Customize

Discussion with Chris Hedges; bummed me out all day!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeff Jacobsen, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Jeff Jacobsen Member

http://blogs.revolutiontruth.org/20... RevolutionTruthBlogs (RevolutionTruth Blogs)

So these Occupiers decide to do an interview with Chris Hedges, maybe the world's leading authority on revolutions in our time. They did an almost 2 hour phone discussion between him and about 6 Occupiers. You would think that most of that time would be picking the brain of this world expert to see what OWS is doing right and what it could do to be more effective. Oh my child, you would be so wrong.

Hedges gets in about 8 minutes of time. About half of that is toward the end where he laments that the show didn't accomplish much. I completely agree. This was unfortunately an almost useless program because most of it was argument over minute details, sniping at each other, and emphasizing how important each of them was. Hedges amazingly stayed on line the whole time even though he was pretty much ignored.

This bummed me out all day. Is this how OWS will die? Will it just be people arguing with each other over minutia, while ignoring the Big Things right in front of them? I'm worried and sad.
  2. Chipshotz Member

hmmmm may sound like some anons
  3. 00anon00 Member

Thats what's happening now, doubt the whole movement will die, it must change. Right now the people making 2 hour conferencing/interview calls are hopeless pendants.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. So true!

The agents of real change are like those working on the Global Square Network - https://whyweprotest.net/community/threads/ows-new-technology-v-v-article.100261/#post-2062191 - developing work-arounds for the Internet situation in Iran, Syria and other challenges in the Middle East.

The pedants will inevitably become ignored off the battlefield and preferably, out of existence. Remember the stupefying display of social psychosis called WITP? Welcome to the fallout, blowing by.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. 00anon00 Member

The decision to make a 2 hour conference call was bone headed, an interviewer is needed for that, not a group of people with agendas. Interviewers have agendas, its just one so its simpler
  6. Jeff Jacobsen Member

When Anonymous took on Scientology, they had some useful aspects that I think were useful;

1) it has to have an element of fun.
    2) drama is stupid and fenced off whenever possible (such as the dome).
    3) no individual is all that important. It's the group activity that is the goal, not personal gain or recognition.

I don't think OWS is utilizing these ideas, unfortunately. They are trying for #3, but when you listen to this phone conference that forever took away 2 hours of my life, you'll see there is a ways to go yet.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Anonymous Member

Tha'ts effin sad.

^^^^this.

And number three is so important. Egofaggotry has really got the go the way of the dodo for lasting change to happen. Unfortunately, it seems that so many of our structures, even alternative ones are still trying to function on top-down hierarchies as opposed to horizontal communities.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Rockyj Member

Sadly, this is typical. From local Occupy...try to hang in there to 2.49 - 6.06
    Whatever you do don't bring up potholes!

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/20360849
  9. Anonymous Member

fify
  10. Anonymous Member

^^^^^ THIS
    The content is important, not identity.
  11. Anonymous Member

At LSX they thought it would be a good idea to vote on proposals,fair enough.
    The one flaw was a proposal had to have 100% backing before being acted upon.
    Which means fuck all has happened.