Customize

Food Food Food (Recipes you REALLY make)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by subgenius, Nov 6, 2011.

1. Enturbulette Member

Straight from Grandma's campfire!

Possum Stew

Humanely trap and skin your possum. Make sure it is dead and not just playing dead.

Once you get your possum turned out and cleaned you will need:

8 Big Free Range Potatoes
    2 big spoons of Butter (Ghee is acceptable)
    1 big spoon of Brown Sugar
    a pinch or two of organic Sea Salt
    Thyme, Marjoram or Pepper to taste
    1 cooking pot with a good tight lid
    (Welsh Onions and sliced Marrow optional)

Put the possum in the pot with just enough water to keep it from burning, cover with a good tight lid. Wait until your possum has stewed for about an hour before you place the taters and optional veggies if using along the sides of the possum and mix in sugar, salt and your choice of thyme, marjoram or pepper to taste.
    Every 15 minutes or so spoon the juices over the possum. When the possum is tender and the meat falls off the bones mix in a little organic whole wheat flour to thicken into a brown gravy.

Vegetarian Possum Stew Same as above but omit possum.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Anonymous Member

FIFY
    • Like Like x 2
  3. lulzgasm Member

COFFEE!!COFFEE!!COFFEE!!COFFEE!!COFFEE!!COFFEE!!COFFEE!!COFFEE!!
    COFFEE!!COFFEE!!COFFEE!!COFFEE!!COFFEE!!COFFEE!!COFFEE!!COFFEE!!
    MOCHA!!MOCHA!!
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Sonichu Moderator

Home made mocha ala sonichu:

Brew a strong cup of coffee, (About 8oz hot water and a 2 tbl Scoop of grinds Whatever method you prefer)

Add Mik and Chocolate sauce of your choice, (Hershey's Is my brand)

Vary the amounts of milk and chocolate with the coffee.

Enjoy.
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Sonichu Moderator

For improved flavor, (and if you have the time)

Put milk and chocolate sauce into a pan, bring to a rolling boil, while whisking, to build up a nice foam.

when At desired consistency/ temperature, remove from heat, and add to coffee

You can use just about anything to make the chcolate part.

In a pinch, hershey's works, if you want to get fancy, use some exotic cocoa powder.

I've used Mint, and peanut butter flavored powders before. I think if you have Abuelita's Chocolate, that would go well with coffee.

Play around with the proportions. That's really the way to learn how to cook, experimenting, and trying new things. Understand how certain ingredients react with each other and heat, and mess around with the taste, texture etc.

But most importantly, make sure you handle food safely. This includes things like cooking temperature, germ prevention etc.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Anonymous Member

The beans get mixed with raw vegetables in a big bowl, for a large cold salad.

I have rolled oats every morning for breakfast. (No photos of oats). Rolled oats are like a less processed version of oatmeal, basically just oats that are split and then lightly toasted to preserve it. Regular oatmeal takes about 1 minute to cook. Rolled oats usually take 15 minutes or so to cook. I soak my rolled oats, uncooked, in cold milk for 2 hours, to soften them up. The milk also provides protein.

Whole grain plus whole beans combined provides all 18 amino acids to make a complete protein. No, you don't need to have the grains and beans at the same meal, just eat them the same day. No single vegetable provides a complete protein with all 18 amino acids, so the idea is to combine 2 or more types of vegetables to get what your body needs.

Most people prefer mixing whole rice with beans, but I'm not a big fan of rice. Also, rice has a fairly high glycemic index, which I'm most definitely trying to avoid.

Regularly eating the veggies as pictured earlier without also eating a whole grain such as oats or rice would be unhealthy, due to lack of protein. Yes, I did quite a bit of digging around to come up with what I considered an ideal food combination for me, with all essential nutrition. I'm not making any claims, or trying to foist this on anyone. I think its very healthy, but most people would probably have a difficult time following this, I tend to think.

Different colors of veggetables have different nutritional properties (vitamins, minerals), which is why it is important to have lots of different colors and types of raw vegetables, not just "greens".
  7. Anonymous Member

Was this quite a change in diet for you? I'm seriously contemplating trying it. I particularly like the organization of it - and being able to keep it fresh for a week. It would make life much simpler for me, meal-wise. I bet the weight pretty much melted off. Am I correct?
  8. Anonymous Member

It's not exactly new. I had experimented on and off over the years of starting to eat healthier. About a year ago, I got more serious about it. And the photos posted earlier, I've been on that system non-stop now for about 6 months. It's more efficient time-wise to mass produce it once a week.

