Customize

Dutch tax exemption revoked + bonus announcements

Discussion in 'Leaks & Legal' started by Anonymous, Jul 18, 2012.

1. TrevAnon Member

• Like Like x 4
  2. Quentinanon Member

3. Tony Ortega has an explanation by Jonny Jacobsen.

http://tonyortega.org/2015/10/22/a-...o-grow-up-under-the-hubbard-spell/#more-26280

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

Dutch once again find Scientology to be a commercial enterprise

In December, Jonny Jacobsen told us about a reversal for Scientology in the Netherlands, where the country’s supreme court overruled an appeals court, saying that Scientology did not deserve tax exempt status because it was a commercial enterprise.

Here’s what Jonny told us then: “SKA first applied to be considered a public benefit organization (or ANBI) in September 2007. The first court ruling on the bid, in April 2008, rejected the application, and a district court confirmed that ruling in July 2012 before the Haarlem Appeal Court saw things Scientology’s way in October 2013. Friday’s Supreme Court overturns that appeal court ruling and sends it back downstairs for a fresh look. This time around however, it will be the Appeal Court in The Hague that considers the matter.”

And now that appeals court in The Hague has also found that Scientology is a business, charging high rates, and shouldn’t qualify as a church with tax exempt status. This ruling can also be appealed, but it’s not clear if Scientology is going to do so.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *
    • Like Like x 5
  4. TrevAnon Member

Another story in the Volkskrant (well respected left wing paper):

http://www.volkskrant.nl/binnenland...-goed-doel-maar-commercieel-bedrijf~a4168900/

They asked Sigrid Hemel, a professor in tax law, about the verdict. She made two remarks about it:

1. Dutch court compared course prices with prices other companies use, but should have compared them to costs made. COS Amsterdam is likely to have to pay astronomic amounts of money to US COS. Of course Dutch COS will say it is not for profit.

2. One can discuss whether an organisation is for profit or not. E.g. Dutch universities have ANBI-status and operate for a the general profit, however the students go to colleges for their own profit. Hemel says there are not enough guidelines for judges to decide on the issue, so this makes it harder for them.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if Dutch COS again goes to the Dutch Supreme Court.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. The Wrong Guy Member

From our man in Europe: Details on the Dutch denial of tax exemption to Scientology

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, October 24, 2015

Our man in Paris, Jonny Jacobsen, fills us in on some details about this week’s decision by a Dutch appeals court that Scientology should not get tax exemption in that country because of the prices it charges.

Excerpt:

For the court, the fact that Scientology offered its auditing and training at “substantial and fixed rates” was crucial. Tax officials had calculated that the average hourly rate for auditing and training came to 520 euros; 235 euros for the intensives.

That was “significantly higher” than hourly rates applied by commercial education institutes which – if they had set such rates – would be offering the equivalent of the best education by the best teachers in the best locations, said the court.

Given these commercial rates, it could not just be assumed that the public interest was being served as much as private interests, even if it was for a religious purpose, said the court. The auditing and training offered by Scientology in Amsterdam made up more than 50 percent of its activities, which meant its activities were mainly commercial.

Scientology had been unable to demonstrate “that the public interest is at least equally served as private interest”, the court concluded.

Corresponding with Robin de Wever to check details of the story, he gave me some useful background on this affair. “Dutch tax law switched in 2008 from a system in which any organization could sign itself up for these tax breaks (and the Dutch IRS would randomly check a number of organizations) to a system where every organization had to file a request to get such a status.”

He also pointed me to an interesting part of the judgment that I’d missed. In paragraph 8.12 of the ruling, he explained, “the judge notes that course and auditing prices are ’not only meant to cover costs.’ The SKA ‘knowingly strives for surpluses, that are to be used for its own conservation and has reached exploitation surpluses, which has lead to a significant wealth.’

“Plain English: the SKA charges so much that it clearly makes a profit and it has used that profit to amass a ’significant wealth’,” de Wever explained.

More at http://tonyortega.org/2015/10/24/fr...dutch-denial-of-tax-exemption-to-scientology/
    • Like Like x 5

6. The Reverend Robert Tilton has replaced Ecclesiastical Leader David Miscavige creating a new non-profit:
    ScienHooBaBaKandology
    ''We've seen midgets grow.''
    Make a vow of faith now and honor it or Satan's serpents from Hell will engulf you.
    God Bless.

