Customize

Fair Work Ombudsman Release Findings (Discussion and media)

Discussion in 'Media' started by AnonLover, Sep 15, 2011.

1. RolandRB Member

I look at this from the point of view of people who are out of work and who are looking for work. If employment on staff has all the hallmarks of normal employment then they should be offering and giving minimum wage at least so that people out of work and with commitments can get into work and earn a living they can survive on as well as their dependents.

It should be nothing to do with whether a person has volunteered or not.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. AnonLover Member

• Like Like x 3
  3. wolfyrik Member

Arg! Half win, half loss. The question is will the FWO actually pass on their findings regarding slavery. I hope a close eye is kept on this obviously ongoing case.
  4. exOT8Michael Member

I have a sneaky suspicion that some form of effective covert pressures were brought to bear on FWO between draft report and final publication content.
    Not as "OSA - tinfoil" as you might think...
  5. DeathHamster Member

6. Anonymous Member

Yah, it's not a far stretch. The draft was significantly different from the final. There are many people in our media sauces scratching their heads at the final report.

In fact, it was suggested the media leakage by Lateline and ACA may have had some basis in the final being watered down somewhat.
  7. Sponge Member

I don't know about "covert" pressures but standard scientology reactionary butthurt with constant hyperbolic badgering through open PR lines would be a given. I don't doubt that some of that could possibly take its toll on any agency not used to such persistent screaming cries of lying baaww.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Anonymous Member

It could also be they removed the items that they sent to other governmental bodies to assess. That way there isn't documentation for the cult to use against another agency.
  9. TinyDancer Member

I'm confident that there was a great deal of pressure, but that most of what came out of the draft was because, having done some more investigation, they decided (wrongly, in my view) that a key complainant was not an employee.

The FWO only has jurisdiction re employees. Without an employee, the FWO has NO POWER. So, it couldn't issue the compliance notice it was considering issuing.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Anonymous Member

Internal Scientology document lays out exactly why Scientology itself considers
    ALL SCIENTOLOGY STAFF MEMBERS to be EMPLOYEES.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Sponge Member

So, how come TodayTonight didn't do anything on this? ABC and 9 were quick off the mark but nothing from our lovely Bryan Seymour. Maybe, after looking at some of the jaw dropping anomalies in the final findings, he's perhaps taking a more measured approach and brewing up something special.
  12. TinyDancer Member

Bryan was unwell that day.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Sponge Member

Sorry to hear that. I expect he'll be his usual awesome self by now.

(I've been dying for the slimmest excuse to post that. Thank you).
    • Like Like x 8
  14. thefatman Member

That is fucking gold.

I sincerely hope that our revered leader is back to full strength now :)
  15. RightOn Member

• Like Like x 1
  16. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 2
  17. Anonymous Member

18. Anonymous Member

Megaupload is blocked here by the government. Do you have a mediafire link, or other link besides megaupload? I'd like to see this Flag Order. Thanks.
  19. jensting Member

I read that as "blocked here in a government [office]" - but that's silly, our government friends can take care of themselves :)

Best Regards

Jens

PS: Sorry, can't help :(
  20. AnonLover Member

Mirror'd here:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?djwml0l4mdq3uc3
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Anonymous Member

Thanks for the mirror.

Fair Use extract, for Google love. Link has the complete document

• Like Like x 2
  22. RolandRB Member

23. Anonymous Member

24. Albion Member

Just up at Infinite Complacency is an analysis of the Fair Work Ombudsman's
    report, comparing it with the more aggressive elements of the draft version
    that were subsequently deleted, and some reax from a couple of the ex-members
    interviewed for the report.

Best,

Jonny Jacobsen
    • Like Like x 5
  25. Jonny, terrific analysis.

