Customize

Come do your OTs in Canada!

Discussion in 'Media' started by peterstorm, Aug 3, 2009.

1. RHill Member

2. Anonymous Member

Re: Come do your OTs in Canada!

The Orangeville Banner and the Orangeville Citizen have been informed. Also, every member of the Mono Town Council, Dufferin County Council, and many prominent members of the community have received emails to inform them about their new neighbours.

We're working on some snail mail letters too, for those we can't contact by email.
  3. HellRazor Member

/r/ copy of email. Post on WWP or PM me (here or at Chanology Toronto 2.0 - Protest Forum - The Game) please.
  4. Anonymous Member

Press release sent to Banner & Citizen

83633546.gif
  5. DeathHamster Member

Well jeepers! You'd think that they didn't want anyone to come 'round and wish them a happy new AO...

(Photobucket has reduced the rez quite a bit. If anyone wants any details.)

Since someone parked the Fail Bus on the Forks of the Credit (Fast and the Furious: Tour Bus Drift!),
    [IMG]

I thought I'd head up north and see how the advanced org was doing. It still has the signs for the Hockley Highlands Inn (a bit overgrown),
    IMG_0091.jpg

but the main enterance has a poll across the road, chains across the shoulders to the trees, and posted warnings that they have a dog on duty, not on a leash
    IMG_0092.jpg

CopyofIMG_0100.jpg

So watch out for dog poop! (The signs might have been there since the Inn folded two years ago. If so, I hope someone remembered to feed the dog!)

The Bruce Trail entrance is clearly posted as private property, hiking access only.
    IMG_0104.jpg

(There no "right to roam" in Ontario per se. Hiking associations either slowly buy up bits of land when available, or make arrangements with the property owners. A raid via that route would be a foot-bullet. Leave CoS alone to get nervous about all those people walking through, and do their own foot-bullet-blitz when they block them.)

CSHO pictures by MockerRule - Photobucket

I'm waiting on the pics from a Black Helicopter flyover night mission. I'll post them once they're cleared for release.
  6. Avery1 Member

LoL DeathHamster - nice work. Thanks for the recon.
  7. Erra Member

OH FUCK THEY HAVE A DOG

HOPE TO GOD THERE'S NO CURTAINS
  8. DeathHamster Member

Mind you, there's no visible evidence yet that CoS has actually moved in in any meaningful way. (Or dox that they've actually acquired the property at all, other than CoS's claims.) The no trespassing and Dog on Duty signs could date back two years when the inn closed and shafted people with paid weddings as well as staff.

One thing that I should have checked is how those bars were secured. There doesn't seem to be any kind of motor drive on them, so I presume that there's a lock. Someone wanting in would either have to bring a key with them or buzz for someone to come open it. (There was an intercom box on a pole which didn't look new, or in good shape, or on the proper side of the entrance.) Either way, it doesn't look like there's much traffic.
  9. Anonymous Member

Well done Hamster. This is helpful.
  10. Sponge Member

NOW Magazine // News // Newsfront

photo on above site.
  11. DeathHamster Member

Feh, it's just a copy of CoS's image, which may or may not be shooped to add the CoS details. (These are the same people who have been multi-shooping the same picture of the Toronto Org since 1982.)

Curses! Where are some Imperial probe droids when you need them!?
    [IMG]
  12. Sponge Member

Yes, the shooping is pretty obvious.

Why do they think that having this remote location is a good idea? It would make a good RPF ;)
  13. HellRazor Member

1. if you can't afford a car to get there, they don't want you in their club

2. nowhere for Sea Ogres/staff to run away to.

3. Canuck RPF

4. ???

