Customize

Edward Snowden exposes National Security Agency domestic surveillance

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by The Wrong Guy, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Disambiguation Global Moderator

2014-0142.zip Edward Snowden 30-Minute Video 13-0126 (EN) January 27, 2014 (82MB)
    • Like Like x 3
  2. A.O.T.F Member

OHH' You beautiful baby you! :D ;)
  3. DeathHamster Member

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/27/leaking_smartphone_apps_nsa_gchq/
    I think I'd be more concerned that advertisers were collecting that data in the first place.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. A.O.T.F Member

5. DeathHamster Member

Come to think of it, even with full access to everything on my phone, what would the advertisers look at that would tell them my political affiliation and sexual orientation?

It's not like my phone's browser history has any conservative goat sex hookup sites in it.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. A.O.T.F Member

So, The Terrorists are playing Angry Birds, now .. Must be a slow week over at NSA & GCHQ.
    WHO ARE THESE FUCKING IDIOTS?????????
    • Like Like x 1
  7. A.O.T.F Member

LOLOLOLOL :p
  8. muldrake Member

The more that comes out, the more obvious it is none of this has a damn thing to do with terrorism. I already more or less felt this way, but it underscores nearly anyone who utters the word "terrorism" basically means "please look over there instead of at the crimes I'm committing."
    • Like Like x 4
  9. fishypants Moderator

• Like Like x 2
  10. A.O.T.F Member

11. No Ruler Member

this has been obvious for a decade, since they passed the Patriot Act.
    Terrorism is the ultimate as a non falsifiable justification for whatever the government wants to do. It gives cover for all manner of faggotry, perpetrated by our government, but paid for from our--the people's--blood, toil, tears and sweat.
    • Like Like x 7
  12. rof Member

http://www.independent.co.uk/studen...r-its-role-in-modfunded-research-9088512.html

I knew it was those meddling mod kids all along!

KPI7pn1.png
    • Like Like x 1
  13. A.O.T.F Member

A smart Anon would make damn fucking sure,that the data of innocent people caught up in it all,will be respected and protected.
  14. A.O.T.F Member

15. The Wrong Guy Member

[Watch] Rare Snowden Interview Blocked By US & German Media Outlets

This interview with Edward Snowden was blocked from US & German television networks. No major news outlets are covering this story. The video is immediately taken down every time it’s posted on Youtube.

http://buzzready.tv/2014/01/watch-rare-snowden-interview-blocked-by-us-german-media-outlets/

Edward Snowden video interview removed from YouTube

www.tweaktown.com/news/35179/edward-snowden-video-interview-removed-from-youtube/
    • Like Like x 5
  16. Kilia Member

Who in the hell is 'ARD' ??
  17. Kilia Member

Love ya! :)
    • Like Like x 2
  18. rof Member

• Like Like x 2
  19. muldrake Member

But who is Bart, and why should he be reminded repeatedly in German of the existence of the definite article?

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
    • Like Like x 3
  20. fishypants Moderator

• Like Like x 2
  21. A.O.T.F Member

David Cameron: TV crime dramas prove we need mass warrantless electronic surveillance

Cory Doctorow at 10:15 pm Thu, Jan 30, 2014

UK Conservative Prime Minister David Cameron says that ISPs and phone companies should be required to store records of every click you make, every conversation you have, and every place you physically move through. He says that communications companies should be required to make it impossible to keep your communications from being eavesdropped in, with mandatory back-doors.

He says we need this law because "TV crime dramas illustrated the value of monitoring mobile data."

Remember the Snooper's Charter, the 2012 UK Conservative plan to require ISPs and phone companies to retain the records of all your calls and movements, and make them available to police and government without a warrant? Home Secretary Theresa May proposed an unlimited budget to pay ISPs to help spy on you, and called people who opposed this "conspiracy theorists" and said the only people who need freedom from total, continuous surveillance were "criminals, terrorists and pedophiles."

The Snooper's Charter was killed by a rebellion from Libdem MPs, who rejected the plan. Now it's back, just as the public are starting to have a debate about electronic spying thanks to NSA whistle-blower Edward Snowden, who revealed the extent to which our online habits are already illegally surveilled by government spies. Let's hope that the Snowden revelations -- and the US government's admission that mass spying never caught a terrorist or foiled a terrorism attempt -- strangles this Cameron brainchild in its cradle.

Source - http://boingboing.net/2014/01/30/david-cameron-tv-crime-dramas.html#more-284169

I'm not going to waste my breath on this fucking idiot.
    • Like Like x 2
  22. The Wrong Guy Member

Future of the internet could depend on Lavabit appeal

http://rt.com/usa/lavabit-appeal-oral-arguments-426/
    • Like Like x 4
  23. Quentinanon Member

Arbeitsgemeinschaft der öffentlich-rechtlichen Rundfunkanstalten der Bundesrepublik Deutschland
    Working community of open law broadcast institutions of the Federal Republic of Germany.
    • Like Like x 1
  24. rof Member

lol war on Putin of the west.
  25. Quentinanon Member

• Like Like x 3
  26. Horseradish Member

Whistleblowers in the digital era.
    A short vid from Open Rights Group.

Open Rights Group is just about to advertise for its first ever legal director.
    The aim is to have someone on staff who can litigate in favour of digital rights, intervene in significant court cases etc..
    See more here:
    https://www.openrightsgroup.org/join/help-hire-orgs-legal-director
    You can help to make this job full-time by becoming a supporter.

