Customize

Democracy ? There is an app for this

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spire, May 7, 2015.

1. Spire Member

Hi everyone,

I wanted to tell you about an open-source application currently in development.
    You can get an explanation of the project here : http://www.ted.com/talks/pia_mancini_how_to_upgrade_democracy_for_the_internet_era?language=en

For the people that just want to know what it's about , it's an app that enables you to :
    1) Get informed
    2) Express yourself
    About what ? Well about all the discussions, debates, laws projects, etc... that are currently on going in your country.

And it's pretty well done in my opinion , even though it's still a beta version at the moment :
    - Summary of the topic
    - Summary of the pros and cons arguments about the topic
    - You can put commentaries not only on the topic in general but also near the paragraph you agree/disagree with.
    - Etc...

I liked the idea and I think it could get really important in the future : you would get information (so no more important laws that passed unnoticed) and, if the app gets important enough in your country, it could even have an actual voice.
    So I wanted to share it with you. And if some of you are interested in it, you can try the demo version here on their website : http://democracyos.org/

So, what do you think ?

Disclaimer : I don't have anything to do with this organization. :)
  2. Darth Alor Member

good intentions, and we are not an organization, more or less a collective. :D
  3. Spire Member

Thanks for the feedbak. :)
    Also what I meant in the disclaimer was that I have nothing to do with the people who made the app, that it's not advertisement. I wasn't talking about WWP. ;)
  4. Anonymous Member

There are tons of such sites and apps. Could you tell me how this one is better? (didn't watch the video)
  5. DeathHamster Member

There are problems with direct democracy.
  6. Spire Member

I would like to answer your question but I didn't know such applications before this one so I can't tell you why this one is better. But I'm very interested in knowing some of the ones you mention.
    Do you remember some of them ?

Yup. I agree with that.
    I see this more like something that could be constructive, add something to the discussion, inform us about what's going on (while having the two sides of the discussion !) and maybe have an influence, but certainly not like a real voting system.