Sow your seed, await your harvest of rice n beans.......
  7. Incredulicide Member

From commenter "ScamofScientology" on the above blog post of Tony:

Rather than getting tax exemption for the years between 2008 and 2015 (valuing 30-40% of perhaps €5-6M), it may now face a fine for a similar amount instead. This is because of the Nabesa Foundation. As some might remember, this is a shell foundation that managed to gain tax exemption in 2008 on behalf of the Church and was used for the Ideal Org donations. The tax free status of this entity was removed in 2012 because the main church didn’t have exemption. At the time, media indicated that the Tax Office would levy back taxes on the amounts they missed out on between 2008 and 2012, amounting to perhaps a third of the €5mil purchasing cost of the Ideal Org building. I very much suspect that the Tax Office never actually levied it, but put it on hold awaiting the outcome of this trial. There has been no confirmation whether this fine is now back on the table, but it may well be.

On top of this uncertain but very punishing back tax, the Church also risks losing its VAT exemption. Churches
    have to charge VAT for their commercial activities after a change in law in 2012. This week’s verdict clearly implies that the Church should charge 21% VAT on most if not all of its turnover, and I am pretty sure it is not currently doing so. Since I suspect there are Chinese Walls between the various tax departments, I've helpfully sent out a note tipping the VAT department. If they force the Church to charge VAT, it will surely hurt their turnover and it could even lead to a second back tax of perhaps another half a million Euro.

And finally, I might as well mention the outstanding application for a building permit to remodel the Amsterdam Ideal Org. This is mostly interesting because there is no update at all. The City of Amsterdam has now been taking close to six months to make a decision (which should only take six weeks) and I don’t think this is good news for the Church. Although I have no factual information, I have good hopes that the delays are due to the so-called Bibob Law, which allows the City of Amsterdam to withhold approval if they find that the Church is criminogenic in nature.
    • Like Like x 4
  8. I'm scamofscientology actually on Tony's. Jonny has half-promised to look into the Nabesa fine and VAT matter later on. Let's hope he will get around to do that!
    • Like Like x 6

9. This is yours:

Misbruik%20ANBI.png

http://www.scamofscientology.nl/hetsysteem.html
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Yes, it's mine. It so happened that I stumbled on those internal communications a couple of years back. At around the same time Peter Schilte announced he would retire scamofscientology. Those two events kinda prompted me to become more active as an activist and take over Peter's site to avoid losing the highest ranked critical site on Google.nl (which I managed to loose after all), and to specialize in lobbying with government agencies to take the Church's violations of law more seriously.
    • Like Like x 6
  11. The Role of the Dutch Government is simply commercial...they follow the money just as Hubbard. It's in their genes. The same here in the DWI. They don't realy care after their colonies they will always put money on the first place.
    Read more: https://mikemcclaughry.wordpress.com/2010/09/27/follow-the-money/

• Like Like x 2
  12. As in Belgium The Dutch must take a closer look to the frauds and to the billions of assets ( castles ,, hotels, celebrity center and other huge buildings this cult possesses and investing in slaves to do the dirty jobs on the ship (as stated in "going clear" documentary).

Translation in English: Scientology claims to is a non-profit organization and do not gain any profit.
    'The fees for training and courses that our members pay are used to maintain the church and spread the religious teachings "
    This is indeed fascinating!!!. Wonder if the judge saw the documentary and investigated the malpractice on that ship ( fraud with immigration stamp, not declaring anything at the customs, etc.), investigate disappearance and maltreatment (throwing overboard even they cannot swim... (Mr. Purves (RIP) in Curacao).
    Wonder if the judge have considered the hundreds of companies involved in these trainings especially in the Netherlands. And what about take a closer look at the Dutch Caribbean money laundering practice to for example to Europe. https://mikemcclaughry.wordpress.com/2010/09/27/follow-the-money/
    --->http://www.cifa-curacao.com/en/curacao-international-financial-center

This case must not be a difficult one to handle and cannot be compared with professional based entities.
    The Dutch can indeed learn a great deal how to handle these crooks and the billions in assets they posses.
  13. Well why did you lot let Aruban State Debt go up to 80 % recently ?

