Customize

Detroit Idle Org Closed By Order of the People!!!

Discussion in 'Flash Raids' started by subgenius, Jun 5, 2011.

1. TorontosRoot Member

You will need a sign, a mask and to lurk moar too. ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  2. AnonMichigan Member

When is this? Has this been done already? And anymore coming up?
  3. subgenius Member

WTF are you waiting for, a gold plated invitation?
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Enturbuleak Member

[ apologies to Subgenius, I'm a dick ]

sfd5ngd.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
  5. subgenius Member

No apology necessary.
    I, myself, often say it has to be the worst city on earth. But we have THAT going for us anyway.
    • Like Like x 4
  6. TorontosRoot Member

HOW can the cult survive without getting BLOWN THE FUCK UP?!?! like seriously?!?! :D
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Enturbuleak Member

Flint is the worst...

The drummer for Sonic Youth was one of my roommates in college.
  8. subgenius Member

Not to be disagreeable, but these days Flint is a garden of Eden compared to Detroit.
    Plus Detroit is on a much bigger scale of devastation. Although Flint does have its occasional stabber running amok thing going, so there's that.
    I didn't know that about the drummer being from Flint.
    Just googled him
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Shelley

Also in the movie "Devil and Daniel Johnston"....interesting.
  9. Enturbuleak Member

10. Enturbuleak Member

I was one of the rotating members of Strange Fruit. Crucifucks were a hoot. I had the pleasure of opening for Minor Threat a couple times. Ian was one intelligent dude. But was a spoiled suburbanite.
  11. subgenius Member

Cool.(Not the Crucifucks, eh?)
    You guys too young, or Flinty, to have played Bookies back in the day?
  12. Enturbuleak Member

Crucifucks got investigated by Secret Service, because they had an image of Reagan in the crosshairs.
  13. Enturbuleak Member

Nah, I stayed the hell away from Detroit. Try googling God Bullies, great guitarist, long time roommate, super intelligent, wonderful way with words.
  14. subgenius Member

Will do. Gotta go now.
  15. Quentinanon Member

16. Rod Keller Member

17. Enturbuleak Member

When I think of Detroit bands, I think of God Bullies.

18. Enturbuleak Member

Currently, Scientology Detroit is not available

BI6U64t.png

But Google cache still has the address

OuPnHH4.png
    • Like Like x 3
  19. subgenius Member

Gonna smoke cigarettes gonna get cancer
    I say Yeah!
    Gonna trade my wife for a bottomless dancer
  20. subgenius Member

Griswold and Jefferson
    He he street view shows a sign on the door.
    Can't get direct link to work.
    135 Griswold Detroit 48226
  21. Rod Keller Member

Thank you. Streetview shows a Scientology sign on that building, but I guess it has closed. It is not the metal door building in the photos.
  22. Rod Keller Member

Thank you.
  23. Anonymous Member

Street Views, 2011:

Screen Shot 2013-09-14 at 6.53.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-09-14 at 6.54.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-09-14 at 6.55.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2013-09-14 at 6.55.49 PM.png
  24. subgenius Member

WHO put that sign on the door?
    Street view 3/2013
    111ro7k.jpg
    • Like Like x 4
  25. DeathHamster Member

Their Idle Org page at detroitidealorg.com died 7/28/2012ish. Their domain at detroitidealorg.org still exists .. but it redirects to detroitidealorg.com, lol!

I'd have thought that the salt mines of Detroit would be a perfect site for the RPF.
    http://www.environmentalgraffiti.co...tory/news-salt-city-1200-feet-beneath-detroit
    http://io9.com/5911837/the-vast-abandoned-salt-mines-that-lurk-beneath-detroit
    • Like Like x 1
  26. subgenius Member

Yes they would.
    I always wanted to take a tour, but I don't think they do that anymore.
    Note to self: call.
  27. Enturbuleak Member

Sub,

Did the Detroit Ideal Org get shuttered? Not a rhetorical question.
  28. subgenius Member

Never opened. Had a couple fund raisers there, but still an empty hulk.
    The Farmington Hills org was open the last time I checked, but your post makes me want to pay a visit.
    I also did a little something at the Farrakhan Mosque/Org. That was exciting..
    2nbh9pj.jpg
    One of the last times I was at FHills, the only ones I saw were Farrakhani women.
    I tried to picket Farrakhan's appearance in Detroit this year, but couldn't even get near the place. And didn't feel secure enough, solo, to even put up my awesome sign.
    Gotta figure that in US at least the only fresh meat is coming from NOI.
    • Like Like x 2
  29. The Wrong Guy Member

This recent article showed up in a news search:

The Church of Scientology Owns Building Near Hart Plaza | Curbed Detroit

By Sarah Cox, September 26, 2014

In 2007, the Church of Scientology bought a building in Detroit for their regional headquarters. According to an archival Det News article, they paid $3.5 million for a vacant eight-story building facing Hart Plaza. That building is 1 Griswold Street, aka the "Raymond James building" and was the location of the first church in Detroit, according to Detroit 1701. A tipster points us to this video (see second one down) suggesting that the Scientologists are finally ready to launch a new Detroit project and might just be making an announcement Sunday.

