Customize

Curiosus: Buddhism as an alternative clearing path

Discussion in 'Independent Scientology' started by Anonymous, May 7, 2013.

1. Anonymous Member

EDITORIAL NOTE: The blog of Curiosus is highly recommended.

The following is an example of what I have characterized as Liberal Independent Scientology. Yes, even if the author would not so characterize himself, and even if some would object. As always, YMMV.

Curiosus: Buddhism as an alternative clearing path
    http://curiosus-scn.blogspot.fr/2013/05/buddhism-as-alternativeclearing-path.html
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  2. Anonymous Member

Oooh. Free self delusion. Worth a shot.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Anonymous Member

yechhh! yet more lowered reality acceptable truths designed to burnish the increasinly frail religious cloaking of scientology. I wonder at what stage any one sucked in with this latest bullshit gets told that hubbard said buddhism is a whole track police operaton designed to keep the populace under control.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Anonymous Member

5. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. For those who haven't yet figured it out, the mad Hubbard talked out of both sides of his mouth.

He ripped quite a bit of scientology off from Buddhism, and claimed to be the incarnation of the Bodhisattva Maitreya (Hymn of Asia); and, almost in the same breath he condemns Buddhism as a false path, waka waka.

Sounds like "Curiosus" has head firmly implanted in arse.
  7. Anonymous Member

I think it would be fair to say that the central concept in 'clearing' is the reliving of past memories or relieving the charge of past memories, all with the intention of reaching the end phenomenon where those memories no longer have negative influence. I can’t say for sure what bits he nicked from Buddhism since I know little about Buddhism, but the clearing concept sure seems like a ripped off version of Crowley’s ‘magic memory’.
  8. Anonymous Member

Which Crowley nicked from others before him such as Blavatsky and Mathers and his Golden Dawn cronies.
  9. Anonymous Member

Got dox? Not doubting you, just genuinely interested to learn more about the various ideas and concepts have been adapted as they were ripped off.
  10. Anonymous Member

Well no dox other than actually having read Mathers and Blavatsky, among others.

One of my favorite reading subjects is western esotericism which has roots in Egyptian/Greco/Roman magic, religion and symbology. Crowley is given a ton of credit (which he would think flattering, the vain prick) for many things that were long a part of esoterism, which he only publicised perhaps with a bit of personal tweaking. For example, the sci cross that everyone credits to Crowley's use was used by others before him, especially the GD, but there might have been others, as the symbol has a long history.

Ron had a habit of stealing from this deep font of lore and calling it his own invention- a act of chutzpah that even Crowley never assayed.

Grimoar.cz (?) is a good site with a lot of esoteric material. It is a long continuum and Crowley is merely a recognizable name in a long stream of thought.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. billybob Member

Anyone remember that "Matrix Hand" guy?
  12. Anonymous Member

Anon above again. Had to leave one computer for another...

Also wanted to point out that occult/esoteric lore used to be far rarer. Most twentieth century magicians (including Crowley) were published in small editions by vanity presses and the few presses dedicated to such things. Hubbard probably encountered some of this material pre-OTO/Parsons, but definitely encountered it during that time. In another egregious lack of foresight that he was liable to, he had no idea that someday those 'rare' editions would be mass published and posted on the internet for all eyes who wished to see. He thought he could pick a bit of age regression exercise from Crowley, a bit of MaitreyaLOL from Blavatsky and no-one would be any the wiser.

Many of the exercises Crowley used (and first published in works like 'Book Four') were either old yogic exercises or came from lessons the Golden Dawn called 'Flying Scrolls', so-called because they were impermanent papers to be studied and or copied by one student and sent on to the next student in line. Most of the rituals and 'flying scrolls' of the Golden Dawn are available on line and there is an entity called the 'Open Source Golden Dawn' which uses the materials (of which there are many) in public domain. It will be interesting to see how things go with scientology as it splinters. Will the indies go 'open source' (as most of the stuff is available on line) or will they fight to maintain copyrights and secrecy?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Anonymous Member

^ Thanks for that.

One thing that struck me was that much of what Crowley wrote could, if you interpret it a certain, make sense on some sort of level. If, rather than being sensible about it, you took some of those ideas to an absurd extreme you got ideas that bore more than a passing resemblance to Hubbardian concepts. I'll be checking these other sources out - any specific source recommendations?
  14. Anonymous Member

when its come to siloonology theres an abundance of dox - start here
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Gottabrain Member

Veda on ESMB has already done complete comparisons and studies comparing Scn to Crowley's works and has dox for Hubbard's history with Crowley as well. He spent years at it and was quite meticulous. Save yourself some time.

