Customize

EXCLUSIVE: Will and Jada Fire Head of Their School

Discussion in 'Celebrity News' started by Sponge, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Anonymous Member

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Will and Jada Fire Head of Their School

It's a private school which the Smith's own and run. The curriculum they select is their choice. It is not religious discrimination to have employees support the curriculum and/or the "faith" used or promoted in a private school. The First Amendment only provides protection for schools that are publicly funded and run.

Most Catholic schools have a requirement that their teachers/ administration/employees are practicing Catholics. As a Methodist, I cannot claim religious discrimination. I could try to apply for a position there, but if hired, I would have to agree to follow any traditions, and could not complain about mass being held each morning, for example.

Once again - it is a PRIVATE school. In the US, these schools enjoy many freedoms, whether you agree with them or not. There are many weird incompetent schools out there.
  2. TinyDancer Member

Nothing in that sentence says she can't give her opinion about Study Tech. I'd like to know if they confidentiality agreement was drafted to cover that. :D
  3. AnonymousNow Member

Yea, public schools can't advocate a religion, private schools can. Establishment clause does not apply to private facilities.
  4. The Shadow Member

Damn shame.....to think I had the guts to enjoy and defend 'Wild Wild West' :S

You've let me down, Will.....
  5. Anonymous Member

All educational theories are equal.

Some educational theories are more equal than others.
  6. churchlady Member

FACULTY AND STAFF CHANGES
    FOR THE 2009 - 10 SCHOOL YEAR

I am excited to announce several changes to our faculty configuration for next
    fall. Pre-kindergarten and Kindergarten will remain the same with our wonderful
    teachers and in the same classrooms. Grades 1 - 6 will now be “self-contained”
    classrooms, which means that they will be under the umbrella of one teacher in a
    classroom, supplemented by our specialty teachers. We will have a Grades 1-2
    class, a Grades 3-4 class and a Grades 5-6 class. In the last newsletter, our two
    new faculty members were announced; Shaquanda Lindsey will be our Grades
    1-2 teacher, and Gabrielle Strauss will be the Grades 3-4 teacher. I am thrilled to
    announce that Ms. Laura Sanderford, our current Science teacher, will be taking
    on the Grades 5-6 teaching position - grade levels she has tremendous experience
    with!

Other changes are as follows. Ms. Carolyn will be moving to our Qualifications
    (testing) Department, where she will be assessing students, creating individualized
    programs and targets (with Ms. Piano and Ms. Sigrid) as well as tracking student
    progress. Ms. Shannon will be the Team Liaison with Grades 1-6, and facilitate
    students being placed in the appropriate groups regardless of grade level. Last, Mr.
    Sean will now be our lead Physical Education teacher!

These changes will positively affect our program, and I hope you share my
    excitement with them as we move into our second year!

Read More Village Voice Weekly- June 4, 2009

Does this sound like a scientology school? This was taken directly from the NVLA June 4 newsletter, signed by Ms. Oliver. If it walks like a duck......
  7. chrisanon Member

I understand that it is a PRIVATE school. Just because it's a PRIVATE school doesn't mean all constitutional protections go out the window.

Are you sure Catholic schools require teachers to be Catholic? Quakers, Episcopals, and (non-Orthodox) Jews make no such demand at their schools, and I am certain of that.

Olivier was told she did not have to be a Scilon to be principal, and now she's been fired for not using materials the religion's founder developed.

That would have been the basis of her complaint, and if it's not strictly a religious discrimination suit, it's still a solid employment suit, because she was hired under false pretenses.

I think there would be elements of religious discrimination in her suit, though. Any employment lawyers want to weigh in?
  8. 3rdMan Member

Good question. I don't remember reading anything about when reviewing Dr. Touretsky's analysis on studytech

Scientology's Study Technology - Essay - Dr. David Touretzky
  9. TinyDancer Member

They have a Qual dept. That's study tech.
  10. Major Boyle Member

Sounds like its time to let the media know that Yes, Will Smith Lied and it IS a cult brainwashing facility. Oops. Sorry, Wool Smooth. You lose.
  11. Anonymous Member

The Catholic schools I'm familiar with let in teachers and students of pretty much all faiths, but the argument here is that if you OBJECT to any part of the private school's fundamental teachings, then you can't demand that they change it - then you should rather resign.

Yup. Find out if they have e-meters too. (Learning accelerators.)
  12. Anonymous Member

"Miss nurse? I have a tummy ache."
    "Sounds like you have an overt, spend another hour (and $350) on auditing."
    "I think it's the leftover two-week-old rice and beans..."
    "WHAT!? You dare question the tech!? Report to ethics!"
  13. Anonymous Member

I have included links here from a job posting for a teacher for a Jewish school and information found on a Catholic school's web site re: its hiring practice. I used Catholics strictly as an example in my post, above. I said MOST, not all, desired Catholic employees.

