Customize

Flickr, Scientology and Censorship

Discussion in 'Freedom of Expression' started by marklowell99, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Flickr, Scientology and Censorship

17 December 2008 - Flickr deleted my photo sharing account without notice today. I had over 500 photographs that I took relating to Scientology including photographs of special events in Los Angeles, Sea Org members and staff members.

One of my photographs was the lead photo in a Los Angeles Television broadcast on Scientology street closures and another photograph of shipping containers stacked along Sunset Blvd made into Radar Magazine's website.

I have received several thank you messages from family members and former Sea Org members who have seen photos of long lost family members and friends who have been cut off from them because of Scientology's Disconnection policy. I have also received thanks from current Scientologists who have appreciated seeing photos Sea Org members who were served with their founder L. Ron Hubbard during the early days of the Sea Org.

In response to my email inquiry, a member of Flickr's Customer Service Team replied, "Flickr account "ml_99" was deleted by Flickr staff for violating our Terms of Service and Community Guidelines". I deny violating any of Yahoo's Terms of Services and I have asked them for clarification and to restore my Flickr account. Flickr has yet to respond to my request for clarification.
  2. the anti Member

Re: Flickr, Scientology and Censorship

seems they are stepping up there game lately.
  3. Snake Member

Harp the manpoons!

Mark's pics are incredibly useful in many different ways!
  4. Haruhi Member

Flickr: Report Abuse

>Other Concerns

Code:
    I'm reporting abuse on the following page:
    http://flickr.com/photos/ml_99/
    ----

GOGOGO
  5. Masanon Member

If they're still in your HD, try to reupload elsewhere.
  6. Re: Flickr, Scientology and Censorship

Wait, doesn't that say that you have a problem with ml_99's account? like, you're offended by it, instead of the other way around?
  7. Re: Flickr, Scientology and Censorship

The correct account URL would be: http://flickr.com/photos/10235811@N07
  8. Re: Flickr, Scientology and Censorship

Flickr staff hate the word censorship, yet the word comes up a lot in their help forums. Accounts get killed there often, sometimes with good reason, sometimes not.

Once an account is deleted there, its gone, unrecoverable.

What would be the objective of harpoons or raids?

Could raise hell in their 'help forum', might lead to other Chanology photos getting zapped.
  9. mrfyde Member

Maybe so but still need to do the follow up.
  10. anmoyunos Member

I'm interested in seeing how this pans out.
  11. rof Member

hmmm, yes, . . . flickr

also that bending robot is becoming one of my favorite brain dumpsters
  12. Re: Flickr, Scientology and Censorship

Absolutely for sure, but what? Flickr accounts can't be restored, harpoons won't change that. As a strict policy, they'll only communicate with the account holder about such issues.

Flamethrowers might be the correct response, depending on the explanation they give Mark. Could unleash an army of sock puppets in their help forum to address the issues with some added Chanology PR at the same time.

I want to see the answer they give Mark, and what TOS violation they claim was made.

Curious thing, usually when accounts are deleted there, they can be somewhat recovered through Google's cache. But...

Flickr: ml_99's Photostream

all the pictures the are gone already. Rather strange.

Flickr sucks at free speech and customer relations, always have.
  13. Relyt Member

Isn't Flickr owned by Yahoo?
  14. Re: Flickr, Scientology and Censorship

Reading through the descriptions from the cache, I predict flickr will say the violation was:
    Flickr tends to delete accounts that have slightest chance of being viewed as 'stalking'.
  15. Optimisticate Member

Yes.
  16. AnonLover Member

new spin on same old dirty tricks. perhaps this is worthy of reporting to gawker tips email/hotline listed on the home page?

there's a larger slice of human interest angles to this story than other stuff they ran, plus mention could be made of the other recent vid squashing crusades over armstrong on moxon and AO getting manhandling. adding Flickr censorship into the mix makes it even more interesting.
  17. the anti Member

18. anmoyunos Member

As I've already said, I'm definitely interested in seeing where this goes.

On the other hand, looking at my groups and how many users/photos are in them, I don't think they're really terminating anyone without reason. We do have supporters in both Yahoo and Flickr staff, you realize.

* Evil Scientology (372 members) 3,618 items
    * Anonymous Global (132 members) 7,818 items
    * Anonymous Worldwide Raids and Shenanigans (207 members) 10,194 items
    * Scientology Protests (134 members) 6,783 items
    * Anonymous San Francisco (43 members) 1,509 items
    * Scientology (18 members) 1,639 items
  19. Optimisticate Member

Did you file a counternotice yet?
  20. Vir Member

If no reasonable resolution:
    1: Make torrent/upload archive of all photos, including information about what they show
    2: Make licensing clear
    3: Spread on the internet
    3.5: Run a program which makes the image hash different for everyone on all photos.
    4: Everone Streisands it on Flickr.

Does that sound good?
  21. Re: Flickr, Scientology and Censorship

Fuck it, I liked Photobucket better anyway.
  22. anmoyunos Member

Photobucket sucks balls, and besides, all you fuckwits are getting bent out of shape over nothing so far.

I've not heard a single other report of Anon photos being taken down- and mere speculation as to why this account was taken down.

Don't be retards.
  23. Vir Member

Yeah. Waiting for confirmation first. These companies have emails, phones and faxes. It's just a matter of escalating the complaint in a polite and timely manner until you get an answer.
  24. iaxiloll Member

Maybe someone bawwed.
  25. Delta Member

That's usually the reason stupid shit happens.
  26. Optimisticate Member

Flickr censorship made big news last year. Just a google search for the two terms brings up plenty, including German censorship of the site. It's happened before unfortunately.