Customize

Egypt: Latest news

Discussion in 'Freedom of Expression' started by Clash, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Clash Member

Hello, Salut à toi,

Good News (or so) from Egypt on the Canoe.ca website (newspaper in Quebec)

The protestants are moving in on Tahrir for a hunger strike and are to stay there until the Government bring dow what the "people" are asking for. Ambulance and medication are on their way to assists the protestants.

Meanwhile, others are marching on in Alexandria and other cities.

STAND FIRM EGYPT, DO NOT FORGET, DO NOT FORGIVE!

http://fr.canoe.ca/archives/infos/international/2011/07/20110715-095821.html

20110715-095821-g.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  2. lulzgasm Member

how's that been faring?
  3. The Wrong Guy Member

Here's an update from a Christian Science Monitor reporter in Cairo today. Read it from bottom to top:

4. lulzgasm Member

well fuck
  5. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  6. The Wrong Guy Member

AgentOrchid Agent Orchid
    #OpEGYPT is what you get when you run over innocent peaceful people with tanks.
    25 minutes ago

AnonymousIRC AnonymousIRC
    And #Egypt Military should never forget: The whole world is STILL watching. We do not forget simply because Mubarak is gone. #OpEgypt
    17 minutes ago

YourAnonNews Anonymous
    #Anonymous to @Telecomix. This is a emergency distress signal. Please activate all operatives and agents handling #Egypt. #OpEgypt"
    14 minutes ago

assemaltawdi Assem Al Tawdi عاصم
    RT @EgyptianLiberal All #EgyGov sites will be down (Shortly I hope) stay tuned #Anonymous #OpEgypt #AywaBa2a #Egypt
    2 minutes ago
  7. The Wrong Guy Member

8. The Wrong Guy Member

9. The Wrong Guy Member

10. Anonymous Member

I love religion because it teaches me who to hate.
  11. WMAnon Member

Dammit, Egypt, I thought you guys had that religion problem dealt with. Someone go dig up those pictures of the christians guarding the praying muslims, this is hurting my head.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. lulzgasm Member

Alas, I guess that was too good to last. :/
  13. lulzgasm Member

I assume war crimes evidence is already getting archived? Well, to be accurate, mass murder evidence?
  14. The Wrong Guy Member

15. lulzgasm Member

Why do I smell pro-Mubarak thugs in this?
    Also, why do I smell a distinct CIA stench behind them?
  16. The Wrong Guy Member

Egyptian sentenced to 3 years in prison for Facebook posts

Ayman Yousef Mansour has become the second Egyptian, since the fall of former president Hosni Mubarak, to be sentenced to 3 years in jail for online self-expression.

Unlike Maikel Nabil whose three year sentence was for a blog post deemed insulting to the military, Mansour’s crime took place on Facebook, and has been deemed insulting to Islam.

According to the official MENA news agency, Mansour was tried in a criminal court, and his ruling stated that he “intentionally insulted the dignity of the Islamic religion and attacked it with insults and ridicule on Facebook.” While it remains unclear exactly what the posts contained, Egyptian daily, Al Masry Al Youm reported that the court stated that the posts on the Facebook page threatened national unity.

More: http://thenextweb.com/me/2011/10/22/egyptian-sentenced-to-3-years-in-prison-for-facebook-posts/
    • Like Like x 2
  17. lulzgasm Member

Sigh. The typical learning curve of governments = flatline.
  18. The Wrong Guy Member

From Twitter:

blakehounshell Blake Hounshell
    Egyptians talk about varieties of tear gas like Californians talk about wine.
    6 minutes ago
  19. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 2
  20. Anonymous Member

The death toll is 13 now.
  21. Anonymous Member

Not too surprising unfortunately.
    • Like Like x 1
  22. exOT8Michael Member

Tahrir Square is Egypt's new beating heart.
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Anonymous Member

20 dead.
    2000 injured.
    The civilian government has resigned.
    The protesters are demanding the military council hand over power to the people.
  24. The Wrong Guy Member

xeni Xeni Jardin
    Tweets from folks who were in Tahrir today all speak of coughing, burning lungs, insomnia, headaches, from some mysterious gas used on them.
    5 minutes ago

xeni Xeni Jardin
    To say nothing, of course, of the many others whose voices we're not seeing here because they were injured far more seriously. #tahrir
    4 minutes ago
  25. The Wrong Guy Member

This is quoted from http://twitter.com/#!/monaeltahawy

Monatwittersmall.jpg

Mona Eltahawy
    @monaeltahawy The World
    Columnist and public speaker on Arab and Muslim issues
    http://www.monaeltahawy.com
    http://www.monaeltahawy.com/blog

monaeltahawy Mona Eltahawy
    Across street from AUC gate I used to enter every day Mohamed Mansour. Can't believe it. A cacophony sirens, horns, flashing ambulance lights
    17 hours ago

Pitch black, only flashing ambulance lights and air thick with gas Mohamed Mahmoud #Tahrir
    16 hours ago

