Customize

Composing a letter to police

Discussion in 'Translation and Text Composition Projects' started by Consensus, May 11, 2008.

1. Consensus Member

Composing a letter to police

Miami is having trouble with their local police. I know this is stuff a dozen or so cities have already gone through and resolved, and I'm looking to help Miami do the same. We want to help them establish a liaison with the police, and to have it in writing what is and isn't allowed. We want to reassure the cops that they have no reason to be anxious about us, we want to explain why we do what we do, and we want to keep it brief enough that the cop won't go 'tl;dr'.

http://forums.whyweprotest.net/7-general-discussion/miami-anons-help-needed-police-13348/2/
    ^this thread explains why I'm working on this. I've not yet found a miami anon to be the liaison (there may already be a liaison, I've not yet made contact with them). When I do, I'll get more details here. I'm also hoping we can get some lawfags to research the relevant laws for the city of Miami (masks, protest permits, etc). I'll pen a draft shortly. I appreciate any help honing it; and if you've written a similar letter to your local police, please post it here for reference.
  2. Consensus Member

Re: Composing a letter to police

Ideally this would be sent by the person volunteering to be the liaison. Again, I don't know all the details of the current situation, and depending on whether first contact has been made or not it may change the style or tone of the letter.
  3. highoverlord Member

thanks man
  4. infinitysnake Member

I'm a professional writer with media and law enforcement contacts- would you mind terribly if I post a revised version?

I am also somewhat concerned about wording ha makes the sender out to be a 'representative' of anonymous, which appears to me to present possible legal risks for anyone ho signs their name to it. One who does send such a documet should not claim actual membership.
  5. highoverlord Member

the touble is who the hell will send it.....
  6. subgenius Member

FWIW here's what I had to send after 5/10:
    "May 12, 2008
    City Manager Farmington Hills, City Council Farmington Hills, Chief of police Farmington Hills
    I wish to draw your attention to a serious problem but I encountered while exercising my constitutional right to freedom of speech and peaceful assembly at the demonstration against the so-called “Church” of Scientology on May 10, 2008.
    As background, you should know that this demonstration was the fourth such demonstration and part of the global movement to expose the abuses and criminal activities of the so-called “Church” of Scientology. These demonstrations have and will be occurring on a monthly basis in every country on earth where the cult operates. Each of the monthly demonstrations has focused on a different abuse of the cult, such as its fraudulently obtained tax exemption, its policy of forcing its members to disconnect from their friends and family, and other abuses. The issue to be highlighted on this past May 10 was its policy of attacking, harassing and destroying anyone who dares to criticize it. This policy is known as “Fair Game”.
    The demonstrations in Farmington Hills have, as the hundreds of demonstrations around the world, been orderly, peaceful, and lawful. We have taken the position that we will cooperate with the police and comply with their suggestions and directions, even when, as happened here in February we were told by the Farmington Hills police to remove our masks at the request of the so-called “Church” of Scientology, even though the wearing of masks is legal under the circumstances.
    Ironically enough, the wearing of masks is in part due to the so-called “Church” of Scientology’s policy of “fair game”.
    On May 10, 2008 a Farmington Hills police vehicle was once again parked in the parking lot of the so-called “Church” of Scientology. At the very least this gives the impression that the department has taken sides on the issue, and at worst, makes it appear as if the department is acting as an agent for the so-called “Church” of Scientology. If this is the result of claims by the so-called “Church” of Scientology that they are threatened, then the department should do its own investigation into whether these claims have any validity. Their national spokesman appeared on CNN on May 8, 2008 and claimed that the demonstrators have made threats, but it was pointed out that the FBI has found no basis for this allegation.
    Research and investigation will easily show that the threat is from the so-called “Church” of Scientology. One needs only to “Google” the terms “operation snow white”, “Paulette Cooper”, and “scientology fair game policy” to verify the systematic attacks on any one who exercises their first amendment rights to criticize it. Indeed, Time magazine in 1991 published a cover story entitled “Scientology: Cult of Greed and Power”, and spent the next 10 years and millions of dollars to ultimately vindicate itself by proving that the story is true. You will find that the so-called “Church” of Scientology’s “operation snow white” involved breaking into 136 government agencies and resulted in the criminal convictions of 11 top scientologists, including the wife of its founder L. Ron Hubbard. See also an ABC news report verifying the ”fair game” policy and its secret police squad(OSA): http://www(dot)youtube(dot)com/watch?v=AdUzINnm0qA
    My particular concern on May 10, 2008 was that on two occasions I attempted to summon the police officers so that I could discuss certain concerns, and otherwise engage in a dialog and solicit any suggestions that they may have. On both occasions the officers refused to merely drive the vehicle less than 100 feet to determine why I was summoning them. On one of the occasions, since they had refused to drive across Middle Belt, I walked across the street and as close as I could to where they were parked without stepping on the so-called “Church” of Scientology’s property. Again the officers refused to drive their vehicle approximately 50 feet to determine why I was summoning them. They would not have even needed to leave their vehicle to find out. For gosh sakes I could’ve been having a heart attack or other medical problem.
    During this time the police officers were readily accessible to people affiliated with the so-called “Church” of Scientology, and talked to them on a number of occasions. Thus I was treated differently for exercising my first amendment rights.
    The individuals who have been demonstrating since the bitter cold days of February, have gone out of their way to keep the department informed of their activities, cooperated with them, and have in fact, invited the department to operate in close proximity to them for their own protection, and that of the officers of the department. Indeed if the police officers location was based on actual threat it would make sense to be close to the demonstrators.
    Although many wear of masks for their own protection (I was not wearing a mask on May 10, 2008), the actions and plans of this movement against the so-called “Church” of Scientology are no secret and can be viewed by any one at Enturbulation.org. The United States Supreme Court has indicated that United States citizens have the right to express themselves anonymously. The actions of the Farmington Hills police department on May 10, 2008 do not reflect well on its impartiality, professionalism, or its commitment to the constitution and the protection of the constitutionally protected right to freedom of speech.
    As a courtesy I’m advising you of the circumstances in hopes that these problems can be corrected internally rather than by higher authorities.
    Because of my reasonable concerns of retaliation by the so-called “Church” of Scientology, and in light of my constitutional right to do so, I wish at this time not to disclose my identity. Indeed, a citizen’s treatment by government should not depend on who they are.
    You may however contact me by way of e-mail at: .
    I also urge all of you to do simple research into the so-called “Church” of Scientology. I believe that you will find that not only were the actions of the department unprofessional, but will ultimately prove to be a major embarrassment for appearing to be the agents of a corrupt organization."
  7. highoverlord Member

