Customize

Clearwater Scientology Detox Sued 12-7-2012

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by Xenu Is Lord, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Xenu Is Lord Member

BROOKSVILLE — There are a couple of points that officials at Clearwater-based Toucan Partners LLC don't want coming up at next month's federal trial against Hernando County.
    They don't want any mention of the Church of Scientology. Nor do they want anyone to talk about recent deaths at a Scientology-related drug rehabilitation program.

Toucan Partners is the company that owns the land off Cessna Drive that currently houses the Suncoast Rehabilitation Center.

In recent depositions of those connected with both entities, the county's attorney has asked about the program's connections to Scientology and the problems at similar rehab centers.
    The questions specifically focused on how knowledge of those things might affect the decisions of potential patients to choose the Spring Hill facility.

In 2009, the Hernando County Commission turned down the company's proposal to expand from 21 to 54 beds on the 3-acre site. Commissioners cited incompatibility with the adjacent residential neighborhood among their reasons.

Toucan Partners sued, first in Circuit Court and then, in June 2011, in federal court, claiming the county had discriminated against disabled people, specifically recovering drug and alcohol abusers.

The company is seeking more than $6 million in damages for lost income from an expanded center, in addition to attorney's fees and other costs.

Last week, attorneys for Toucan filed two separate motions. One asks the judge to stop the county from mentioning the connection between Narconon, the company that operates the rehab center, and the controversial Church of Scientology.

The other seeks to keep the county from mentioning incidents that have happened at other Narconon facilities, including the recent deaths of four patients at Narconon's signature treatment facility in Oklahoma.

The Narconon program uses life skills courses modeled on the writings of L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of Scientology. Many Scientologists also support the program philosophically and financially, and it is featured prominently on the Scientology website.

"These items are just not relevant in a claim of failure to afford proper treatment to disabled people,'' Joe Mason, a Brooksville attorney representing Toucan Partners, said Friday.

The Oklahoma deaths, Mason said, "have nothing to do with granting a proper land use'' for the rehab center. And any mention of Scientology "could only be used to inflame a jury,'' Mason said. "The sole issue is whether Hernando County discriminated against recovering addicts.''
    Doug Noah, the attorney the county chose to defend it in federal court, did not return a phone call from the Times on Friday.

During the original hearing on the expansion, the County Commission heard from representatives of the rehab center and from neighbors who were concerned about the impact an expanded center could have on their community. Originally, the site was used as an adult congregate care center, but that use ended when Toucan Partners bought the property in 2008.

The federal suit was brought by the landowners based on alleged violations of the Fair Housing Act and discrimination against the handicapped, allegations the county denies.
    Barbara Behrendt can be reached at behrendt@tampabay.com or (352) 848-1434.
    [Last modified: Dec 07, 2012 08:55 PM]
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Xenu Is Lord Member

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Anonymous Member

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Xenu Is Lord Member

Looks like Jessica Feshbach has a brother or something as he is listed below.

Florida Limited Liability Company
    TOUCAN PARTNERS, LLC
    Filing Information
    Document Number L08000047664
    FEI/EIN Number 262952910
    Date Filed 05/13/2008
    State FL
    Status ACTIVE
    Principal Address
    1230 S, MYRTLE AVE
    CLEARWATER FL 33756
    Changed 04/29/2009
    Mailing Address
    1230 S, MYRTLE AVE
    CLEARWATER FL 33756
    Changed 04/29/2009
    Registered Agent Name & Address
    WILLIAMSON, STEVEN A
    911 CHESTNUT STREET
    CLEARWATER FL 33756 US
    Manager/Member Detail
    Name & Address
    Title MGR
    FESHBACH, KURT
    1230 S. MYRTLE AVENUE, STE. 401
    CLEARWATER FL 33756
    Annual Reports
    Report Year Filed Date
    2010 03/29/2010
    2011 04/25/2011
    2012 04/16/2012
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Xenu Is Lord Member

6. Xenu Is Lord Member

Suncoast Rehabilitation Center
    Our facility is located on three acres in Spring Hill, Florida – a private, safe and therapeutic environment for our clients.
    Phone Number:
    877-458-3938
    Administrative Address:
    1230 S. Myrtle Avenue
    Suite 404
    Clearwater, Florida 33756
  7. Anonymous Member

Mary M. gave an excellent comment at the TBT website. I hope she doesn't mind me copying it here.