Here is just one of his posts on this subject:

Link: http://www.forum.exscn.net/showthread.php?19156-Out-Int-—-Fact-or-Fiction/page11&p=447024#post447024
    • Like Like x 2
  16. No doubt Hubbard used some sort of black magic. You only have to read his affimations to know what he wanted.
    He got it - kind of.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Anonymous Member

Appreciate the links chaps.
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Gottabrain Member

Oh yeh it was based on black magik. The enslavement of others through their minds, the cutting away of others from their natural life vigor, connections to others and loss of individual self while personally manipulated by the puppeteer under the misguided idea that the person directing one's actions is you. Nasty, twisted, inverted stuff. Evil as it gets.

Btw, hundreds of us saw the original affirmations when copies were secretly being passed around at PAC. Hub wrote them alright.
    • Like Like x 3
  19. But don't you find it amazing that he sort of got what he wanted. He really wanted people to worship him and lots of money and got it in spades.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Gottabrain Member

I don't believe that was what he, the teeny-tiny spirit that he was, actually wanted. It was what he thought he wanted, what the artificial self he created to deal with the world wanted.

IMHO, Hubbard, that speck of a spirit, ultimately wanted to love and be loved for himself but lost complete track of who he was and never learned to love himself or anyone else. His ego prevented that.

He was a sociopath, but IMO, even sociopaths have a bit of a spirit in them somewhere. They just get lost in the false personality(s) they create.

My theory, based on the last 4 years managing a sociopath who has more similarities to Hub than I care to mention.
    • Like Like x 3
  21. Interesting take.

Informative as always <3
    • Like Like x 2
  22. Anonymous Member

Hard to say. I'm not up to date with recent commentary so there might be an excellent recently-released overview that I've missed. Any occult teacher who is anything is going to have a suggested reading list. Find like 10 of these lists and find five books they all agree on and five they don't. Also internet search for (digimob) Occult Mob's Submission Digest might be enlightening.
  23. Gottabrain Member

:) I'll be writing a paper or book on this some time. It's been quite an experience, quite a study.

Hubbard's image was loved. As a person, who knew him, really? He didn't even know himself. Was telling lies & tall tales since childhood, fabricating and designing a person that he wasn't. It would be sad if he wasn't such an asshole from the getgo.
    • Like Like x 4
  24. Good stuff. You already have a leg up on Rathbun in the sense you don't lie and you can string a sentence together.
    • Like Like x 4
  25. Gottabrain Member

Thanks. Lol - everyone writes better than Rathbun! :rolleyes: There was a time, many years ago, that I published in newspapers and magazines and won writing awards, but my skills are well below par now. With some effort, practice and classes, I hope to change that.

I won't be writing about scn particularly, though, except maybe the recovery process afterward. Scn in any form is not enjoyable to me. Sociopaths, on the other hand, are fascinating. There are very few one-on-one, personal case studies and I feel I have some worthwhile observations to add.

And ... there are a few other things which I just enjoy writing. Like fiction. :D
    • Like Like x 1
  26. Anonymous Member

indeed. understanding hubbard requires a thorough reading of his affirmations while an understanding of scientology requires a thorough reading of his brainwashing manual. put the two together with something like 'piece of blue sky' (since updated with new dox) and you pretty much have the evil exposed and the mechanics of the scam detailed.
    • Like Like x 3
  27. Anonymous Member

Insult to buddhism to compare it to 'The Bridge"
    • Like Like x 4
  28. I see little comparison between Buddhism and Scientology.

Buddhism strongly values compassion for oneself as well as others, for starters. It is much more gentle and tolerant.
  29. Hubbards disaffected son "DeWolf" used the word "Soul Cracking".
    http://www.rickross.com/reference/scientology/scien240.html
    I knew his grandson, Jamie when he was a kid. They lived down the street from us. (small, small world.) He was a sweet boy, and I knew nothing about $cientology at the time, and remembered asking him where his parents were - his mom was off in the sea org, so he was raised mostly by his grandparents.

I would love to hear / read whatever you might write, Gottabrain. :)
    (Also, quietly wondering who the sociopathic person you encountered / "managed" over the past four years might be.)
  30. Gottabrain Member

I love Jamie. :) That's so cool you knew him personally.

