Customize

Edward Snowden exposes National Security Agency domestic surveillance

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by The Wrong Guy, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Andy Downs Member

The problem with all these agencies is that they have people getting bonuses from corporations to go to work for them. Companies are paying executives 7 figure bonuses if they can find a key position with a government agency. Bill Moyers did a segment on this in the last few weeks on PBS.
    My point is there is no government vs corporation....the government is not only doing business with corporations, but they are now run by the corporate executives. It's not that the line is blurred, the line no longer exists. The larger the company or government, the easier it is to hide this stuff.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Anonymous Member

Well, he hates us from everything I've read.
  3. Anonymous Member

In my experience, which includes personal PM exchanges, he has no respect for any of the anon lunatic fringe. Neither do I.
  4. Anonymous Member

Interesting. Not sure where he draws the line and hadn't seen that qualification before.
    Thanks.
  5. Horseradish Member

6. Anonymous Member

Obama announces a investigation into the leakers (but not the people who have COMPLETELY FUCKED our civil rights)
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 2
  8. Kilia Member

True
    ...he has a massive ego that gets some people riled up including me. I have him on my Twitter and on one occasion late at night, he put up a song video and then said something cryptic as a lead in. Since I didn't understand the connection between his cryptic and the video, I asked him a question about it. He flew off the handle and in a round about way said that I was very dense. I apologized and then said, "I'm done!"

Later I got a few tweets from other people who were monitoring him and they said they didn't understand it either. I deleted my tweets to him and later he deleted his. lol. I'm almost positive he drinks late at night and that's what makes his tweets really dumb then.

Anyways..yes, because of his huge ego, he feels he is in competition with Anonymous and makes no bones about it. Sometimes I also think he takes credit for "TANGO DOWN" 's that don't really belong to him.
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Rockyj Member

WTF is a Patriot?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Anonymous Member

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/06/us-tech-giants-nsa-data
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Anonymous Member

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/06/us-tech-giants-nsa-data
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 2
  13. Anonymous Member

It's like rooting for your favorite football team only more so, and you know how rational football fans are...
    • Like Like x 2
  14. A.O.T.F Member

Hmmmmm!

photosym.jpg
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Yep. Got a problem with my problem?
  16. No problem. BTW, I'm also "Nonesuch" LMAO
    Then again, I have like infinity sockses.
  17. [IMG]
  18. Well, his momma was CIA, so what would you expect?
  19. Horseradish Member

Yes.
    I do wonder whether LRH watched The Prisoner while in the UK.
  20. Anonymous Member

We got it here in the US around 1968.
  21. Anonymous Member

Of course he did. He had a lot of free time.
  22. Rockyj Member

650x350-2012-team-photo.jpg

OMG your right the New England Patriots! Thanks...I actually thought it was Americans who think they are more PATRIOTIC, because they think they uphold the constitution more, though it was written years ago by some DEIST men who would never have imagined the type of weaponry and technology we have today.
  23. fix'd ;)
  24. Andy Downs Member

A better one that I ask people in law enforcement, and it drives them nuts, is "Define terrorist"
  25. Andy Downs Member

I always ask law enforcement if you can't define it, how do you arrest it?
  26. Anonymous Member

I bet they have a good laugh at that.
  27. Andy Downs Member

Yeah....they laugh and laugh and laugh and then go write me up in some report for my file that keeps getting bigger by the minute
  28. Andy Downs Member

Since the NSA and FBI now have a copy of this in their records I would like to invite them over to my house today for a stool sample to be stored with all the other records they keep on me. I hope they hurry, they have my address and phone number, I ate big this morning so please hurry
    • Like Like x 1
  29. Anonymous Member

Here's a familiar name ... "Palantir Technologies."

Anybody remember that one?

"When American analysts hunting terrorists sought new ways to comb through the troves of phone records, e-mails and other data piling up as digital communications exploded over the past decade, they turned to Silicon Valley computer experts who had developed complex equations to thwart Russian mobsters intent on credit card fraud.