"The legal name of the rehab program is Narconon Spring Hill, NOT Suncoast Rehabilitation Center. That's the first deception this company and other Narconons perpetrates on the public. In recent years, nearly all the Narconon programs use fictitious names and promote them without including the legal name identifying it as a Narconon program. This is done because Narconon has such a terrible but deserved bad reputation.

Kurt N Feshbach, the manager of Toucan Partners is a longtime scientologist who will
    do anything to get that land use approved. 99% of the people who attend the Spring Hill program are from out-of-state. None of this benefits the county or state. I am glad the county is persisting in denying the land use.

Narconon is a dangerous program based upon the same practices used in the church of scientology for it's members.People have died from this program. People have become ill because of the program"
    • Winner Winner x 4
  8. Xenu Is Lord Member

So they use the same address but one name is (Toucan Partners LLC) and the other (Suncoast Rehabilitation Center)

The Suncoast site has this disclaimer
    Copyright © 2008-2013 Narconon Spring Hill, Inc. DBA Suncoast Rehabilitation Center. All Rights Reserved.
    NARCONON and the NARCONON Logo are trademarks and service marks owned by Association for Better Living and Education and are used with its permission.

And yet they want the courts that keep the truth out about who they are!

I love the part where they are affordable and that recovering addicts are being discriminated against. Can you believe this shit!! They are abusing addicts everyday and then try and turn that shit on its head! The nerve, the fucking nerve!
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Xenu Is Lord Member

Thank you so much for posting this. I just ran the legal name and this is correct.

Florida Non Profit Corporation
    NARCONON SPRING HILL, INC.
    Filing Information
    Document Number N08000007518
    FEI/EIN Number 263151983
    Date Filed 08/08/2008
    State FL
    Status ACTIVE
    Last Event AMENDMENT
    Event Date Filed 11/10/2008
    Event Effective Date NONE
    Principal Address
    1230 S. MYRTLE AVENUE
    CLEARWATER FL 33756
    Changed 04/29/2009
    Mailing Address
    1230 S. MYRTLE AVENUE
    CLEARWATER FL 33756
    Changed 04/29/2009
    Registered Agent Name & Address
    HEIST, REBECCA
    JOHNSON, POPE, BOKOR, RUPPEL & BURNS, LLP
    911 CHESTNUT ST.
    CLEARWATER FL 33756 US
    Officer/Director Detail
    Name & Address
    Title P
    STRICKLING, TAMMY
    1230 S. MYRTLE AVENUE, STE. 404
    CLEARWATER FL 33756
    Title S
    WESCH, BRYN
    CLEARWATER FL 33756
    Title T
    STRICKLING, SEAN
    CLEARWATER FL 33756
    Annual Reports
    Report Year Filed Date
    2010 03/29/2010
    2011 04/27/2011
    2012 04/19/2012
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Anonymous Member

LOL at the attorney's name.

HEIST, REBECCA
    JOHNSON, POPE, BOKOR, RUPPEL & BURNS, LLP
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Xenu Is Lord Member

