Customize

Did Freewinds illegally turn off its AIS tracker?

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by OTBT, Dec 26, 2010.

1. RightOn Member

can we gat a thread merge with the Tracking the Freewinds thread?
  2. Anonymous Member

No, this is a separate thread.
  3. Asheera Member

This seems like a sufficiently separate thread to me also.
  4. Enturbuleak Member

• Like Like x 3
  5. Enturbuleak Member

What I've been waiting for, confirmation that Freewinds is indeed still in Cartagena port right now.

Do9cufW.png

http://instagram.com/p/dTVjIVNxRu/#

Quick check right now on Marine Traffic shows Freewinds still has no AIS signal right now:

qpfohED.png
    • Like Like x 5
  6. The Internet Member

What is the hold up? Is it the loading and hiding of the cocaine or the bribing of the officials?
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Anonymous Member

< cough >

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=AISFAQ#6
    • Like Like x 2
  8. DeathHamster Member

Those are the US rules. Is it possible that Colombia is a bit slacker? Also, is at anchor the same as docked? (I'd think so because ships do go adrift from dock now and then, but I Am Not A Sailor.)
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Enturbuleak Member

I can't find rules for assorted countries, been searching.

In case anyone is wondering why kick up a fuss now about this from left field, it's my Super Power present to DM. I hope Freewinds gets investigated while SP building is having it's grand opening.

Lisa McPherson was the reason for the groundbreaking (distraction) of SP building. I hope a possible investigation into Freewinds shenanigans in Columbia makes DMs tiny fists of fury go into overdrive. OSA better investigate, STAT.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. RightOn Member

yes I know, just a suggestion to keep it all in one place since both threads are " tracking the freewinds"
  11. Scientology is, if you were to ask the cult, under constant security threat. Following this "logic", this would justify any shutting down of the Fuckwinds' signal.

@David Miscavige: I hear that Laurisse fucks you in the ass with a strap-on. Say it ain't so, Davey baby.
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  12. Anonymous Member

You know Miscavige is not a handsome man and he's short, but he has money and power. There are many women who love that and will fuck anything for it, so why the dog faced Laurisse? Seriously looks like a like an ugly old tranny.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. Anonymous Member

Tone 40 2D
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. RightOn Member

maybe she knows too much and he has to keep her where he can see her
    And doesn't trust anyone else to do that job. tin foil alert
    As with anyone close to DM they are always expendable though. Would love her to blow! (leave) lol
  15. Anonymous Member

Does she swallow? Bet Tom Cruise doesn't.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  16. Enturbuleak Member

Freewinds is back in AIS range, still in Cartagena port

dyecYhH.png
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Anonymous Member

2009 ESMB thread from Pooks

Freewinds infiltrating Colombia military and police. DM's future safe haven?

And a reminder from Anonycat

http://www.lisamcpherson.org/colombia.htm

• Like Like x 1
  18. Enturbuleak Member

Extensive explanation of AIS, in plain English:

http://www.thecoastalpassage.com/ais.html

• Like Like x 1
  19. Enturbuleak Member

Example of a legitimate reason for turning off AIS transponder

http://www.exactearth.com/news/18042012/

• Like Like x 1
  20. Enturbuleak Member

Freewinds is out of range again.

Note that there are other ships in Cartagena port that are in range, so this cannot be an AIS broadcast fault on the part of Cartagena.

Either Freewinds left Cartagena (normally Aruba is her next port after Cartagena) or Freewinds has her AIS transponder off. Should know within the next couple days.

FFDSxDc.png
    • Like Like x 2
  21. Anonymous Member

Could they be hiding Shelly?
  22. Enturbuleak Member

23. DeathHamster Member

Pulling into Bonaire this morning, they've been off the charts for over four hours now. The station that picked them up previously seems to be working.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:415694/zoom:10

I can see them turning off the tracker when docked (still illegal), but pulling the plug when they were maneuvering into port at 16.5Kn seems dangerous.
    • Like Like x 1
  24. RightOn Member

I don't know why the authorities do not keep an eye on this barge.
    And of course I don't mean the ones in the Caribbean who are unfortunately in their back pocket.
    • Like Like x 1
  25. DeathHamster Member

On the other hand, we don't watch other ships to see how often they drop off.

Near the last position of the Freewinds, the Moscow Kremlin oil tanker dropped off 45 minutes earlier. Uh-oh?
    • Like Like x 2
  26. thesneakster Member

This entire thread is based upon an extremely naive presumption that display or lack of display of data for a particular AIS beacon on any given monitoring website is directly correlated to whether or not that beacon is actively transmitting. The Wikipedia article about the Automatic Identification System gives a understandable technical overview of what the system is for, how it works and how the data displayed on these various websites is acquired. The short version is there simply is no such direct correlation.

Michael A. Hobson
    Independent Scientologist
    I am *not* a lawyer - also not an AIS technician
  27. RightOn Member

Scientology = "extremely naive presumption"
    • Like Like x 2
  28. anon8109 Member

Have you been diagnosed with Apsergers or autism thesneakster?

Your laser focus on minor details that are tangential would seem to point in that direction.

It's not a bad trait to have if you're a lawyer or a mathematician, but on a public forum people might find it a bit jarring.
  29. DeathHamster Member

It's not naive at all.

While a particular update could be lost due to RFI or packet collisions in spite of slot scheduling, class A beacons update at least every three minutes while docked, much faster while moving. In an hour, that's hundreds of updates. The Bonaire receiver is currently offline, but the area is also covered by ones on Curaçao‎. Lose all updates? Unlikely when other nearby vessels are updating correctly.

The site says that it has a newer position via receiver satellites. That suggests that the transmitter is back on, but the Freewinds is now out of range of the operating land-based receivers.
    • Like Like x 1