Weight loss was not my initial consideration. But I did end up losing a bunch of fat, without getting particularly hungry. It's a lot of vegetables to eat. You can also add in some boiled chicken breast if you want meat. Don't fry the chicken, just boil skinless chicken breast, its low fat, low cholesterol, maybe add some black pepper for seasoning (I avoid salt)

If you want to try something like this veggie system, ease into it. Suddenly eating large amounts of raw vegetables and high fiber beans will get you seriously constipated very easily if you suddenly increase your fiber intake, if you don't also increase your liquid intake.

I used to get a bit gassy about a year ago, but for 6 months now, my gut has sufficient suitable bacteria or whatever to digest the beans and raw veggies without any problem, without gas.

I've gotten in the habit of drinking a full glass of water at least once every waking hour. It flushes out the system. And if I don't drink lots of plain water, I'll get kidney stones again. Those suckers are excruciating, had kidney stones too many times before, don't want them ever again.

This food program I devised was primarily for trying to take care of my health , but I guess it would also work for losing weight. Don't really know, I'm not a doctor, and not a nutrition expert. This is just what works for me, so I'm sticking to it.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Anonymous Member

Thanks for the information! I would be trying it for the health gains more than weight loss, although that could be an added benefit. I mentioned weight loss because you mentioned losing 60 (I think) pounds, which is significant. I have friends doing that dumb hcg diet right now, trying to survive on 500 calories and pregnant-woman-hormone injections, because they want to lose a lot of weight. I am looking for new and HEALTHY alternatives to show them.

I had a kidney stone once. It was the worst pain I've ever encountered.
  10. socacity Member

• Like Like x 2
  11. Tangerine Member

I was surprised at all the peppers! I guess you like spicy.

pepper.jpg
  12. slobeck Member

Nice photos!! And what a lovely kitchen iyou have. I say this with love from a person who's desk looks like a war was fought on it; OCD much?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. slobeck Member

Am I wrong to think that to be called kosher each ingredient must be kosher which, technically, means that it has been prayed over by a Rabbi. So ... If you make this cake with regular ingredients from your averave supermarket that are not expressly kosher, then it follows that the cake is also not kosher? ... I'm not sure I understand "kosher" very well.
  14. slobeck Member

I would higly recommend Dagoba Cacao products. Without going into handcrafted cacao products, this is the best chocolate I know of.
    If you're a chocolate fan and need a good syrup and can afford a big pro-sized bottle.

but otherwise the powder is off the hook. It comes in cacao powder (unsweetened) and a few varieties of "drinking" powders.

[IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Anonymous Member

/r/ new initiative:

Anonymous Cook Book
    • Like Like x 3
  16. muldrake Member

Actually, a certification process merely guarantees that something is kosher. Pretty much any vegetable is kosher unless something has happened to it, such as contact with treif (unclean foods like pork). Some may insist on the blessing, but it is not necessary for the majority of Jews, even Orthodox Jews. The Orthodox Union label (and other stricter labels) offers merely the peace of mind that the food is guaranteed kosher.

Some mostly Orthodox Jews insist that any prepared food have a Jew involved in the preparation, but this can be something as pro forma as a Jew stirring the pot for a minute.
  17. LocalSP Member

http://jezebel.com/5865579/add-rice-to-the-list-of-foods-that-will-kill-you

Add ‘Rice’ To The List of Foods That Will Kill You

New research from the Department of Creating Concern has found that people who eat more rice have elevated levels of arsenic in their bodies. This bodes especially poorly for pregnant women and people who enjoy nothing more than a big bowl of rice washed down by a glass of arsenic-laden apple juice. If you do this, please stop. While this flavor combination make make you feel unbelievably nutritionally fortified, ensuing slow and painful death will follow you like a thief in the night.
    CBS reports that the study measured arsenic levels in the urine of pregnant women in New Hampshire. Study participants were asked to provide a drinking water sample and write down everything they'd eaten in the three days prior to the pee test. Even when accounting for arsenic levels in drinking water, researchers found that rice eaters had slightly higher levels of inorganic arsenic in their urine. Apparently inorganic arsenic is the "bad" kind of arsenic, the kind that's toxic in high levels. In other news, there's such thing as arsenic that isn't the "bad" kind.
  18. none given Member

Mac-n-cheeze stuff:

The following hacks improve boxed mac-n-cheese:
    1/4 lb ground beef per box. add the (cooled) grease instead of margarine or butter.
    1 (6 oz.can) tuna per 2 boxes.
    Bird meat: chicken, turkey, pigeon, no one cares: 4 oz;pkt.
    any ramin flavor packets left over or other bullion/ flavor packets/ 6 drops soy sauce.
    2 oz. beef jerky (soak w/ 2 teaspoon of water/ oil first.
    any real cheese; even that dried out crumb of sharp cheddar in the back; even two packets of powered Parm/Romano left over from last month's pizza.
    pepper: black to red ratio= 3/1. taco bell packets are allowed.
    onion. fresh is best dried works. and like 50 cents a pound. precook/soften in microwave (a little oil) before adding.

