Customize

FIFA bans hijab

Discussion in 'News And Current Events' started by Anonymous, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Anonymous Member

Iran to act against FIFA hijab ban
    http://www.presstv.ir/detail/183199.html

Iran is to file a complaint against the FIFA official, who banned the country's women football team from playing in an Olympics qualifier match, over their hijab.

“We have already held talks with the president of the International Federation of Association Football about the participation of Iranian women in matches with full Islamic hijab,” said head of the Iranian Football Federation (IFF) Ali Kaffashian.

“Unfortunately, however, I do not know why the official in charge of the matches refused to let our team play," ISNA quoted the IFF chief as saying on Saturday.

“Therefore, we will file a complaint to FIFA against the official in charge of the games,” the official added.

On Friday, a Bahraini FIFA official banned the Iranian women's national soccer team from playing against Jordan in the second round of the qualifiers for the 2012 London Olympic Games in the Jordanian capital city, Amman.

Jordan was announced to have won 3-0 after the Iranian team refused to remove their hijab.

Islamic guidelines require women to cover their hair in public, however, the FIFA woman's association requires the neck and ears to remain uncovered.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Anonymous Member

I'm curious to hear what people think about it. I personally feel bad for Iranian female athlethes that need to run around the field for 90 minutes in such heavy clothing. But I also feel that denying them the right to cover their hair is not the best solution, since it would marginalize Iranian women even further, by denying them the right to play sports.
    • Like Like x 7
  3. Anonymous Member

haha. this will be extra funny when the World Cup comes to Qatar in 2022.
  4. hushpuppy Member

^^^^
    I couldn't express my sentiments about this complex issue any better than what you just did.

We're outsiders though; anyone who's familiar with Iranian culture, please comment?
  5. Anonymous Member

I feel bad for them. But I bet several of the athletes in Iran would love to play without the hijab. They know there will be hell to pay if they did however. It takes coming to grips with BS like this and everything else in theistic countries before people start demanding more control of the right to be themselves. I know I am lucky I never had to fight as hard a Iranian women do. Iran will one day not be a theocracy. I have no idea how long that will take, but the change will come from inside...not from an invasion.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. thefatman Member

FIFA are a bunch of dickwads.

As is the Iranian government.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Anonymous Member

It's also so unfair - Iranian male athletes get to wear perfectly normal standard gear. Women, who are physically weaker anyways, are made train in Iranian hot temperatures in heavy clothing. I bet they'd love to take it off.

Anybody else noticed that the referee was from Bahrain? Bahrain is a country which is controlled by the Sunni minority, with a Shia majority in population. Bahrain is very afraid of Iran.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. lulzgasm Member

With current events being what they are, Bahrain should be more afraid of its own people than of Iran.
  9. Anonymous Member

Well, that's the thing - the ruling family, which is Sunni, is afraid of its own Shia majority, which is backed by Iran. I'm trying to say that the ruling party sees Iran as the source of its trouble. That's why I'm curious if their referee banned the team from playing out of political reasons.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Anonymous Member

If that's still goint to happen. Weren't there countries that wanted a new selection process for 2022, after Qatari FIFA official was found to be guilty of some soccer corruption?
  11. Anonymous Member

12. lulzgasm Member

I wouldn't put it past the referee.
  13. حمید Member

Let us not make a subject out of women in the name of Sport by an ignorance which only displays the inability to have understood the philosophy of Sport as Challenges, which shall internationally contribute to healthy human beings to root a cheerful triumphant behaviours of tied unity of people yet with more directed triumphant behaviours to replace and prevent the triumphant behaviours in cheerless battlefields with untied unity of people. If Sport is to substitute the battle fields,no symblic, is to favor the battle in favour of the triumphant behaviours.
  14. Anonymous Member

They just elected the same president (who had no one run against him) who lets the corruption happen.
    Anyone who wanted to run against him would need a FIFA member country to officially nominate him/her...but none would becaue they knoew they would suffer a backlash. That tells you just how corrupt they are.
  15. Anonymous Member

What? I think I understand, but you are treading into word salad territory.
  16. حمید Member

Glad,That was the whole point.

Actually, I could not find any other word than that. But be my guest and provide me some from your lunch box.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Anonymous Member

I change my mind. I cannot translate that into English.
  18. iraniam Member

19. xenubarb Member

I'm not sure I get what you're saying. Yes, sport is meant to be a challenge, but impairing your players by making them wear extra things that impairs peripheral vision is beyond "challenge" and edging into the realm of stupidity.

Sport as war replacement; yes, I can kind of see that football here (not to be confused with soccer) arouses many passions amongst spectators, including nationalism in football form, where "We're Number One" can mean the spectators, the team's city, or a blanket of win for the entire enchilada.

This team loyalty is not returned by teams that may jump ship to another city with a better offer. Then much whining and bawwing is heard throughout the land.

