Customize

Fair Game: The Incredible Untold Story of Scientology in Australia by Steve Cannane

Discussion in 'Media' started by The Wrong Guy, Jul 10, 2016.

1. TorontosRoot Member

Pressure that judge. Maybe he was harassed way before the ruling?
  2. The Wrong Guy Member

When L. Ron Hubbard briefly let down his guard and admitted Scientology was all a con

By Tony Ortega, September 30, 2016

Quote:

We’re very happy to see that Steve Cannane’s book, Fair Game: The Incredible Untold Story of Scientology in Australia has been getting a lot of press since it was released on September 19. Naturally, media reports have tended to focus on celebrity hijinks in the book, as well as recent stories of abuse in Scientology that Steve uncovered.

But one of the things we enjoyed most about Steve’s book — and frankly, didn’t expect from a book with a focus on Australia — was the tough new look it takes at Scientology’s founder, Nebraska-born L. Ron Hubbard.

Cannane takes a brutal look at Hubbard’s background, and he seems astonished that given Hubbard’s personal history anyone took him seriously at all. In 1948 Hubbard was brought so low, he was prosecuted in San Gabriel Township Court in Southern California for writing bad checks. Steve writes, “Following his visit to the San Gabriel Township Justice Court, Hubbard could have been classified as a petty thief, a con artist, a bigamist, a wife-beater, a dead-beat dad, a valour thief, a malingerer and a liar. Yet his next scheme was to convince others that he had found a way to solve any and all of their life problems. Hubbard was working on a book he would ultimately describe as a ‘milestone for Man comparable to his discovery of fire and superior to his inventions of the wheel and arch.'”

It does seem astonishing, when you think about it.

After that book, Dianetics, came out in 1950, Hubbard’s life radically changed. By 1968, Hubbard had given himself the title of “Commodore” of his own private navy as he ran his worldwide Scientology organization from the helm of the ship the Royal Scotman (later renamed the Apollo). And it was there on the ship that one of the most remarkable episodes recounted in Cannane’s book takes place — when Hubbard, at least for a short while, leveled with a journalist about how Scientology was all a con job.

Cannane has generously given the Underground Bunker permission to run an excerpt from Fair Game that recounts the 1968 encounter between Hubbard and Charlie Nairn, who filmed Granada Television’s World in Action documentary, The Shrinking World of L. Ron Hubbard. As Cannane explains, Nairn tracked down Hubbard aboard the Royal Scotman in Tunisia, and approached him late one night, finding Hubbard alone on the ship’s deck. The conversation that Nairn then had with Hubbard, as described by Nairn, is pretty astonishing.

“This is one of my favorite revelations in Fair Game,” Cannane tells us. “Charlie Nairn is a highly credible award winning documentary maker. The conversation he recounted to me gives a fascinating insight into Hubbard’s motivations. The image of him comparing Scientology to fly-fishing – of luring people in – and getting a thrill out of the art of deception completely makes sense when you look at how Hubbard treated his followers.”

Here’s the excerpt from Fair Game recounting Nairn’s encounter with Hubbard. We hope it motivates you to buy your own copy of the book, which is chock-full of similar revelations about Hubbard and Scientology.

Continued here:
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/09/30/wh...guard-and-admitted-scientology-was-all-a-con/
    • Like Like x 4
  3. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientology has been running a 'penal colony' in Sydney, book alleges | Hack

A young Venezuelan signs a billion-year contract with a notoriously secretive religion, goes to work on a 'floating church' cruise ship, falls in love, and is punished at a Western Sydney 'penal colony'.

Quote:

This is a story told by former Hack host Steve Cannane in a new book on Scientology, called Fair Game.

He says Jose Navarro finally escaped from the punishment camp after years of hard labour and rotten food, and then hid in the Sydney Botanic Gardens.

"It's designed like a penal colony as far away as possible," said Cannane.

"Jose's transgression was falling in love with someone he was not allowed to have a relationship with by the Scientology hierarchy."

"They do labour, wear all black or dark blue, to signify what they call a lower condition, and eat the slops and leftovers from the Flemington Markets."

Why is everyone investigating Scientology? Cannane's book follows other recent documentaries, including Going Clear (2015) and Louis Theroux's My Scientology Movie, which is currently in Australian cinemas. According to Cannane, all this interest in shedding light on the religion is part of a trend that began way back in the 1990s, and led up to secret documents being published on sites like Wikileaks. The internet is forcing Scientology out into the open, he says.

