Customize

Edward Snowden exposes National Security Agency domestic surveillance

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by The Wrong Guy, Jun 5, 2013.

1. You stupid thick twat
  2. Anonymous Member

An interesting exchange from Cryptome: http://cryptome.org/2015/01/snowden-nsa-pay-for-silence.htm

6 January 2015. A2 sends:

I was reading the latest article, and I have spotted a factual error: "He hasn't designed any hardware, written any commercial-grade software, developed any unique algorithms or integrated complex systems on his own"
    "A" may be unaware of the Vanity Fair article showing that Snowden did indeed design and integrate complex systems.

"In Japan, Snowden worked at the Yokota Air Base, outside Tokyo, where he instructed top officials and military officers on how to defend their networks from Chinese hackers. There he also designed a highly sophisticated data backup system called EPICSHELTER. It used an advanced technology to place a shield around every N.S.A. site in the world, ensuring that the N.S.A. would be able to recover information from any of its locations, even if that site were completely destroyed in the event of war or another calamity."

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/2014/05/edward-snowden-politics-interview#

5 January 2015

Snowden's and NSA's High Salaries for Silence?

A sends:

One aspect of the Snowden story that hasn't received much attention is the outrageous salary that Edward Snowden was receiving. I find that as equally disturbing as the numerous illegal and serious violations of privacy committed by the NSA.

Edward Snowden was reported to be making $170,000 per year when he defected. Considering that his education was a handful of computer science classes from a community college and perhaps several government classes where he was spoon fed information, he seems far less qualified than a lot of people in the IT field, many of whom are unemployed or making an average salary. Contrary to some reports, I see no evidence that Edward Snowden is a genius. He hasn't designed any hardware, written any commercial-grade software, developed any unique algorithms or integrated complex systems on his own. He appears to have been just a low-level support guy earning 3 or 4 times the salary paid to other IT professionals, some of whom have advanced degrees, multiple certifications and decades of experience and additional education.

Now, if Edward Snowden was getting paid such an enormous salary, it seems reasonable to assume that there are many other people in the intelligence community getting paid such enormous salaries too. So why is such a huge sum of money being paid to these people who are violating our privacy and breaking the law with impunity, arrogance and such disdain for the rights of the average American they're supposed to be serving? Are they getting paid astronomical sums of money to keep their mouths shut and not report the outrageous violations of law committed by their bosses and their peers? That's the only reason I can see for the unbelievable sums of money thrown at employees like Edward Snowden, who appears relatively ignorant and unqualified compared to the average technician or sys admin making $45,000 per year. It seems that the NSA breaks the law and then keeps everybody quiet by rewarding them with vast sums of our money.

This is the second outrageous aspect of the entire NSA mass surveillance story which hasn't been adequately addressed. An overhaul of the overly generous salaries paid to under-qualified personnel at the NSA is long overdue. There shouldn't be anyone at the NSA making a six-figure salary. Congress should have corrected that mistake the first week after Snowden defected.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. The Wrong Guy Member

Lavabit founder wants to make “dark” e-mail secure by default | Ars Technica

Drop-in SMTP and IMAP replacements will wrap messages in layers of encryption.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/01/lavabit-founder-wants-to-make-dark-e-mail-secure-by-default/
    • Like Like x 4
  4. Anonymous Member

Exclusive: Edward Snowden on Cyber Warfare

By James Bamford and Tim De Chant onThu, 08 Jan 2015

Cyber warfare used to be the stuff of sci-fi movies and military exercises. But with the advent of the Stuxnet worm, the Sony Pictures hacking—which was allegedly carried out with the backing of the North Korean government—and this week’s assault on German government websites, large-scale cyber attacks with suspected ties to nation states are growing increasingly prevalent.

Few people have lifted the veil on cyber warfare like Edward Snowden, a former NSA contractor who leaked a massive number of documents to the press.

Last June, journalist James Bamford, who is working with NOVA on a new film about cyber warfare that will air in 2015, sat down with Snowden in a Moscow hotel room for a lengthy interview. In it, Snowden sheds light on the surprising frequency with which cyber attacks occur, their potential for destruction, and what, exactly, he believes is at stake as governments and rogue elements rush to exploit weaknesses found on the internet, one of the most complex systems ever built by humans. The following is an unedited transcript of their conversation.

Highlights from Edward Snowden's interview with NOVA:

The transcript text of the interview follows the highlights video.

It's a very lengthy transcript so I recommend a visit to the site to read it.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/military/snowden-transcript/
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Disambiguation Global Moderator

One of the reasons I love WWP is you find stuff I can't. Thank you this is fascinating
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Anonymous Member

If you mean the Bamford/Snowden Interview, yes, I also find the unedited text transcript to be fascinating. I am keen to view the event on PBS Nova when it arrives.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. A.O.T.F Member

sagOZFhG_normal.jpeg Jake Davis @DoubleJake · 19h 19 hours ago
    FBI seeks to legally hack you if you're connected through Tor/VPN http://yro.slashdot.org/story/15/01/20/1540241/fbi-seeks-to-legally-hack-you-if-youre-connected-to-tor-or-a-vpn …

