Customize

Day without music on the Internet

Discussion in 'Think Tank' started by Anonymous, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Anonymous Member

Hello everyone,
    Like many of you I fought for the blanket license so that artists get paid decently for their creations on the Net.
    Against the will of millions of Internet users, we saw Hadopi arrive in France and his retinue of draconian laws and amendments that do not change anything in the game in the cultural industry. Culture goes straight into the wall ...

I'm all for a fee of ISPs for Cultural Contents Value Added to encourage artistic creation.

I invite you to put your views here on such a tax and to think about throwing a virus that removes the sound on a PC for a day to raise public awareness on the rights of artists on the Internet and launch a signal alarm service providers and majors.
  2. Ersatz Global Moderator

Pretty sure that is illegal in nearly every place WWP goes. We don't condone illegal activity on this site.
  3. Anonymous Member

Such a virus would only annoy people and make them hate your cause.
  4. Anonymous Member

raise public awareness by pissing people off? good luck with that.
  5. I'm not entirely sure what you're supporting here, but infecting computers with a virus is a dick move.
  6. Anonymous Member

What is illegal Ersatz ?
    It is illegal to dispossess an artist of his rights on the Internet, no ?

This virus it's an idea, a concept...
  7. Zak McKracken Member

Now you're calling it an "abstract concept"?

Thinking about writing and distributing a destructive program causing malicious damage to the computers of random bystanders isn't necessarily illegal but actually creating/distributing one is illegal.

Discussing, and suggesting that people engage in creating and distributing viruses isn't necessarily illegal (it may be in some cases),
    but such discussion is not allowed on Why We Protest forums. We don't support this kind of crazy-talk. We are not going to.

Also, your constitutional court found that HADOPI is not "dispossessing the rights of artists" illegally. The court may be mistaken or confused, but they are apparently the arbiters of law in your country. There are plenty of ways to remedy this problem, though most of them will be difficult indeed. I wish you good luck, but viruses will not remedy the problem.

I believe that it is also, very much unclear to your average French citizen, how HADOPI removes and restricts the rights of artists. On the surface, it seems that it would protect the rights of artists against the horrible criminal pirates on the Internet. If you want ordinary people to understand that it is harming artists more than it harms pirates, you will need a strong informational campaign to explain that case. Its not "obvious" that anti-piracy laws hurt content creators, while benefiting media corporations which license and profit from these creations.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Anonymous Member

And this metaphysical preaching, it's a beacon of dickishness, no ?
  9. Ersatz Global Moderator

You missed the memo. We are the music industry.
  10. Discernment Member

This makes as much sense as Helen Keller playing hide and seek.

HellenKeller-HideSeekChampion.jpg
  11. Anonymous Member

OK OK, not virusing the world !
    In any case, the France's situation is terrible right now.
    Of course the artists are dumb.

The government increased the prices of essential commodities, goes to war against the Arabs when they are 20 million in the country ...

Most French people are against this government and not vote. But the media only give false statistics ... The Internet is controlled soon ...
  12. Anonymous Member

OK OK, not virusing the world !
    In any case, the France's situation is terrible right now.
    Of course the artists are dumb.

The government increased the prices of essential commodities, goes to war against the Arabs when they are 20 million in the country ...

Most French people are against this government and not vote. But the media only give false statistics ... The Internet is controlled soon ...
  13. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

FIFY

Look, I am all for free speech and fighting the RIAA/MPAA assholes, but not like this. The idea alone isn't a wise thing to air out since they will go "OH NOES! Anon is going to attack again! Lets go nanners!"

If you want to fight them, do what I do: I listen to Newgrounds and its 100% legal to download their tunes. Better yet, if I fancy a song on the radio, I download it via Itunes. Yeah, Itunes isn't free. Yeah, Itunes is picky about its DRM scheme. Still, a buck a song? That is a bargain to me.
  14. Herro Member

Your level of stupidity is criminal. Of this I am sure.