Customize

Danger from Blackberry, cell phone pix

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Anonymous, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Anonymous Member

Danger from Blackberry, cell phone pix

You may already know this, but some anons don't.

Information from photographs taken by cellphones, many digital cameras and Blackberries can take away your anonymity.

This information, metadata, can allow someone to grab a lot of info about your camera, each picture, etc. That might not sound too bad, but picture hosting sites do not remove this info. And now that data can tell anyone looking where you were, (GPS) depending on what you are using to take your pictures.

The thing that I want to let other anons is that some information can include exactly where you were and when. Blackberries and advanced cameraphones can have your GPS information embedded in the metadata of pictures you take.

Here is a website that will walk you through how to disable some of these functions.

I Can Stalk U - Raising awareness about inadvertent information sharing

There are also other anons who really know about this stuff!

Remember, you may have no problem leaving this info on your images, but other anons in your photos may have to stay as anon as possible.

If this note would do more good in another area, say so, please. It's anons that are not up on this that need to know.

---I am not an expert, but I learned about metadata the hard way.----
  2. Anonymous Member

Re: Danger from Blackberry, cell phone pix

This is old news.
    There is free exif software out there,that enables user's to wipe data from jpg's.
    Or just turn off gps tagging for jpg's on your phone.
  3. Anonymous Member

Ps
    This includes droid phones and iphones
  4. Budd Member

Big Brother and 1984 are just around the corner... and 666 is following not far behind!
  5. Anonymous Member

OPanda IExif EXIF (metadata) viewer editor is one such freeware EXIF viewer/ editor which runs either stand-alone or from within IE or Firefox. Some of it's more advanced features are only available in a commercial version but the freeware version maintains the ability to wipe EXIF data from image files.

With the commercial version (not expensive) you can easily go in and change those GPS coordinates and other relevant information to anything you wish, providing hours of fun and endless confusion for OSA OSA OSA.
  6. Anonymous Member

WHAT ARE AM THIS "META-DATA"? PERCHANCE IT WITCHCRAFT??????? THROW HER INTO THE BOG!!
  7. anonymous256 Member

is the big brother ideal from 1984 becoming a small meme or something now??
    i read the book and BAM all i see is bog brother plastered everywhere
  8. Anonymous Member

It has been for decades

Logically, most likely, you are just much more attuned to and aware of it when you see it now.
  9. Anonymous Member

lol @ bog brother :)

I love it!

Bog+Snorkelling+Triathlon+F1_lIpJQznUl.jpg
  10. Anonymous Member

11. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

I would send them to these Coordinates:

42°26′05″N 83°59′06″W
  12. Skeptic1337 Member

You are aware of what happened last time some one posted lat long cords on a forum as it relates to scientology?

I say this half jokingly but reality is some times stranger then fiction :)
  13. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

No I don't... Did OSA, DM or Tommy Davis invade Hell, Michigan?
  14. Skeptic1337 Member

15. Anonymous Member

Hello, just to clarify, I know it isn't new news. I was really worked over by someone else's metadata long ago. NOT GOOD, believe me.

However, I never could stay ahead of the tech curve to convince some people that this wasn't an urban legend!

I figured that anons who needed to know could look at the site, and anons that know much more than I do would chime in with better ideas.

Thanks!

As for metadata and ways to fix it, yes, it is 'old news' except to people who think a camera is a camera is a camera & don't even think about it.

I've gotten lots of blank looks when I mention the topic. Some suggest I get a tinfoil hat. I have one, don't worry :D
  16. Anonymous Member

normal
    exif data

google exif editor
  17. free exif software doesn't really do much for your sharing from your smartphone, and turning off GPS/geotagging doesn't do anything for other metadata like your phone model, date/time, etc.