Customize

Draw Muhamed day megathread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anonymous, May 10, 2010.

1. Anonymous Member

Draw Muhamed day megathread

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7ok4njJXI8&playnext_from=TL&videos=HlgCiPgJ9CM&feature=sub]YouTube - Draw Muhammad Day (First Annual!)[/ame]

2. CarterUSP Member

Re: Everybody Draw Muhammad Day: May 20th

I understand wanting to mess with radical fundamentalists, but the problem is that deliberately drawing Muhammad to get at them would offend non radicals too.
  3. Anonymous Member

Draw Muhammed holding a sign saying "Y SO SRS?"
  4. Relyt Member

Just drawing a stick figure with the word "Muhammad" underneath it offends them. They're against any kind of personification of Muhammad, as they believe to focus on what he looked like would take away from the message.

Many Muslims, while offended by such a depiction, do not blow you up nor do they threaten to blow you up because of it. But some Muslims of course fall along the extremist angle and sometimes the only way to deal with them is to show them, in numbers, that you are not afraid of their threats and are willing to stand up for your freedom of expression. Backing down due to their threats = letting the terrorists win, imo.
  5. the anti Member

last night I was talking to a friend of mine (that happens to be islamic) and he was telling me the reason you are not aloud to draw him (and other figures) is because then it becomes idol worship.

I totally understand that, but at the same time I feel a persons artistic expression should NEVER be restricted and should be able to do as you wish without threat
  6. CarterUSP Member

I agree. You never see any depictions of animals or people in most islamic art (except in some iranian, transoxanian and ottoman stuff that I'm aware of). Not sure if it's in the Koran or if it's cultural not to draw anything.
    I wonder if the real radicals get so upset that someone somewhere has drawn a picture of a kitten because they think they might accidentally start worshipping it if they see it?
  7. RedOrbifold Member

why?

That's a genuine question. What have we to fear?
    I understand the purpose of the "don't draw Muhammad" thing, but what right does anyone on the planet have to tell us what we can and can't draw?

so long as your images aren't for the explicit purpose of hate speech (in this case, it's peaceful protest) I'll tolerate it.

and I cordially apoligize to any Muslm users who are offended. If you are, feel free to look the other way.
  8. Anonymous Member

9. Goosh Goosh Member

gtfo you fucking mora[COLOR="Black"]lfag[/COLOR] cunt

you clearly have no concept of what anonymous is if you think we're some gay hugbox for ex-scilons and celebrities

also

256d2f8.jpg
  10. Anonymous Member

muhammed1.JPG
  11. BLiP Member

So free speech except when you deem it to be hate speech . . . or how about free speech except to yell "FIRE" in a crowded theatre . . .
  12. RedOrbifold Member

I'd like to point out that ordinary speech and hate speech are quite different.

general speech: this is muhammad. say hi.

hate speech: muhammad eats dicks

I am aware of the hypocrisy of what I just did, but it's for the purpose of illustrating the validity of a point.

now, I'm not going to be throwing infractions around because someone posts muhammad with a bomb or what goosh goosh just posted, but I will say that I'd rather not have anybody get threatened with violence.
  13. grumpus Member

The freedom to express hate - if one feels hate - is part of the freedom to speak and 100% as important as expressions of love, pain, itchy feet, or whatever the hell else someone wants to say.

Also, to speak of categories of speech as hate/not hate is a false dichotomy and it is full of arbitrariness. Who decides what "hate speech" is? Who can know the motives of someone speaking?
  14. WagTheWog Member

Scroll down for mention of both Mohammed and $cientology
    Mohammed Image Archive
  15. Re: Everybody Draw Muhammad Day: May 20th

Thanks for that link. This is the image I was looking for.
    scientology1.jpg
    A sketch of that would be very relevant to Anonymous interests. Scientology representing and degrading Mohammed. I have only just noticed that Mohammed is placed under Jesus (but further along in the chronology of time).
  16. Goosh Goosh Member

this thread needs moar muhammad fanart

s49h6g.jpg
  17. Re: Everybody Draw Muhammad Day: May 20th

In case anyone needs more reasons to do this: TV | Aftonbladet

This shows Swedish Artist Lars Vilks during a presentation, which among other subjects touched upon the intolerance of gays in Islam and Muslols, hence "Allah Ho Gaybar"

Can you guess what happened during this presentation?
  18. Paroxetine Samurai Moderator

The problem comes down to what one deems "hateful". It doesn't necessarily mean an individual's view.

These Islamic bunch view having a pic of Muhammad disrespectful. This disrespect in the western world is viewed by them as "hate" as they already got the notions in their head we want to kill them all. Granted that is a load of BS and not all Islamic people share that view. The only ones that do believe this BS are hardcore extremists that think that its "My way or the highway" interpretation of Islam.

