Customize

FCC "Fairness Doctrine" - Pay Attention, Net Neutrality Advocates

Discussion in 'Freedom of Expression' started by r3x, Aug 12, 2008.

1. r3x Member

FCC "Fairness Doctrine" - Pay Attention, Net Neutrality Advocates

FCC Commissioner: Return of Fairness Doctrine Could Control Web Content

2. 1Pirate Member

Re: FCC "Fairness Doctrine" - Pay Attention, Net Neutrality Advocates

AWwwwww Shit..........This will be a freaking nightmare..............
  3. Fleischmann Member

Purge that heresy, stat!
  4. Re: FCC "Fairness Doctrine" - Pay Attention, Net Neutrality Advocates

It's just a scare tactic used by a guy who thinks Comcast ought to be allowed to choke bandwidth if they don't like what you're viewing.

The "Fairness Doctrine" never even applied to Cable Television. It applied to the extremely limited number of broadcast stations available to the public.

Robert McDowell - SourceWatch

Sounds like the dude never changed bosses.

Think of it this way - the broadcast channels get to set up soapboxes on the town square. Everyone deserves an equal turn to speak, because it's public property. That's the "Fairness Doctrine" in a nutshell. The airwaves are public property, and represent a limited resource.

"The Internet" is the road (or series of tubes) :) you drive on to get to any PRIVATE store-front you want to buy any paper you want. Net neutrality is about saying that we won't allow the guy with the road concession to say that people who want to buy the Chronicle can drive 35 and people who want to buy the Tribune have to drive 15.

These are completely, totally, utterly unrelated issues.
  5. 1Pirate Member

Saw some thing on TV last week that where thy want to try to deal with cable. For the life of me I cant remember it. Something to the effect that the Fcc wanted to put its "little" fingers in the cable. Said " EVERYBODY has cable now" .....In other words.....WE WANT TO REGULATE WHAT YOU SEE AND HEAR....WE DINT CARE IF YOU PAID FOR IT...........Big brother is watching and listening.......nowdays he reads to..
  6. Re: FCC "Fairness Doctrine" - Pay Attention, Net Neutrality Advocates

Which "they"?

Very little overlap with net neutrality advocates, I assure you.

The FCC has been trying to stop stuff like Comedy Central playing the South Park movie cusswords intact, but that's comming from folks with a totally different agenda.

BTW- I ain't in favor of the "Fairness Doctrine", they're just seperate issues.
  7. 1Pirate Member

I think it was a spokesman for the Fcc....Not sure....I remember it was when the Janet Jackson case verdict came out.....Damn ....CNN, MS NBC, FOX....Thats all I do all day....and after awhile it all runs togather....Getting old is a bitch....You turn in your dad....I do believe "Somewhat " in the" Fairness Doctrine "on a PUBLIC TV station. But when I PAY for a SERVICE(key word here!!) I want to get what I pay for....And I feel I'm not ......I don't see anything happening to the internet....you hit the nail on the head...Its Private...and its all Free speech and opinion.....Damn I need coffee.....
  8. Randomness Member

9. Spylon Member

I'm against net neutrality. It's based on alarmism. srsly you guys, yahoo isn't going to take your Google away.

Just sayin'
  10. Anonyneko Member

That is perhaps the dumbest thing I've seen thus far.

Alarmism? Do you even bother watching what the politicians say and how they try to push it across? or how corporations think?

EIHGUERNGASD get off the internet. You don't need to be on here.
  11. Amoninism Member

Net Neutrality boils down to anti-monopoly laws. These "worried individuals" are just being drama queens. Yay for yellow journalism.
  12. Anonyneko Member

BECAUSE ANTI-MONOPOLY LAWS ARE BLOWN OUT OF PROPORTION.

Does the bullshit flow naturally out of your fingers, or do you have to wear special gloves?