If there is such a thing as soul-cracking, I experienced it while receiving the Scientology Interiorization/Exteriorization Rundown (supposed to be done if a person always wants to leave) while trapped on the RPF. Sorry, but I don't wish to go into any detail about that on any forum.

The sociopath's daughter is a client, so his details are private. I am a certified carer with a Bachelor's degree in Psychology. I have a number of clients - the others are nothing like this. Jim (not real name) has low intelligence or he would not be manageable at all. He often isn't. He is also a remarkably good liar, so has been through a number of perplexed psychiatrists and psychologists. Unable to cause any positive change in him, he's been passed off from one to another for years. That's all I can really say publicly.
  31. Anonymous Member

This title offends me.
    Buddhism isn't a clearing path. Buddhism is based on guilt. Everything has a life, and humans are not more important. Anything you eat you have murdered.
    Scientology allows people to feel no guilt for anything including lying, cheating, and killing.
  32. Anonymous Member

Yep, the only clearing you get in real buddhism is when you walk away from the whole thing, the big wheel, and that eventually involves non-existence: on this planet, Mars, or anywhere else. Like the concept of Hindu karma, buddhist compassion and detachment have been 'inaccurately defined' to suit the needs of the new age gurus in the west for at least a century (and how many could fact-check esoteric beliefs even twenty years ago? This has been an old game since Blavatsky channeled Tibetan Lamas...).

Ron clutching his shoe boxes and suitcases of dough was about the last person to grok the core message of buddhism, let alone be a Maitreya.
    • Like Like x 3
  33. Gottabrain Member

Buddhism is SO outdated.

Karma as a strictly personal experience is passé. Fucking Stupid. Scientology is even more stupid.

Most evil is caused by people beginning to follow instincts (food, shelter, group belonging & status, protecting territory), then getting caught up in weird belief systems while still mindlessly following their instincts like a compulsion-driven machine. Gluttony. Greed. Prejudice. Discrimination... to name just a few basic examples.

Instinct driven insanity propelled by human ego.

That's NOT karma for the victims of these insane compulsions. Absolute bullshit to assign it to personal karma - and just an excuse for the mindless criminals who use that as an excuse.
    • Like Like x 2
  34. inspired Member

Nice! Looking forward to reading it and learning more. Wishing you much strength and success. <3
    • Like Like x 2
  35. moarxenu Member

I will look forward to reading this, but it has the same fundamental problem of works on the "usefulness" of Buddhism - the authors are ignorant of the deeply radical nature of Buddhism.

The teaching of the Buddha is not about strengthening the ego and adorning it with psychic powers but about destroying its power.

A Zen master wrote, "The Zendo is not a place for pleasant experiences. It is a furnace to burn up your ego-desires."
    • Like Like x 2
  36. Gottabrain Member

That's all well and good, but the personal karma concept is a central aspect of Buddhism and entirely off base.

It just doesn't work. Would be nice if living and people were that simple. Unfortunately, they just aren't.

Buddhism is an offshoot of Hinduism. Like Scientology, it didn't embrace the more complex concepts but sought instead to make its own truth and force that truth to be universal when it wasn't.

Hinduism emphasizes the many facets of the gods and an interconnectedness to one central creator/life source. It's complicated and extensive, but includes basic concepts like "all life is precious and to be respected" (central to the Moslem faith, as well, which grew out of Hinduism) and is inclusive of all other faiths without contradicting Hinduism. The Christian trinity probably derived from the Hindu trinity. A person can study Hinduism his whole life and still not know half of it. Modern Hinduism focuses far too much on societal, worship and dietary rules - many of which were necessary ages ago but have since become outdated (as in Judaism).

As a plus, Buddhism is a peaceful religion that doesn't condone violence and that's a huge plus. The minus is the Buddhists never figured out how to deal with the bad acts of others so chuffed it off as "personal karma" for the victims. Half the time, that just isn't true. Unfortunately, many Buddhists practice non-involvement with correcting wrongs in society because of the mistaken karma concept and a lack of information in the religion on dealing with societal problems. That's because Buddhism arose out of a society that hadn't changed for centuries and offered a religion that would seal that unchanging society in beliefs that this is the way it was meant to be. Leaders didn't change, powers remained the same. Buddhism did nothing to change the status quo. Radical my ass! That's about the last word I'd use to describe Buddhism.

But I digress...

There is no "true" religion. All have negatives and positives. Everything comes down to individual compassion and the willingness to take peaceful, positive action to correct wrongs.
    • Like Like x 1