i like that letter..... should i edit it for our uses?
  8. Consensus Member

Please do!

And the other letter is fantastic too. I was just trying to get the ball rolling.

You're right, it is a challenge to write 'for' anonymous while claiming not to *speak* for anonymous. That's largely why this subforum exists - so ideas can be expressed, voted up or down, edited, and so on. It has to be a group project to have any validity.
  9. subgenius Member

10. highoverlord Member

thanks so much guys
  11. Scythe Member

There is a typo in the first line

I wish to draw your attention to a serious problem but I encountered while exercising my constitutional

I think next time we should wait for the positive consensus of everyone before sending a letter...We had someone here who is used to send letters to law enforcement and the media who wanted to help.
  12. gethsemane Member

Just some thoughts:

1. Always ask someone else to proofread what you've written. What makes immediate and obvious sense to you does not always do so to someone else. Be very careful of assuming your intent is clear -- to someone unfamiliar or not neck-deep in what you're writing about, it more than likely is not. Fresh eyes will also pick up on duplicated words, typos, and the like.

2. Eloquence does not always equal verbosity, nor does simple equate to stupidity. Clear, to-the-point statements will serve your message far better than giving your reader an "Inside the Actor's Studio" backstage look at every single sentence. Think of what you mean to say, and SAY it.

3. Somewhat related to the first point, is to always keep in mind your audience. If this is to the police, be succinct, factual, and respectful. The recipient does not necessarily agree with your position. Nor does he have to. This is not the place to argue the crimes of the CoS, but to address the particular instance or concern at hand with regards to Anonymous and the police.

"I write on behalf of demonstrators who protest the organization of Scientology. These protests have been organized as a long-term campaign, and in light of this, I wish to facilitate communication between the [Police of City] and those participating in the demonstrations, known collectively as 'Anonymous'.

These protests are arranged with the intent to inform; those participating have no wish engage in any unlawful acts, and as such greatly appreciate [Precinct]'s help in ensuring no one is actively intimidated, bullied, or otherwise harassed.

One of the hallmarks of these protests is the usage of masks and other methods to disguise participants' identity. This is in no way an attempt at intimidation, but a means of protecting the participants from an organization that is well-documented in its history of harassing critics. Please be assured that identification will be provided privately at any officer's request.

In light of open communication, I would greatly appreciate an understanding of what [your precinct] requires to ensure this demonstration is lawful and safe for all. Some issues: it would be useful for us to have it in writing whether or not we need protest permits, whether or not we are permitted to wear masks (and what ordinance prohibits it, if not), whether or not we are permitted to carry signs, to stand in place, how far we must keep from the Scientology Org entrance, and so on. Any direction supplied by you will be followed without exception.

