Customize

Did medical doctor discriminate against actor Michael Fairman because he left Church of Scientology?

Discussion in 'Independent Scientology' started by Zhongjianren, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Zhongjianren Member

Did a medical doctor discriminate against actor Michael Fairman on the basis of religion because he left the Church of Scientology?

http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2011/07/19/ias-atrocities-part-one-dennis-clark/#comment-136104
    UPDATE:

http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2011/07/19/ias-atrocities-part-one-dennis-clark/#comment-136116
    END UPDATE

California Civil Code § 51

Unruh Civil Rights Act; equal rights; business establishments; violation

(a) This section shall be known, and may be cited, as the Unruh Civil Rights Act.

(b) All persons within the jurisdiction of this state are free and equal, and no matter what their sex, race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, disability, medical condition, marital status, or sexual orientation are entitled to the full and equal accommodations, advantages, facilities, privileges, or services in all business establishments of every kind whatsoever.

(c) This section shall not be construed to confer any right or privilege on a person that is conditioned or limited by law or that is applicable alike to persons of every sex, color, race, religion, ancestry, national origin, disability, medical condition, marital status, or sexual orientation.

(d) Nothing in this section shall be construed to require any construction, alteration, repair, structural or otherwise, or modification of any sort whatsoever, beyond that construction, alteration, repair, or modification that is otherwise required by other provisions of law, to any new or existing establishment, facility, building, improvement, or any other structure, nor shall anything in this section be construed to augment, restrict, or alter in any way the authority of the State Architect to require construction, alteration, repair, or modifications that the State Architect otherwise possesses pursuant to other laws.

(e) For purposes of this section:

(1) “Disability” means any mental or physical disability as defined in Sections 12926 and 12926.1 of the Government Code.

(2) “Medical condition” has the same meaning as defined in subdivision (h) of Section 12926 of the Government Code.

(3) “Religion” includes all aspects of religious belief, observance, and practice.

(4) “Sex” has the same meaning as defined in subdivision (p) of Section 12926 of the Government Code.

(5) “Sex, race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, disability, medical condition, marital status, or sexual orientation” includes a perception that the person has any particular characteristic or characteristics within the listed categories or that the person is associated with a person who has, or is perceived to have, any particular characteristic or characteristics within the listed categories.

(6) “Sexual orientation” has the same meaning as defined in subdivision (q) of Section 12926 of the Government Code.

(f) A violation of the right of any individual under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (Public Law 101-336) shall also constitute a violation of this section.
  2. Smurf Member

Oh, boo-hoo. Michael was declared... he moaned & cried when his The Young and the Restless' co-star Michelle Stafford declared him non-gratis after he told her he quit the cult.. now he's bawwwing because his Scilon doctor says she no longer wants him as a patient. Michael could, of course, file a complaint with the medical board, but I doubt he'd get anywhere.

Lisa & her lying staff of fellow Scilons would only have to claim he was a disruptive, angry patient and they feared for their safety when he was around and asked him to go elsewhere.

Lisa's husband, Glenn, is a so-so screenwriter that gives workshops to aspiring screenwriters. http://www.facebook.com/gbenest

http://www.glennbenest.com/
  3. I'm more concerned about the sheep that follow whatever the doctor says. People have lost medical licenses by starting like that.

Still... I wouldn't mind. It's like the scilons don't want to be around, so they pull in this bad PR to screw themselves up. It's called bad customer service. Unless the Scis have some way to counter that they had a legitimate reason not to treat him they are only losing.

1. One less patient to treat.
    2. Bad publicity about dropping patients for a dumb reason.
    3. Attention drawn to practices... did she ever recommend the Purification rundown? What about Auditing?

All in all... keep pulling it in Scis. Anonymous is enjoying the deliciousness.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Smurf Member

Lisa's appeared on TV hawking her services.

5. Zhongjianren Member

http://markrathbun.wordpress.com/2011/07/19/ias-atrocities-part-one-dennis-clark/#comment-136116
  6. Anonymous Member

Wow,

After checking some of the doctor review sites......seems like Lisa Benest,MD has a bit of a problem with some past patients....several of them giving her only 1 star (out of 5 stars). Did notice that her office does watch that board and attempts to make "reasonable" justifications!!!

Michael Fairman and Joy Graysen might want to file a complaint on the website yelp, Better Business Bureau, etc....... just to let the public know.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/lisa-benest-md-burbank

On Yelp, here are just a few of the complaints about her.........especially lutzy is the one about the crappy scientology brochures in her office!

-
    Studio City, CA

4/30/2010

1 STAR

Maybe this office is OK for plastic surgery but if you have a medical problem or skin cancer, STAY AWAY FROM THIS OFFICE!!!!!

After having a skin cancer, this office told me that they were going to do biopsies on 15 different areas of my body. They did the first 7 and then I got a call that since my insurance has a high deductable I had to pay for everything up front or they would no longer treat me. I couldn't afford to pay up front and I was rudely told to go to a clinic for poor people, How unprofessional.