Most of this shit works for powered mashed potatoes too.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Anonymous Member

Yes I adore spicy chilis. I wouldn't recommend that many chilis to most people, but I've built up a tolerance for spicy chilis over the years. I love munching on the little raw spicy chilis. Its like having a cup of espresso - spicy chilis jolt me awake, and tend to increase body metabolism and induce sweating.
  20. Anonymous Member

Kidney stones are extremely painful. I've had them 3 times. I never want to have kidney stones ever again. You're right, wortst pain I've ever had, and had broken bones and torn tendons before.

I'm not a doctor or nutrition expert, but I have done quite a bit of reading on this. Diets typically don't work in the long run, unless you adopt a lifestyle change long term. The majority of people gain back most of the weight they lose on crash diets, because they right back to eating the same crap they were before.

Some other anon posted earlier something about eating vegetables and exercising. That's good, sensible advice.

You can eat all the raw vegetables you want, every day, if that is your main source of food, and you will probably lose weight no matter how much raw veggies you eat - along with drinking large quantities of plain water. Drinking 1 glass of ice water burns 20 calories, because your body has to heat up the cold water to body temperature. Multiply that by 20 calories by 10 glasses of water and you can burn 200 calories a day, simply by drinking lots of plain ice water.

Plain beans are not high in calories, but will help your stomach feel full.

Rolled oats / oatmeal can have fairly high calorie count, but it will give you a feeling of bing full. Oats also reduce cholesterol, and help stabilize your blood sugar levels.

To start off, I suggest take it gradually. Find what vegetables you like, and start eating more of those vegetables. Cut out sugar and anything that is refined. Avoid anything canned. Frozen vegetables can actually be just as nutrititous as fresh vegetables.

Raw veggies, or uncooked frozen veggies (run under water to thaw them) are far healthier than cooked veggies. Find out what veggies you like and eat more of those veggies regularly. Listen for feedback from your body. If you crave a certain vegetable, such as broccoli, its probably your body's way of telling you it needs the nutrients that particular vegetable has. Not exactly scientific, that last bit, but it seems to work for me. My whole concotion started working much better when I added olives to the mix, probably because I needed some oils and healthy fats. Yes, you body needs fats. There are good fats and bad fats. Interesting stuff about good fats available online.
    • Like Like x 1
  21. Anonymous Member

But not WILD RICE (actually a grass) which is much lower on the glycemic index. And supports a (closer to) local economy if you live in the boreal/parkland region of N. America. It's also primarily grown and harvested by smaller producers. Most Canadian wild rice produced is not cultivated and is organic. It's a somewhat more expensive but DELICIOUS. I only use regular rice when I'm feeding a lot of people. Then I mix it half and half.

http://www.canadianliving.com/food/cooking_school/discover_wild_rice.php
    View attachment images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrm9lsQJpW48sjYI-xvpZNX8ONk5ugz
    • Like Like x 1
  22. lulzgasm Member

When I first saw that pic I thought I was looking at bullets.
    I must have guns n' ammo on my mind waaayyy too much.
  23. Anonymous Member

True. Brown rice and wild rice has a far lower glycemic index than white rice. Much healthier too.
    I used to eat brown rice sometimes, it has more texture and flavor than white rice.

But I've developed a liking for rolled oats. I get a nice full feeling after eating it, without the usual high-glycemic-index carb crash an hour later, from carbs like white rice or bread or pasta. Glucose levels stay nice and stable when you consistently use unprocessed oats as your main source of carbohydrates. I use black coffee and spicy chilis to wake me up.
  24. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  25. Anonymous Member

26. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 5
  27. eddieVroom Member

There's probably a few competing definitions of "kosher" out there too -- I meant that this recipie uses no leavening agents, it's all "elbow grease". Which is why it's important to bake the batter ASAP after whipping it into a froth.
  28. slobeck Member

Best recipe I have. Here Goes.
    Platten. aka Swedish Pancakes

The making of these goes back many many generations on my mother's side of the family. This preparation is as my grandmother Ingebørg used to do it. Easiest recipe to remember evar.

The batter is best if prepared the night before and set in the refrigerator until morning. This gives the flour ample time to fully absorb the wet ingredients giving the best results.