I would like to conduct a personal interview at your convenience, and will be contacting your office by phone to arrange one."
  13. subgenius Member

This was an issue that was personal to me, and done before I even saw this thread.
    In prior dealings with the authorities I have made clear that I am speaking only on my own behalf and do not speak for anyone else. This I will continue to do. I have consulted with the others here locally and have thoughtfully considered their ideas.
  14. Consensus Member

15. highoverlord Member

Well what letter should i use?
  16. subgenius Member

My letter was particular to the circumstances, and personal to me. I did not intend it to be a template, or even a suggestion (although anyone is free to use it in any way).
  17. infinitysnake Member

Great...I'll post a draft soon. :)
  18. subgenius Member

There's a balance and paradox between group and individual. Not everything I do am I going to put up for a vote. We each have to make our own decisions. My letter mostly focused on what happened to me personally, and in all my dealings with the police chief I have made clear that I speak only for myself. This forum is not just for Anonymous, and I am not Anonymous.
    Having said that I have run my ideas past my locals, and taken their good advice, especially when any consequences can affect others. My letter also addressed a particular problem perhaps unique to my location and may not have any relevance to others. Its good to have a form letter, but there may be certain specific issues that need to be addressed in each locale.
    Many have expressed the view, which I agree with, to not ask "Why doesn't someone....", but just to do it. Of course that has risks, but that's another great thing about this movement: its not authoritarian.
    Remember: you are unique. Just like everyone else.
  19. Re: Composing a letter to police

Looks good for you guys in the States, but callout for London anons

don't do anything similar - the police are cool with us, the cult thing is not, say again not their decision. Its being dealt with though
  20. infinitysnake Member

Okay, first attempt- avoided all referenced to "we" or "us" for liability reasons. I've also refrained as much as possible from using the word "Church" is relation to the COS, and opted for "Organization," which more clearly (IMO) describes the true nature of the 'business.'

Items in brackets are optional for the brave of heart.

Name
    office
    address

date

Dear sir (madam),

this letter goes out to local police and ?? today on behalf of area residents who protest Scientology under the umbrella of "Anonymous." Our wish is to provide you with information about Anonymous protests and to raise awareness of Anonymous' commitment to protest legally, safely, and peaceably. The intent of this letter is to introduce Anonymous and its goals, and to establish a dialog with local authorities.

[As an individual, I cannot speak for all of Anonymous but Anonymous has a clear consensus on a number of issues. I will briefly present these issues in Q&A format:]

Why Anonymous Opposes Scientology:

While Anonymous wishes no ill toward individual Scientologists, we oppose the organization that calls itself the Church of Scientology. Scientology defrauds both its members and the public at large, misleads its membership, and engages in campaigns of misinformation harassment, and libel against its former members and critics. In addition, the organization has a lengthy history of criminal activity, with convictions and civil judgments for crimes and fraudulent activities stemming largely from their obsession with critics and perceived enemies. The COS also engages in serious human rights abuses, including keeping members confined against their will, causing members to work without adequate compensation or medical care, and forcing the separation of families. The Organization has acted with relative impunity, as critics seldom dare to speak out for fear of retribution.
    [See Appendix A for examples]

Who Anonymous Are:

Anonymous is made up of activists worldwide, from all ages and occupations. Anonymous are concerned citizens who have witnessed continual intimidation and silencing of criticism on the World Wide Web and elsewhere. Anonymous has no secret agendas. Anonymous are not paid. Anonymous are not bigots, nor anti-religious. Anonymous has no central leadership or organization, only a common desire for justice.

Why Anonymous are Anonymous- or, Why Anonymous Wear Masks

As mentioned, Scientology has a long history of relentlessly intimidating, harassing, and otherwise making life miserable for its critics. Anyone who speaks out against the organization may find themselves shadowed by private investigators, picketed, sued, or worse, as part of a longstanding policy of "Fair Game," wherein members believe the organization must be protected at all costs. Critics of Scientology are viewed not as annoyances but criminals not worthy of dignity or respect, and are treated accordingly. Protesters have very real reasons to conceal their identity, as those who are discovered have been assaulted, followed, harassed, libeled, and worse.** Through numbers and anonymity, Anonymous hope to give voice to the voiceless.

Communication

Scientology as an organization has a well-documented history of waging vigorous attacks against its perceived enemies, and will almost certainly continue to misrepresent Anonymous protesters as more of their secretive and illicit behavior is exposed. False allegations from the Organization have ranged from simple misrepresentation of Anonymous' intent to false allegations of illegal or threatening activity.

As Anonymous are a group without leaders, there is always a possibility that an occasional bad apple may attempt to claim the banner of Anonymous, and if this is the case, Anonymous will cooperate to ensure justice. Anonymous are peaceful, law abiding citizens working for justice at great personal risk. Anonymous do not vandalize property, make threats, or condone any other illegal activity.

How Anonymous Protests

Most anonymous do not know the names or identities of other members for safety's sake. Anonymous protests include typical first amendment exercises such as picketing, pamphleteering, public speaking, etc., as well as occasional games and amusements to break the monotony of long protests, and to maintain a hopeful, light-hearted atmosphere.

Anonymous are careful to obey local ordinances, but these are not always apparent, and anonymous welcomes any correction if any of these activities are prohibited or carry restrictions.

So please feel free to ask questions, help us maintain good citizenship and keep the lines of communication open. [You may contact me any time at the above address/number, and I am happy to meet face to face as our schedules permit.]

Best Regards,

G. Fawkes

Appendix A=Working on an appendix listing some of the more egregious examples of FG

**Compiling RL examples

criticism welcome. :)
  21. highoverlord Member

so what am i supposed to bring to the cops? im so lost