" The partnership between the intelligence community and Palantir Technologies, a Palo Alto, Calif., company founded by a group of inventors from PayPal, is just one of many that the National Security Agency and other agencies have forged as they have rushed to unlock the secrets of “Big Data.” "

At http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/09/us/revelations-give-look-at-spy-agencys-wider-reach.html?hp&_r=0
  30. Anonymous Member

The leaked PRISM PowerPoint file looks very much like the amateurishly designed PPt file that HBGary / Palantir / Berico / Hunton & Williams created in 2011 to pitch Bank of America and the US Chamber of Commerce. I thought Palantir fired that kid. :)
    • Like Like x 2
  31. The Internet Member

I admit I don't have an answer to the data privacy problem. We might somehow stop the NSA from doing whatever it is doing, but that won't stop other groups from doing pretty much the same thing.

The effort to spy is driven by the need to know what political, business, or personal adversaries are doing so you can get the upper hand. Better spies will monitor target activity across more borders and data sets than others. This reality should drive the formation of large surveillance cartels and franchises. And these companies should eat each other over time due to certain economies of scale --the same economic variables that gave us the big box stores.

If we could, somehow, reduce the value of surveillance information, we might stop the self-assembling panopticon before it's too late. If we focus only on the NSA version of it, we will probably miss the boat.
    • Like Like x 1
  32. Andy Downs Member

I had a lecture in Dallas last year where I was the Keynote speaker to a group of Hostage Negotiators. I spoke on 58November and the mistakes that the FBI made and continue to make to this day.
    Before the lecture FBI agents came and were "very happy to see me." When I finished not one of them would look me in the eye. When I would walk down the hall outside the ballroom, the agents would see me coming and they would walk the other way.
    I had one agent come up to me after I spoke to the stage and tell me "Don;t you think you are just being inflammatory where the FBI is concerned?" I told him, "I am sorry it hurt your feelings but that was a picture of my father's corpse I just showed you..." The agent didn't know what to say and walked off.
  33. Anonymous Member

Not sure I buy this reasoning. The NSA, due to being part of the gov, has a special status that was instrumental in allowing it the access needed to pull the dragnet spying off.

What other groups, not part of the US gov, could even begin to attempt this without such special status? Without a court order or gov backing Verizon would simply tell them to fuck off. What then?
  34. Andy Downs Member

Those are fair points. Privacy is a myth now.
    The airlines do a more thorough job of data mining than the TSA for passengers. So when someone gets to the airport the airlines knows more about the risk factor of a passenger than the TSA.
    It does bother me that the 4th Amendment is now dead.
  35. Anonymous Member

You miss an important factor, namely the economic cost of collecting information. Private companies have strict limits set on their data collecting attempts due to their lack of capital. They can only invest so much before they lose profitability.

The government operates under no such constraints and can just tax us more or inflate more, both actions being destructive of good society. So, again, as long as the government controls the taxes and the printing press, then their cost of collecting data becomes a negative externality, that is they profit and other people pay the price.

Governments can impose negative externalities at a whim, while a private company is constrained to an extent by the laws that the government doesn't have to obey.

SO, I don't worry about private data collecting (I am not on Facebook, for instance and never will be) because I can opt out and take my business elsewhere. But government data collecting has no effective laws governing it since the ones who make the laws are the very ones enforcing the law.
  36. The Internet Member

Scientology?
    • Like Like x 1
  37. The Internet Member

My-name-is-Inigo-Montoya.-You-killed-my-father.-Prepare-to-die..jpg

My heart goes out to you Andy. But yeah, you are probably not the best person to fix procedural issues within the FBI, due to the fact the fuckers contributed to the death of your dad.

FBI agents are human beings like the rest of us. They need self esteem cookies and pats on the back along with manageable amounts of constructive criticism. Too much medicine without any sugar to help it go down will result in helplessness and defensiveness.
    • Like Like x 2
  38. Anonymous Member

There's corporate intelligence work (subject to ethics policies) and then there's corporate espionage (obviously, not subject to any ethics).
  39. The Internet Member

Here's the thing with digital information: it only takes one person to get the data illegally, once.
    • Like Like x 3
  40. Anonymous Member

TPM-CGYoda.JPG
    There is no once.
    • Like Like x 1