Source, with open comments:
    http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/...scientology-owns-building-near-hart-plaza.php
    • Like Like x 3
  30. TorontosRoot Member

...The building was never even used by the cult I bet. Vacant. Empty promises... Fraud.
    • Like Like x 1
  31. Quentinanon Member

Went over to Detroit when visiting a friend in Windsor for lunch in Greektown.
    It's a dumpy mid-20th century office building that nobody else wants due to its condition and location. Depressing, bankrupt city is depressing.
    • Like Like x 2
  32. The Wrong Guy Member

Is the Church of Scientology Moving to Downtown Detroit? | Curbed Detroit

By Paul Beshouri, May 13, 2015

Back in 2007, the Church of Scientology paid $3.5M for a nice piece of downtown real estate: the Standard Federal Savings and Loan building at 1 Griswold, built in. Plans to see it renovated into some sort of metro Detroit Scientology headquarters have been floating around ever since, but the building has remained vacant.

That may soon change. Tonight's Historic District Commission agenda includes a proposal to rehab and "add rooftop structures" to 1 Griswold. Unless the Church of Scientology recently sold the place (which there's no record of), this could be the real deal. At the very least, Detroit remains on the organization's "Upcoming Churches" list.

Source, with open comments:
    http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/...of-scientology-moving-to-downtown-detroit.php
    • Like Like x 2
  33. Quentinanon Member

Lipstick on a pig.
    • Like Like x 1
  34. RightOn Member

oh thank Xenu!
    Now Detriot's crime rate and drug problems are sure to greatly diminish. :confused:
    Start printing out those WTH booklets! Help is on the way!
    Hip Hip Hooray!
    • Like Like x 2
  35. The Wrong Guy Member

Confirmed: Flashy Scientology Center Planned Downtown - Scientology Signage | Curbed Detroit

By Paul Beshouri, May 14, 2015

It's true: The Church of Scientology is working to transform the Standard Savings Building — a neoclassical nugget overlooking Hart Plaza — into the organization's first location in downtown Detroit.

At Wednesday's Historic District Commission (HDC) hearing, a representative from Gensler Architects (they handle Scientology remods nationwide, apparently) revealed grand plans to rehab the vacant building, which — from the outside, at least — represents more of a Scientology-themed bedazzling.

The proposed changes:

1. Swap the rooftop Raymond James sign/stock ticker for a giant SCIENTOLOGY sign
    2. Install a vertical SCIENTOLOGY sign above the exterior clock
    3. Slap a large, vertical cross above the front door
    4. Stack a bunch HVAC equipment on the roof
    5. Roof deck! And a railing, of course

The commission was not happy with the plan for several reasons, mostly rooftop stuff. Between the signage, the tall stack of air conditioners roof deck railing, the design could end up looking (at least from some angles) like an ugly new haircut. For a limestone building sculpted by Detroit's Corrado Parducci in 1930, that's not gonna fly. The plan was tabled until a meeting later this month. Interior plans were also mentioned, including the restoration of floors 1 and 2 to their original appearance. That included restoring a "grand staircase" and a long-lost mezzanine.

Source, and photos:
    http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2015/05/confirmed-flashy-scientology-center-planned-downtown.php
    • Like Like x 2
  36. RightOn Member

gee, I hope they have enough parking space
    BWA HA HA
    • Like Like x 1
  37. The Wrong Guy Member

Report: Scientology Is Creating A Headquarters In Downtown Detroit

By Christy Strawser, CBS Detroit

Detroiters have a reputation for a salt of the earth attitude and working class sensibilities, so where does science fiction-based religion Scientology fit into that?

It’s unclear. But curbed Detroit is reporting the Church of Scientology is working to transform the Standard Savings Building, which overlooks Hart Plaza, into its first location in downtown Detroit.

The location is interesting because Standard Savings sits on the location of the first church in Detroit, which was founded in July, 1701. The Standard Savings building there now at Griswold and West Jefferson was constructed in 1930. The bank moved to Troy in the 1973, and Raymond James later took over offices inside.

The Church of Scientology quietly bought it in 2007, leaving it vacant and remaining silent on any plans for its future.

But this week a plan to replace the Raymond James sign with one for Scientology and make various other changes, including the addition of a roof deck, was presented to the Detroit Historic Commission. It was tabled until a later date.

Why would Scientology want to move into Detroit? The church has locations in 25 states, including two sites already in Michigan. The church is in a new era of worldwide expansion, per its website.