Continued here:
    http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/progr...ogy-ran-a-western-sydney-penal-colony/7886098
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Incredulicide Member

• Like Like x 3
  5. Incredulicide Member

• Like Like x 2
  6. Quentinanon Member

And the scientology crime syndicate runs a penal colony in Los Angeles and Clearwater.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. TorontosRoot Member

When will it be surveyed by the pilot of the drone?
    • Like Like x 2
  8. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 1
  9. Incredulicide Member

Scientology protected by Oz politicians

by Alex Mitchell on September 29, 2016
    http://cometherevolution.com.au/alex-mitchells-weekly-notebook-6/
    • Like Like x 1
  10. RightOn Member

11. Quentinanon Member

"We finally have a royal commission to stop priests and other god followers from kiddy-fiddling and raping schoolgirls and schoolboys. Yet we are unable to take action against Scientologists who break up families, ruin careers and behave like a private Stasi on steroids. I can take a swipe at Cardinal George Pell, Rev Fred Nile, the Chief Rabbi, the Dalai Lama and the Grand Mufti – but I can’t make a criticism of Scientology without going onto its “enemy” list and being threatened.
    I don’t believe Hubbard’s business venture should be closed down: I simply want it taken off the Commonwealth’s tax exemption list. I want it treated as a private corporation and obliged to pay company tax, sales tax, income tax and cough up for superannuation, health insurance and holiday allowances etc to all its employees. If cultists want to give money in support of an inter-galactic after-life beyond the Wall of Fire, it’s their business. However, I resent giving them tax exemption to bludge off the good people, like myself, who pay our tax.
    When Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and Treasurer Scott Morrison say Australia is facing an economic crisis of generational proportions, I fail to see why the cash-rich Scientologists – who have just opened a palatial and opulent building at Chatswood on Sydney’s North Shore – aren’t paying their way."

Except the scientology cult will not comply to pay such taxes and benefits. They think they are special and above "mere WOG law". You cannot separate the science fiction from the fiction science from Hubbard's policies. They will not do it and if you try to force them, they will pretend to comply but will cheat every and any way they can. Decades of observation have proven this to be the case. The only solution is to disband them.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Incredulicide Member

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mike Rinder Reviews Fair Game: The incredible untold story of Scientology in Australia, by Steve Cannane

http://www.mikerindersblog.org/steve-cannanes-fair-game/

* * * * * BEGIN EXCERPT * * * * *

I have just finished reading Australian national journalist Steve Cannane’s book Fair Game.

I highly recommend it as a very well written and researched account of scientology’s history and a revealing expose of newly disclosed and little known information. Steve had earlier commented that I had prompted him to embark on this exercise when I had mentioned the important role Australia had played in the history of scientology — from the first government inquiry and ban to the Australian High Court decision defining religion and the precedent setting role of Australian media unintimidated by scientology’s threats. And the personalities who had had pivotal roles, from Yvonne Jentzsch and family to Jan Eastgate and Senator Nick Xenophon to James Packer and Rupert Murdoch and sons.

His book is oriented around the history of scientology in Australia — but don’t let that fool you into thinking it does not have much greater relevance in the overall narrative about scientology and its place in the world.

* * * * * END EXCERPT * * * * *
    • Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 4
  14. DeathHamster Member

• Like Like x 1
  15. AUDIO: Scientology in Australia

ABC News Australia: Scientology in Australia

http://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/overnights/scientology/8043320

Audio at link.

* * * * * BEGIN INTRODUCTION * * * * *

Download (16.80 MB)

How important has Australia been in the history of scientology worldwide. What was its appeal for Australian celebrities like James Packer and Nicole Kidman -and what was it like for those Australians in Scientology families? Here’s Trevor Chappell with Steve Cannane, author of ‘Fair Game - The Incredible Untold Story of Scientology in Australia’ Steve is also the ABC’s Europe Correspondent

Duration: 36min 42sec
    Broadcast: Mon 21 Nov 2016, 2:00am
    Published: Mon 21 Nov 2016, 6:13pm

* * * * * END INTRODUCTION * * * * *
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  16. After Steve Cannane’s big year writing about Scientology, we hit him up for a look back
    Tony Ortega on December 28, 2016
    Excerpt-

Earlier this year, London-based Australian journalist Steve Cannane published a terrific new book on Scientology titled Fair Game. We asked him for a year-end message and he sent us this…

Tony has asked me to write about my experience of having a book come out in 2016, but I’m ignoring the editor, and instead of focusing on myself, I want to pay tribute to the people who allow journalists to report on Scientology – the whistleblowers.
    The cult of Scientology relies on secrets to maintain its control. Every time a former member speaks out or an insider leaks information it’s a hammer blow to the organization. Scientology relies on a combination of deception and ignorance to hoodwink newcomers. Each time an ex-member speaks out they help inoculate the next generation from being recruited into Scientology.
    <snip>
    It takes incredible courage for ex-members to speak out about Scientology. Firstly, it takes great courage to leave, to risk disconnection, to walk away from what has been drummed into you is the key to your immortality. To then speak out is a further leap into the unknown. Many ex-Sea Org members suffer from post-traumatic stress and to speak out is to relive those traumatic events. Others feel shame for not leaving earlier or for what they might have done inside. Then there is the risk that you are making yourself a target by telling your story. As we all know those risks can be real.

More here - http://tonyortega.org/2016/12/28/af...ut-scientology-we-hit-him-up-for-a-look-back/