2 eggs
    2 c milk. (it works with almond or soymilk...though with soymilk use the light kind)
    2 Tsp sugar
    2 dashes of salt
    2 cups of all purpose flour
    a nice variation: a little vanilla extract

possibly some extra milk

Combine the wet ingredients, the sugar and salt in a medium size bowl and whisk thouroughly.
    Sift in the flour while stirring with a whisk. The odd lump is fine. Don't make yourself crazy chasing little lumps around.

now, here's where you're going to have to trust your intuition a bit. It is likely that 2 cup of milk is a little short of the amount you want. Ingie always said that you started at 2 cups and then added a little until the batter felt right. So since I can't really show you what "feels right" means, The closes reference I can make is a crepe. Swedish pancakes are basically the thinness of a crepe and the batter thusly should be basically the same consistency. It's downright runny by comparison to American IHOP style things.

Preparation:
    OMG! You just found another use for that $100 crepe pan you bought after that trip to France but used twice! So go get it out of the "sell" box at the back of the garage and make yourself breakfast!

So as you can see a crepe pan is ideal. Cast iron = ideal ideal. Seasoned cast iron = you're one hell of a sexy cook ideal.
    Also a good spatula like this:

spatula.jpg
    photo of my hand holding the spatula shall serve as proof that i actually make and eat these.

Set up your area:
    You will need some light flavorless healthy cooking oil and some paper towels near the stove at easy reach
    the chilled batter in an easy to grip container that will allow easy pouring.

while heating the skillet, pour a little oin in the centter of the pan and wip it around the pan with some paper towels.
    you want the skillet very hot but not so much that the oil smokes.

cooking:
    When the oil is hot enough, pour a sand dollar size puddle in the middle of the pan. holding the pan in one hand tilt it in a circular motion to spread the batter around the pan. The batter should be runny enough that this is easy.

Bubbles will appear in the batter and pop leaving little spaces in the batter. This is good. Give it a few seconds till the batter is clearly set (though not cooked) on top.

Using the tip of the spatula, run it around the pancake to loosen the edges. The spatula should slip underneath pretty easily at that point then flip it and sort of roll the spatula to lay the pancake nicely back down. it should be a lovely golden brown color. In this way alone, they are similar to American pancakes.

Cook it for another 20-30 seconds and then lift in the middle of the pancake and roll it with the spatula on the plate.

Getting high on pancakes: (seriously, they're THAT good)
    Traditionally, they are served with melted butter and powdered sugar. But literally anything sweet that would go on a crepe is fine. In our family it was REAL (don't fuck around with fake maple syrup, yo!) maple syrup heated hot with lots of butter. Also a fave was boysenberry syrup (which has got to be terrible for you and, no doubt, fake)
    And my mother would also sometime heat up frozen mixed berries (or fresh blackberries in summer) with butter and powdered sugar. Friend's favorite suggestion is...wait for it....Nutella™

Imma be makin' these on Tuesday for a house guest, so I may post some pictures.
    • Like Like x 4
  29. Sonichu Moderator

Sounds delicious!

I made a crepe recipe for my mother on mothers day (who had never had homemade crepes until I learned how), and here is a nice variant the might go good with what you are making.

Frozen fruit Topping.

Seriously easy stuff. No concrete measurements here... this is for veterans:

Bag of Frozen Berries, (all 1 kind, or a variety pack, whatever you have/prefer)
    Water, (I told you this was easy)
    Corn Starch
    Sugar to taste
    (Really good chefs also use about a shot of their favorite bourbon, if you really want to impress)

Combine berries and water in saucepan. The water should be enough to cover your pot about 1/2 all around. Berries should still be frozen when added.

Set pot to high heat, bring to a slow boil. (Add Borubon if you are using it. Stir completely into mixture)

As berries begin to thaw, add Corn Starch to desired Thickness. Reduce heat to about a medium-low setting.

Remember, you can always add a little more, so don't go crazy with it. Start out small. Also make sure there is no white in the pan before you add more.

Add sugar to desired sweetness. Remove from heat when all sugar and Starch is incorporated.