• Like Like x 1
  12. Xenu Is Lord Member

Sean Strickling resigned from Narconon in 2011

I wonder if all is not well in Narco Land http://www.sunbiz.org/pdf/00141343.pdf

Sean Strickling in Scientology's Published Service Completion Lists

The following 13 individual completions for Sean Strickling appear in official Scientology publications:
    Sean Strickling NEW STUDENT HAT COURSE Source 109 1997-08-01
    Sean Strickling NEW HUBBARD PROFESSIONAL TR COURSE Source 111 1997-11-01
    Sean Strickling HUBBARD PROFESSIONAL UPPER INDOC TR COURSE Source 111 1997-11-01
    Sean Strickling FLAG ONLY FLAG PROFESSIONAL METERING COURSE Source 115 1998-03-01
    Sean Strickling MINISTERIAL COURSE Source 117 1998-06-01
    Sean Strickling SCIENTOLOGY ACADEMY LEVEL 0 Source 118 1998-08-01
    Sean Strickling SCENTOLOGY ACADEMY LEVEL I Source 118 1998-08-01
    Sean Strickling SCIENTOLOGY ACADEMY LEVEL II Source 118 1998-08-01
    Sean Strickling SCIENTOLOGY DRUG RUNDOWN AUDITOR COURSE Source 120 1998-12-01
    Sean Strickling SCIENTOLOGY ACADEMY LEVEL III Source 120 1998-12-01
    Sean Strickling SCIENTOLOGY ACADEMY LEVEL IV Source 120 1998-12-01
    Sean Strickling GAME OF OT COURSE Freewinds 45 2002-03-01
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Anonymous Member

That link above is very interesting. ^^^ It says that the Sci attorney Mason tried to pull some shenanigans in 2009 while representing TOUCAN PARTNERS LLC. I'm only including a short portion of the article, but you can see the judge says Mason created his own case number and assigned the case to Appellate Division on his own, something only a judge can do. Unbelievable. I'm not sure how he's still in practice doing something like that.
    http://www.tampabay.com/news/localg...dmonished-for-trying-to-reassign-case/1060661

From the above article:
    "Mason filed an appeal in Circuit Court in July and an amended appeal in October arguing in part that just because neighbors object to the center is no reason for the commission to deny the rezoning and expansion.
    The so-called styling of the October document was the problem, according to Circuit Judge Victor J. Musleh.
    "Without leave of court and without a motion to transfer, (Mason) apparently just created (his) own case number and designation and assigned the case to the Appellate Division of the Circuit Court," Musleh wrote"
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. anon walker Moderator

This cannot be properly evaluated without providing a history and details of the Narconon program. Having a pretty extensive knowledge of Narconon and Scientology, I can say no, Hernando County did not discriminate against "recovering addicts," it rather protected them by justifiably discriminating against Narconon's dangerous quack therapy.

Thus, the move to stop any mention of Scientology or Narconon in court. Because the crap they pull is outrageous and, yes, inflammatory to any jury composed of people with a moral compass.

But that's like a serial killer who tries to suppress the details of his crimes for fear of inflaming the jury.
    That penguin don't fly. Nossir!
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. anonymous612 Member

So what do you thing as a protest sign? Something along the lines of...?

SUNCOAST REHAB. CENTER
    =
    NARCONON SPRING HILL
    =
    SCIENTOLOGY

Now, does anyone know when and where this court case is?

And can anyone offer a damn tl;dr or something here, because I have no idea what the fuck you people are talking about.
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Anonymous Member

^ You are the legal eagle here 612 should take you just a couple keystrokes.
  17. anonymous612 Member

I have multiple Anon events on my plate atm. I have shit to do.

Also, I have to knit a goddamn footlong candycane.

EDIT: And for the record, I already found the case number: 09002611CAXXHX, in Circuit Court. I just can't find any usable info. Like DATES. Or ADDRESSES.
  18. Anonymous Member

It appears from the OP it's in federal court now. My understanding is federal court uses something called the PACER system for pleadings and docket, and all documents require a fee.
  19. anonymous612 Member

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Xenu Is Lord Member

Holly FUCK!
  21. anonymous612 Member

US District Court, Middle District of Florida:
    Tampa Division
    Sam M. Gibbons U.S. Courthouse
    801 North Florida Avenue
    Tampa, Florida 33602
    813-301-5400

Okay. Now I have something to work with.
    • Winner Winner x 3
  22. Anonymous Member

Crafting poon nao.

Well done.

US Magistrate Judge
    801 Florida 685
    Tampa, FL 33602
    (813) 301-5774
  23. BigBeard Member

Interesting, their 2010 Form 990 http://207.153.189.83/EINS/263151983/263151983_2010_07ce6347.PDF shows the business name as "Narconon Spring Hill", with an address of 1230 S. Myrtle Ave, Ste 404, Clearwater FL 33756.

Some strange numbers in that 990 too:

"Other expenses:

Telephone
    Total $10,097
    Program Svc's $9,087
    Mngt & Gen $505
    Fund Raising $505"

How on earth do you generate a $9k telephone bill delivering rehab services?

