Customize

Food Food Food (Recipes you REALLY make)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by subgenius, Nov 6, 2011.

1. subgenius Member

(Rules: Gotta be easy, quick, and the ingredients commonly available)

I gotta stop watching PBS cooking shows.

Tried a recipe for French omelet today and it actually worked well:
    3 eggs, 1 without the white (I used 4, so sue me)
    salt, pepper
    cheeze, chives (I used chopped onion and mozzarella, its all I had)

Heat your omelet pan on low for 10 minutes with a tsp of oil while you freeze a tbsp of butter you've cut into 4 quarters

Beat eggs briskly for 80 beats, no more, no less, add salt/pepper

Wipe the oil (mostly) out of the pan, add 1 tbsp butter to pan now on medium, wait for butter to stop foaming

Add the frozen butter to eggs and add to pan

Scramble the eggs in the pan with chopsticks, or the end of a wooden spoon, then smooth it out, take off the heat, sprinkle on cheeze, chives (or presumably whatever), cover and let stand to desired doneness
    You can roll it up in the French style and alter to your culinary desires
    • Like Like x 4
  2. subgenius Member

BTW, my new passion is cooking on cast iron, which is what I used for the above.
    A 12" skillet, although a smaller omelet pan is preferable.
  3. Damn it! 81 beats.....going out for more eggs.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. xenubarb Member

Koch au Vin:

Take one billionaire...
    • Like Like x 2
  5. subgenius Member

81?
    You're fucked.

(There's actually science to the 80 thing, but I doubt anyone could distinguish 81-85)
  6. subgenius Member

No thanks. Trying to keep my cast iron stink-free.
  7. HellRazor Member

English muffin egg sandwich. Time to prepare: 2 minutes.

1 English muffin,
    1 egg
    cheese
    slice of ham (optional)
    salt, pepper to taste
    ketchup (optional)

Toast English muffin. Break egg into a small (about the diameter of the English muffin) microwavable bowl or dish. Break egg yolk with a fork, cover bowl with plastic wrap and pierce this cover with fork 3 times. Microwave egg on high power for 1 minute (time varies of course with power of the oven). Remove English muffin from toaster, top with a slice of cheese (and ham if desired), top with egg, salt/pepper/ketchup.
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Anonymous Member

Tortilla and egg

Put egg in cup with butter and nuke for 20 sec. Stir and re nuke for 20 sec. Repeat until desired firmness.
    Pop a small tortilla in the toaster. Add a little butter when done.
    Nom nom

Banana/Strawberry smoothie

2 bananas
    frozen strawberries
    Bolthouse Farms Vanilla Chai Tea

Prepare and blend during a commercial break.
    Yum!
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Strixcoil Moderator

The Brutal Onion Pizza

Needed
    Pre-made pizza or pizza dough
    Onions (red, common and welsh)
    Fines Herbes (Basil, Oregano and parsley)
    Mozzarella cheese
    Seed mixture (Linseeds, sesame seeds and chia)

Optional:
    Pizza spice ( a dust-like mix of pepper's dust, basil, oregano and garlic)
    Garlic tooths - 1 for each person (goes to the sauce pan along the onions)
    Another cheese to go along with the Mozzarella

First and foremost, get the oven going so you don't have to wait FOREVER for your pizza to finish. Get ready your sauce pan as well, since it has to be hot.

Get a pre-made pizza without tomato sauce or with really low quantity of it.* Add oregano, basil (always cut with your fingers, never with knife!), seeds (linseed, sesame, chia) parsley and dried garlic over it in a "rain" like manner. Sing while you do this, it makes you feel stupid.

Feel daring? ADD PIZZA SPICE!
    It has dried cayenne pepper's dust, so that can make everyone get slightly "burning alive". No one expects the spanish inquisition and a spicy onion pizza! DO IT FOR THE LULZ!

In an already hot frying pan do the red onions, common onions and welsh onion with just a little oregano and olive oil. Add neatly cut fresh garlic if you want, but it's not necessary. Always the red and common onions first, the welsh onion the last since it's more sensible than the other two.
    Do them for three minutes, enough for them to being cocked but also not over cocked. (Watch for the common onion to be slightly transparent. That should do it)

- Remember to turn off the fire when leaving the frying pan with the rest of the onions...I burned them once. Horrible experience -

Spread nicely the onions over the pizza, around 1/3 of what's in the pan. Save the rest to spread it over the mozzarella.

