Customize

Former Sea Org architect Paul Burkhart on Hemet, The Hole, and Shelly Miscavige

Discussion in 'Media' started by The Wrong Guy, Feb 12, 2016.

1. The Wrong Guy Member

Scientology’s Space Man: The newest defector from church management opens up

By Tony Ortega, The Underground Bunker, February 12, 2016

Excerpt:

...there is another defector from the ranks of Scientology’s international management who has come forward.

We met him in Seattle, on our book tour. And now, we’re ready to tell his story. His name is Paul Burkhart, and he left the Sea Organization in August 2013.

Not only is his information on the inner workings of Scientology only a couple of years old, he also worked at Int Base from 1999 to 2009 in a key position that allowed him to observe some of the significant events that took place during that time.

For the first time in years, we have a new eyewitness to what happened at Int Base, in the Hole, and with Shelly Miscavige. And we were curious to see how his memories stack up to what we’ve been told by Rathbun, Rinder, Headley, Scobee, and Brousseau.

Perhaps the most important new information we learned from Burkhart was that when he left in 2013, what was left of Scientology’s upper management was well aware that the church was in dire shape. While church members at big annual events are assured that Scientology is always experiencing more expansion than ever, Burkhart saw with his own eyes the actual reports upper management receives on a daily basis in Scientology, and those reports were unequivocal — Scientology is dying, and fast.

Here's the complete article, which is the first of a series:
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/02/12/sc...est-defector-from-church-management-opens-up/
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Random guy Member

The juicy stuff to follow, presumably tomorrow.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Ogsonofgroo Member

• Like Like x 2
  4. RightOn Member

sniff sniff fresh meat?
    nope! already on!
    • Like Like x 2
  5. RightOn Member

I love this so much.
    Make it rain!
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Quentinanon Member

Looks like sea ogres won't have to complete their billion year contracts after all.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. anon8109 Member

Perhaps the most important new information we learned from Burkhart was that when he left in 2013, what was left of Scientology’s upper management was well aware that the church was in dire shape. While church members at big annual events are assured that Scientology is always experiencing more expansion than ever, Burkhart saw with his own eyes the actual reports upper management receives on a daily basis in Scientology, and those reports were unequivocal — Scientology is dying, and fast.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. interesting
  9. TrevAnon Member

• Like Like x 4
  10. RightOn Member

love those numbers!

There is only a Jeannie and Michael Ibert in completions no Kerry Ibert
    huh!
  11. anon8109 Member

Here are the statistics showing that scientology is evaporating:

in 2007 the scientology corporation had a list of 180, 000 names to sell "The Basics" to.

For 7 years every staff and sea org member spent hours every day on the phone contacting those people amounting to 100, 000 hours of labor a week, for a total of 255, 500, 000 hours of calling people to sell these books.

After all this effort, only 8, 000 homo novis bought the books, or just 4.4% of potential clients.

This means that each sale took 31, 937.5 hours of work.

Along with the books there is a course that goes with it. Only 5,000 people took the course.

Burkhart estimates that there are about 2,500 people working in the seaorg, who are not required to buy books.

This makes for only around 10, 000 active homo novis "on the planet".

Tony generously writes in his headline that there are fewer than 20,000.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. anon8109 Member

Notice that the ratio of paying "scientology public" to seaorg is 3.2 to one.

This means that every seaorg member is being supported by only 3 paying homo novis.

If not for the handful of whales carrying the expense of maintaining these people, the company would be bleeding cash.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. The Wrong Guy Member

Another part of today's article that's interesting concerns the KCET studio. Quote:

“I was doing space plans for it. I was already kind of withdrawing and trying to do less and less. There must have been a hundred different space plans for all the units going there — even RTC. Everyone was going to have an office there,” he says. Two years ago, we started to see fliers urging public Scientologists to donate money to the building of the “Scientology Media Productions” (SMP) project. Burkhart says Miscavige’s plans for it were elaborate — and unrealistically so.

“There were endless space plans about what to do with it. Part of the purchase was that they got to keep lots of broadcast equipment that was already there. And it has two big sound stages. The space plans I was doing, they were ridiculous. You had plans for 30 people doing editing, and then six more studios for radio shows. There would be hundreds of people with all kinds of equipment. But, what are they going to do with all this? You can broadcast your own radio show, I guess, but they’re never going to do what they are planning. It was just a pipe dream,” he says.

We told Burkhart that what confused us about the KCET renovation was that Scientology already had state-of-the-art studios at Golden Era Productions (“Gold”), the studios at Int Base. Why build another set of them?

“I think the biggest factor, deep within Miscavige’s mind, was that the people at Gold, he had done so much shit to these people, it was all just an antagonistic relationship. He just wanted to get rid of those people. At HGB, they were talking openly about how the SMP was going to be staffed up with all young, eager people. And they were saying this to Sea Org people who had been in for 30 years or more. Yeah, sure, we’d say, get more young people in — like that was going to happen,” he says.

“Even the Gold staff members who didn’t go in the Hole, they saw the people who were in the Hole, they heard communications about it, they were in meetings when Miscavige was going off like an asshole. It was becoming intolerable. It was just a super antagonistic relationship, for years — people being thrown in the lake, the beatings — how do you move forward with those people? I know that Miscavige just wanted to take everyone at Int Base and just vaporize them.”

