Customize

CofS Exit Survey is now Live!

Discussion in 'Projects' started by AnonLover, Dec 2, 2009.

1. AnonLover Member

2. AnonLover Member

Re: CofS Exit Survey is now Live!

everything i do is tl;dr - get over it or grow an attention span thats bigger than a flea bite
  3. Anonymous Member

I did the survey and had little to say. I was in Scientology for less than a year and was kicked out for various reasons (ie being open minded and convincing people that there are two sides to every story). I was never even allowed to continue my course that I had started. The funny thing is that at the time, I was not a member of Anonymous or against the church at all. I was a threat simply for being someone who likes to think for myself and encourages others to do the same.
  4. AnonLover Member

did they refund your moolah for that course?
  5. AnonLover Member

fwiw - based on esmb feedback early on, it seems we didnt include enough "case" related options... several respectable posters commented the options were too generic & didnt include something that fit situations where they felt their case was getting screwed up or being handled wrong.
  6. Re: CofS Exit Survey is now Live!

This seems pretty well done, indeed it's less biased that your standard surveys out there...

My only trouble with this is that it could easily be ruined by OSAbots, trolls over zealous exes.

I guess this is the case for all surveys, that it can be manipulated with, but there is a lot of motive to manipluate this one, and no way to check if the answers are legit.
  7. AnonLover Member

Thks GD - we realized ^^That going, thus I'm archiving historical reporting so that if it gets messed with we got before & after stats and can have a few laughs at how much time they waste.

February monthly batch of reporting is underway, new dox trickling up here as i put it all together

AnonLover's CofS Survey Folder | Scribd

and status update bump coming later tonight once that latest stats gets archived to [WIKI]CofS Exit Survey[/WIKI] wiki page & micro blog
  8. AnonLover Member

we nao haz the latest monthly update!

As of Feb 06, 2010 with 208 respondents when data pulled, current headcount is up to 211 (sees also wiki showcase)

food4thought snapshot (see image album link for moar):
    SurveySnap14.png

and the usual shoutout to the exes amongst our ranks...
    [SIZE="4"]
    HALP: NEEDS MOAR POLL TAKERS
    [/SIZE]

plus mucho thanks to all who participated.
  9. AnonLover Member

bamp for significant monthly update - The latest round of monthly survey results is now available for your viewing pleasure:

As of April 3, 2010 with 250 respondents
    (see also wiki showcase for a comprehensive project index)

Since we finally hit the first milestone of 250 submissions, I wanted to commemorate with a set of snazzy summary charts like Thetanic had done for us early on. But I'm afraid mine aren't quite as sexy but hey i tried :) Here's my first two, possibly a few more to be added to the image album later tonight...

SummaryChart1.jpg

SummaryChart2.jpg

Thanks again to all who took the time to submit their answers

and those exes who haven't lended the value of your own personal experiences - please stop by the following link and give it whirl:
    [SIZE="4"]Particpate in the CofS Exit Survey[/SIZE]

(Note for IE7 users: there's an oddity on the first page that the survey pirate service provider hasnt fix'd yet. So if you think you hit blank page when you follow the link above, scroll right -> there's a spacing fart in the way on the initial page only.)
  10. Anonymous Member

nice
  11. The Wrong Guy Member

I just did mine, and everything was straightforward. The only limitation I noticed was that in the responses offered to the "why did you leave?" question, where it would have been nice to be able to select the answer, "I didn't believe the claims they were making".
  12. AnonLover Member

Thks Wrong Guy & dam - thats a really good answer /facepalm (why we didnt we think of that!!)

dually noted for v2
  13. Anonymous Member

Having done studies like this before(not scientology related, I thought the written or typed answers or comments were interesting. This survey could use some qualitative questions like how satisfied were you with your studies, job, position. How much information was controlled and how it was controlled in your work and study environment within the church would be interesting and relevant. A high amount of Information and paranoia control is a characteristic of cults and totalitarian organizations.
    How many hours of TV or Cable did you watch in one week.
    Were you restricted by the Church from visiting web sites on the internet.
    If yes to above question, can you name the web sites? Comment Box:
  14. AnonLover Member

^^more good suggestions also dually noted for v2. Fwiw, when we compiled the current set of questions, we wanted to keep max number of questions limited to 20 due to scilons being surveyed ad naseum while in + we had concern for getting exes to sit thru it if too long.

so the qualitative stuff in member experience vein got cut for the sake of brevity, with the tentative plan that after this v1 survey runs for approx a year or so (launched in Dec 09), we'd draw a second set of 20 questions for v2 that focused on qualitative experience type stuff rather than quantitative investment type stuff in this one.

