Customize

COS paid two private investigators millions to trail David Miscavige's rival

Discussion in 'Media' started by Anonymous, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Random guy Member

Only that's just to cover Miscaviges oilness table, so they are still short.
  2. rickybobby Member

Oh, they'll find the money. They aren't short of funds, I think they have plenty of reserves, not to mention assets. I think it's evident from their actions that their cash FLOW has slowed. I just wonder by how MUCH.

R
    • Agree Agree x 5
  3. Anonymous Member

i read somewhere that Marty said he is the one that hired those PIs. imho these guys are all about money (whether true or not that they followed broeker). bottom line in my book is marty is ALWAYS involved in the fucking schemes
  4. Anonymous Member

Word. I hate that bastard. I know it was in his job description, but if he really turned over a new leaf, we would have known about this shit years ago. Marty: original DIAF gif.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  5. anon walker Moderator

Yep. Because there are some things a professional private investigator simply will not do. Key word, professional. Not like those assclown Scientology PIs like old Cartoon Face Edwin Richardson.
  6. Anonymous Member

I'm talking about undercover work, infiltration for years with their enemies, while not breaking laws, except morally, since they learned a lesson in '79 then decided on only PI's in '84.
    Now they use the OT's openly which only ridicules them and the organization.
  7. RolandRB Member

All done using tax exempt money, I presume. It is that part that gives them a problem. That is why they need to settle quickly. And even by doing that they have a problem. But don't worry -- the British taxpayer will pick up the tab for this one.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. RolandRB Member

Dear PIs, do not worry about running short of money. The long suffering British taxpayer will provide. The good officers of the City of London Corporation effectively donate $450K per year to the Church of Scientology mother church of British taxpayers' money (that gets siphoned off the accounts as "owed to other churches") in the form of "charitable" mandatory non-domestic rates relief. So there is plenty of British taxpayers' money coming your way and there is not a damned thing the British public can do to stop it. You will get your money right up until the day you retire (and I guess beyond) so sit back and relax. The British public will see you right -- we love to give money to charity.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. The Wrong Guy Member

Two detectives describe their two-decade pursuit of an exiled Scientology leader - Tampa Bay Times

By Joe Childs and Thomas C. Tobin, Times Staff Writers
    In Print: Sunday, September 30, 2012

In a three-hour interview with the Tampa Bay Times in the office of their Texas lawyer, Ray Jeffrey, the investigators shared details of their top-secret work. They told a rollicking tale of espionage and described the expense to which Scientology went to gather intelligence on real and perceived enemies.

The investigators' lawyer says the church paid them between $10 million and $12 million. In addition to Broeker, they followed several other church targets, including a drug company executive who now is governor of Indiana — Mitch Daniels.

Brazen and invasive, the operations were financed by money from parishioners. The payments to the two detectives always stopped short of the $10,000 threshold that triggers notification to the IRS, the men said.

Responding to questions from the Times, the church acknowledged the men "provided various services" as independent contractors. But spokeswoman Karin Pouw described the lawsuit as "nothing more than a transparent shakedown effort.''

She characterized virtually their entire narrative — their tales of following Broeker, the sums they were paid, their accounts of dealings with church officials — as "inaccurate," without giving specifics.

The investigators never met Miscavige but say they were told he was calling the shots. Pouw said church lawyers supervised them and Miscavige had no involvement.

"Any allegations to the contrary are malicious fabrications and compete balderdash," Pouw said.

On Wednesday, the men said they kept notes, emails, audiotapes and photos documenting their pursuit of Broeker. The Times asked for the materials and they said they would consider the request. Hours later, settlement talks began and they declined further contact with the newspaper.

More, and video, at www.tampabay.com/news/scientology/article1254129.ece
    • Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 5
  10. failboat Member

RAY JEFFREY: 2
    CULT: 0
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. jensting Member

And I thought that it would be all done by Monday. Slackers!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. YouSeeNothing Member

I guess we won't get to see Miscavige testify?
  13. muldrake Member

The usual cult schtick from here on out is either they settle the case, or else, if there's no agreement, the cult comes back and claims that the settlement talks (that they initiated) were extortion and blackmail.

I bet these two scumbag PIs settle. All they care about is money, if they were willing to stoop as low as to work for this crime cult. The only reason they might not settle is if they get too greedy and demand too much.

As for Marty Rathbun, he's just as bad as these two creeps.

Really, everyone involved should be in prison for structuring transactions.

Considering the possible sources of the money, there may be another name for this conduct: money laundering.
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  14. jensting Member

ya know, I do wonder if it would be any use to repeat "structuring payments" over and over and over again all over the Internet until it shows up as often as "third wheel" when curious ignoramuses search for "David Miscavige?"