Cut the mozzarella in "discs", so it's more easy to settle down in the pizza. Use as extra "cheese" flavor any cheese you might want...I prefer Mozzarella myself, but softer cheese can make it just fine along the way, always that they don't get over the mozzarella in taste.

Make again a nice rain of oregano, basil, seeds, parsley and garlic over the cheese. Add the rest of the onions that were in the frying pan, always spread nicely what you add, so it reaches all the pizza.

Take your pizza and send it right to the oven.
    After 10 minutes or so in the oven, the pizza should be ready. Mozzarella tends to melt slowly, so if you take out the pizza to watch and is all melted (to help you, remember that it should look like lava), then it's ready.

*My mother says she would teach me one day how to make the pizza dough, but probably David Miscavige would grow 3 inches before that. More easy to use already "made" pizzas without the ingredients (you know, that simple ones that have the saddest quantity of tomato sauce in the world) .

Also... /r/ a nice recipe with curry!
    • Like Like x 3
  10. subgenius Member

I've been on a pizza making binge lately, thanks for that.
  11. Triumph Member

Cheesy Crab Meat sandwiches

Melt 16 oz Velveta Cheese in a double boiler with 1 stick of butter..(if you don't have a double boiler use two pots..add water to the bigger pot..and melt the cheese mixture in the smaller one nesting inside the big one) add a dash of Worcestershire sauce...salt to taste 2 cans crab meat 6 oz each, rinsed and strain...add to the Melted cheese... heat for a minute

put the mixture on hamburger buns "openfaced" on a baking pan place under the broiler 2 minutes.. till brown and bubbly....
    set the broiler on low.. keep the oven door open a crack....

tinfoil to avoid messy cleanup...

easy and quick enjoy

makes quite a bit...cut the recipe in half for less people...

the whole thing takes less that 10 minutes to prepare

shalots or green onions ..chopped fine mushrooms from a jar ...red peppers from a jar or olives works with it...

or make your own garlic butter...
    its all good...
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Anonymous Member

Velveeta =/= cheese.
  13. subgenius Member

I am saving up for this:
    [IMG]
    The Lodge Cast Iron charcoal hibachi-style grill is perfect for picnics and tailgating. Draft door regulates the heat and coals are accessible behind a flip-down door. Grill has two adjustable heights. Grates and grill body are foundry seasoned.
    • Like Like x 3
  14. Anonymous Member

its made from real cheese but its processed and pasteurized
    it has Milk and Milk Fat and Cheese Culture
    its classified as a pasteurized process cheese spread

your just nitpicking Aryan cheese monger snob
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Strixcoil Moderator

Your welcome. Post pics later, I always wondered how my recipes would look when done by someone else.

______
    I add this one today, since it's my favorite one. Ever.
    Always wins, never fails. Everyone in my family loves it, even though they end up crying for water later. LOL

Mustard Oriental Chicken
    (goes for 2 persons. If you have more people in there, add another chicken breast)

Chicken breast - 1
    Soy Sauce
    Lemon Juice
    Common Mustard
    Onions (common and welsh/green/chives)
    Bell Pepper (green and red) - 1/2 of each
    Garlic - 1 tooth for each person
    Radishes - 2 (Optional)
    Fine herbs - Basil, Oregano, Parsley, Tarragon
    Broth (that one that comes in cubes) - 1

Seeds - Linseed, Sesame, Chia

To add more "oriental" attitude to the dish, try to get yourself a "spice mixture" that contain the following: Coriander - Paprika - laurel - salt - basil - rosemary- thyme- parsley. It would give a small "Indian" taste for the chicken, without going for curry.

Before I start, I want to point something: I like my food as I like my men...spicy, tasteful and with tons of flavors. You can rule out some of the spices if you feel it's too much. I like my meals to have tons of flavors, textures and smells...that's the way I roll. But I recognize that maybe not everyone is done for such a tsunami of flavors in one dish.

Wash your chicken breast with water and proceed to cut it in "fat" slices or squares, taking care to trim the fat. Try your best to make them kind of small (guide with your ring finger or pinky one). In a bowl just mix soy sauce, lemon juice and mustard with some tarragon or just-a-guess of cayenne pepper's dust or paprika. JUST-A-GUESS, not too much. At your own risk, bro.

Leave inside the fridge or in a fresh place of the kitchen so it marinates. I prefer to leave it in the fridge since it seems to marinate faster. While it marinates start to chop the vegetables. Always keep vegetables in different recipients, so they don't mix and don't accidently burn the whole. Peppers should be cut in dicing-like style, onions and radishes in Julienne. Garlic can be whole or cut in julienne as well.