Some schools make it mandatory, some make it "desirable", and some don't care. This is true for all religions - it depends on the school and the school's governing board to establish its practices. I don't know where you live, Chrisanon, but it is NOT true that Jewish, Episcopal, etc. etc churches don't do the same thing, as evidenced by this current teaching position advertised for a Jewish school.

part time : Religious School Teacher

Department of Catholic Schools

Private schools can set their own hiring practices. They can determine whether they want state-licensed teachers or not. They can decide what college degree(s) to require. If they are a parochial (religious) school, they CAN opt to hire only those who practice the faith. They don't HAVE to, not all DO, but the option is available.

There are more rules placed on private schools if they participate in federally funded programs, such as Title I, and receive federal funding.

IANAL. I am an educational administrator in a large US city, though, and have worked with all education sectors. As part of my education, I have a lot of educational law in my background, as well.
  14. chrisanon Member

That's what I thought. Discrimination is almost always illegal, although the Bush administration did try to change that for some "faith-based" organizations (not for schools, though.) I don't know if the changes went through. I hope not; they were quite damaging.

The religious schools I'm familiar with are upfront about wanting teachers who are happy to choose curriculum and to teach in a way that supports the school's faith. They don't do what the Smiths did and lie.
  15. Anonymous Member

Um...teachers don't choose their own curriculum, FYI.
  16. LilDebbie Member

chris, you're failing it hard.

you're right, a jew can apply for a teaching job at a catholic school provided he is well versed in catholic theology and has no objections to teaching it.

superintendent objected to study tech, for good reason, but nevertheless she is obliged to administer it as part of her job duties.
  17. TinyDancer Member

18. Anonymous Member

NYPA <3

19. Anonymous Member

re: other religious schools, it doesn't just vary between schools, but even between positions. For example, if you have a part-time Jewish school that only teaches Jewish religious and cultural subjects you will have all jewish teachers. But on another Jewish school they could have only Jews teaching those subjects, while sucjects like math or science could be a mix of jews and non-jews.
  20. OTBT Member

Looks like the entire National Enquirer site is down at the moment

Celebrity News | Photos | Crime | Gossip National Enquirer Magazine

Celebrity News | Gossip - National Enquirer

21. Anonynamefag Member

22. Anonymous Member

23. OTBT Member

Thanks.

Wasn't trying to be tin foily, just stating a fact that the entire National Enquirer website is currently down.
  24. LocalSP Member

Works fine for me.
  25. Anonymous Member

Works for me, too.
  26. chrisanon Member

They do at every private school I know about.
  27. chrisanon Member

How are you managing to misunderstand my very simple statements? What precisely do you disagree with?

First of all, my guess is that a Jewish math or chemistry teacher in a Catholic school is probably required to know more about math or chemistry than about Catholicism. But it is just a guess; I don't know anything about Catholic schools.

If my more important point is incorrect, show me how I'm wrong instead of just telling me I fail.

Olivier objected to part of the curriculum, wanted to change it, and was told she could not. OK, the analogy with religious schools works so far.

My guess is that Olivier thought she could make changes. I think that's a fair guess given that the Smiths continue to deny their school is religious, and probably denied it to her. If you think that guess is wrong, fine, I fail. Obviously, I think I'm right.

There are thousands of different curricula out there; private school teachers are constantly changing the ones they use and looking for better ones.

It is very tough for me to believe that anyone who is in the $200,000 private school administrator league would sign a contract that obligated her to use something as outmoded as Study Tech.

That is a top salary (it's actually the highest I've ever heard of for that grade level) and people in that echelon expect to use the best techniques, curricula etc.

It's very hard for me to believe Olivier understood that she couldn't make whatever changes she felt best served the students, especially given the propaganda on the school's website.

But if you think I'm wrong, fine. Maybe I am. How are you reasoning this out?
  28. Herro Member

The Church of Scientology is recruiting slave labor from this school? Prove it. Show me evidence that any of the kids in the school have been encouraged to become scientologists.

They're using study tech as a framework for the school's pedagogy. The principle didn't agree with that, so they fired her. How does that make them scientologists?

Yay loaded questions.

Not sure why this is really all that big of a deal. Doesn't really change anything. From what we know thus far the Smiths think study tech is a great educational method and are using it as a basis for the pedagogy in their school. After a shit ton of arguing and screaming in threads about this, nobody could find anything solid to indicate that the Smiths intend to use as a religious recruiting tool. They may be using a failed approach to learning, but they're not using it to recruit for the CoS and it doesn't make this a scientologist school. The firing of this principle really doesn't change anything. Basically the principle didn't agree with the fundamentals of the teaching methodology and so the Smiths fired her. I fail to see how this means that this is a scientology school. I'd imagine any principle that refused to follow the established pedagogy of a school would be fired.