14. 5 buildings max in The Netherlands, although 2 could well be rentals but the one in the Witbout street is owned and the CCHR in Rupchen and maybe the Lafayette school building. Narconon in Zutphen maybe a rental building.

15. Sockofleas Member

Thank you for providing the link to Mike McClaughry's blog, it looks like a great read and that's before I clicked on any of the articles.
  16. We are organizing an effort to propose a U.S. House of Representatives Subcommittee "Religious Review" over the IRS 501(c)(3) violations, "self-dealing", and other human rights violations of three religious sects; a 3fer:

Scientology, FLDS/Warren Jeffs, and Light of the World Church/Iglesia La Luz Del Mundo

While Congressional Reviews are normally only for Federal agencies, a similar investigation was conducted over "the moonies" in the 1970's.

Sam Brower has made remarkable progress in exposing the sins of FLDS/Warren Jeffs' version of Mormons, while Steven Hassan would be a valuable source of information regarding the drafting of our Congressional Request.

Anyone have experience in Congressional Review Request writing?

Scott Ogle
    Attorney

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/law-enforcements-responses-ogle-ogles-replies-scott-ogle?published=u

Mod Edit:
    Scott stop posting commercial links. We don't allow that and we talked about it yesterday. If people want you email/ office link you can ask them to message you and give it out that way.
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  17. TrevAnon Member

This thread is about the Dutch tax exemption. If you have anything useful to say about that you're welcome to do so.

I would think most Dutch Anons fighting COS don't know much about American laws regarding tax exemption. I'd prefer you to post about your quest in your own or some other thread. Here, it's a derail IMHO.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. The tax exemption status both in Europe and the U.S. 501(c) religious exemption enjoyed by COS, FLDS, and LLDM is the key to enforcement. Money, rather than faith, is easily tracked and verified as being "a for profit" organization, as well as "self-dealing", both violations of taxing authorities and grounds for removal.

The three together may have more traction than any one alone. Just a thought.

[IMG]
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • Like Like x 3
  19. http://www.religionnewsblog.com/26918/scientology-objects-to-dutch-tax-authorities-ruling

• Like Like x 3
  20. TrevAnon Member

• Like Like x 2
  21. Confused kitty is confused?
    • Like Like x 3

22. Sowwy
    • Like Like x 1
  23. The Wrong Guy Member

Below are two excerpts from an article published by The Inquisitr.

Scientology Church Balks At Dutch Court’s Nixing Of Tax-Exempt Status, Says ‘Discrimination’

The Computer Science Department & Center for the Neural Basis of Cognition at Carnegie Mellon University describes Scientology as a cult religion steeped in secrecy, saying it is vengeful like a mafia-style organization. Like, many other critics, the school believes Scientologists use tactics of mind manipulation, high-sales pressure and other means of social control.

Some users on Twitter hailed the actions from the Dutch authorities and suggested that the United States should follow suit. It’s unclear if the Internal Revenue Service, which is the governing body in such actions stateside, will pursue a revision to the institution’s tax-exempt status.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2519966/sc...ing-of-tax-exempt-status-says-discrimination/
    • Like Like x 3
  24. RightOn Member

"The Computer Science Department & Center for the Neural Basis of Cognition at Carnegie Mellon University describes Scientology as a cult religion steeped in secrecy, saying it is vengeful like a mafia-style organization. Like, many other critics, the school believes Scientologists use tactics of mind manipulation, high-sales pressure and other means of social control."

Hey USA!
    Are you paying attention?
    tap tap tap..... is there anyone home?
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Quentinanon Member

• Like Like x 1
  26. I've been bitching for four (4) years. Anyone want to help with an I.R.S. Complaint (already 3 have been submitted) and U.S. Congressional Review Request to be presented to every Senator and Representative in the U.S., and Puerto Rico?
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  27. Anonymous Member

Sluggo - NO@0.gif
    • Like Like x 2
  28. The Wrong Guy Member

Hague Court Revokes Tax Exempt Status for Church of Scientology

By Donna Rachel Edmunds, Breitbart

Quote:

The Dutch branch of the Church of Scientology has lost its status as a “public welfare institution” and the tax breaks that go with it after a court in The Hague ruled it is a commercial organisation. According to the ruling, therapeutic courses offered by the church are commercially priced, with a clear aim of making a profit, rendering the organisation ineligible for inclusion on the tax authority’s list of charities.

