Customize

Edward Snowden exposes National Security Agency domestic surveillance

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by The Wrong Guy, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Anonymous Member

duh fag you can watch daily show at the .ca addy
  2. Anonymous Member

ok now I can watch it via twitter

find a twat on your own
  3. laughingsock Member

I still can't watch it, wtf every thing i try doesn't work.
  4. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. laughingsock Member

Thanks anon, that did it.
  6. Anonymous Member

anon delivers
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 3
  8. muldrake Member

Imagine there's no right to privacy. And in fact, there is no constitutionally guaranteed right to privacy in the actual explicit text of the Constitution, although the Supreme Court has kind of magicked up one out of what it called "penumbras and emanations," i.e. basically that the Constitution suggests a right to privacy even if it doesn't explicitly contain it.

Edward Snowden was in no particularly privileged or lofty position. He was basically a data janitor. His methods were cruder than even Kevin Mitnick's, and as even he describes them, often amounted to nothing more than walking up to people and saying "gimme ya password ya mook!"

And yet, he walked out of there with the keys to the kingdom.

As informative as this trove of information has been, imagine everything the NSA has. Imagine this trove of information in the hands of identity thieves, the nation's enemies, for that matter, even terrorists. The NSA has carefully amassed all this crap, and has utterly failed to safeguard it. It is frankly bad enough bad apples like the NSA have all this. Imagine that instead of a Snowden, an actual terrorist is getting all this information.

Simply collecting data like this, to vast excess without any objective benefit from doing it, represents a national security danger.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Anonymous Member

Your tax dollars at work, destroying your rights in the name of protecting them.

Nice work if you can get it.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. muldrake Member

Part of my point is some people don't even believe there is such a thing as a right to privacy. Personally, I do, whether or not it is actually in the Constitution. I think that's a basic human right. But some people don't.

However, even if there isn't, there are entirely pragmatic, non-rights-based reasons that what the NSA is doing is just simply a bad idea, won't work, and actually makes us less safe. It has caused incalculable damage to our tech industry, just for starters. THAT is a national security issue itself.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Anonymous Member

I don't think the Fourth Amendment would be much of a stretch. "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated ..."

The Constitution doesn't give or guarantee any rights. It only recognizes some inherently existing rights in order to curb the limited government powers that the Constitution doles out. (Some of the opposition to the Bill of Rights was fear that it might cause precisely this kind of confusion.)

The functionaries who think that the government has absolute control over anything not nailed down in the Constitution have obviously not read it carefully and have never heard of the Age of Enlightenment.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  13. The Wrong Guy Member

‘Snowden is a very private person’ – Washington Post journalist to RT

Edward Snowden has sparked a global debate on mass spying, but he is actually a “private person" who does not seek much attention, journalist Barton Gellman told RT.

Snowden told Gellman that the notion of having a “suicide switch” of leaks is illogical.

Gellman, a Washington Post journalist and author of Pulitzer Prize-winning reports, became the first reporter to interview Snowden since the former NSA contractor was granted temporary asylum in Russia.

Snowden - who talked with Gellman for some 14 hours in two days - explained the reasons behind his whistleblowing, but did not speak very much about his private life.

However, Gellman shared his own impressions of Snowden’s personality with RT America, offering a rare insight into the current state of mind of the “most wanted man on Earth,” who Gellman says spends much of his time on the internet.

The journalist also revealed the precautions he had to take before meeting with Snowden, and discussed the “dead man’s switch” that the whistleblower has been accused of possessing.

Continued here: http://rt.com/news/snowden-private-person-interview-797/
    • Like Like x 1
  14. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  15. Rockyj Member

Me worried about Snowden's health! He looks skinner & more pale.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. commisiar Member

• Like Like x 1
  17. The Wrong Guy Member

Glenn Greenwald@ggreenwald 13m
    So great to be around the privacy & transparency activists at #30c3 - so inspiring. Makes all the attacks irrelevant. Thanks for having me.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Quentinanon Member

And thanks also to Big Pharma, the Bundesamt für Verfassungsschutz, and the Markabian Fleet for their invaluable assistance.
  19. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  20. The Wrong Guy Member

Greenwald Mocks ‘Brave’ Reporters Condemning Snowden But Biting Their Tongues About NSA | Mediaite

“You will be hard-pressed to find even a single one of those brave, intrepid journalists ever even think about, let alone express the idea, that director of national intelligence James Clapper ought to be subject to the rule of law.”

The article and video clip are here:
    http://www.mediaite.com/online/gree...g-snowden-but-biting-their-tongues-about-nsa/
    • Like Like x 2
  21. The Wrong Guy Member

Whistleblower Edward Snowden is tech person of year | USA Today

By John Shinal

In the wake of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, the American people, through their elected representatives in Washington, chose to exchange a significant amount of freedom for safety.

But until a lone information-technology contractor named Edward Snowden leaked a trove of National Security Agency documents to the media this summer, we didn't know just how much we'd surrendered.

Now that we do, our nation can have a healthy debate -- out in the open, as a democracy should debate -- about how good a bargain we got in that exchange.

For facilitating that debate, at great risk to his own personal liberty, Snowden is this column's technology person of the year for 2013.

