Customize

Edward Snowden exposes National Security Agency domestic surveillance

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by The Wrong Guy, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Anonymous Member

I missed where Scientology was ever able, or could ever be able, to ask a company like Verizon to hand over all their customer's call information....
  2. The Internet Member

Lol, "ask."
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Horseradish Member

• Like Like x 3
  4. Anonymous Member

5. Anonymous Member

6. The Wrong Guy Member

Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind revelations of NSA surveillance

The 29-year-old source behind the biggest intelligence leak in the NSA's history explains his motives, his uncertain future and why he never intended on hiding in the shadows

By Glenn Greenwald, Ewen MacAskill and Laura Poitras in Hong Kong

Q&A with NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden: 'I do not expect to see home again'

Link to video: NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden: 'I don't want to live in a society that does these sort of things'

www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/09/edward-snowden-nsa-whistleblower-surveillance
    • Like Like x 5
  7. Anonymous Member

8. Anonymous Member

In closing, I'll just leave this here ...

Some of you will remember this slide. It's from a PowerPoint deck drafted by Palantir Technologies, Inc. in 2011 in preparation for the HBGary Federal / Palantir / Berico / Hunton & Williams pitch to the US Chamber of Commerce and Bank of America to discredit and discourage investigative journalists who are supportive of wikileaks. It seemed that the particular journalist these groups wished most to discredit was (wait for it) ... Glenn Greenwald, the reporter who last Thursday leaked the NSA PRISM story in The Guardian.

Small world, eh?

HBGary_Greenwald.jpg
  9. Horseradish Member

10. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 3
  11. Boris Korczak Member

Get PeerBlock to secure some of your staff. It cost nothing and works to certain degree.
    http://download.cnet.com/3028-10435...dlcom_sem&aid=peerblock-p&dlc=n&part=fivemill
    P2P will be of main use since it blocks the gov spying on you.
    Stay safe.
    BK

• Like Like x 4
  12. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 3

13. Calling all Hong Kong Anons - Can you help him?
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. Anonymous Member

You sound like a fucking Scientologist.
  15. Andy Downs Member

He is the interesting part about what has become my lecturing career....I never approached one agency or organization. They keep calling me.
    The former FBI agents are generally big supporters of mine. I even have their endorsements on my website. State and local negotiators are huge supporters.
    The Dallas event where I was shunned by FBI agents is the same event I was approached by 3 other negotiation association to come and speak.
    Tactical groups want no part of my message. The negotiators love me. That is also indicative of the culture in law enforcement today. The guys who want to use brains before bullets are the least funded, least utilized, and least wanted. There are cops and FBI negotiators that if they had the power and rank could have prevented every high profile screw up you can think of where guns go crazy and common sense out the door.
    However the tactical guys win almost every time.
    My family's case Downs vs USA 522 F.d2 990 is the case that forced the FBI to start the first hostage negotiation teams. My dad's case has been written about in text books for years. But none of them knew any facts about the case.

It took almost 2 years of speaking to law enforcement and universities until the FBI actually invited me to speak in Nashville. It was such a big deal that Associated Press covered it.

There are huge divides in law enforcement about tactics vs negotiations just like there are huge divides in the intelligence community about the NSA dragnet.
    It is a culture where if you speak up, you become a target, then your career is finished. I have talked to a lot of FBI and police that have told me if they speak up about a policy or something they feel is truly wrong, they are screwed. That is the culture that has to change, but I don;t know how.
    All that being said, the active FBI agents can't stand me and some are very open about their feelings.
  16. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  17. sallysock Member

• Like Like x 2
  18. Andy Downs Member

One thing that has not been addressed is the fact that the FBI gets data via NSA effectively ends the attorney client privilege. That privilege has been attacked via the National Security Letters, Rendition, GITMO, etc etc, This could be one of the issues that can be challenged in court, if a case is ever allowed in court.
  19. Andy Downs Member

20. Anonymous Member

Scientology cases get cited a fair amount because Scientology attorneys are very busy little bees. They don't call it a "highly litigious cult" for nothing.