Refrigerate for firmer thickness, (closer to jam) or serve immediately (for closer to syrup)
    • Like Like x 2
  30. slobeck Member

Thats pretty much what my mother used to do with the berries. Though in summer you can't beat fresh blackberries!
  31. Sonichu Moderator

If making with fresh berries, the only difference is to use slightly less water, and reduce time till it boils. Also you will probably have to squeeze the berries abit while they are in the pot.
  32. AnonLover Member

ZOMG so hungry for breakfast nao!
  33. slobeck Member

Interesting. I still think that with blackberries right off the bush are best washed and simply crushed in a bowl maybe (most likely not) with a really small amount of sugar. When blackberries are really ripe you can make a spread just from the fruit alone. It's an amazingly fresh and zingy flavor.
    • Like Like x 2
  34. PodPeople Member

Add finely chopped bacon or ham, mild jalapeno's, fresh chives if you got 'em, into mixture. Once poured, sprinkle shredded cheese, cheddar or mexican mix of 3 cheeses, springle paprika on top.

You now have a portable meal. Have an apple or applesauce handy.
    • Like Like x 1
  35. PodPeople Member

Here's my omelette recipe (or scrambled eggs recipe, depends if I had enough coffee before cooking)

Put 2 cups of Fritos in plastic bag, crush into smaller pieced by rolling with a can, or pin.
    5-6 eggs, whisk for 1 minute.. Add 2 tablespoons of cream or half&half, whisk another minute.
    Add Fritos to egg mixture and set aside for at least 10 minutes.

Chop up precooked meat (optional: like bacon, ham, sausage) + 1 cup of low fat shredded cheese to mixture.
    Heat up skillet with any of the heart healthy oils another to cover surface of pan.
    Pour mixture into pan, roll around to even out. You'll need non stick long turner or flipper, or wide spatula.
    I just slide and "push" the misture, try to fold it over, rather than flip it. Sometimes this works and end up with a fluffy omelette, sometimes it's scramled eggs.
    Served with salsa of your choice on the side or on top.
  36. PodPeople Member

Healthier Fried Chicken Fingers

Use skinless chicken tenders, or, it's cheaper to use chicken breasts, but pound to get very thin and tenderize, and cut up yourself into tender or finger sizes. You want these to cook very fast, less time to soak up oil.

In frying pan, add enough Canola Oil or blend of heart healthy oils to cover your chicken tenders.
    Drag meat through a bowl of whisked egg mixture, then drop in bowl of almond meal or almond flour, fully cover both sides.

When oil is hot, carefully place chicken in oil. Only takes about 3 minutes each side, but depends on temp, oil, and thickness, so you'll have to test this out. You'll have to turn them. Make sure fully cooked.
    Remove with slotted turner or spatula and place onto plate with doubled paper towels. Immediately lightly drizzle w/honey and then lightly salt with Sea Salt. Just a tiny bit of honey doesn't add a load of calories and you don't want to taste like honey. If you use sparingly, the blend of chicken, almond, honey, salt and oil will all come together, especially if it's cold.

I prefer these cold, which means letting them cool on the counter before refrigerating. Otherwise, can be served within 10 minutes. Just a warning. These can be addictively good.
    • Like Like x 1
  37. would this work if i stuck the chicken in the oven instead of frying it?
  38. slobeck Member

I suspect that you could use a breadcrumb type coating that would bake alright... a little googling will turn up alternatives to fried chicken that should work.
  39. subgenius Member

Boston Baked Beans (Second effort):
    This time I used my pressure cooker.
    "Blanched" first by bringing up to pressure, taking off heat, and letting sit 2 hours. Eliminates need for overnight soak.
    Then pressure cooked for about half an hour, let cool down natural.
    Beans were perfect.

Then, leaving in some of the water, added the goodies (bacon, onion, brown sugar, molasses, bbq sauce) and baked at 250 F overnight.

Perfect.

BTW:

A USDA study analyzed the antioxidant content of commonly consumed foods. Researchers tested over 100 foods. Here is a ranked list of the top 20 fruits, vegetables and nuts:
    1. Small red bean (dried), 1/2 cup
    2. Wild blueberry, 1 cup
    3. Red kidney bean (dried), 1/2 cup[br[
    4. Pinto bean, 1/2 cup
    5. Blueberry (cultivated), 1 cup
    6. Cranberry, 1 cup (whole)
    7. Artichoke (cooked hearts), 1 cup
    8. Blackberry, 1 cup
    9. Prune, 1/2 cup
    10. Raspberry, 1 cup
    11. Strawberry, 1 cup
    12. Red delicious apple, 1
    13. Granny Smith apple, 1
    14. Pecan, 1 ounce
    15. Sweet cherry, 1 cup
    16. Black plum, 1
    17. Russet potato, 1 cooked
    18. Black bean (dried), 1/2 cup
    19. Plum, 1
    20. Gala apple, 1
    • Like Like x 2
  40. Sonichu Moderator

The Water and Corn Starch are just to make it more of a jam consistency. I've never worked with fresh blackberries, so I have no input on that though.