Customize

Curiosity on Mars. AMERICA, FUCK YEAH.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by failboat, Aug 6, 2012.

1. Internetzin Member

Way to go chairman mao
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Dragononymous Member

Curiosity is allowed to use a parachute.
    So is my cell phone
  3. Anonymous Member

51ZtLpn4mFL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  4. failboat Member

5. And yet, the rate of growth in the world's population is declining. You're thinking pandemics, but potable water will be a more significant limiting factor.
  6. anon walker Moderator

Yep!
  7. anon walker Moderator

Yeah. Just wait until this vital resource is privatized. It'll be the New Oil!
  8. Anonymous Member

dammit, song stuck in my head now

if you go carrying pictures of chairman mao.
    you ain't gonna make it with anyone anyhow
    hum hum hum
    shooby do be alright
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Kilia Member

Remember, "All these worlds are yours except Europa. Attempt no landing there....."
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Forget privatization. The relative scarcity of the resource will be a big enough problem. I've seen shows about large scale desalinization plants. Those aren't cheap, and they are in operation, with more being built.
  11. anon walker Moderator

There's one build in north county. They said it can produce enough fresh water to fill a swimming pool every minute. That's a lot of fresh!
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

Let me give it to you as simple as possible because you are so mad that facts are not getting past your rage filter.

1) The bacterium you are describing are probably not going to be on any space equipment. Especially since NASA is kind of a stickler about things staying clean. Also: The Radiation from the sun is exponentially more than all the reactors on the Earth and weapons combined. It is also not the same radiation.

2) What seems to be going over your head is that there hasn't been conclusive proof that life still exists on Mars. So, until it is found (by probe or by actual landing humans on the planet) your point is invalid. Defending your point is pointless until there is evidence that there is still viable life on the planet. Then again: My points are pointless as well if life does still exist there.

3) Fossilized bacterium is not concrete proof that life still exists there. Until it is proven different, arguing whether or not the probes fuck shit up is pointless. Of course we won't know unless we send probes or humans now, will we?

4) There isn't much of a disagreement that yeah, first contact always never ends well. However, your point of "We shouldn't do it because we fuck shit up" is even more pointless than saying the Curiosity will fuck shit up when we still don't know how it can. It is even more LOLable than saying the Earth is 5,000 years old.

5) Eventually we are going to have to get off this rock. Maybe not in your lifetime, maybe not in mine. However that is an eventuality that has to be a reality if the human race is to survive. Whether it is done by the US or by another country is irrelevant. Yeah, we may fuck shit up, but the hope is that humanity can learn from it's mistakes and not make the same mistakes twice....

...but you'd much rather do something different. Would love to hear how you'd fix things rather than hear you do lame insults.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. failboat Member

• Like Like x 3
  14. Clever Name Member

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. Anonymous Member

16. RightOn Member

everyone sing the Galatic Patrol march!
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. Anonymous Member

zakeng5a.png
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Random guy Member

Is there an actual repeating melody in there, or is the guy just making it up as he goes along?
  19. failboat Member

• Funny Funny x 6
  20. Anonymous Member

Lol at rage, nice try.

Bacteria are unquestionably the most successful life form on the planet, by number, variation and adaptability. We have not found their limits yet.

It hasn't gone over my head that evidence has not been found yet, human history is not good when it comes to discovering new species. What has gone over your head is my argument, I'm not against exploring other planets, I just raised the point that "fuck yeah" may not be the best way to go about it. Humans go about discovering with little thought of what their effect may be on the things they are discovering. If aliens came to this planet to discover life and their landing craft poisoned the planet making life extinct you wouldn't be too happy.

As for getting off this rock for us to survive lol. Too much sci fi
  21. anon walker Moderator

Yeah...like science fiction hasn't predicted a lot of things that eventually became real.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  22. failboat Member

I had no idea you could garner so much of my stance on the nuances of space exploration policy from the words "Fuck" and "Yeah."
    • Funny Funny x 3
  23. Anonymous Member

Doesn't mean it's necessary
  24. Anonymous Member

Sorry, I meant "America, fuck yeah"

Don't need any deep thought, statement says it all.
  25. Anonymous Member

And it doesn't mean it isn't necessary.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

If a bacterium can survive the rads the sun can crank out: Then it is highly unlikely humanity can hurt it.

Let me address parts of this because the parts where you are correct ("I just raised the point that "fuck yeah" may not be the best way to go about it.") isn't worth readdressing. (Again, you are correct: The "America Fuck Yeah" shit is LOLable)

Please show details how we should explore without fucking shit up.

Otherwise: Fucking things up is a possibility. All we can do is try to minimize it.

And NO: NASA does consider the effects that sending probes to Mars and whatnot could have.

So says the person who has obviously watched way to much Avatar.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  27. failboat Member

Honestly, I was only congratulating the country that funded the space agency that put the rover on Mars with those words. I wasn't trying to make a policy statement of any kind with the title - although there is a policy statement in my OP. I would like to see more rovers (from more countries) exploring Mars and determining its habitability for life, present, past, and future.

If it were the European Space Agency that had accomplished a similarly spectacular feat, the title of this thread might be "EUROPE, FUCK YEAH." But the ESA didn't, so this thread title is not.

As has been pointed out by others, congratulations are due to the agency and/or country that funded the project.

You could start a thread about the Large Hadron Collider finding the Higgs boson, with the title "EUROPE, FUCK YEAH," and it would be incorrect for anyone to conclude anything regarding your stance on physics or science policy as a result of that title. I would only conclude that you were congratulating your nation-states based on those 3 words.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  28. failboat Member

• Like Like x 2
  29. failboat Member

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/multimedia/pia16039.html

675823main_pia16039-946b.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
  30. Anonymous Member

Personally I believe any amount of money that goes towards science and not war is okay. Although I am not American and do get pissed off at 'AMERICA, FUCK YEAH' I have to say, this is ground breaking.

Soil for tests that will never be useful? C'mon son. Even America are smarter than that. Although clearly you are not.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  31. As an American, I find myself saying "Fuck my life" a lot. I agree this is a great achievement, and if it hastens the day when we put people on Mars, I'm all for it. I would love to see the money we've spent on war go to science and infrastructure instead. It'd set us, and by us, I mean the world, in much stronger stead.
  32. Internetzin Member

Could we just settle on spending the money on whats broken here first?
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  33. We need the raw science craft like Curiosity will produce to have a better chance to do so. Besides, it's not like the money is leaving Earth. Scientists eat and spend money like the rest of us.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  34. mongrel Member

Considering the fact that "people" are what's broken, what do you propose we spend money on to solve the problem? We already spend $1.5 trillion every year on better ways to kill each other. 2% of the world's population has hoarded 50% of everything there is to own. Billions of people cannot tolerate the fact that someone is different, so therefore should be destroyed.

Space exploration may be part of the solution to that problem. It helps us understand that the divisions we have created are really not that important on the largest of scales.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  35. Internetzin Member

Thinking more along the lines of world hunger/disease, and maybe big Pharma for what ails the western world ;)
  36. Which, again, means pure science that leads to new discoveries, something the space program has been particularly good at. NASA's budget needs a couple of extra zeros on the end of it.
  37. Herro Member

You can't get to Jupiter on a motorcycle and cheap beer...
    • Like Like x 2
  38. Internetzin Member

Sure, could have some fun trying tho.