5. profit
  14. Anonymous Member

Those interior shots are computer renderings, yes. And there isn't anything particularly deceptive about that as architecture plans are often illustrated that way. What would be deceptive, however, is if they said that it's how it looks now.
  15. pooks Member

Impact Magazine 121 pages 50 to 59 Aug 2009

3840052617_2d75310289_b.jpg

3840842056_347000682c_b.jpg

3840842516_44b90a6dbe_b.jpg

3840053003_1c8061d796_b.jpg

3840842844_d4e4a96035_b.jpg

3840053307_ff10bd640a_b.jpg

3840053307_ff10bd640a_b.jpg

3840843512_deac0c6cff_b.jpg

3840053989_7c87e99c75_b.jpg

3840843864_804f54907c_b.jpg
  16. DeathHamster Member

Fakery of some sort. What's holding that Canadian flag out so straight:
    3840053003_1c8061d796_b.jpg
    I'm sure that those rocks are there, but not so certain that the fountain was actually running, the flags were there or that the AOSH sign is there yet. The interiors are from a CAD program, rather than actual shots, as usual.

That place has been in mothballs for two years after closing, and there was no obvious work done at the entrance. Even if they have been working All Hands since June, they'd still have a long way to go.
    IMG_0091.jpg
  17. Anonymous Member

Obvious shoops are fucking obvious.
  18. Anonymous Member

Glad to see NOW magazine got my note.

(It's that easy folks.)
  19. DeathHamster Member

It turns out that the property is heavily zoned by the Niagara Escarpment Commission as Escarpment Protection Area. (srs bz!)

New GTA Advanced Org claimed - Chanology Toronto 2.0 - Protest Forum

The previous owner had tried a few times to get the property rezoned as Escarpment Recreation Area, so that they could make the needed changes to turn it into a proper four season resort that could make a profit or at least not lose money like a cut throat. When that was rejected in 2008 again, that seems to have been the final straw.

Jeez, under the restrictions of the NEC, I wonder if they can even build a guardhouse at the entrance? (At the least, they'll need a permit. And I think they can cancel that bulk order of razor wire.)
  20. pooks Member

Apologies in advance if this has already been posted but is there any actual evidence that Scn owes that property at the Hockley Highlands?

Per this post

Chanology Toronto 2.0 - Protest Forum - View Single Post - New GTA Advanced Org claimed

Timeline:

* Late 1990s - Property bought from Ontario Hydro by Goldman Hotels Inc.
    * April 2004 - Application to rezone land from Escarpment Protection Area to Escarpment Recreation Area.
    * May 2007 - Hockley Highlands Inn closed.
    * May 2008 - Application for rezoning reactivated. Presumed turned down. (No mention of it in Niagara Escarpment Commission minutes. Check moar!)
    * May 2009 - Property sold to CoS? (Maybe the "Hockley Highlands Quietude Club", ha!)

Property sold to the C of S? with a question mark? Do they own it or not?

I have a feeling this may be the wrong property. Years ago Scn promoted a massive Narconon program 30 miles outside of Toronto and it looked like the exact same property. So it would be something that Scn has owed for years not since May.

OK I'm going to wander off to the stacks of Magazines and see if I can find it.
  21. Anonymous Member

ARE YOU FAGGOTS READY FOR GOLD BASE NORTH?
  22. xenubarb Member

Yeah...are you?
  23. BlooAnon Member

Coming for a visit Barb?
  24. DeathHamster Member

Yes. I've always wanted to go down to Gold and check it out, and now they say that they're going to open one right on my turf to play with?

Cool!

We only have CoS's word that they actually own the property so far, and real-estate deals can be complicated (especially when CoS uses fronts), but their shooped pictures are definitely the Hockley Highlands Inn and Conference Centre.

The Narconon motels from a few years ago were elsewhere in Ontario.
    http://forums.whyweprotest.net/312-...ne-strikes-back-sp-times-50352/25/#post958277
  25. N. Ron Rubber Member

To answer this question, we need to check the local assessment roll. It's public, and it should be free.
  26. DeathHamster Member

It doesn't look like that's online, so that would probably require a RL trip to the Town of Mono during the working hours of the week. (Hmm, or would the provincial Municipal Property Assessment Corporation have it?)

Mono (Mow-no) is even further away than the org, "it will feel like it is a thousand miles away in untrammeled Ontario wilderness" (sez CoS). I can't stop there, it's polar bear country!
  27. pooks Member

I spent some time going through tons of mags but I couldn't find it.

In this aerial picture below I don't see any red/orange tiled roofs. Is it possible to get a closer aerial view so we can compare. As I recall, the roof is in fact a tiled red/orange, and not just shooped in.