So...sport is good, sport is a challenge. Where does that leave the women in hijabs? I can only imagine what the Iranian Swim Team has to wear...
    • Like Like x 2
  20. حمید Member

Those "extra things" are regarded as symbols. a symbol favourable to cheerful
    is unfavorable to cheerless and vice versa, it is therefore in favour of the triumphant behaviours. In one term you may call it "doping"

That is the whole point as how sport plays to serve as the battlefields of peace. How long does the destruction of the cheerless, based on "nationalism", "We're Number One" lasts, before preparations that gives the next chanse.
  21. Anonymous Member

Not sure where you learned English...but get your money back.
  22. حمید Member

Keep it in return for the bump.
    • Like Like x 1
  23. xenubarb Member

Okay, you're going to have to try and rephrase this. The 'extra things' I'm referring to are the hijabs. I do not understand your use of the word "cheerful" in this context, because I would not be cheerful if I had to wear a thing on my head, any more than a falcon is cheerful about having her head stuffed into a hood.
  24. حمید Member

Those "extra things(hijabs)" are regarded as symbols. a symbol favourable to cheerful
    is unfavorable to cheerless and vice versa, it is therefore in favour of the triumphant behaviours. In one term you may call it "doping"

Cheerfulness and cheerlessness are both triumphant behaviours.
  25. Anonymous Member

I have no idea what it means. Are you using some sort of proverb that doesn't exist in English?
    Can't you just say if you personally are for or against the use of hijabs in soccer?
  26. lulzgasm Member

You're asking Yoda to give a straight answer?
  27. Anonymous Member

^^^ LOL
    I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, since English is not his first language.
    But for the life of me I could not understand the connection between hijab and the cheerful and the lack of hijab and the cheerless. It sounds like something that an Imam would say, quoting some religios book that makes women cover their hair.
    Kind of like when you ask somebody Muslim about their attitue towards dogs they'd tell you "angels don't enter a house that has a dog".
  28. حمید Member

I think the spirit of sport lies in the fact that it is politically, religiously, racially.... independent. It will therefore not be of supportive spirit to be if it is dependent genderly to be misused politically, religiously, racially....
    How difficult have that been, not to have been understood as a "NO", "Against" without leaving a bargaining posibility open.
  29. xenubarb Member

I think you are saying that sport, as a social activity, stands apart from other worldly troubles and concerns? And as such, women who do not wish to play in a hijab should not be forced to?
    • Like Like x 1
  30. حمید Member

These are cheerless. Find a picture of the cheerful, they would suppose to match and study the behaviour as triumphant behaviours.

pb-110603-veil-shulman_2.photoblog900.jpg
  31. Anonymous Member

This thread proves that why we protest and anonymous are just ignorant of other religious beliefs and just generaly distrust any islamic custom.
    BTW not muslim
  32. حمید Member

That was too harsh. This thread is in fact about caring less for religious spirit to symbolically not disrupt the spirit of sports.
    There are allways situations that seem to be as if a campain of any thing, but this is the way zero tolarance is suposed to contribute in the society, in this case, this forum.
    • Like Like x 1
  33. kittypark Member

I don't see any harm from them wearing a hi-jab. Its part of there belief system, and I may not be a religion type of person but if its causing no harm, why must people keep banning it? I understand how in some places women are FORCED to do so, and abused, stoned, etc for disobeying. but there are many women who practice it because they choose to.
    • Like Like x 1
  34. حمید Member

This not about, interfering or preventing people from having or not having hijab if they want or they do not want. This is about letting soprts to be free from politics, religion,....showing it by symbols such as a hijab, a cross....
  35. kittypark Member

I know what you mean, but I think that would be too hard. People will always (almost always) give thanks to a god, use some items like crosses as good luck charms. That I see not much harm in, but definitely shouldn't be preaching during games.
  36. حمید Member

Unfortunately a religious symbol is a symbol regardless of religion.
  37. Anonymous Member

I don't get that a religious group should be entitled to a special, religious uniform that is possibly distracting and dangerous to the wearer.
    What happens if the hijab accidentally comes off in a public game?
    It's a rough contact sport.
  38. Anonymous Member

Put on your yamake
    It's time for hanukah
    Once again it's onaka
  39. Anonymous Member

By the way - it's not the first time this issue comes up. In that Al-Jazeera video the Iranian soccer official was complaining that the ban was very sudden and nobody engaged in negotiations with them. A similar issue came up before, and FIFA allowed Iranians to play, if they wear caps, rather than hijabs. The caps were supposed to leave the neck and ears uncovered.
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/SPORT/football/05/03/iran.hijab.women.fifa/index.html
  40. Anonymous Member

I am aware of various religious beliefs...I just think a lot of them are lame and holdovers of patriarchal cultures that treat women as second class. All the "Abrahamic " religions do this.. I don't get butthurt if a religious person says I am going to hell, and I expect a religious person to not get butthurt if I think their beliefs are silly. Adults should be able to discuss this sort of thing openly.
    • Like Like x 2