I called the American Cancer Society in hopes that they could refer me to a compassionate and caring doctor who would treat me. They referred me to Dr. Kay who has been great.

The AMC also told me that no professional doctor would ever do 15 skin biopsies. THEY WERE OUT TO GET MY MONEY!

Run - don't walk - away from this office.
    ===============
    Los Angeles, CA
    1 star
    2/1/2010

I called to make an appointment and the girl told me I had to come for a consult first and that the consult would be $75-$120. I really want to get some things done with the doctor but don't fee like paying $120 extra for no reason. Most doctors offer free consult because you are going to spend a lot of money on the procedures....

=================

Los Angeles
    1 star
    1/25/2011

I was a patient of Dr. Booth who is no longer with the practice. I was able to look past the dreary lobby and strange Dr. Benest Scientology brochures because Dr. Booth was great. Sadly, her new office was too far from my house, so I decided to stay with Dr. Benest's practice and made an appointment with Dr. Benest herself. Before I had a chance to meet her for my annual check-up, I developed a rash on my face. I called the office and they told me there were no appointments for 3-months. I explained it was an urgent issue and the receptionist suggested that I contact another dermatology office. I decided to ride it out and see if the rash would go away...it didn't. Two weeks later, I called back and begged them for an appointment. Once again I was turned away. I have never heard of a doctor not taking urgent appointments. It seems clear to me that Dr. Benest and the doctor's in her practice are more interested in the bottom-line than the care of their patients. It would seem they are more interested in scheduling expensive procedures than really caring for clients who may have less "bill-able" pressing issues. Who needs a doctor who is only there on their timeline? Obviously, I cancelled my annual appointment with Dr. Benest. I wrote a letter expressing my disappointment and never heard a word back from them. Honestly, I don't think they really care about losing a patient.

On a side note, the day I was turned away from Dr. Benest's office for the second time, I made a same-day appointment with an amazing dermatologist in Century City. It's a schlep from my house, but well worth it...Dr. Rosenbach. He's very knowledgeable, uses cutting edge technology, his staff is great and the office is very nice. He' s a top-notch and very well respected doctor in LA.

FOLLOW-UP: In response to Diane's comments below -- believe me, I asked to make an appointment with ANYONE in the office -- I was a desperate, rashed-face woman. I was told there were NO appointments available for 3-months. Also, I don't care who USES the publications, "What is the Way to Health" is a Scientology booklet (written by L. Ron Hubbard). I think it's odd that the doctor distributes these materials, but more important/relevant is the shameful way they treat their patients.
    ==============
    Burbank, CA
    1 star
    7/14/2009

Be aware of the office staff if you plan to go to this office!

I was a first time patient who attempted to schedule an appointment approximately 2 months ago, when I called I was told that the office was busy and asked if I could call back. I was surprised that they did not take my number to call me back. A couple weeks later I called again to schedule an appointment and let them know that I was a new patient.

The Saturday afternoon before my Tuesday appointment I received voice mail from the Dr.'s office with a reminder of my appointment and notified to arrive early as I would have to fill out forms given I was a new patient. I was also told I could save some time if I went to their website to download the new patient forms if I wanted to fill them out ahead of time. I did get the forms from the site and filled them out.

When I arrived for my appointment I with my forms filled out I was told you don't accept Aetna or my PPO. This should have been told to me when I scheduled the appointment. The receptionist made it clear that any services would be out of pocket on my part and I would have to work with my insurance company directly. Had I know this I could have done it AHEAD of time. This was a waste of my time.

I can't speak to the services provided by the doctors, but I can tell you that the office staff needs to be educated on how to do their job, from the woman to I spoke with to make my appointment to the receptionist who abruptly said, "we don't accept this insurance" followed by it would be on me to follow-up with my insurance company on any claims.

The attitude in the office was very poor. The impression they give is that they focus on cosmetic procedures then providing true health care.
  7. Zhongjianren Member

8. RightOn Member

Michael be glad that you will no longer be giving money to someone who "donates" to the cult
    screw em
  9. Triumph Member

Michael will wake up to the fact ..that same discriminatory practice has been happening for decades.
    sometime it takes ...being on the receiving end of that kind of treatment...to realize it

its probably a referral based business...take your money elsewhere..and inform your friends...

I don't think pursuing a discrimination case will get far....but ya never know until you try....
  10. xenubarb Member

Then he should go in with a camera clipped to his hat to record it.
  11. Nick_Nolte Member

I'm sure if most of the people ITT were doctors they'd discriminate against someone if they were a Scientologist.
  12. Triumph Member

adjust your tinfoil
  13. If you were dying I might try to save you too.

I'd rather have you (or any scilon) in my debt.
  14. RightOn Member

welp maybe if I was anunethical doctor.

I would glady take scilon's money away from COS lol