Customize

Daily Newbies and the Tragic Thread Plague. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Support Questions' started by Robocat, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azote Member

TL;DR
    The problem is not there are too many new members (on the contrary, it is a good thing), but there are too many trolls who register.
    Personally, I have found that there are not many people who enjoy degrading the forum for a forum like WWP that accepts anonymous posts.

This forum is a reference for beginners Anonymous. But I think the site of WWP is too ... Empty. It should offer a guide, explained and clear about everything a beginner might need.
    It should also clarify some areas of the forum for the creation of discussion (mainly on projects, ideas, and simple information that you want to share with others Anon) is more intuitive.

A guide for the basic user, easy to understand and short, would also be welcome.

(Sorry, I'm a French user)
  2. anonymous612 Member

I do really wish the frontpage was more detailed, too, but it isn't a high priority.
  3. Anonymous Member

dammit havent I told you to not follow me to my house in another thread?
    =]
  4. Robocat Member

Thanks for all the interesting and varied opinions. You have given me a good impression of what people want. That's all I was looking for. Thanks all.
  5. sallysock Member

Okay- I've seen and have trolled the new member threads which you refer to. What if there was a one hour time period between when you could become a member and post a new thread? (At first I was thinking 24 hrs- but that seems "not freedom of information enough." Less is more...)
    One hour between becoming a member and posting a new thread???
    Thoughts?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. sallysock Member

I like this as much as I like scones.
    Yum.
    P.S. Your thoughts and feelings are valid.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Loki's spawn Member

One hour is way too short. 24 hrs (or even longer) would be good, though. Give them time to see what sort of fail the thread would be. If they still post it, well, it would have happened sooner or later.
  8. Anonymous Member

that made me laugh so hard.
    thank you, Anonymous Ausfag.
  9. Anonymous Member

Thoughts hivemind???
    Mods?
    Anyone????
  10. Anonymous Member

Retarded.
  11. n3uromanc3r Member

This thread is worse than my thread on the technological singularity.

Robocat, you're regressing towards pre-noob status. Turn this ship around.

My views are probably known, but I'll express them again nonetheless. Everything that isn't trolling should be left up (and for that matter, even some trolling should be left up for the lulz). The garbage pile should be reserved for ScnTO and the like. Other threads should be left alone so that people can reply to them and add insight, if they so choose. You don't like a thread, fine. Leave it the fuck alone.

/butthurt PTSD
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Robocat Member

Hi sock. I'm a sock too.

Well. This thread - clearly made by my grumpy sock, and not my happy shoes ... is really somewhat rhetorical and yet is part plead

I too had thought of a waiting period proposal for new members. This would not be effective, as WWP allows socks. So, if I were an undesirable new member, I could create multiple socks, and stagger them in membership. It would render the waiting period completely ineffective. I actually wrote this all out in the original OP but deleted this thought before posting.

How I feel, is that in an anonymous forum, you get what you get, and nothing has ever been any different. Ever. Old days or not. In the beginning, I thought it was fun that OSA would show up, be obvious, and get engaged by us, and besides - they are a part of the fight. We defeat them.

In the OP I may have come off overstated, but I think you know what I mean. It has been getting kinda messy. If I wanted Yahoo News, I'd have a Yahoo account.

I understand that Anonymous has a global identity with multiple personalities. I wanted to know if the hive wanted to say something about it.

I got from the responses that it is a mixture of newbs being extra stupid (kids these days!) and a nod to the ones who embrace "change" in the form of boundless diversity. Yeah, and all points between.
  13. anonymous612 Member

Nothing is worse than your thread on the technological singularity. Scientology is not worse than your thread on the technological singularity. You're the exact problem the OP is talking about.
  14. This discussion is pointless.

You are presenting a solution in search of a problem. If you don't like a thread, don't post in it, simple as that.
    • Like Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.