I don't mean to be a pain in the ass, but I want to make sure it's the right property.

83633546.gif
  28. DeathHamster Member

That's not a aerial view, that's Google Maps, which can lag several years behind. Here's as close as it gets. Once you adjust for orientation and the terrain, it is possible to match up the various buildings in the pictures with the Google map. (It helps to switch to Terrain view in Google now and then because the Satellite view flattens everything.)

Possibilities:
    • Sometime in the last few years, the previous owner installed new shingles.
    • The deal was done closer to May 2008 (when the previous owner was still trying to get it rezoned), allowing WISE Avenue Road Roofing time to fix the roofs. However, I don't think they've ever delayed the announcement of buying new property before.
    • The CoS pictures still might be lying. Chroma changes to re-tint roofs barely qualifies as shooping, and CoS has access to top-of-the-line editing tools.
    I've discounted the possibility that the Google Maps images are off-colour due to processing or late spring snow because they match a fall image on an archived page of the Hockley Inn site, 2003. (Here, and click on Maps & Location. There's a scrolling aerial view from 3rd Line, to the "white" roof building The Pavillion, down to the The Valley (probably what they'll be calling The Maple Leaf) and then back out to 3rd Line.
    [IMG]
    (That's not drawn to scale.)
  29. Vir Member

Perhaps the photo was taken right after the place was built, and not shooped by Scientology but perhaps the photo faded or the shingles darkened since then? A Scientology photographer could even have photographed a photo hanging on the wall inside.

It is the same facility, as can be seen by the layout of the buildings - the only possibility would have been if it was built as an exact copy or built from standard drawings, which I find unlikely.
  30. pooks Member

Thanks,

Ok I can see this is the same layout with the pix provided, so that must be the place.

The glossy pix from the Impact Mag above, look like the standard Scn renderings of what it's gonna look like, not what it looks like now.

I would imagine that they are going to have to go through some zoning approvals for this place.

I found this:

Operation Clambake present: Alt.Religion.Scientology Week In Review

Narconon

The Intelligencer reported on December 3rd that a town council in Marmora,
    Canada has rejected a zoning application for Scientology's Narconon
    program.

"Before a town hall packed with close to 125 people, council here
    unanimously denied a rezoning application that would allow a former motel
    to house a drug treatment centre. The move followed a special rezoning
    hearing Monday night, called to allow those opposed and in favour of
    allowing Narconon to legally continue in the former Treelawny Hotel. The
    establishment of a Narconon facility in Marmora has caused huge rifts in
    segments of the community, 40 km northwest of Belleville.

"After almost two hours of public deputations regarding the application,
    council, in a recorded vote of 4-0 voted in favor of denying the
    application to rezone the site. On one side, proponents of the endeavor -
    six of whom were from the Toronto area - told of the benefits of the
    program and attempted to dispel rumours that Narconon would not only bring
    an influx of criminal activity to the area, but that the operation is an
    attempt by the Church of Scientology to infiltrate the region.

"In opposition, Marmora residents - who presented a petition with more
    than 350 names of locals opposed to the application - rallied against the
    establishment, saying the program would have a negative effect on the area
    by effectively labeling the region a 'drug treatment centre' for
    outsiders.

"'We will be taking this to the Ontario Municipal Board,' pledged Penny
    Luthra following the decision. During the meeting, her father Devinder - a
    devout Sikh - said he bought the property because he 'wanted to bring
    peace and harmony and revenue to this town.' 'I am not a Scientologist. I
    am not a part of Scientology,' the Toronto businessman added. 'I like the
    way they treat their patients. I want to do some good work for this
    society.' A number of Scientology and Narconon supporters insisted
    Narconon is an arm's length organization of Scientology. Reverend Al
    Buttnor of the Office of Public Affairs of the Church of Scientology rose
    to say what was before council 'was only a zoning issue,' and councillors
    were not called to make a judgment either on Narconon or Scientology.