However, on the other side of the token, this society believes that we have rights and expressions of rights that can be done AS LONG AS they do not interfere with others rights.
  19. Anonymous Member

I principally agree - question is if some comics in this thread not only transport criticism on freedom of speech issues in Islam. If you also hate islam or muslims for whatever reason, have the balls to state so and don't camouflage with calling "I want freedom of speech".

In the country I live in it's forbidden to state "the f* jews invented shoa". according to you that should be allowed? or not, because it's not freedom of opinion / speech but a lie?

a bit more buddhism would be good for you - have a more intergalactic and friendlier view on other live forms, assholes.
  20. adhocrat Member

This X >9000

Free speech is free. The consequences are not.

So you are anonymously calling them assholes for expressing themselves?

See, free speech is free. You are free to express an opinion, and the rest of us are free to mock your opinion.

Mock mock

And free speech makes it much easier to identify the asswipes. They condemn themselves with their words and deeds.
  21. FreakE420 Member

scientology1-2.jpg
  22. WagTheWog Member

23. Anonymous Member

I agree with pretty much all of what's in this thread. It's true that prior restraint is an important issue (under the U.S. Constitution). Imminent danger/fighting words are other issues, although in practice they don't usually justify restraint of speech. Harassment also sometimes (ineffectually) comes up. In any case, hate speech is usually protected and certainly religions have no right to forbid anti-religious speech. I'd just add that aside from the right to draw Muhammad, there are some other things that are worth considering as well.

I'm pro free speech and helped to write the press release condemning Russian censorship a while back. I noticed quite a few Anons took issue with the free speech position in that context--when it protected CoS. In that situation as in this one, I think that the best response to offensive speech is more speech, not less speech (and not violence). Free speech allows and really demands dialogue. Which is pretty much genius, I think.

Everyone Draw Muhammad Day is an expression (and protection) of free speech. It's well suited to Anonymous. It doesn't go far enough, though. It doesn't really open up dialogue, nor is it meant to; it's intentionally incendiary. NOT illegal or "wrong"--I'm just suggesting that "because we can" or even "so we can," while important, is only one part of a thoughtful and proactive free speech position.

As many have pointed out, extremist Muslims advocate jihad "because we can." I wish they wouldn't, though. So while I support the right to draw Muhammad as well as the right to express opinions about jihad, I hope also to see a more thoughtful and proactive engagement of this issue--I hope the two sides don't simply perpetuate polarization, with gauntlets being slapped down on both sides and people stalking off mad to make bombs. It seems to me that at its best free speech engages rather than merely smacking down other viewpoints.
  24. Anonymous Member

Actually, my view is that this is a necessary step to open up dialogue. It's overdue. Protesting in the street is not "dialogue" per se, but hopefully it leads to it, and this is a protest.
  25. Lorelei Member

If I have time, I am going to draw Mohammed cuddling and being nice to adorable kittens, Mohammed enjoying an ice cream cone in the park on a lovely day, Mohammed dancin' and singin' in the rain, Mohammed helping a little old lady on a walker across a busy street, and Mohammed reading to some small children to promote literacy.

Mohammed: A swell guy! Only 10% ghey but 100% groovy!
  26. Anonymous Member

That may well be--I don't disagree with that point.
  27. terryeo2 Member

<3 <3 <3
  28. manly man Member

This boggles my mind... >:{}
  29. Anonymous Member

now how about we change our avatars on the 20th to some nice drawings...
  30. Anonymous Member

Can we change the anonymous avatar now? old avafag is old.
  31. FreakE420 Member

^^^^^^THIS
  32. Anonymous Member

^66^ This. I suggest something from the Olde Days of Golden.
  33. veravendetter Member

i'm fully aware of the background issues, just don't feel like i'm fighting for the right of others to depict mohammed. feels more like watching south park. if i did feel compelled to join the 'fight' on this issue my primary tactic would not be this thread
  34. Rockyj Member

I don't think its about religion...ever heard of free speech?
  35. Anonymous Member

bacony.jpg
  36. Kanonimus Member

^^^ That is the most perfect argument I've seen :drool:
  37. Re: Everybody Draw Muhammad Day: May 20th

ROFLAV

Someone poon Dawkins!!!

I am critical of religion, I am active against damaging aspects of superstition.
  38. RedShieldwolf Member

I'll just leave this here...

Jesus and Mo
  39. Anonymous Member

Let's get the opinion of Pakistan's Shia leader.

Read full article from ABNA.ir: Pakistani Shia Leader on martyrdom anniversary of Hazrat Fatima (as) “Everybody Draw Muhammad Day” biggest terrorism
  40. Anonymous Member

College students publish their opinions.

The Daily Bruin: Cartoonist criticized for creating ‘Everybody Draw Mohammed Day’ should have defended her right to First Amendment

The Daily Bruin: Flawed interpretation of Koran results in overreactions to ‘Everybody Draw Mohammed Day’