So the development of the KCET studios is just a way to turn away from Gold and its association with the Hole, and to pretend that a whole new crew of enthusiastic young Sea Org workers is going to flood in and staff the place? That’s it, Burkhart tells us.

“I was doing the space plans. The organizational structure was being planned. But there were no people for it. They were gearing up for the renovations, they had the equipment. But no people.”

And what about broadcasting licenses? When Miscavige puts out fliers saying that Scientology will be putting out television, is he talking about actual broadcasting and not just YouTube?

“That was the plan, to apply for licenses,” he tells us. (And if anyone can help us with how to look up whether Scientology has applied for broadcasting licenses, we’d appreciate it.)

Here's another link to the second part, published today:
    http://tonyortega.org/2016/02/13/sc...ve-scientologists-fewer-than-20000-worldwide/

Here are some of the threads about the studio:

2011: KCET-TV sells landmark studio to Church of Scientology

https://whyweprotest.net/threads/kcet-tv-sells-landmark-studio-to-church-of-scientology.78558/

2012: Any new news on KCET and Scientology?

https://whyweprotest.net/threads/any-new-news-on-kcet-and-scientology.101694/

2012: Tony Ortega: Scientology TV station

https://whyweprotest.net/threads/tony-ortega-scientology-tv-station.103823/

2015: Church of Scientology wants to install Scientology sign on old KCET towers in Los Angeles

https://whyweprotest.net/threads/ch...ign-on-old-kcet-towers-in-los-angeles.127965/
    • Like Like x 4
  14. DeathHamster Member

And how many Sea Org are still "100% American" rather than religious worker imports?

I don't know if whale money is being used to carry the operational expenses yet.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Random guy Member

Oooooh, this is nice!
  16. failboat Member

You miscalculated the total hours based on 100,000 hours per day rather than per week.

If the numbers were calculated for 7 solid years, you would have 7 * 52 * 100k = 36,400,000 hours.

Each sale would have taken 36,400,000/8,000 = 4,550 hours of work.
    [EDIT - perhaps more interesting is the idea that about 5000 staff & Sea Org spent an average of about 20 hours a week for 7 years on this project. And that they each had to work an average of about 220-230 weeks, between 4-5 years, to get 1 sale]

Finally, I would just point out that many of those who were duped into buying were also persuaded to buy multiple copies, so even though only 8,000 Scientologists may have bought a set, surely there were significantly more than 8,000 sets sold. I also wonder how many of these 8,000 Scientologists were, say, members of the same family or living in the same household, for whom the purchase was really an unnecessary duplication. I am certain that many anecdotal reports exist of multiple sets purchased by the same household or by the same person, which ended up just taking up space on bookshelves and in garages.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Random guy Member

It's not clear from the article, but the number 8 000 could just as well be the number of copies sold. If it is so, then the actual number of people who bought it is even lower. Wasn't there also some who bought to donate to libraries? Someone really need to ask this chap exactly what went into those 8 000.
  18. failboat Member

The direct quote from Burkhart, as quoted by TO, is this - “Tony, my memory is that after all that, only 8,000 Scientologists had purchased sets of the Basics after all those years.”
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Random guy Member

Yes, and that might mean that he saw the number 8 000 around and translated that into 8 000 buyers.

Or it's just me being optimistic again.
  20. failboat Member

That seems incredibly doubtful to me, given that we both know, and I think Burkhart knows as well, that multiple copies were being pushed and sold to individual buyers, while other copies were shipped to libraries. He actually says "Scientologists," not copies, and it's while in the middle of a discussion with Tony O about the number of active Scientologists. He also says the total number of "contactables" on their list was 180,000 initially, and it does not stretch plausibility that such a database would have recorded who had purchased (a) set(s) and who had not for easy tabulation.
  21. Random guy Member

True, true. Also, in the spirit of caution should assume the worst.

Still, 20 000 clams is such s sweet, sweet little number!
  22. Quentinanon Member

https://www.fcc.gov/media/radio/how-to-apply
    "Television in the United States is allocated through a Table of Allotments (47 CFR Section 73.622). All full service television stations transmit digitally, with television translator (repeater) and low power TV (LPTV) stations finishing a conversion to digital transmissions and a repacking of channels and allotments. Until the conversion to digital TV broadcasting and repacking are complete, the Commission is not accepting applications for new television stations.
    Auctions Will Be Required. When the Commission does begin to accept applications for new commercial television stations (to be announced in a Public Notice), these applications will be subject to broadcast auctions, with the possible exception of those few allotments specifically reserved for noncommercial educational television use."

I guess the newfangled scientology studio would only broadcast on satellite and cable which does not require a license. But currently, the FCC is not issuing new licenses, and when they will, those will be auctioned off to the highest bidder. If in the unlikely event Miscavige can man up KCET, how many WOGs would subscribe to a scientology channel? I don't think it's a sustainable business plan. The comment about pipe dream seems correct to me. Just for lulz, let's think of some names for programs on a scientology station:
    The Fair Game Show
    PTS or SP?
    The Days of Our Aberrated Lives
    Ron's Place
    On the Cans Again
    Out-ethics and Downstat
    Make More Money
    Evil Psychs
    Thursday at 2
    Keeping Scientology Working
    Ideal Org Openings
    Terminately Handled