Cory Doctorow's Open Rights Group blog post about why impact litigation is important:
    https://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2014/open-rights-group-and-impact-litigation
    • Like Like x 3
  27. Quentinanon Member

Great interview. Snowden is very articulate.
    • Like Like x 5
  28. DeathHamster Member

It's as bad as deciphering the grain of truth in a Scientologist's dung-heap of lies.
    Target is the weasel-word. Target means that they were specifically looking for someone on their list. If they vacuum up all the wifi at an airport in Canada, and 90% of the interceptions were Canadians and it all goes into a database, that's okay because they weren't targeted--'cause that would be illegal.
    • Like Like x 6
  29. Horseradish Member

DH, the more of this shit from the powers that be that I read, the more I'm reading weasel words.

If they say "at home or abroad in our foreign intelligence activities", I'm now minded to interpret that as 'we have other activities that are not foreign intelligence activities'. And "it's prohibited by law" does not mean 'we don't do it'.
    • Like Like x 4
  30. DeathHamster Member

Tracking is another favourite intelligence weasel-word. Tracking means actively following a particular person. Sure they don't track citizens. However, if they passively slurp up vast amounts of data, software can put the pieces together, construct a trail and it amounts to the same thing in the end.
    • Like Like x 2
  31. A.O.T.F Member

Footage released of Guardian editors destroying Snowden hard drives

GCHQ technicians watched as journalists took angle grinders and drills to computers after weeks of tense negotiations

New video footage has been released for the first time of the moment Guardian editors destroyed computers used to store top-secret documents leaked by the NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden.

Under the watchful gaze of two technicians from the British government spy agency GCHQ, the journalists took angle-grinders and drills to the internal components, rendering them useless and the information on them obliterated.

The bizarre episode in the basement of the Guardian's London HQ was the climax of Downing Street's fraught interactions with the Guardian in the wake of Snowden's leak – the biggest in the history of western intelligence. The details are revealed in a new book – The Snowden Files: The Inside Story of the World's Most Wanted Man – by the Guardian correspondent Luke Harding.

The book, published next week, describes how the Guardian took the decision to destroy its own Macbooks after the government explicitly threatened the paper with an injunction.

In two tense meetings last June and July the cabinet secretary, Jeremy Heywood, explicitly warned the Guardian's editor, Alan Rusbridger, to return the Snowden documents.

Continued - http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...sed-guardian-editors-snowden-hard-drives-gchq

• Like Like x 1
  32. A.O.T.F Member

We now trust no one with our data – not even our doctors

The Edward Snowden revelations could prove bad for our health, thwarting a vital NHS scheme to gather clinical information

If you thought someone snooping around your emails and listening to your phone calls was bad, imagine them looking at your medical records.

The private realm may be ever-shrinking – in an age when we reveal so much of ourselves online and when we know the eavesdroppers of the NSA and GCHQ are never far away – but if there's one thing we'd want to keep behind high walls, it's surely the intimate histories of our mental and physical health.

So there can be little surprise that privacy campaigners are recoiling at the expansion of NHS England's data collection, which from this spring will take in information from the place where most people experience the NHS: their GP's surgery.

Until now, the NHS in England kept the stats from hospital visits but not from those day-to-day encounters with your local doctor. As 26.5m leaflets pop through letterboxes, explaining the new "care.data" project, groups such as medConfidential.org are urging patients to opt out in the name of basic privacy.

One survey found that up to 40% of GPs plan to keep their own personal records out of the scheme. My first, unreflective instinct would be to stay out too – and others will surely feel the same way. Indeed, the appeal of that stance says much about the times we live in, both online and in the physical world.

Continued - http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/31/nhs-medical-data-trust-doctors-edward-snowden

• Like Like x 1
  33. A.O.T.F Member

How Edward Snowden went from loyal NSA contractor to whistleblower

He was politically conservative, a gun owner, a geek – and the man behind the biggest intelligence leak in history. In this exclusive extract from his new book, Luke Harding looks at Edward Snowden's journey from patriot to America's most wanted.

Edward-Snowden-001.jpg

In late December 2001, someone calling themselves TheTrueHOOHA had a question. He was an 18-year-old American male with impressive IT skills and a sharp intelligence. His real identity was unknown. Everyone who posted on Ars Technica, a popular technology website, did so anonymously.

TheTrueHOOHA wanted to set up his own web server. It was a Saturday morning, a little after 11am. He posted: "It's my first time. Be gentle. Here's my dilemma: I want to be my own host. What do I need?"
    Soon, regular users were piling in with helpful suggestions.

TheTrueHOOHA replied: "Ah, the vast treasury of geek knowledge that is Ars." He would become a prolific contributor; over the next eight years, he authored nearly 800 comments. He described himself variously as "unemployed", a failed soldier, a "systems editor", and someone who had US State Department security clearance.

His home was on the east coast of America in the state of Maryland, near Washington DC. But by his mid-20s he was already an international man of mystery. He popped up in Europe – in Geneva, London, Ireland, Italy and Bosnia.

He travelled to India. Despite having no degree, he knew an astonishing amount about computers. His politics appeared staunchly Republican. He believed strongly in personal liberty, defending, for example, Australians who farmed cannabis plants.

Continued - http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/01/edward-snowden-intelligence-leak-nsa-contractor-extract
    • Like Like x 1
  34. The Wrong Guy Member

Facebook, Google, Yahoo reveal details of NSA surveillance | Fox News

The Internet’s biggest companies have released a sliver of new information on the government’s national security requests, a small bit of fresh data about the widespread surveillance that has shaken the public’s belief in online privacy.

A compromise brokered last week between the Justice Department and Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, Facebook, and LinkedIn allowed those companies to at last release some information about the number of requests for information the government served through Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) courts. Before the deal, the law stipulated that surveillance agencies could demand users’ personal information and bar a company from even discussing the request.

Continued here:
    http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/02/03/facebook-google-yahoo-reveal-details-nsa-surveillance/
    • Like Like x 1
  35. fishypants Moderator

36. fify