Beaten arrested in interior ministry
    13 hours ago

I AM FREE
    5 hours ago

12 hours with Interior Ministry bastards and military intelligence combined. Can barely type - must go xray arms after CSF pigs beat me.
    5 hours ago

Thank God a political activist in MOI with me lent me his phone to tweet. Right after my tweet his battery died
    5 hours ago

My right hand is so swollen I can't close it yfrog.com/kg19hhuj
    4 hours ago

5 or 6 surrounded me, groped and prodded my breasts, grabbed my genital area and I lost count how many hands tried to get into my trousers.
    4 hours ago

They are dogs and their bosses are dogs. Fuck the Egyptian police.
    4 hours ago

.@Sarahngb is coming to kindly take me to the hospital. Besides beating me, the dogs of CSF subjected me to the worst sexual assault ever
    4 hours ago

Didn't want to go with military intelligence but one MP said either come politely or not. Those guys didn't beat or assault me.
    4 hours ago

Instead, blindfolded me for 2 hrs, after keeping me waiting for 3. At 1st answered Qs bec passport wasn't w me but then refused as civilian
    4 hours ago

Another hour later I was free with apology from military intelligence for what CSF did. Took pics of my bruises and recorded statement 1/2
    4 hours ago

On sexual assault and said would investigate it and said they had no idea why I was there. Then who does??! WTF!
    4 hours ago

The past 12 hrs were painful and surreal but I know I got off much much easier than so many other Egyptians.
    4 hours ago

The whole time I was thinking about article I would write; just you fuckers wait.
    4 hours ago

My left arm and right hand are broken acc to xrays
    2 hours ago

My casts twitpic.com/7iv0vk
    1 hour ago

[IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  26. The Wrong Guy Member

US-Egyptian Writer Alleges Sexual Abuse by Police - ABC News

The Associated Press

A prominent Egyptian-born U.S. columnist says she was sexually assaulted, beaten and blindfolded during a 12-hour detention by police.

Mona Eltahawy posted on Twitter Thursday that she was arrested near Egypt's Interior Ministry around Tahrir Square, where clashes between protesters and police have raged since Saturday. After her release, she posted pictures of both her arms in casts.

She says she was sexually assaulted by regular police, surrounded by half a dozen who "groped, prodded my breasts, grabbed my genital area," while others tried to get their hands in her pants.

She says she was later handed over to military police, who kept her blindfolded for two hours. She was released with an apology and a promise of an investigation.

From http://abcnews.go.com/International...n-writer-alleges-sexual-abuse-police-15023705
    • Like Like x 1
  27. lulzgasm Member

Those fucking bastards!! :(
    • Like Like x 1
  28. lulzgasm Member

My my my, the tangled webs our govs like to weave....
  29. The Wrong Guy Member

Mona Eltahawy is neither the first woman nor the first journalist to suffer such abuse while covering the Egyptian revolution – the comparisons to the repulsive treatment of Lara Logan comes to mind – but the near-instant turnaround time from the attack to Eltahawy choosing to go public with her story is something completely new in the face of violent regimes. Part of this is due to the speed with which Twitter functions, but most if not all of the credit goes to Eltahawy for displaying a level of courage that is as humbling to the rest of us as it is admirable beyond words.

Eltahawy on CNN’s American Morning below:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/journali...er-egyptian-police-beat-sexually-assault-her/
  30. Demented LRH Member

The Muslim Brotherhood are on the verge of victory in the Monday elections. They struck a deal with the military and they are not supporting the Tahrir demonstrators any longer. They want the Army to stay at the top to guarantee that this will be the ONLY democratic election. The situation mirrors the one in West Bank and Gaza where Hamas and Fatah refuse to conduct new elections after the ones that brought them to power. Egypt will likely become a theocratic state similar to Iran.
    In contrast, the situation in Libya is very good because Muslim Brotherhood are not popular there and do not have roots in the country that is a patchwork of tribes. I think that democracy will flourish there.
    • Like Like x 1
  31. DeathHamster Member

32. lulzgasm Member

Considering the tribalism in Libya, I think a more Iroquoi - style of democratic governing would work best there.

But don't count Egypt out just yet. If push comes to shove, well....

Armies have bases. Bases that can be snuck into and/or raided. ;)
  33. Anonymous Member

interesting thought, you're right there are some parallels
    • Like Like x 1
  34. The Wrong Guy Member

It was a difficult decision to make, but I'm cutting my Egypt trip short and returning to NYC Sunday. Coming back on January 23 - ticket bought already.
    44 minutes ago

With both arms in a cast I'm not very mobile, so I'm going back to NYC to heal, and then back to Egypt for #Jan25 anniversary. Very sad to be leaving.
    41 minutes ago

My media campaign against SCAF and security bastards will continue.
    39 minutes ago

SCAF: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Council_of_the_Armed_Forces
    • Like Like x 1
  35. lulzgasm Member

Poor Mona :(

I love her fighting spirit, though. She don't forgive or forget. :)
  36. The Wrong Guy Member

Egyptian officer suspected of being 'The Eye Hunter,' shooting protesters - CNN.com

Egypt's general prosecutor on Friday ordered a police officer to submit to questioning regarding his suspected role in shooting protesters in the eyes during recent clashes in Cairo's Tahrir Square.