Wonderful job.
  26. Anonymous Member

Jonny needs to fix those anchor links, they're absolute links pointing to the windows C: drive.
  27. Albion Member

Do you mean the numbers leading to the notes? I never worked
    out how to get them to lead down to the relevant notes: any
    suggestions welcome.
    jj
  28. Anonymous Member

<p>
    <a href="#X">See Footnote X</a> <--the link within the article to the footnote X down the page
    </p>

<p>
    <a name="X">Footnote X</a> <--put this where you want the footnote X title and text to start
    </p>
  29. Albion Member

Ooh: bit technical that. I find that whenever I try
    to edit in the blogger programme, the formatting
    falls apart. Somehow the system introduces all kinds of
    bugs -- either that or I'm computer illiterate. Yes, that
    could be it, now that I think on it...;-)
  30. Sponge Member

Church of Scientology fights over law that makes it pay 'volunteers'
    Melbourne Herald Sun. 23rd Feb 2012
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/mo...t-pay-volunteers/story-fn7x8me2-1226278718300
    [ACTU = Australian Council of Trade Unions]
    • Like Like x 2
  31. DeathHamster Member

LOL! Scientology Reverend = One week course!
    • Like Like x 2
  32. amaX Member

LOL @ "service to a spiritual cause."
    • Like Like x 2
  33. Sponge Member

bigger article...

Church of Scientology demands right to underpay workers
    • Members of religious orders have taken vow of poverty
    • Volunteers' focus not on pay but on service to cause
    • Submission more like exploitation than religion - union
    EXCLUSIVE by Joe Hildebrand
    The Daily Telegraph (and more) February 23, 2012

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...ight-to-underpay/story-e6freuzi-1226278803894
    and at....
    http://www.news.com.au/business/chu...ight-to-underpay/story-e6frfm1i-1226278848377
    http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/...ight-to-underpay/story-fn7kiea5-1226278848377
    http://www.couriermail.com.au/busin...ight-to-underpay/story-fn7kjcme-1226278848377
    http://www.perthnow.com.au/business...ight-to-underpay/story-fn7kjv7y-1226278848377
    • Like Like x 3
  34. DeathHamster Member

As if she would have sent anything out without getting issue authority first!
    • Like Like x 1
  35. Sponge Member

2087llw.jpg
    • Like Like x 5
  36. Sponge Member

http://www.workplaceexpress.com.au/index.php?keyword=scientology&sub_search=9

Review submissions: HSU pushes for easier access to arbitration; & more
    Tuesday, 21 February 2012 4:39pm
    HSU says case study highlights need for return of arbitration; Inequality the only sure result of deregulated IR, says Buchanan; Change Act to give public sector workers access to arbitration, says SPSF; and Churches should be outside Fair Work Act, Scientologists argue.

[requires subscription to read more, but you can get a free 21 day sub by filling out the web form]
  37. xenubarb Member

"Self audit?"

Are these people stupid or just naive as to the nature of Scientology's personnel????
    • Like Like x 1
  38. xenubarb Member

Izzat Lord Haw Haw Haw Haw?
  39. xenubarb Member

Of course. Because we are so very sarcastically challenged. (that was sarcasm)
  40. Sponge Member

This is the cult's submission to the Fair Work Act Review

Source: The Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations
    http://www.deewr.gov.au/WorkplaceRelations/Policies/FairWorkActReview/Documents/Anderson_Mary.pdf

Church of Scientology
    231-251 Mt. Alexander Rd.
    Ascot Vale Vic 3032.

Submission to:
    Fair Work Act Review
    Fair Work Australia
    Level 4, 11 Exhibition Street,
    Melbourne, 3000

February 15, 2012

Dear Sirs,

As a stakeholder, I would like to submit the following to the review panel:

The Fair Work Act serves a valid purpose in regard to commercial and industrial organisations; but it was never intended to cover churches and other purely volunteer organisations. Australians are entitled to volunteer their time for causes of their own choice.

There is nothing wrong with the concept: "a fair day's pay for a fair day's work" but it is misdirected when applied to religious volunteers whose focus is not on pay but on service to a spiritual cause. Historically, members of religious orders have taken a vow of poverty, embracing a life of service and eschewing financial reward At the present time, there are church volunteers who are not vowed to poverty; but who do volunteer their time and effort to church work, without focus on financial reward.

To force churches to pay these volunteers wages similar to those of commercial organisations is to treat organisations which are quite different as if they were the same. Non profit organisations are not in a position to pay award wages, and the demand that they do so is nothing less than a demand that will force the religious organisations to close. This is a violation of human rights. A review of the Fair Work Act is needed so that it does not continue to be misapplied in regard to religions.

Yours faithfully

Reverend Mary Anderson

Director of Public Affairs
    Church of Scientology
    231-251 Mt. Alexander Rd.
    Ascot Vale Vic 3032.
    • Like Like x 3