Quite possibly not, but that won't stop me!
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Anonymous Member

Thinking of money laundering ... would it be possible DM gets someone to sue Co$, gets a shitload of money to park on a bank account for Davey himself, in case the ship is sinking too fast? Makes only sense in the moment Davey recognizes the ship is indeed sinking (and he is not dumb, I think).
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Random guy Member

Actually, we did. I can't remember if it was Rathbun who told the SP Times, but they did run an article on it in connection to the Truth Rundown series.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Anonymous Member

QFFT
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. YouSeeNothing Member

I guess we can expect a lawsuit from Pat Broeker too? Just a thought, but wouldn't he make a great head of the indy movement?
    • Funny Funny x 2
  19. Clusterdux Member

Doesn't look like it.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Anonymous Member

The lawsuit might, what did/does the law and how do you do it now?
  21. Anonymous Member

Hm.
  22. Yes. Here is how it will go.
    Feds to Detectives: We would like to speak with you guys about some possible criminal activities regarding the Church of Scientology.

Detectives to Feds: We can't talk to you. The Church of Scientology made us promise not to talk to you guys about anything having to do with them.

Feds to Detectives: Oh, ok, we're sorry. We didn't know that. You are free to go.
    • Funny Funny x 3
  23. Ogsonofgroo Member

Pretty sure the Dwarfenfuher will be sucking up something all weekend, like a case of scotch? :p
    An observation made by others regarding the trickling-off of the PI payments had me thinking, makes sense if they're paying out of monthly revenue, and if so, does indicate that their well of cash-cowz is drying up (awww-wah!). Been a general consensus that cult hates to dig into their off-shore money stashes (loose estimates placing that in the over a billion, wonder what the tax-free interest is on that?). Still astounding that CoS has gotten away with years of spending millions of their ill-gotten, tax-free, gains on this sort of fuckery and not been brought to task on their 'charitable' status more often.

Oh, and Fuck you OSA and the psychopathic, vertically challenged, dick-tater ya rode in on. (and a special cup o' fuck you goes to the ever evasive spokes-ho Karen Peww)

Off to de market, gonna need a 50lb. sack of popcorn for these latest fiascos :)
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Random guy Member

I don't know the US legal system too well, but can a gag order actually stop a federal investigation getting the answers they need?
  25. The Wrong Guy Member

Sorry, can't talk now. (Wearing a ball gag.)
    • Funny Funny x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. RightOn Member

I don't think so
    I think the feds can get answers. Not sure tho.
    Not surprised at a settlement at all.
  27. Anonymous Member

Really makes you think why on earth would Miscavige let it get this far. The PIs filed their initial suit in July - but one without many details. However, just seeing their name on a law-suit should have been enough for Miscavige to realize where it was all going, i.e. them telling the world all about their surveillance on Pat Broeker.
    I get the sense that Miscavige is this tiny dictator who does not listen to the voice of reason [which is presumably his attorneys] until its too late. He always settles right before the final disaster.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. Anonymous Member

29. Anonymous Member

Don't have any docs, I thought I've seen it on one of the articles about the suit. I might be wrong.
  30. Anonymous Member

My impression from people like Jesse Prince and other sources us that Pat Broeker was as much of a dick as his buddy Dave but just got outmanoeuvred.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  31. Anonymous Member

The impression given by the PIs is that Broeker was a regular citizen, nice guy and not the bad ass they'd originally been told he was. But what do I know.
  32. Anonymous Member

absolute power corrupts absolutely.

If broeker hadn't lost the battle for supremacy, we would be in exactly the same situation, a criminal cultic con, except no dwarf jokes.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  33. Anonymous Member

I don't think so. So people need to be sociopaths and ruthless in order to size power. He clearly didn't have what it takes. He lived a studious life, putting himself through a med school, he doesn't sound too bad.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  34. Anonymous Member

People improve when they stop being part of, and using, scientology.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  35. Anonymous Member

True that, I suppose.
  36. Anonymous Member

Has anyone put a pencil to this to figure out how much these guys have been paid over the years, then asked why they don't have a sizable nest-egg? I'm seeing numbers as high as $1,000,000/year for 25 years. These guys would have to have been living pretty high on the hog to spend it all.
  37. Anonymous Member

Get a new calculator. LOL
  38. Anonymous Member

Wut?
  39. Anonymous Member

10-12 million over 24+ years divided by 2
  40. Anonymous Member

That's right. Now do the arithmetic. The result ain't $1M/year.
    • Like Like x 1