Get your frying pan ready again, get it hot for the olive oil. Spread the oil nice and smoothly, like a good lover, and take out the frying pan just for 2 minutes from the fire so it can cool down a bit. (I never use the frying pan way too hot with oil...I fear to burn myself and it also seems to make the onion more neatly for a strange reason)

Get the common onion going and get the chicken right at your side. Make the frying pan go over the fire again and wait for that point when the onion gets slightly transparent (that means, sealed). When you see it, toss the chicken WITHOUT the liquid on the pan. Cook for 3 minutes and add the peppers, then the garlics (can be entire tooths or you can dice them out). Start to add in rain-like fashion the fine herbs and the spice-mix, and after 7 minutes check the chicken, moving everything around the frying pan once in a while so it cooks neatly.
    If you see that the chicken is kind-of almost ready, add the liquid where it marinated and then it's time to add broth.

(Around this time you can also add seeds again!)

To do so, prepare the broth in a jar with hot water and dissolve it.
    Add the broth to the pan, doing it from the border of the frying pan so it goes slowly to the center (the hottest part). You can go for saffron on here, but truth is that it's way expensive so I just don't include it.
    That's when you can finally get the radishes going, for around five minutes or more. Chicken should be done perfectly inside, no pink line or anything. Taste it for extra awesomeness.

It would be ready when almost all the liquid dried out and the peppers/radishes seem kind of soft. The broth would give the last cook for the chicken to be ready, keep that in mind. Take everything from the frying pan into a big ceramic/plastic bowl, add seeds if you like and off you go.

Where you can use this? Well, I like to eat it as taco's filling, or with rice/pasta...or just by itself.
    Delicious in any sense of it.
  16. xenubarb Member

I am not familiar with what is a welsh onion. It better not be just another onion, because I am still butthurt over vegetable marrows. FFS, if I'd known it was just zucchini I would'na ordered it! We got zucchini here.
  17. Sonichu Moderator

1214457398930.jpg

Eggy in a basket

Ingredients:

Butter for frying
    One slice of bread
    one egg
    Salt and pepper to taste

Cut a hole in the slice of bread. Save the cut out.

Heat the butter in the pan, just to the point where it is evaporating.

Toss bread and cut out into the pan, quickly flip bread so the melted butter is coating both sides.

Drop a small bit of butter in the hole of the bread. Allow butter melt.

Crack the egg into the hole. The egg will absorb and cook into the bread.

Allow the egg to cook completely on one surface, then flip the bread.

Cook egg to desired doneness.

You can use this recipe to spice up the next toasted sandwich you make as well, by just doing this quick recipe to make your egg in a basket, then use the bread for a delicious sammich.
    • Like Like x 4
  18. DeathHamster Member

And? Throw cut out to the squirrels?
  19. Sonichu Moderator

Naw... the little cut out part you can fry up to, and just eat it. You could throw it to the squirrels if you were particularly found of the fauna outside your abode.

Edit:I'm making a ton of typos today.... FRY UP TOO*
  20. AnonLover Member

I've had this thing (all summer long) for Hungarian Cucumber Salad done my way.

Take the usual recipe: http://recipes.robbiehaf.com/H/294.htm

But use a red onion instead of white & add shredded cheddar to the final mix.

Plus let the cider vinegar pickle overnight beforehand (in the fridge) with extra garlic cloves, chives, celery salt & a shot of cucumber juice drained off from the salted cukes when you commence to make it.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm!
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Anonymous Member

American cheeze fuud.
  22. Strixcoil Moderator

At first I understood that the onion I use was the welsh onion, then that it's the green onion... I know for sure it's an onion (sorry barb), since the taste and texture is those of onions, garlic and celery.
    [IMG]
    ^It's this one. Can Yankee guys tell me which onion is?

Zucchini is something that I haven't tried to do myself yet. :(
  23. xenubarb Member

It's called a "purple green onion," so I guess it's just a color variation of the regular green onion. Like yellow watermelons or weird colored broccoli, growers like to fuck with our shit.
  24. Triumph Member

Toad in a Hole ^^^

Living in the states..a friend asked do you want a "Toad in a Hole" I said Hell Yea!
    a slice of home...bring it

View attachment images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRtVEOu_cDlaamWBUopNmXXG-h4bQIww
    ^Being from Liverpool originally I was expecting this
    [IMG]
    what I got was this.... bleh^ tricked ..bleedin un-fruit in terast (toast)
  25. xenubarb Member

My secret for Perfect Halibut:

Halibut is a delicious fish when properly cooked. The problem is, it can go from succulent and perfect to dried out in the time it takes you to sneeze. Even if you're cooking it wrapped in foil, it will dry out.

