Customize

Documentary- OPERATION: CHANOLOGY Screened in LA

Discussion in 'Media' started by CaptainAdderall, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Documentary- OPERATION: CHANOLOGY Screened in LA

The Documentary I've been working on was screened in Los Angeles on December 4, 2009. It got GREAT public support and applause at the end. THANK YOU EVERYONE who helped me with footage.

Here are some stills from the film:

4192048568_508269cc80.jpg

4192048602_73a5d0bbaa.jpg

4192048516_89e03921b8.jpg

4192048466_dd0815626a.jpg

4192048398_fee0cbc1f1.jpg

4192048426_fe9081d0b1.jpg

4192048490_fc2c6e2e79.jpg

4192063912_57e77576f3.jpg

4192063880_b9a434c4ac.jpg

4191301257_f36b74c860.jpg

Here is the online cut (where I removed the credits and was forced to remove a scene showing the OT III story from South Park):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1-j8vJDcy8"]YouTube- OPERATION: CHANOLOGY(Anonymous vs Scientology Film) 2 of 2[/ame]

--------
    There were several Scientologists in the audience. One girl looked like she was torn between being shocked and being confused.

The version that was screened was 20 minutes long, and since the response was more than great... I'm going to expand the film to feature length.

----
    Thanks again to everyone who helped and pitched in.
  2. _You_ Member

Re: Documentary- OPERATION: CHANOLOGY Screened in LA

Nice one captain:0
  3. qwerty1234 Member

bump for general awesome
  4. Ann O'Nymous Member

Nice.
  5. AnonOfStout Member

Win win is win
  6. lokimotion Member

I enjoyed watching this documentary. Captain, I salute you.
  7. _You_ Member

This is very win.

One suggestion: put some shadow behind (or outline around) the text - especially the yellow text - as it can be hard to make out against a bright background sometimes.
  8. uouV Member

This is great. I wouldn't be surprised if this starts playing at local showings.
  9. avbb Member

Awesome1.jpg
  10. Kilia Member

Great job, Capt!! Bravo!!!
    <3
  11. Whorr Member

Awesome. That's all I have to say. Wow.
  12. BlooAnon Member

funny-pictures-little-rabbit-bounce.jpg

This video makes me do a happy dance.
  13. _You_ Member

Nice work, but I think I would have preferred to see more stuff about the cult's abuses, than footage of Scientologists' altercations with protesters - I think too much of that can make the protests look petty, if you're unaware of what we're protesting against. That said, Tory at Saint Hill was especially affecting - and I suppose it is a film about Chanology, there's already plenty of documentaries on Scientology.

/gets his moralfag attitude back to ExScientologyKids.
  14. _You_ Member

i have to say, there were definitely some gold nuggets in there. overall though I think the piece suffered from being WAY too scattered. there's no real structure to the madness. it hops from giving a breif background on the protest movement. identifying random scientologists to using terms normal people dont understand without defining them until after. then showing footage from years before chanology was even around. its confusing.

overall, I think you need to find a better structure to organize these clips into. cover scientology first. then cover the og critics like mark bunker. then cover how chanology came around. then they media/press we got. then how mark bunker helped give anonymous a little guidance. then cover the protests. then cover the scientologists sent to handle the protests. say a bit about each of them. etc.

put it in an order and give it some more structure. this might make sense to you/us because we're in the movement but to the random joe blow, it's pretty scattered.

otherwise, killer job assembling some great footage
  15. Ogsonofgroo Member

Just finished watching the short version, awesome work Captain!

*huge applauses!*

:D
  16. Re: Documentary- OPERATION: CHANOLOGY Screened in LA

Very cool. Nice work.
  17. RightOn Member

I think it will be a powerful vid.

I think Tory's footage was golden. Hope it reaches many

Not sure if there was suppossed to be sound when Davis was talking to Bacca?
    Don't know if other people will understand that segment

Don't know if I would have chosen the electronic voice though, at times it may be hard for people to understand

But great job Capt!
  18. TinyDancer Member

Well done, Ads.

There's some good constructive criticism above about structure.

I especially liked the effect where you named the scientologists - yellow boxes with their names and images with large coloured pixels. Nice.

Tory footage was gold, as was said.

Thanks!
  19. tamphex Member

Capt, let me know if you'd like this screened over here in Sydney. Definitely can make it happen.
  20. Anoniemert Member

Good show Captain, very well done.
  21. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

This movie is gonna be pure awesome win.

I salute you,
  22. _You_ Member

Yeah I watched this last night. My only problem with it was it went silent during the Nathan Baca portion.