Scientology is like welfare for the legal profession.
  21. Anonymous Member

22. The Wrong Guy Member

Fox News: Give the NSA whistleblower the death penalty | Examiner.com

Excerpt:

While the feelings may vary, one analyst has taken his anger too far. During a broadcast of "Fox and Friends," Fox News analyst Ralph Peters said the death penalty should be on the table for Edwards Snowden.

“Now you've got this 29-year-old high school dropout whistleblower making foreign policy for our country, our security policy...It’s sad, Brian. We've made treason cool. Betraying your country is kind of a fashion statement. He wants to be the national security Kim Kardashian. He cites Bradley Manning as a hero...I mean, we need to get very, very serious about treason. And oh by the way, for treason, as in the case of Bradley Manning or Edwards Snowden, you bring back the death penalty.”

www.examiner.com/article/fox-news-give-the-nsa-whistleblower-the-death-penalty
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Boris Korczak Member

• Like Like x 3
  24. Boris Korczak Member

We don't need to be admired - we need to be respected. Are we?
    Stay safe.
    BK

• Like Like x 2
  25. Anonymous Member

Funny. I thought prior to 2001, Americans were known for losing the Vietnam War, obesity, and their poor educational systems.
  26. Y como hacemos para detener este espionaje?
  27. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  28. The Wrong Guy Member

Julian Assange praises Edward Snowden as a hero | The Guardian

Whistleblower will go down in history for exposing 'formulation of a mass surveillance state', says WikiLeaks founder

Last paragraph:

Assange called on supportive countries to "line up" and offer support to Snowden. "It will be really telling to see which countries really protect human rights, the privacy of the public, asylum rights, or which countries are scared of the United States or are in bed with this surveillance complex."

www.guardian.co.uk/media/2013/jun/10/julian-assange-praises-edward-snowden
    • Like Like x 2
  29. A.O.T.F Member

30. Anonymous Member

http://www.juancole.com/2013/06/corporations-amendment-fundamentalists.html
  31. Anonymous Member

32. Rockyj Member

Because of this:
    And this:

Hypocritical of the GOP to support no back ground checks for gun owners but support the Government collecting your E-mails and phone records when you're not suspected of committing a crime.
    • Like Like x 4
  33. Anonymous Member

Wouldn't it be funny if the US built this huge infrastructure to monitor everyone's digital life and no bad guys ever got caught using this information?

I want to hear about all the money going to dodgy off shore banks, all the public officials taking bribes from crooked contractors, all the alternative medicine scams, all the conspiracies and the white collar crime disrupted, thanks to NSA surveillance information.

I want to see the bang for my tax dollar buck.

I see Dr. Oz selling homeopathy on TV. That's an Oprah empire scam. Surely anyone with back door access to the Oprah empire financial transactions could figure out why our government hasn't had the will or the ability to shut down this type of thing.

tl;dr: Another strategy to fight NSA domestic spying: demand to see how the information has helped law enforcement.

We also need to know how many wild goose chases were launched thanks to indiscriminate monitoring. A fuck ton, I'm guessing. But it's probably going to be easier to get information about the "hits" rather than the "misses."
    • Like Like x 1
  34. The Wrong Guy Member

Reporter in U.S. surveillance case says more revelations to come

U.S. reported to be filing charges against leaker Edward Snowden

The Associated Press

Greenwald said Tuesday that there will be more "significant revelations" to come from the documents. "We are going to have a lot more significant revelations that have not yet been heard over the next several weeks and months."

www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/06/11/us-surveillance-programs-prism-snowden.html
    • Like Like x 1
  35. DeathHamster Member

I wouldn't call that decrypting. The program fishes in memory and hibernation files for the keys. (i.e. they aren't breaking the lock, they're looking under the door mat for the spare key.)
    • Like Like x 1
  36. Andy Downs Member

Yo say
  37. Anonymous Member

Is the tail wagging the dog?
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...rfield-ge/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS
    note: looks like it was a transformer explosion coincidental to the bomb threat at the capital

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-bomb-threat-lax-austin-20130611,0,3095207.story

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/06/11/princeton-bomb-threat/2411359/
  38. Andy Downs Member

• Like Like x 1
  39. Anonymous Member

40. Rockyj Member