Two more summary charts from this month's reporting...

SummaryChart3.jpg

SummaryChart4.jpg
  15. AnonLover Member

and lastly, a couple of pie chart summary comparisons of the latest survey results:

SummaryChart5.jpg

SummaryChart6.jpg

Thanks again to all those exes who took the time to submit their responses. As well as <3<3<3 going out to the evar awesome AnonyNews Team who featured it in the later half of one of their segments back in February! /bow
  16. Re: CofS Exit Survey is now Live!

Great job, AnonLover. I'm a numbers geek so I love your work here.

One suggestion.....maybe tie in the amount spent per level, avg spent per ex, etc. I'd love to see what these numbers equate to in dollars spent.
  17. Anonymous Member

Just took the total number of responses to the survey and fitted a combined exponential and linear function to the values. Interestingly, after the initial exponential phase, there is a linear background increase of 0.74 responses per day.

From my experience with similar processes, I conclude there is a constant loss of CoS members in the same order of magnitude. In principle the underlying process should not be linear so it's difficult to tell if we are already in a saturation phase or the big increase is still to come. Data suggest the latter with an expected value for next month more like 280-300 rather than around 260.
  18. AnonLover Member

Thks for feedback - hear ya on this valid point too. We had a question very similar to this thought in the early questionaire draft during the brainstorming phase.

But since all the data collected is fully released to public domain, this is one of the questions that got cut just to double ensure that no extensive due diligence by the cult could be done to reverse out identifying factors that could lead to potential participants being identified. However, i will flag this for possible inclusion in v2 survey in the future where we dont have such a heavy focus on progress up da bridge history.
  19. The Wrong Guy Member

The response I suggested could read, "I reached a point where I could no longer believe what Scientologists were telling me."
  20. AnonLover Member

whoa - that sounds interesting but your number crunching expertise is waaaaaay over my head. can you maybe make a chart or graph of those findings to share on this thread so we can see it visually?

Also, all the fanfare spread around for *finally* reaching the 250 respondents milestone has brought on a small spike in submissions this weekend. Current total is nao up to 259! Keep 'em coming exes!

More survey promotional stuff nao posted on the micro blog to halp spread things a lil further into the blogosphere sector: Scientology Exit Survey News Wire: AnonyNews Report on CofS Exit Survey
  21. PodPeople Member

tks for all the hard work. Really would like to see: age when left and time period when in, when exit. $ figures might be tuff to make sense of due to do-overs, but also time period.

Looking at these charts, still baffles me how anyone could stay in for so many years. And all those retreads were done at everyone's own expense and 10 to 15x higher! lol
  22. Random guy Member

What I think he is saying is that the initial wave of answers from X-members already out is over. What we see now is a steady increase of about three responses per for days. This is likely to represent members recently blowing and finding their way to the survey, rather than people already out when the survey started.

Naturally, it does not mean that 3 people blows every 4 days. A number of those blowing will never find the survey or answer it if they found it. What it indicates is that the cult looses members at a relatively even rate.

