Customize

Edward Snowden exposes National Security Agency domestic surveillance

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by The Wrong Guy, Jun 5, 2013.

1. The nays have it :(
  2. The Wrong Guy Member

Fugitive Snowden's hopes of leaving Moscow airport dashed | Reuters

Fugitive U.S. spy agency contractor Edward Snowden's hopes of leaving Moscow's Sheremetyevo Airport for the first time in a month on Wednesday were dashed when he failed to secure permission from Russia to leave.

An airport source said Snowden, who is wanted by the United States on espionage charges for revealing details of government intelligence programs, was handed documents by his lawyer that were expected to include a pass to leave the transit area.

But Snowden did not go through passport control, and lawyer Anatoly Kucherena, who is helping him with his request for temporary asylum in Russia until he can reach a country that will shelter him, said the American did not have the pass he needed.

It was not clear whether there had been last-minute political intervention or a hitch, or whether the pass had never been in his possession.

Kucherena said he hoped Snowden's status would be resolved soon. "I must say he is of course anxious about it and I hope that this situation will be resolved in the nearest future," Kucherena said at Sheremetyevo.

"This is the first time Russia is facing such a situation, and this issue of course requires time for the immigration workers."

Continued at
    www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/24/us-russia-snowden-idUSBRE96N0KH20130724
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Anonymous Member

According to the roll call she fucking voted against it.
    http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2013/roll412.xml
    And yes, she will be hearing from me. WTF
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Anonymous Member

5. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 2
  6. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 4
  7. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  8. Anonymous Member

Hi Seth
    I met Denny when he taught at Evergreen. I supported Denny each time he ran. I am disappointed and deeply unhappy about his vote on the Amash amendment (House 100) I want to talk to him about his beliefs on civil rights and on NSA surveillance of Americans. This is important to me. Please schedule a meeting for when he returns to Washington State or a meeting by phone. *******
  9. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  10. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 2
  11. Anonymous Member

12. Anonymous Member

13. Anonymous Member

14. Anonymous Member

15. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  16. The Internet Member

• Like Like x 1
  17. The Wrong Guy Member

Glenn Greenwald@ggreenwald 1h
    SURPRISE: Lawmakers Who Upheld NSA Phone Spying Received Double the Defense Industry Cash

Lawmakers Who Upheld NSA Phone Spying Received Double the Defense Industry Cash | Wired

By David Kravets

The numbers tell the story — in votes and dollars. On Wednesday, the house voted 217 to 205 not to rein in the NSA’s phone-spying dragnet. It turns out that those 217 “no” voters received twice as much campaign financing from the defense and intelligence industry as the 205 “yes” voters.

That’s the upshot of a new analysis by MapLight, a Berkeley-based non-profit that performed the inquiry at WIRED’s request. The investigation shows that defense cash was a better predictor of a member’s vote on the Amash amendment than party affiliation. House members who voted to continue the massive phone-call-metadata spy program, on average, raked in 122 percent more money from defense contractors than those who voted Wednesday to dismantle it.

Overall, political action committees and employees from defense and intelligence firms such as Lockheed Martin, Boeing, United Technologies, Honeywell International, and others ponied up $12.97 million in donations for a two-year period ending December 31, 2012, according to the analysis, which MapLight performed with financing data from OpenSecrets. Lawmakers who voted to continue the NSA dragnet-surveillance program averaged $41,635 from the pot, whereas House members who voted to repeal authority averaged $18,765.

Continued at www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/07/money-nsa-vote/
    • Like Like x 5
  18. Anonymous Member

It's not a surprise that corporations bribe lawmakers. One of the functions of corporations has always been as a cash cow for politicians.

What is a surprise is how cheap the politicians come. I wonder how much that $13M bought in terms of income for those companies? Many multiples, no doubt
  19. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 5
  20. "A Cloud Security Alliance (CSA) survey found that 10% of 207 officials at non-US companies have canceled contracts with US service providers following the revelation of the NSA spy program last month. The alliance, a non-profit organization with over 48,000 individual members, said the survey also found that 56% of non-US respondents are now hesitant to work with any US-based cloud service providers."

http://mobile.pcadvisor.co.uk/opinion/security/3460902/the-nsa-damages-us-tech-biz-overseas/
  21. Anonymous Member

http://sunlightfoundation.com/blog/2013/07/25/obama-promises-disappear-from-web/
    Obama is trying to scrub the internet of his broken promises.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. DeathHamster Member

23. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  24. The Wrong Guy Member

Kim Dotcom@KimDotcom 1h
    Video: Here's what I told a few thousand people about overreaching spy laws & Edward #Snowden today.

Kim Dotcom Speaks at the Stop the GCSB Rally in Auckland

Protest marches against GCSB bill across NZ | NZ Herald News

Kim Dotcom's recognisable figure looms head and shoulders above a crowd of several thousand people gathered in Auckland's Aotea Square this afternoon to protest extensions to the powers of the Government's spy agency.

Protests were held in 11 towns and cities around the country today.

Continued at www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10904220
    • Like Like x 1
  25. Anonymous Member

26. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 3

27. Stop the GCSB Rally in Auckland

Part 1

Part 2
  28. Anonymous Member

George Orwell,1984
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Stop The GCSB Meeting Full) with Kim Dotcom! 25July2013

30. The Wrong Guy Member

Trevor Timm@trevortimm 12h
    Google engineer wins NSA award, uses platform to rip the agency for violating everyone's 4th Amendment rights:
    www.lightbluetouchpaper.org/2013/07/19/nsa-award-for-best-scientific-cybersecurity-paper/

NSA Award for Best Scientific Cybersecurity Paper

By Joseph Bonneau, July 19th, 2013

Quoted minus the first paragraph:

On a personal note, I’d be remiss not to mention my conflicted feelings about winning the award given what we know about the NSA’s widespread collection of private communications and what remains unknown about oversight over the agency’s operations. Like many in the community of cryptographers and security engineers, I’m sad that we haven’t better informed the public about the inherent dangers and questionable utility of mass surveillance. And like many American citizens I’m ashamed we’ve let our politicians sneak the country down this path.

In accepting the award I don’t condone the NSA’s surveillance. Simply put, I don’t think a free society is compatible with an organisation like the NSA in its current form. Yet I’m glad I got the rare opportunity to visit with the NSA and I’m grateful for my hosts’ genuine hospitality. A large group of engineers turned up to hear my presentation, asked sharp questions, understood and cared about the privacy implications of studying password data. It affirmed my feeling that America’s core problems are in Washington and not in Fort Meade. Our focus must remain on winning the public debate around surveillance and developing privacy-enhancing technology. But I hope that this award program, established to increase engagement with academic researchers, can be a small but positive step.

Article and open comments:
    www.lightbluetouchpaper.org/2013/07/19/nsa-award-for-best-scientific-cybersecurity-paper/
    • Like Like x 4
  31. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 3