“New Ideal Organizations now regularly open their doors, with many others … on the horizon, as Scientologists rally in support of a global Ideal Churches movement to serve their communities long into the future,” the site says.

Scientology is in the spotlight after HBO’s “Going Clear” became one of its most-watched documentaries of the last decade.

Scientology is strange, viewers discovered, with proponents believing invisible aliens cling to the skin of people holding in negative emotions, and that electromagnetic “audits” can clear past memories of pain.

It’s embraced by some heavyweights, especially in Los Angeles where its tenets are held close by celebrities Kirstie Alley, Tom Cruise and John Travolta.

That’s apparently how it can afford a real estate empire worth an estimated $400 million in Los Angeles alone, per the Hollywood Reporter.

Source, and comments:
    http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2015/05...-creating-a-headquarters-in-downtown-detroit/

Here's the article's author on Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/cstrawser1
    • Like Like x 2
  38. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientology sign proposed atop downtown building

By Joe Guillen and Matt Helms, Detroit Free Press

The Church of Scientology is ready to show a much more visible presence in downtown Detroit.

The church wants to install a giant "Scientology" sign atop the historic Standard Savings Building at the corner of Griswold Street and West Jefferson Avenue, across the street from Hart Plaza.

Plans for the sign and other changes the church wants to make to the eight-and-a-half story neoclassical office building were proposed on Wednesday to the Detroit Historic District Commission, which oversees changes to the city's historic buildings.

The plans, first reported by Curbed Detroit, were not approved at Wednesday's meeting.

"The application was tabled to give the applicant more time to refine their proposal, especially in regards to the rooftop elements," commission chairman Devan Anderson wrote in an e-mail.

A "Raymond James" sign is now on top of the building, an indication of the building's previous owner, Raymond James Financial. The Church of Scientology of Michigan bought the building in 2007 for $3.5 million, according to city of Detroit property assessment records.

Scientology is a religion founded by science fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard, and its adherents include actors Tom Cruise, John Travolta and Kirstie Alley. The organization has been the subject of critical news reporting and an HBO documentary, "Going Clear," that featured interviews with former Scientology insiders who allege abuse and betrayal by church leaders.

Representatives of the church didn't immediately respond to messages seeking comment this afternoon.

The building, built in 1930, is part of the Historic Detroit Financial District.

"Originally built for the Standard Savings Bank, this building stands on a historic site documented by a historical marker as the site of Detroit's founding and the location of the first Ste. Anne's Church in 1701 — the city and Detroit's oldest church both founded by French explorer Antoine Cadillac," according to a Historic District Commission staff report.

Rooftop signs are uncommon in the financial district, the report reads, but a precedent has been set with the existing "Raymond James" sign.

In addition to the new rooftop sign, the church wants to build a vertical sign that also reads "Scientology" above an existing clock on the building's southeast corner.

Gensler, an international design firm, presented the church's plans to the Historic District Commission. Gensler spokeswoman Julie Obiala said she was not permitted to talk about the project and referred questions to the church.

The church's website lists Detroit as one of more than 30 cities internationally where it plans to build or renovate new church facilities. The site doesn't specify the exact location in Detroit.

Source:
    http://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...015/05/14/scientology-sign-downtown/27322693/
    • Like Like x 2
  39. Quentinanon Member

I recall visiting the Detroit Morg during the early 1980's and the location was an old bank building at the southeast corner of Lafayette and Griswold Streets. So, that would NOT be their first location in downtown Detroit. In the basement, they a Purif sauna that smelled like piss, no toilet paper in the bathrooms, and chairs in the public area with springs breaking through that tore holes in your pants.
  40. The Wrong Guy Member

Church of Scientology plans expansion in downtown Detroit | WDIV Detroit

Local 4 News called the national headquarters in Los Angeles and the local office in Farmington Hills and they told us no one was available for comment.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/church-of-scientology-plans-expansion-downtown-detroit/33034782

Church of Scientology seeks Detroit's approval for downtown expansion | WXYZ Detroit

The Church of Scientology plans to expand all over the world, but their plans for Detroit still need the city's blessing.

In the new HBO documentary "Going Clear", the church is examined down to its origins, famous supporters, and critics.

Now, more Detroiters are also taking an interest, after plans for a new Scientology Church at Jefferson and Griswold recently became public.

"It sounds like a good thing for Downtown," says Tobias Pratt, who works in the city.

But others criticized the planned signage and other new rooftop updates in the works for one of the most historic buildings downtown.

The building was bought in 2007 for $3.5 million and the church still needs a go ahead from the Detroit Historic District Commission for updates.

The city will review plans and take up this issue later this month. So far, the church hasn't replied to our request for comment. We'll bring you the latest news as it breaks.

Soiurce:
    http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/det...eeks-detroits-approval-for-downtown-expansion
    • Like Like x 1