Then the part about playing OT3 to tommy. That didnt happen. Whatever, good job none the less.
  23. ParanoidCT Member

yea i dont remember him playing the tape of ot3. but he did have a copy in l rons own writing that he read. also, anonymous electric voice can be hard to understand. subtitles are good. Other then that it was awesome. ive always been into yer vids
  24. xenubarb Member

Yes, the Nathan Baca/Tommy Davis clip had no sound. I immediately blamed my computer.

This is the same way Hubbard hooked people in with Dianetics. It's incomprehensible, but people tend to blame their own reading comprehension skills rather than the writer.

Well, that parallel made me laugh, anyways.
  25. 3rdMan Member

This is fucking awesome!
  26. stuwyatt Member

Well done :)
  27. anonym0us Member

Must say, the yellow and cyan (etc.) text showing up in the middle of the screen are sometimes hard to read, couldn't you maybe have a black line around the letters so they'll be more easily readable? Also subtitles for the anonymous electric voice.

All in all, awesome!
    As in, Captian Awesome! :D
  28. Mutante Member

Point-and-laugh tech works, and it helps people :D
  29. frettchen007 Member

this is a pure awesome vid

my 2 cents:
    1. with the advice for structure in mind, push the length to movie length
    2. send it to Cannes and/or other film contests
    3. ???
    4. Profit
    (5. rename yourself to Captain Awesome)

captainawesome.jpg
  30. FUCK Member

WIN
  31. HellRazor Member

Excellent!
  32. veravendetter Member

great stuff. good all in one sandwich to show to people. the kinda thing i'd show my mom to tell her the score (and i mean that in a good way) excellent. my tommy davis interview was silent too
  33. genoramix Member

As much as i would like to say this is pure awesomeness, i have to agree with this comment. For the OG, for Anons, for exes it's understandable. But put yourself in a position og tje average joe who knows nothing about the chans, anonymous, or scientology, he'll be wtf???
    You don't even explain what "chanology" means.
    So nice edits, cool sequences, but hardly a documentary.

Oh as well : i don't like the texts fonts, it looks cheap, and i think there should be more explanations, and with more explanations the computerized voice could become annoying.

As well, the length is not enough to cover the subject. a 1 hour documentary would do the trick 1) scientology, the abuses, lron, etc 2) short chapter on the OG, bob minton etc.3) the chans, the raids, etc 4) chanology itself.

just my 2cts
  34. Re: Documentary- OPERATION: CHANOLOGY Screened in LA

Looks like a good start.

As some have mentioned, it did jump around a bit and the audio being missing from the Nathan Bacca interview of Tommy Davis was hopefully just on the youtube version, but overall it gets the message across.

I chuckled when I saw some of Clearwater's Epic Starbucks Boy footage featured.

Raised by two OTVIII parents and "educated" in the cult, he's certainly a shining example of scientology's true colors.

Can't wait to see the final, feature length version.
  35. xerobebop Member

Very well made, but for a feature length you're going to need to tweak a bit.
    First off, most people do not want to see Lisa McPherson's corpse without at least a bit of warning. It surprised me, and I've been following this since it hit the boards.
    The computer stock voice is an Anonymous trademark, but it is hard to follow at times. It would be in your best interest as a filmmaker to either brush up the audio in troubled spots (have a friend listen through without a script and point out any location where syllables clash or words distort) or record a narration and run it through some masks.
    Since this is a documentary on Chanology and not necessarily the crimes of Scientology, make a point of the over 9000 protesters and cities involved. Get some interviews from anon in different cities and Old Guard.

Some questions you may want to address/elaborate on:
    Why are we protesting?
    How did Chanology start?
    Who runs Anonymous?
    Why the masks?
    What are our crimes?

All in all, it was a great short. Just try to keep in mind not everyone will know what the fuck we're all about.
  36. Anonynamefag Member

I will OD on Adderall tonight in your honor.
  37. Cheappassion Member

I think this where a companion piece would fit nicely.
    Overall, I thought it was wonderful....I'm running over my folks tonight...See my mom and dad....When I get home tonight....
    'Poons, bitches, 'Poons....
    I'd love to see this go viral....After all the Dome/AO/ AGP nonesense ( not taking sides, mind you)...I speak for myself when I say this, I think we all needed a lil' shot in the arm.

Ok, got to run....Loved the video!
  38. Anon556 Member

Oh man, at 6:45 in the first video, i laughed to hard i fell out of my chair into my dog.
  39. Re: Documentary- OPERATION: CHANOLOGY Screened in LA

Thanks for all the comments and criticism... I'm not sure why the Baca segment was muted... I tested the original file and it plays... same when I uploaded it the first time (which i had to remove because of the south park copyright).