Also $5,010 for limo service, $10,048 for lab fees (When did any NN do regular checks that required lab work?), and $7,071 for suppliements and vitamins (Way less money than on telephone calls!).

And the Big Bucks go to: Referral Fees - $82,176

What's really strange is the 990 doesn't indicate any relationship with NN Int, but the ERI listing above shows it as part of the NN Int Group Exemption Number 2595.

But when I check the IRS Select Check page EIN 263151983 comes back as "Not Found", and under "Legitimacy Information" for EIN 263151983 at http://www.guidestar.org/organizations/26-3151983/narconon-international.aspx GuideStar shows:

So there's some weird stuff happening here. Almost like that Michigan narCONon that's registered as "Not for Profit" at the state level, but does not have "Exempt" status with the Feds. Although at some point it looks like this place did under the NN Int Group Exemption Letter. Wonder what happened with that?

But at any rate, these folks trying to get the court to block any mention of narCONon related to their case sounds like a skunk trying to convince people it doesn't stink.

BigBeard
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Quentinanon Member

JOHNSON, POPE, BOKOR, RUPPEL & BURNS, LLP, Clearwater's premier cult law firm.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Anonymous Member

Echoing what a previous anon wrote, the fact that this rehab is Scientology's Narconon is highly relevant. Why? Because Scientology's Narconon is medically dangerous and has been banned in a number of places because of that. It is not recognized as a valid treatment for recovering addicts by any medical organization.

The deaths are relevant because all of Scientology's Narconon facilities utilize the exact same Hubbard methodologies, namely denying patients their prescription drugs, psychological abuse when they don't comply with Scientology's rules, forced testimonials, and a slough of other bizarre practices.
    • Like Like x 1
  26. Quentinanon Member

"Other expenses:

Telephone
    Total $10,097
    Program Svc's $9,087
    Mngt & Gen $505
    Fund Raising $505"

Management and General are exactly the same as Fund Raising? $505
    $10,097 for telephone?
    I wonder if the corporation pays for the cell phones of all employees and they include internet access in the calculation.
    I suppose a forensic accountant would find an audit of the (cooked) books very interesting.
    • Like Like x 3
  27. anonymous612 Member

I find it interesting they want to distance themselves from Narconon while they're listed in court documents AS NARCONON.

The District Court dox don't say Suncoast rehabwhatever the fuck. They say NARCONON SPRING HILL.

See?
    http://www.plainsite.org/flashlight/case.html?id=1542393

Narconon Spring Hill, Inc., Plaintiff
    Carole Joy Barice
    McGee & Mason, PA
    Phone: +1 352 796 0795
    Fax: +1 352 796 0235
    E-Mail: carolebarice@mcgeemasonlaw.com

Joseph M. Mason, Jr.
    McGee & Mason, PA
    E-Mail: joemason@mcgeemasonlaw.com

Ethan Jerome Loeb
    Bricklemyer, Smolker & Bolves, PA
    Phone: +1 813 223 3888
    E-Mail: ethanl@bsbfirm.com

David Smolker
    Fax: +1 813 228 6422
    E-Mail: davids@bsbfirm.com

Toucan Partners, LLC, Plaintiff
    Joseph M. Mason, Jr.
    McGee & Mason, PA
    E-Mail: joemason@mcgeemasonlaw.com

Ethan Jerome Loeb
    E-Mail: ethanl@bsbfirm.com

David Smolker
    Fax: +1 813 228 6422
    E-Mail: davids@bsbfirm.com

Carole Joy Barice
    McGee & Mason, PA
    Fax: +1 352 796 0235
    E-Mail: carolebarice@mcgeemasonlaw.com

v.

Hernando County, Florida, Defendant
    Douglas T. Noah
    Dean, Ringers, Morgan & Lawton, PA
    Fax: +1 407 648 0233
    E-Mail: DNoah@DRML-law.com
    • Winner Winner x 4
  28. BigBeard Member

I would love to see a team of forensic accountants going over the REAL books of the Cof$, narCONon, ABLE, and all the other front groups!