"The Ministry of Interior is preoccupied by the latest events, but he will come in for questioning soon," Adel Saeed, a spokesman for Egypt's general prosecutor, said about the suspect, 1st Lt. Mahmoud Sobhi El Shinawi.

The evidence offered against El Shinawi includes videos recorded by protesters and posted on Facebook, Saeed said. At least five demonstrators have been shot in the eye, according to authorities.

They are among hundreds of casualties over the past week. Some 41 people have died -- 33 of them in Cairo -- while an additional 3,250 had been wounded as of Friday, Health Ministry spokesman Hisham Shiha has said.

Protesters have called El Shinawi, specifically, "The Eye Hunter" and have sprayed "wanted" stencils featuring his face, name and rank on the walls around Tahrir Square.

Fliers with his photograph have also been distributed to people in the square, which is the hub of the activist movement railing against Egypt's military leaders. They include a reward offer of 5,000 Egyptian pounds ($800) for information leading to the suspect, according to the artist who painted the stencil and asked not be named.

El Shinawi has been on duty on Cairo's Mohamed Mahmoud street during the recent clashes and is a "highly trained marksman," 1st Lt. Alaa Mahmoud, an Interior Ministry spokesman, told CNN. The spokesman declined to comment on the specific accusations against El Shinawi.

One of the suspect's alleged victims is Ahmed Harrara. Harrara, who lost one eye on January 28 during the uprising against then-President Hosni Mubarak, lost his other eye last Sunday on Mahmoud Street.

More: http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/25/world/africa/egypt-eye-hunter/index.html
  37. The Wrong Guy Member

alaa Alaa Abd El Fattah
    On my way to military prosecutor with @manal and @heshamserry
    30 Oct

alaa Alaa Abd El Fattah
    Stuck in #cairotraffic late for my summons at military prosecutor #c28
    30 Oct

alaa Alaa Abd El Fattah
    @Twitlovey yes I need to go it is an official summons if I dont go they'll arrest me as a fugitive
    30 Oct

alaa Alaa Abd El Fattah
    Arrived at military prosecutor lawyers are late, hanging out with tweeps outside court complex
    30 Oct

alaa Alaa Abd El Fattah
    Going in
    30 Oct

AnonyOps Anonymous
    Some *really* disturbing news out of Egypt. They're charging an activist (@alaa), who was filming violence, with murder. Sick and twisted.
    1 minute ago

AnonyOps Anonymous
    Details forthcoming.
    1 minute ago
  38. The Wrong Guy Member

39. The Wrong Guy Member

AnonyOps Anonymous
    So... The Pennsylvania plant that is providing tear gas to Egypt? It's getting Occupied. #huzzah bitches.
    8 minutes ago

AnonyOps Anonymous
    That PA plant is getting raided, I mean occupied. =) #huzzah #anonymous
    4 minutes ago

From http://www.facebook.com/events/102765836506574/

Defend Egypt! Protest at CSI Tear Gas Plant, December 1st

The movement of the 99% of the United States and others who stand in solidarity with the Egyptian people have been called upon by comrades in Tahrir Square to take action against the businesses and institutions in our country that are aiding in the repression of the grassroots democratic movement there.

"The army and police rely on tear gas, bullets and weapons from abroad," reads a call written on November 22 by Mosireen, Comrades from Cairo [http://mosireen.org/?p=385&fb_source=message]. "No doubt their stock has been replenished by US and other governments over the last nine months."

Combined Systems Incorporated, located in northwest Pennsylvania, is one of the main suppliers of such "less-lethal" weapons to the Egyptian state; their tear gas canisters have littered the streets of Cairo. CSI and their allies in the U.S. State Department, who must approve the sales of their weapons to foreign governments, are complicit in crimes against humanity. They have consistently facilitated the repression of grassroots democratic movements not only in Egypt, but also in the U.S. itself, as well as in Tunisia, Greece, Palestine, Yemen, and other places.

"They are sponsoring terror against the Egyptian people," says a comrade in Cairo. "The army shot at them while the people were praying... the US is partly responsible for this."

We are responding with action: On December 1st, participants from "Occupy" encampments from around the region will converge on the CSI's weapons production factory in Jamestown, PA (388 Kinsman Road Jamestown, PA), shuttles will be provided from the intersection of Main St and Liberty St in downtown Jamestown.

We will make sure the people of Egypt hear our message; We are with you, our government's actions do not represent the desires of our people, and we will take action against businesses and institutions that aid in the repression of our movements; We will defend the Egyptian revolution!
    • Like Like x 1
  40. The Wrong Guy Member

Kemety Alfred Raouf
    The world has to realize that @alaa's detention is rather a political decision, not a judicial one. The case against him doesn't hold a chance.
    14 minutes ago

FarahSaafan Farah Saafan
    SCAF waiting till Alaa's son is born before they release him, thinking that ought to teach him a lesson! But they are very wrong. :)
    3 minutes ago