Customize

Epic Win: How 4chan’s Anonymous Army Conquered the Web - Cole Stryker

Discussion in 'Media' started by Anonymous, May 13, 2011.

1. Anonymous Member

51zXu57uo1L._SS500_.jpg

"It’s going to be about 4chan, the mysterious, misunderstood image board defined by anonymity and anarchy that influences the way you behave on the web, whether you realize it or not."

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1590207106/
    • Like Like x 5
  2. moarxenu Member

Can't wait. Amazon pre-order FTW!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Anonymous Member

your image says "conquered the web" image in link says "conquered the world." One of those is a reasonable statement. One not so much. It also has a lamer cover image.
  4. Consensus Member

There's been a media revolution. Ten years ago, 'conquering mainstream media' and 'conquering the world' would have the same meaning.

New media has replaced mainstream media.

Ergo, the statements are equivalent.
    edit - here's a related link: http://www.theatlantic.com/internat...ptian-activists-action-plan-translated/70388/

These flyers were produced by Anons, and translated and distributed in Egypt by Egyptians. Some of whom were anons.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Herro Member

Not yet. Mainstream media is still more influential and has vastly greater reach. But that will probably not be the case for much longer. Should be interesting.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Consensus Member

Mainstream media - one-to-many broadcasting - will never 'go away.' But the content being broadcast by mainstream media is now completely saturated with new-media memes and influences. And that trend will only continue. Meanwhile, the actual ideas that shape policy are now being forged online, not by talking heads on radio and cable news networks.

People don't understand the significance of Comcast buying NBC. Or Wikileaks airing the US Gov't's dirty laundry. Etc etc. We're in the midst of this transition, and it's as significant as the invention of the printing press. Without that transition, Anonymous would be powerless to 'conquer the world.' But Anonymous is a force that is accelerating the transition, and defending the internet against the inevitable counter-push.
    • Like Like x 6
  7. Herro Member

I'm not so sure about that.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Consensus Member

Alright, fine, I'm being optimistic.

It's a trend in that direction. I expect the trend to continue. I hope the trend continues. I can't prove it WILL continue, and I certainly can't provide any proof that it has already crossed the threshold.

For my subjective purposes, I aim to further this development in modern media.
  9. Kilia Member

The web is the world. ;-)
    • Like Like x 2
  10. supafreak Member

11. november5 Member

Wait, since when was Anonymous an army belonging to 4chan? I thought 4chan and Anonymous were two separate things?
  12. n3uromanc3r Member

My take on it is that they're two over-lapping things that are almost impossible to untangle.
  13. Anonymous Member

In my part of town, it's called a "clusterfuck."
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Anonymous Member

15. Anybody else having the urge to randomly sit on the curb of an org lot and just read this book once they get it?
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 2
  17. Madam, given the news present in the post immediately above this one, I plan to buy a box of these books and hand them out at raids and protests!!!
  18. Anonymous Member

19. Anonymous Member

20. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  21. Dragononymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  22. moarxenu Member

Cole Stryker, Anonymous lol.

[IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  23. Anonymous Member

So Concensus...

... What is the plan?
    • Like Like x 2
  24. Silly433 Moderator

Hey guise when is Skippy's book due?
  25. Savi0r Member

Did this come out already???
  26. Savi0r Member

NO! JUST FUCKING NO!!!!!!!!
    • Like Like x 2
  27. Anonymous Member

orange_cat-7818.jpg
    • Like Like x 6
  28. Anonymous Member

No, next Thursday, September 1st.
  29. Savi0r Member

Woooooooo!
    I'll drink to that!

Kanpai!!!!!!!
  30. Anonymous Member

31. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  32. moarxenu Member

Vid above sux. Sound is like non-existent. Here's another vid of Cole:

• Like Like x 1
  33. Anonymous Member

He looks like a fucking retard.
  34. Anonymous Member

2a69if7.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  35. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 2
  36. Anonymous Member

37. moarxenu Member

I have started reading it. Not so bad so far. Very useful for understanding 4chan.
  38. Anonymous Member

You jelly?
  39. Anonymous Member

40. Anonymous Member

Salon interview: http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2011/09/06/anonymous_cole_stryker

• Like Like x 2