Continued here:
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...-figure-of-the-year-new-tech-economy/4213953/
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Anonymous Member

This is bogus why should we have to be monitored by the goverment
  23. lol you new?
  24. The Wrong Guy Member

TAO: the NSA's hacker plumber-wunderkinds | Boing Boing

A new Snowden leak disclosed in Der Spiegel details the operations of the NSA's Tailored Access Operations group (TAO), the "plumbers" of the spy agency who collect and deploy exploits to infiltrate computer systems. Reportedly, Edward Snowden turned down a chance join the group.

TAO's repertoire of attacks included unpublished exploits and back-doors for products from major US IT companies like Microsoft and Cisco, as well as foreign companies like Huawei. Spiegel reports that TAO infiltrated networks in 89 countries, including "the protected networks of democratically elected leaders of countries." They took special interest in Mexico's anti-terror efforts, running an operation called WHITETAMALE that compromised the Mexican Secretariat of Public Security.

The tactics deployed by TAO relied upon other NSA programs, like the infamous XKeyscore, which was used to passively intercept crash reports from computers running Windows in order to profile these systems and tailor attacks aimed at them. TAO also compromised the Blackberry's BES email servers, and were able to read mail sent and received by Blackberry users.

One interesting wrinkle: TAO used interception of ecommerce shipping reports to discover when a target ordered new computer equipment. These shipments would be intercepted and loaded with malware before delivery. I know an ex-MI5 whistleblower who only buys computers by walking into a store at random and plucking them off the shelf, to prevent this sort of attack. When I learned about this practice, it sounded a little paranoid to me, but it seems that it's actually a very reasonable precaution.

Continued here:
    http://boingboing.net/2013/12/29/tao-the-nsas-hacker-plumber.html

Inside TAO: The NSA's Shadow Network | Spiegel Online

The insert method and other variants of QUANTUM are closely linked to a shadow network operated by the NSA alongside the Internet, with its own, well-hidden infrastructure comprised of "covert" routers and servers. It appears the NSA also incorporates routers and servers from non-NSA networks into its covert network by infecting these networks with "implants" that then allow the government hackers to control the computers remotely. (Click here to read a related article on the NSA's "implants".)

In this way, the intelligence service seeks to identify and track its targets based on their digital footprints. These identifiers could include certain email addresses or website cookies set on a person's computer. Of course, a cookie doesn't automatically identify a person, but it can if it includes additional information like an email address. In that case, a cookie becomes something like the web equivalent of a fingerprint.

Continued here:
    http://www.spiegel.de/international...ort-to-spy-on-global-networks-a-940969-3.html
    • Like Like x 2
  25. Anonymous Member

Thank you TWG
    • Like Like x 2
  26. Disambiguation Global Moderator

27. TheFearless Member

This is just sick, i knew that washington where pussy's, but with this they made a whole new defenition to Pussy's.

"We demand those records, but pssssst, please dont let anyone know that we are the ones who want them"

Do they still got a mirror left in they'r houses? I think the shame took most of them.

Pathetic!
  28. laughingsock Member

29. Masca Member

30. laughingsock Member

This article makes no mention of permission. Only breaches of the back door kind.
  31. DeathHamster Member

https://whyweprotest.net/community/threads/check-your-smart-phone-app-permissions.115703/

For the NSA, I think they'd want to use an exploit to elevate the app's permissions without it being visible to a casual user. Hiding it from a debug trace as it rummages around in your phone would be harder.
  32. Masca Member

You're quick off the mark DeathHamster, I'll give it a more thorough read myself. :)
  33. laughingsock Member

34. DeathHamster Member

No. They'd need some an exploit that would let them do that.
  35. laughingsock Member

Thanks, rereading now. Truthfully I'm a bit dyslexic.
  36. TheFearless Member

I've got the same problem, am using android, and al of the sudden my SD card got damaged, after deleting everything, i found out nothing was damaged, and everything is still on the card.
    Looks to me like a breach.
  37. The Wrong Guy Member

French telecom operator Orange threatens to sue NSA over cable tapping | RT News

France’s largest telecom group, Orange, has threatened to sue the NSA over hacking the underwater cable that it jointly owns with 15 other companies, French media reported in the wake of the latest Snowden revelation.

In response to the recent report published by Germany’s Der Spiegel, Orange said it was not aware of any intrusion or unlawful actions of this kind.

"We will take legal action in the next few days because we want to know more about the eventuality that Orange data may have been intercepted," an Orange spokeswoman said as cited by Reuters. She added that Orange had had no role whatsoever in the spying.

Orange has reiterated that the privacy of correspondence and negotiations can be broken only by special court order, and that the conditions and reasons for such action should be clearly defined in French law, the statement said, according to L’Express.

"Piracy to intercept data is not possible directly through the system of Orange, and such intrusion has not been previously reported," the company said in a statement, as quoted by Le Figaro.

The company now plans to take action in civil court.

Continued here: http://www.rt.com/news/france-orange-sue-nsa-991/
    • Like Like x 1
  38. If you really want to know whats going on,actually watch this.

39. Anonymous Member

Thanks! I've been waiting and wondering when the Epic 30C presentations would show up.

Appelbaum, FTW!