Customize

Edward Snowden exposes National Security Agency domestic surveillance

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by The Wrong Guy, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Rockyj Member

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013...urce=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&dlvrit=992637

WTF is with all these leaks & investigations?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. The leaks are performed by the last real patriots inside government.
    The investigations are to silence and gag them.

Just ask Sibel Edmonds.
  3. Rockyj Member

opps

Attached Files:

4. Anonymous Member

^^^ Correct Thread?
  5. Rockyj Member

LMAO opps its that LSD!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Well... stretching it, perhaps; but, Sibel Edmonds did spend a lot of time in Turkey and speaks fluent Turkish.

I liked the post ;)
  7. We know you won't be joining the Sea Org any time soon :)
  8. Anonymous Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/07/prism-spying-denials_n_3405467.html?ref=topbar
    PRISM Spying Denials From Tech Companies Baffle Security Experts

• Like Like x 2
  9. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  10. A.O.T.F Member

Either Zuckerberg & co are lying or just plain naive - I somehow very much doubt the latter.
  11. The Wrong Guy Member

JΞSTΞR™ @th3j35t3r 20m
    Another Eg: Anonymous 'NSA leak': http://goo.gl/f2Eah the 5th doc down is publicly available here: http://goo.gl/fH8E3 #prism #liars
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Andy Downs Member

This is a continuation of efforts that were started by J Edgar Hoover. There were at one time illegal (when Hoover was ignoring them and being able to blackmail his way into no oversight of the FBI for years or have any review of the FBI budget in those days) and now they have been "legal." I found it interesting that Sen. Udall wanted to publicly debate this subject in the congress because he disagreed with it, however he was prohibited from doing so because it was classified.
    So what has happened is we are now in a situation where the elected officials can't inform the American people about a breech of our civil rights.
    In other words the Intelligence agencies have figured out ways to make their own laws and completely turn the idea of a representative government into a joke more than corporations have been able to do...and I didn't think that was possible.
  13. Andy Downs Member

The WTF answer is all about the powers that be and those who enjoy unchecked power are afraid the party could end as it did when the Church-Pike Senate Hearings took place in the early 70's. It turned out the party never ended it just went down the hall into a soundproof room where the rave continued until so many people started finding the new location it had to expand.
    And starting a new hang out to break the laws is a tough thing to do when you consider all the cars in the parking lot, the kids coming in with all those damn glow sticks wanting to kiss and group everyone they see while risking hearing impairment and the reduction in brain cells than can only leave you qualified to run for pubic office.
    Another way of saying this is "Goddamn elections, FOIA ,activists and our friends who just had to sell computers to all those damn kids...which reminds me we need another check from Zuckerberg for re-election"
  14. A.O.T.F Member

15. You make a valid point; however,I don't know that it holds up as an argument in favor of big government.

A larger government supports more employees, obviously, and so needs to find ways to propagate its existence for its own sake, and not because the people really need it. I mean, do the people of the US really need DHS/TSA? FEMA? NSA? CIA? DIA? The Pentagon?

In favor of smaller governments, I'd like to point out that the debt owed to China, for instance, is owed by the Federal government, and not by the individual states of the US. If the central government tanked tomorrow, individual states governing themselves wouldn't have this huge debt hanging over them, not to mention the "National Debt" (owed to whom?).
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  16. Methinks he doth protest a little too much:

Why are the press reports, from known journalistic sources, "outrageous"?
    The embellishment was unnecessary.

Also, he runs a known data mining service. All it would have taken for him to roll over and acquiesce to government demands for backdoor access to FB is for them to ask, "Do you consider yourself a patriotic American?" There is only one possible answer to that question which would allow one to continue to breathe free air. Same for all the other companies.

IOW, nigga pleez.
  17. It's totally possible.
    Sorry for quoting myself, just didn't feel like re-wording it :)
  18. Anonymous Member

Larry Page, Google CEO, and David Drummond, Google's General Counsel, said yesterday:

What the ...?

Dear Google users—

You may be aware of press reports alleging that Internet companies have joined a secret U.S. government program called PRISM to give the National Security Agency direct access to our servers. As Google’s CEO and Chief Legal Officer, we wanted you to have the facts.