Scientology teaches that 75 million years ago an evil galactic overlord named Xenu, who ruled over a society remarkably similar to our own, decided to tackle overpopulation by rounding up 13.5 trillion people, flying them to Earth, dropping them in volcanos all over the planet and vapourising them with atom bombs.

Their spirits, known as thetans, attach themselves to humans at birth and must be discarded through therapy sessions (known within Scientology as ‘auditing’) for humans to reach a “clear state”, bringing enlightenment and freedom.

Scientology adherents must work through eight stages of auditing over a period of many years to reach this clear state, each of which costs thousands of Euros to partake in. It was these costs that the court took issue with, ruling that they far outstrip average course fees for educational establishments, according to the NL Times.

The court noted: “If providers on the secular education market had similar prices, prospective students would experience it as prices for top education by top teachers in prime locations.” It also ruled that Scientology consciously seeks profit, and was able to build “substantial wealth” through its pricing structure.

The Church is able to appeal the ruling, although it is not yet clear whether it will. A spokesperson called the judge’s ruling “discrimination based on religious beliefs”.

The Church of Scientology has a long history of going to war with tax authorities in order to maximise profits. In 1993, a four decade long battle with the Internal Revenue Service in America was brought to an end when the government agreed to grant a tax exemption to the Church and more than 150 related corporations, bringing to a halt more than a dozen lawsuits overnight.

Marty Rathbun, president of a Scientology organization at the time told The New York Times “This puts an end to what has been an historic war. It’s like the Palestinians and the Israelis shaking hands.”

During the stand-off, eleven church leaders, including founder L Ron Hubbard’s wife Mary-Sue were jailed for wiretapping an IRA office and other related crimes.

However, that status is once again under scrutiny following the release in March this year of an HBO documentary about the church, titled Going Clear. Following the documentary’s first broadcast, the actress Mia Farrow urged her 640,000 Twitter followers to sign a White House petition calling on the government to revoke the church’s tax free status, tweeting: “#Scientology is a thuggish, dangerous, cruel cult. Sign petition to revoke their tax exempt status. #GoingClear”.

Hubbard was reported to have amassed a personal wealth of $600 million, predominantly through Scientology, before he died in 1986.

Source and comments:
    http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/10/26/hague-court-revokes-tax-exempt-status-church-scientology/
    • Like Like x 5
  29. Quentinanon Member

What? Huh? Did somebody say something? What was that? Is it lunchtime?

heads+sand.jpg
    • Like Like x 2
  30. Night Owl, I'm confused at your interest in solving a problem through proper channels of government. If you recall, you directed me to this thread.
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  31. DeathHamster Member

And after he died, it was all supposed to be transferred back to Scientology.

So how come Scientology told the IRS that they only had $400 million in assets in 1992?
  32. Quentinanon Member

It surprises me that never got out. Didn't Larry/Denise Brennan write about that?
    David Miscavige gave the Feshback brothers a chunk of Hubbard's cash to invest in petroleum futures and stocks and they lost millions.
    That's when Davey got the bright idea to replenish some of the money by cannibalizing the Mission Network. All those out-ethics Mission holders had to turn over their ill-gotten gains or get expelled.
  33. ScottOgle
    This message by ScottOgle has been hidden due to negative ratings. (Show message)
    • Dislike Dislike x 3
  34. anon8109 Member

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34638721

Scientologists in Brussels court on fraud charges

An investigation was launched after an employment agency complained that the church had made fake job offers to recruit new members.
    A conviction could see the Church banned in Belgium.
    • Like Like x 2
  35. DeathHamster Member

Didn't he cannibalize the Mission Network before Hubbard died?
    • Like Like x 2
  36. Quentinanon Member

Yes, but that did not completely make up for the losses. Evidently, Hubbard was either screaming at body thetans or riding the Vistaril wave so he did not catch on to Miscavige's amateurish investment decisions until he ascended to the target 2.
    • Like Like x 1
  37. TrevAnon Member

• Like Like x 4
  38. Was this posted ?

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/10/26/hague-court-revokes-tax-exempt-status-church-scientology/

• Like Like x 3