BigBeard
    • Agree Agree x 5
  29. anonymous612 Member

30. Quentinanon Member

You mean they have more than one set?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  31. anonymous612 Member

Interesting:
    "Whittemore presided over the criminal trial of Gerald and Betty Payne, the founders of Greater Ministries International Church. Over $450 million was bilked from church followers in the Paynes' fraudulent investment scheme, which was billed as one of the largest Ponzi schemes in U.S. history. Whittemore sentenced Gerald to 27 years for conduct he called "absolutely despicable." Betty was sentenced to over 12 years, which was increased from what Whittemore initially considered after she repeated a claim they were the innocent victims of government persecution and their religious freedoms were being violated. "It's one thing to have blind faith," Whittemore told her. "It's quite another to cast yourself as a martyr for no apparent good. I just deliberated a matter that you could serve 33 months less. What you've just done is throw that right back in my face."

Also there's this case where a dude tried to sue the president because his social security check was late. This is why you NEVER EVER EVER represent yourself in court, people. Because if you do, you're a moron.

http://ia600705.us.archive.org/33/items/gov.uscourts.flmd.260453/gov.uscourts.flmd.260453.5.0.pdf
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  32. BigBeard Member

I always figured there were at least three sets of books:

A set they show the members, public, IRS, and local government accountants. A set for upper management. And DM's Bulgravian account book.

BigBeard
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  33. anonymous612 Member

Four, then. Members and the IRS would be separate books. The IRS doesn't do Scientologymath.
  34. wolfbane Member

WINRAR! Thx BB!
  35. Anonymous Member

A little birdie sent me this.

Z0pa5.jpg

Oh look, a THIRD name they go by.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  36. Anonymous Member

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  37. Anonymous Member

My bad. Four.

1230 S. Myrtle Avenue - Narconon Spring Hill, Inc.
    1230 S Myrtle Ave, Ste 404 - Addiction Help Services, LLC
    1230 S. Myrtle Avenue - Toucan Partners, LLC
    1230 S. Myrtle Avenue - Feshbach Investments L.L.C.
    • Like Like x 3
  38. Anonymous Member

Secondary sources for the funny name game would be highly welcome. As soon as someone independent picks this up, I would be very happy if someone could leave a headsup here.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  39. vaLLarrr Member

Feshbach indeed.

What is notable is the eloquent way in which legal eagles state clearly that the mere mention of scientology will poison a fair trial.

The cult is so widely despised it has to be censored.

This in itself is victory and vindication.

Society loves Anonymous more than the cult.

That must surely be a wake up call to those determined to believe in LRH "tech".
    • Like Like x 3
  40. grebe Member

1. Toucan Partners bought the property in 2008.

2. In 2009, the Hernando County Commission turned down the company's proposal to expand from 21 to 54 beds on the 3-acre site. Commissioners cited incompatibility with the adjacent residential neighborhood among their reasons.

So Toucan is arguing that the rationale the Hernando Co Commission used in its denial of the expansion is discriminatory against Suncoast Rehab's clients, who have special rights due to disability.

It is possible that Toucan is correct. It may be that "incompatibility with adjacent residential neighborhood" is not good enough where services for disabled people are concerned.

Analogy: Let's say you want to make a building ADA compliant. But the big ass ramp you want to install is ugly and the neighbors complain. So the planning board says the renovations are "incompatible with adjacent residential neighborhood." That is probably not the best reason, because wheelchair access trumps aesthetics in our world today.

Toucan may have a point when they say that scary info about Narconon is not relevant because the Hernando Co Commission did not use that info in its decision to block the expansion.*

But maybe the County can minimize the damages that are being claimed by saying, had the neighbors not raised objections, the commission would have looked into other concerns being raised about the quality of care at Narconon programs. As it was, there was no need to investigate further. But had they investigated further, they would no doubt have learned about the controversy surrounding Narconon in Quebec, and the doctor who was sanctioned for prescribing a treatment with "no basis in science."

*Just an assumption on my part. I hope that the Commission actually did say something about the treatment methods being "controversial" or "unorthodox." Any mention of concerns about the quality of care, or the validity of the program, in the 2009 denial, would seem to open the door to all the scary Narconon stuff we'd like to see mentioned. But, not being medical people, the Commission probably didn't go there.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1