<3

You're just flat out wrong buddy. First of all this isn't religious discrimination because the principle is refusing to use the established teaching methods of the school. Even if it was religious, since the issue is directly relevant to the performance of the job, the school is well within its rights to fire the principle.
  29. Ann O'Nymous Member

Major change in the school: the principal is now a scientologist and not a professional anymore.
  30. Herro Member

So? Scientologist principle can't be professional?
  31. Smurf Member

Say what?? There's alot of Scientology professionals in the field of higher education.
  32. Anonymous Member

I find it quite strange that after doing a lot of googling that I can find nothing on Piano Foster (other than her one scien completion) zip, nada, nothing.
  33. Anonymous Member

Dox?
  34. TinyDancer Member

First, show me where that post says that Church of Scientology is recruiting slave labor from this school

FIFY.

It's a reasonable inference since:

1. Study Tech is crap educational methodology;
    2. Jada and Will believe Hubbard over the highly qualified Olivier (= blind faith);
    3. Study Tech is a CoS-approved way of spreading LRH technology to "clear the planet" (refer THE Tom Cruise video). ie. The CoS wants it promoted in order to make more Scientologists;
    4. Their faculty has a large number of Scientologists - disproportionate to the general population.
    Do you recall (did you read) the initial thread in which it was listed how many scientologists were on staff?
  35. Anonymous Member

Putting the issue of whether school employees are Scilons completely aside...

Study tech is 100% bullshit, with NO research behind it. There is a wide variety of exceptional pedagogical theories and instructional techniques out there with YEARS of valid research to back them up. ANY educator who has been properly educated in curriculum and instruction will immediately spot the absurdity of study tech.

For study tech to be selected in that school meant that the Smiths either had an agenda or were initially misinformed. Had they been misinformed about the validity of the path they'd chosen, they would've taken the principal's concerns seriously, and likely would've selected an alternate curricula going forward.

For them to fire the principal they personally hired because she questioned/ expressed concerns about the validity of the tech just proves Anon's initial assessment of the school's purpose and the Smiths' motives.

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and waddles like a duck...
  36. BTs2Free Member

"Study Tech" is a major part of Scientology. The Student Hat is the first major course you do in Scientology before you can even do any Scn training. The Basic Study Manual or BSM is a "basic" course that teaches you a lower gradient of the Study Tech. It should probably be renamed to the Brainwashing Simulation Manual.

Regardless, Study Tech IS a "religious" teaching (scripture) and not "secular" as Scientology's PR arm would want you to believe.

I think it should be found out if Will and Jada's school is connected to Applied Scholastics, (leak request) which is Scientology's "secular" arm for education as a front group and spear into "the WOG world." Applied Scholastics is under the ABLE International (Assosiacion for Better Living and Education) branch which is then connected upwards to CSI (Church of Scientology International). In other words, the CoS has an entire freakin' management arm just for "Study Tech" and using it as a spearhead into society.

In order to use the "Study Tech" and other "L. Ron Hubbard Library" (r) or (c) properties, the Smith's will have to pay fees to Appied Scholastics (or get sued), and that money will transfer up to David Miscavige's bank accounts, Sea Org Reserves, and other accounts.

In addition to that, under Applied Scholastics, all of the staff at the school will have to take Scientology courses in Study Tech and other basic Scientology management tech. I worked at several Scientology connected businesses before and after I was in the Sea Org. All of the management courses and "staff" training courses at these businesses are mini-versions of the Admin or "Green Volumes" in Scientology. You are even pushed by the executives at these businesses to "get on course at the org" or get moving on the Bridge. This is what happens at the Delphian School which I was a student at for quite a number of years. Including the "imfamous within Scientology" - Apple School. Both of those schools claimed only "Study Tech" and no "religious" OR Scientology connection. BULLSHIT!

The problem here IS religious discrimination.

The Smiths are trying to play the "no religion" card. Don't we know better? And, do you really think that that "contract" would hold up in a court of law? When I left the Sea Org I had to sign a similar contract under durress. In my case, if I didn't sign it, I couldn't leave. Probably not the same extreme in this case though.

Cheers,
    John
  37. mojo Member

well, duh - on me. thx Django.
  38. Ann O'Nymous Member

IMHO, it has to be one or the other:
    - A professional cannot endorse a "tech" that nobody in the field recognizes as valid without losing its credibility.
    - Scientologist can work in any field as long as they do not put their crap into practice.

The comparison with confessional schools is not valid as such. AFAIK, the various disciplines are taught there the same way they are in any school. They might add religious classes.

The best comparison is, IMO, creationism. It pretends to be scientific, but it is not.

TL;DR Study tech is not recognized as a valid teaching method. Any school should avoid using it, independently of its philosophic / spiritual orientation.
  39. Anonymous Member

So has this been sent to Gawker, Perez, etc.?
  40. Smurf Member

You're entitled to your opinion. There's lot of working professionals in the world that sustain religious beliefs who uses them in their work life.