Considering that it probably takes a while from a person blows to he feels like going on the internet, look up anti-cult sites and come across the survey and answer it, we are likely seeing the effect of what happened several months ago.
  23. Anonymous Member

IIRC, 2 thirds of people who do 'join' leave and stop going on course within 3 years. Three is like a magic number for them I don't know why o.o This new statistic you find here sound like they are leaving a higher rate than what we previously knew of. Far fewer are afraid of blowing and speaking about their experiences now than just a year ago.
  24. Random guy Member

I suppose this accounts for the large groups that has the Purification rundown as highest completed level?
  25. AnonLover Member

or maybe the purif is an easier sale than the higher priced entry level stuff?
  26. Schwabe Member

Maybe like this?
    exitsurveyresponsesfit.jpg
  27. Random guy Member

Need a few more data-points to that line before any trend is statistically significant.
  28. AnonLover Member

The latest round of monthly survey results is now available for your viewing pleasure:

As of May 8, 2010 with 267 respondents
    (see also wiki page showcase for a comprehensive project index)

Last month I started spinning additional summary charts that show a higher level of comparison of the results across related questions. These newer charts got alot of interest so this month i doctored up a few oversights i had missed the first time around, setup macros to automate them, added 2 new ones and dumped the whole set of summary chart into their own report on the [COLOR="Red"]NEW[/COLOR] link above (also rolled into the download bundle with the individual graphics available in the image album listed above).

the collection of summary charts look like this for lazy faggots that dont want peruse the links...

SummaryChart1.jpg

SummaryChart2.jpg

SummaryChart3.jpg

SummaryChart4.jpg

SummaryChart5.jpg

SummaryChart6.jpg

SummaryChart7.jpg

SummaryChart8.jpg

the last two charts above the new stuff for this month's batch of reports.
  29. AIN Member

1. Anyone else getting an IO error when trying to view the results on scribd?
    2. The charts are a bit confusing, if we are gonna use them for the public, we have to simplfy it to 2 varibles, like the last 2 are good but can be toned down to length of stay in COS in releation to type of counseling
  30. AnonLover Member

scribd is working fine for me, try the download bundle to avoid browser oddity or surf the image album link for alternative output.

the survey data is alot more complex than people expect, so the summary charts above already is paring down the crosstab comparison between two different multichoice questions as much i can figure out how to do.
  31. AIN Member

1. Fair enough
    2. I gathered that the data would be complex but still, two varible charts make reading easier.
  32. JohnnyRUClear Member

I'd like to see this one updated, preferably more than once.

inb4DIYyoulazyass
  33. CarterUSP Member

As far as I know the Purif is always step 1 on the bridge - I think it's the only route on. Without the Purif, the new meat can just do basic courses, basic dianetics auditing, STCC and maybe 'Key to life' (which is many times more expensive than purif and not bridge)
  34. thetanic Member

The Purif is nearly always the first major service.
  35. AnonLover Member

have you looked at the individual charts for each question in the image album, there's 20 of 'em that typically look like the example below that only chart a single question and its flat non-comprehensive data like your looking for.

where as the flashy summary charts i posted earlier ITT are crosstabulation of 2 questions and is specifically meant to be a higher level summary of multiple variables.

SurveySnap14.png

^^These single question charts are also available in the Scientology Exit Survey Results Basic Reports document.
  36. AIN Member

thank you, didn't see them before due to browser acting up.
    My point was only, if these were going to be used for external use, the public likes simple graphs.
  37. AnonLover Member

understood. and thats why i'm publishing multiple forms of charts/graphs - academic types seem to like the more comprehensive ones that are better for revealing trends and patterns. where as the single question charts are better for underscoring a single discussion point.

idea being if anybody wants to reuse any of the survey reporting info (all of which is freely distributed under a creative commons license) they can use whichever parts or pieces they like best, and have a smorgasboard of stuff to choose from.
  38. AIN Member

1. Some of the scans and the like are hard to read in the album.
    2. Query 14, 15,20 are great to be handed out to the general public, 14 and 15 to the scilons possibly.
    3. Anyone thought of using this data for a research grant? This reminds me ever so much of a research study, why not get official backing? I am sure there is a couple namefagged researchers and Academia minded folks amongst us.
  39. Schwabe Member

Anon delivers. No upward trend, though.
    exitsurveyresponsesfitm.jpg
  40. AnonLover Member

those are how they generated natively by the surveypirate.com service... they have a report option that generates a pdf thats even worse (the charts are only 1/3 of page) thus i republish the output as individual screensnaps & make my own pdf in order to get in the best possible format i can. but yeah - there's still limitations in what is readily available from the freebie service i'm using.