"Local Ted Bonter said the establishment of Narconon 'contributes nothing
    to the betterment of this community,' and suggested Devinder reopen the
    facility as a motel. 'This thing has evolved from under the table - it was
    a smoke-screen from the beginning, and is tonight,' he said as the room
    filled with applause. Stuart Newton said the community 'does not want to
    be known as a drug treatment centre,' to outsiders."

/end quote

Granted it was for a Narconon, but it if the locals knew that they wanted to put the Canadian Scientology Mecca in their town, they might put a stop to it.
  31. Vir Member

Yes I didn't consider that more of it might be an architectural rendering, composited into a real photo. When they make 3D computer graphics renderings of the inside, they might have done it to the whole outside as well. I thought just the sign placed in front was computer graphics, but maybe more of it is.
  32. Anonymous Member

Hmm... Actually, I think it makes more sense to think they wish to open a Narconon center in Monon rather than yet another Advanced Org. It might be that somebody screwed up by publicizing this to outside world as yet another Mecca, but the real goal is to open a Narconon center (which frankly is more likely to bring fresh funds to the cult.) That would explain the pulled PR piece, because the real story to feed the wogs is to open a drug rehabilitation center, not a new Scientology mecca. If so, they already screw up somewhat in this case.
  33. DeathHamster Member

Zoning approvals, permits, variances... Lots and lots of paperwork!
    And here's the tl;dr of the previous owner's attempts to change the zoning. It failed.

Maybe they'll get caught dumping a pile of old shingles down a ravine or putting up a new RPF barracks building/parking lot. Oh to be there when they get their power bill for their heating after the winter!

I can't imagine that they could staff this place even to minimal levels with just Canadian Sea Org members (Advanced Orgs are Sea Org postings), so I wonder what kind of visas they'll use to bring people into Canada?
  34. OTBT Member

Canadian Religious Worker visas, perhaps?

Lowe and Company Immigration & Business Lawyers - Work Permits & Work Visas for Canada - Religious Workers

http://www.carters.ca/pub/seminar/chrchlaw/2006/jae1108.pdf

Hmmm, maybe that's why this new Sea Org base is opening up in Canada, in the middle of nowhere...
  35. DeathHamster Member

But who recognizes them as a religion, especially in Ontario? (On the other hand, no one wants to say "nope, this isn't a religion". Usually they pass the buck to Revenue Canada charity status.)
    Absolutely, but it's not really the middle of nowhere except to city people. Meanwhile, they can't put a fence around the property (zoning) or seal the perimeter (Bruce Trail), or keep an Eagle's Nest watch (that's forest, not desert scrub), the Hockley Valley Resort is just across the road, and busy Hwy 7 just a downhill stroll. Lack of papers, a place to go and the bars in their minds will be the largest barriers.

I doubt they'll have many defections in the middle of winter, mind you!

I wonder how many runaways (and the parties sent out to find them) it will take before the local community takes notice.
  36. Suzette Member

I think they colored the photos--we know they shooped in various flags and signs. I'm still trying to figure out what the rejected zoning change really meant--I gather they wanted to sell it for use as something other than a hotel, but the changes they were talking about (pool, nature trail) seemed very much in line with the existing use as a hotel and conference center.

Also worth noting:

This did not pass. Apparently the changes necessary to make this property suitable for a Scientology retreat would destroy its character as a nature conservation area. I'm not quite sure what all this means, except maybe having people actually living there year round would take some development which wasn't wanted.
  37. DeathHamster Member

http://www.carters.ca/pub/seminar/chrchlaw/2006/jae1108.pdf
    I don't see how the people they'll bring in from Kwanzastan for the scut work and RPF will be to "preach doctrine, perform functions related to congregational or group meetings, or provide spiritual counseling".
  38. HellRazor Member

I'm sure they'll skimp on heating like they skimp on toilet paper, salaries, etc.
  39. DeathHamster Member

I'm sure that'll seem like a good idea to the Sea Org in charge, who are used to Gold in California, Flag in Florida, and the Freewinds. "Oh it gets cold in the desert at night. We know cold."

And King Winter will defeat yet another invader...
  40. Anonymous Member

They can heat the place by burning their stock of outdated versions of LRH books.

Sneak across border. Fight bears. Row row, fight da powah.