SonicSpike writes

The investigative arm of the Department of Justice is attempting to short-circuit the legal checks of the Fourth Amendment by requesting a change in the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure. These procedural rules dictate how law enforcement agencies must conduct criminal prosecutions, from investigation to trial. Any deviations from the rules can have serious consequences, including dismissal of a case. The specific rule the FBI is targeting outlines the terms for obtaining a search warrant. It's called Federal Rule 41(b), and the requested change would allow law enforcement to obtain a warrant to search electronic data without providing any specific details as long as the target computer location has been hidden through a technical tool like Tor or a virtual private network. It would also allow nonspecific search warrants where computers have been intentionally damaged (such as through botnets, but also through common malware and viruses) and are in five or more separate federal judicial districts. Furthermore, the provision would allow investigators to seize electronically stored information regardless of whether that information is stored inside or outside the court's jurisdiction.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/15/01...y-hack-you-if-youre-connected-to-tor-or-a-vpn

The FBI can take Federal Rule 41(b) and shove it right up their fucking ASS! If they start messing with Tor, they will have a HUGE fucking WAR on their hands.

Fucking IDIOTS!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. The Wrong Guy Member

FBI Flouts Obama Directive to Limit Gag Orders on National Security Letters | The Intercept

Despite the post-Snowden spotlight on mass surveillance, the intelligence community’s easiest end-run around the Fourth Amendment since 2001 has been something called a National Security Letter.

FBI agents can demand that an Internet service provider, telephone company, or financial institution turn over its records on any number of people — without any judicial review whatsoever — simply by writing a letter that says the information is needed for national security purposes. The FBI at one point was cranking out over 50,000 such letters a year; by the latest count, it still issues about 60 a day.

The letters look like this:

Continued here:
    https://firstlook.org/theintercept/...e-limit-gag-orders-national-security-letters/
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Disambiguation Global Moderator

• Like Like x 2
  10. A.O.T.F Member

And here they ( NSA and Britain's GCHQ) are STEALING! and committing acts of piracy and sabotage against millions. Whilst people like Barrett Brown, Jeremy Hammond, ETC, have been locked up for allegedly doing the exact same thing!

WHAT?! Are these motherfuckers now purporting themselves to be above the LAW!?

I can only just imagine how many extremely pissed off people there will be, in Anonymous over these revelations. ... For some I guess, it will be fucking OPEN SEASON on the NSA & GCHQ!

And what is good enough for the goose is most definitely good enough for the gander, Huh!

And who in their right mind would argue against that!

They're nothing more than evil fucking SCUM!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. BrainStorm Member

They think they own our ass...
  12. A.O.T.F Member

• Like Like x 1
  13. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  14. A.O.T.F Member

There is not one single person I know, who owns a cellphone. None of us do. And collectively,we haven't used them for fucking years. Solid advice handed down to, and implemented by Biella.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Anonymous Member

Bravo! And interesting!

I have never owned a cell phone and plan to never own one, not ever!

I stopped watching TV many years ago. It felt good yanking that cable out, bundling it up and taking to the recycle services.
    • Like Like x 3
  16. A.O.T.F Member

And as a matter of fact, none of us use Twitter at all. Well, we all have accounts .. But they were registered long ago. loath to use them, really.
  17. White Tara Global Moderator

Ok Imma gonna put a little admin message up here just now:)

The mod staff have been discussing how megathreading retards searches, and we determined that perhaps its in the best interest of wwp for a new thread to be created when a new turn is taken in the Snowden saga. This change would actually apply to all megathreads. Thoughts anyone?
  18. The Wrong Guy Member

Okay, I've moved three of my latest posts into a new thread, here:

Edward Snowden and National Security Agency surveillance 2015

https://whyweprotest.net/threads/ed...nal-security-agency-surveillance-2015.123683/
    • Like Like x 1
  19. -1 OR 2+957-957-1=0+0+0+1 --
  20. -1 OR 2+831-831-1=0+0+0+1
  21. -1' OR 2+82-82-1=0+0+0+1 --
  22. -1' OR 2+260-260-1=0+0+0+1 or 'EziYSVht'='
  23. (select convert(int,CHAR(65)))
  24. -1" OR 2+503-503-1=0+0+0+1 --
  25. if(now()=sysdate(),sleep(9.834),0)/*'XOR(if(now()=sysdate(),sleep(9.834),0))OR'"XOR(if(now()=sysdate(),sleep(9.834),0))OR"*/
  26. (select(0)from(select(sleep(9.834)))v)/*'+(select(0)from(select(sleep(9.834)))v)+'"+(select(0)from(select(sleep(9.834)))v)+"*/
  27. -1; waitfor delay '0:0:3.278' --
  28. -1); waitfor delay '0:0:6.556' --
  29. -1)); waitfor delay '0:0:9.834' --
  30. 1 waitfor delay '0:0:9.834' --
  31. (select convert(int,CHAR(65)))
  32. PrFUZDo4'; waitfor delay '0:0:6.556' --
  33. 5agKxhOc'); waitfor delay '0:0:9.834' --
  34. pKGmcolR')); waitfor delay '0:0:6.556' --
  35. -1;select pg_sleep(9.834); --
  36. -1);select pg_sleep(3.278); --
  37. -1));select pg_sleep(9.834); --