The secret is in taking the fish off the heat before it's done. There should be a 1/4" pink line in the middle. It keeps cooking for a few minutes, so if you get it off the heat at just the right moment, it will be perfection on your plate.

This is true of all fish, but most fish is pretty forgiving if you overcook it a little. Nothing dries out like halibut. Even in restaurants, they often serve up a dry, chewy waste of a good 'but.
    • Like Like x 1
  26. xenubarb Member

Lower pic is what comes up when you google 'toah' I don't even know what that upper thing is, a big omelette with sossages?
    My favorite dish names from England:
    Toad in a Hole
    Spotted Dick

With names that bad, it's GOTTA be good!
  27. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  28. Triumph Member

its english sausages .in Yourshire puddin-usually smothered in with some onion gravy...

if yer from tay town its ..."Terad inna 'ole"
    • Like Like x 1
  29. subgenius Member

This I am going to try soon.
    Believe it or not, I've never had Velveeta (to my knowledge), and despite a reputation, I've also heard good things.
    If one is Velveeta-intolerant, one could probably substitute/adjust.

Teaser:
    I bought powdered buttermilk today.
    (I guess what is sold....in the US anyway...as buttermilk, is not.)
    Hint: for waffles.

I'm gonna try those damn egg in a bread hole thingies, too.
    • Like Like x 1
  30. subgenius Member

I imagine if you want your egg truly sunny side up, cook the bread on one side, flip, then add egg and cook to preferred doneness.
    • Like Like x 2
  31. Sonichu Moderator

i suppose yeah, if you only wanted one side of the egg cooked. Still, even when I do sunny side up, I still cook the sunny side a bit.
  32. subgenius Member

I have saved this recipe and will make soon.
    It fits all of the criteria very nicely.
  33. subgenius Member

In my town they call that "over easy".
    I'm actually an "over medium" guy.
    Your recipe allows for good variation.
  34. xenubarb Member

There are no uncooked sides to a SSU egg. It cooks up from the bottom and, done properly, shouldn't put any snot on your fork.
    • Like Like x 1
  35. Triumph Member

Hot Brown...good stuff!
    • Like Like x 1
  36. subgenius Member

gonna get to that one
    tried to copypasta it from the site but failed for now
  37. DeathHamster Member

Around here, in the supermarket bakery sections, they usually have balls of dough in a cooler/freezer. When you want to make pizza, stick it in a large bowl with a cloth over it and let it warm up slowly in a very slightly warm oven. Once the yeast wakes up and it rises again, take it out and pound it into your pizza tray/dish. It's much better than those Kraft Pizza mix types, but you might have to experiment a couple times to match the amount of dough to the pan.
  38. Mark Cabian Member

This is so easy, it's barely a recipe:

1 English cucumber (or Persian, or any soft-skinned cuke) - if not available or too expensive, use a conventional 'cuke but peel the skin with a vegetable peeler, as it has wax on it, and the texture sucks.

Slice 'cuke to the thickness you like. Typically about 1/4".

Place sliced 'cuke in a small mixing bowl.

Sprinkle with Rice Wine Vinegar. This can be found in the isle of your market where Japanese food is.

Optional: Red onion, sliced as thin as you can. Very little is needed. Toss with 'cuke slices/vin.

Wait 5 min. - 1 hour.

Serve.

PREPARATION TIME: 3 MINUTES.
    • Like Like x 2
  39. Mark Cabian Member

Chefs trick: When making a fried egg (of any style - over easy, sunny-side up, etc.) only salt the white, not the yolk. Salt the white as much as your prefer. This is done most easily by sprinkling with a pinch of salt with your fingers. It is easier to control this way. Invest in Kosher salt for all your cooking, faggot gourmand!
    • Like Like x 1
  40. Miranda Member

2 Junky Recipes That Are Good

Pink Lemonade Pie
    9 oz. Cool Whip
    1 small can pink lemonade concentrate
    1 can sweetened condensed milk
    1 graham cracker crust

Mix the first three ingredients. Pour into the crust. Freeze. Eat.
    Prep time: 1 minute

Coke Ribs

1 liter of Coca Cola
    Ribs
    Fresh ginger and garlic

Put a liter of Coke in a pot. Add some fresh grated ginger and pressed garlic. Add the ribs and boil. Eat.

The hilarious thing is that everyone I've fed that too asks for the recipe, then blanches when I tell them.
    • Like Like x 3