will, the final scene will only be more shocking or spectacular/lulzy with the added momentum of this particular miscarriage of justice.
  38. fisherman Member

So based on this logic: If a hundred Anons are enticed into slavery and coerced to work at Disneyland, it's not "human trafficking" if they happen to enjoy painting Mickey's ears and polishing Magic Mountain? Even if the work conditions violate wage and labor laws? I guess we won't look for the sheriff to rescue us and the seven dwarfs!

I've lost some "faith in the system" as well! :mad:

39. Krautfag Member

you know, over here we may not get to elect judges, but the decision to open trial in a case with that potential money value and potential criminal charges would have been reviewed by THREE judges.

Shouldn't that be decided in the ACTUAL trial?

This is an outrage and I hope the appeal court will rip the shit out of that stupid cunt. Since exactly when does the subjective feeling of the victim overrule factual actions of the offender?
    If the actual code of law determins the subjective feeling of the victim as qualifying matter for the offense, that feeling has to be in a clear state of mind and the victim must not have been tricked or betrayed by wrong information by the defender.

I wish I knew how to find references for the US legal system. -.-

Yes. maybe the court should do just that. "It isn't true because then I would have to do something"

Geez!

And that is the real point, I guess.

I'd say appeal and follow procedures this time.
  40. Anonymous Member

!