First, we have not joined any program that would give the U.S. government—or any other government—direct access to our servers. Indeed, the U.S. government does not have direct access or a “back door” to the information stored in our data centers. We had not heard of a program called PRISM until yesterday.

Second, we provide user data to governments only in accordance with the law. Our legal team reviews each and every request, and frequently pushes back when requests are overly broad or don’t follow the correct process. Press reports that suggest that Google is providing open-ended access to our users’ data are false, period. Until this week’s reports, we had never heard of the broad type of order that Verizon received—an order that appears to have required them to hand over millions of users’ call records. We were very surprised to learn that such broad orders exist. Any suggestion that Google is disclosing information about our users’ Internet activity on such a scale is completely false.

Finally, this episode confirms what we have long believed—there needs to be a more transparent approach. Google has worked hard, within the confines of the current laws, to be open about the data requests we receive. We post this information on our Transparency Report whenever possible. We were the first company to do this. And, of course, we understand that the U.S. and other governments need to take action to protect their citizens’ safety—including sometimes by using surveillance. But the level of secrecy around the current legal procedures undermines the freedoms we all cherish.

Posted by Larry Page, CEO and David Drummond, Chief Legal Officer

At http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2013/06/what.html
    • Like Like x 3
  19. Anyone have a link to the actual PowerPoint file?
  20. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 3
  21. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 2
  22. themadhair Member

I’ve a speculation here, and wonder what you guys think.

Do remember back to when, thanks to the HBGary debacle, we learned that Glenn Greenwald was the DoJ’s list of people supporting Wikileaks? Do you remember, prior to this, about the DoD’s plan to sabotage Wikileaks by destroying their centre of trust?

Is it possible that some of the plans drawn up for Wikileaks are now being used on other journalists…? If you are conducting outrageous acts then it is only a matter of time before someone leaks the goods. It is an inevitability. So, is it possible, the DoJ and the DoD fabricated this PRISM document for release at a time when a real like occurred (such as the FISA court order Greenwald revealed)? That way, when the fake document is exposed, the damage from the real is, at least, somewhat mitigated..?

Not really convinced this is how it went down, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

</tinfoil>
    • Like Like x 2
  23. A.O.T.F Member

What We Don't Know About Spying on Citizens: Scarier Than What We Know
    The NSA's surveillance of cell-phone calls show how badly we need to protect the whistle-blowers who provide transparency and accountability.

The U.S. government is on a secrecy binge. And we learn, again and again, that our government regularly classifies things not because they need to be secret, but because their release would be embarrassing.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics...on-citizens-scarier-than-what-we-know/276607/

PRISM's Legal Basis: How We Got Here, and What We Can Do to Get Back

Foreign intelligence is the exception that has swallowed the Fourth Amendment whole.

http://www.theatlantic.com/national...t-here-and-what-we-can-do-to-get-back/276667/
    • Like Like x 3
  24. bott Member

Prism is the new Carnivore
  25. A.O.T.F Member

Yeah .. I May be wrong here,but I do vaguely remember Barrett talking about a similar set of circumstances.? I'll need to confirm that.

I'm sure that the guys at AP would agree that you may have hit that nail most squarely on the head
  26. A.O.T.F Member

• Like Like x 1
  27. Anonymous Member

This was widely reported. Greenwald himself wrote about it (and you can get the powerpoint presentation Palantir made) and the DoD doc in question is still available from Wikileaks.
    • Like Like x 2
  28. A.O.T.F Member

Thanks Anon, greatly appreciated .. Just couldn't pinpoint it.
  29. Anonymous Member

No silly. I'll let this guy explain it. Maybe he'll make sense to you
  30. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 5
  31. nevarmore Member

32. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 4
  33. Anonymous Member

34. Anonymous Member

Bump for comedy in this un-funny topic. "Click opt-out and a van will arrive within minutes"
  35. Anonymous Member

36. Anonymous Member

So the "Donate anonymously" option when you donate to WWP is a myth.
    paypal-spy.zip PayPal Spying Guide February 25, 2010 (932KB)
  37. Kilia Member

You have a problem with Jester?
    • Like Like x 2
  38. Kilia Member

• Like Like x 2