Customize

Free Barrett Brown

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by meep meep, Feb 13, 2015.

1. meep meep Member

• Like Like x 5
  2. meep meep Member

• Like Like x 2
  3. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 2
  4. Check out the (audio) of that stupid idiotic "woman", with the fucked up creepy little laugh, and the disgruntled old guy in the audience. One feels sorry for those fuckwit, brainwashed imbeciles.
  5. Random guy Member

How is a private spy company even legal?
    • Like Like x 3
  6. My favorite quote from this story........
    • Like Like x 2
  7. A.O.T.F Member

1*r6t4evr73pP9Lq-RUeyEQw.jpeg

Barrett Brown: “Maybe it is an act of civil disobedience — maybe it is a war”

Although he very much disputed it, Barrett Brown was considered a spokesperson for Anonymous. He also worked as a journalist. Then he got jailed for alleged participation in a hack — or for political reasons, as some observers say.

Since September 2012, he has been awaiting trial in a prison in Dallas, Texas. On Thursday, the federal district court sentenced him to more than 5 years in prison. Our reporter is the only journalist who interviewed Barrett Brown in jail. An interview about the lust for power, war time lies and the benefits of being in prison.

By Jan Ludwig

Mister Brown, when I came here by plane, I was sitting between two ladies from Texas, probably 60 years old. They had never heard of Anonymous. How would you explain to them why you are here?

I would not say anything to Texans. I do not respect the judgement of the average Texans. Look at what the FBI agents were looking for in the search warrant. Look at what I have been accused of: credit card fraud. And look at the transcript of the gag order hearing. The prosecutor tells the judge that the „tone“ of my articles about the government is a problem. I am not a saint. I am not a hero. But I am living in a country that is screwed up and that is getting more screwed up every year. I have tried to engage that system.

Did you consider yourself a journalist or an activist when you worked for Anonymous?

I was in a very amorphous sort of position in which I was either praising, explaining, or criticizing various projects, some of which I was involved in as a researcher or promoter and some of which I wasn’t involved in or even disapproved of. On some occasions, I was asked by participants in an operation to speak to the media on their behalf, but just as often I would just help journalists find their way to an IRC channel or give them an e-mail address so that they could talk to someone closer to the operation in question.

Would you call your work „embedded journalism“?

Part of my work with Anonymous was indeed reportage, but of course I was also involved directly in some of the operations, particularly those regarding Tunisia, Bahrain, and the investigation into the U.S. intelligence contracting sector, which was carried out both from Anonymous servers and Project PM. And, of course, I was often an advocate for Anonymous in general and certain operations in particular, rather than a neutral reporter, even though I was also sometimes a critic. All in all, I served a very ambiguous role, just as most of my other positions are ambiguous, as is my status in general.

Long before Edward Snowden’ leaks, you investigated the obscure work of private security firms and their cooperation with US authorities. Do you remember when you first heard about the Snowden leaks? How did you react?

I first learned about the Snowden leaks from the television in the Mansfield jail unit, followed by a phone convo with the journalist Michael Hastings, who briefed me in general. Later I received print-out news reports about the leaks. My initial reaction was shock that the public was now paying attention, and then admiration for Snowden and Greenwald for having done such a great job of getting it into the news and keeping it there. Snowden is obviously a highly competent leaker, and Greenwald has an unusually keen understanding of media dynamics in general.

In a TV interview you said: „I always thought the bad guys were the bad guys.“ Let us talk about your „bad guy episode“. You were not a hacker yourself. There was supposed to be a joke saying that Barrett Brown could not even hack himself out of a paper bag.

There was fair criticism of me. It was very obvious to everyone that I wanted to control Anonymous. I absolutely wanted to effectively be the leader of Anonymous and turn it into an activist thing.

It was frowned upon by Anomymous when someone used his real name advocating for Anonymous.

I was a journalist and I had written some articles. Why should I call myself „SecretCyberCommander“? I mean, I am just Barrett Brown.

In May 2011, you left Anonymous.

That was a media stunt. I have been unsuccessful in detaching myself from this role that I had been given as „spokesperson for Anonymous“. Dozens of times I had publically said that I am not a spokesperson for Anonymous, and privately done so in e-mails. I also did not like the direction it was going at that point. There were many people who had left Anonymous for Project PM. I also wanted to have the opportunity to speak on camera without being associated with Anonymous. A lot of Anonymous members got their information from the same places the Soccer Moms do, which is the media. So they saw me as the „self-proclaimed spokesperson for Anonymous“. I could not even walk into a chatroom for a while without 15 people who would say: Ah, look, there is our leader! And I would say: „Hey, this brand new shit about Booz Allen Hamilton, …

… the former employer of Edward Snowden …

… this is very important.“ I did not want to give up on this idea of encouraging Anonymous participants in mass to pursue the intelligence contracting issue. Anonymous is perfect for that. I saw Anonymous as something that it was not. I saw it as a collection of really erudite individuals. Of course it also came from 4chan, so it attracted these kinds of weird people. Anyway, I do not like computer people in general.
    What e-mails did you link to after the Stratfor hack?

All articles asserting that the link was to an archive of millions of Stratfor e-mails are incorrect. I still don’t know exactly what was in the file I actually linked to, as I never opened it after downloading.

What did you do when there was a fresh hack? What did a Project PM workday look like?

When there was a fresh hack, everyone was in the IRC channel. People were going through the e-mails. Each of us had our own list of subjects. There are certain search terms I would always use, like „persona management“, „FBI“, „NSA“ and so on. One of the things we did was to offer stuff to journalists, saying „This could be your story!“ One example is a piece that appeared in Bloomberg Businessweek. We provided them information on Endgame Systems. Endgame Systems had an unprecedented array of zero-day-exploits in Western Europe. I also contacted people like the CEO of HBGary, saying, Hey, what do you have to say to that? I always recorded that. Because they are liars, just like the FBI. It is much better to have someone lying on audio. Journalists like audio.

Would you say that it should be legal for an investigative journalist to acquire documents through hacking?

Absolutely it should; otherwise, dozens of the best journalists in the country would be subject to prosecution for referencing the HBGary or Stratfor e-mails. We were in a position where we have just pulled the tail of a dozen different shadowy companies that specialized in destroying peoples’ lives, journalists and activists. It really became a race for us to ensure these things stay in the press.

In the eyes of the authorities, you were part of a cyberwar. You once declared war on Pentagon yourself.

Many people used this rhetoric, on both sides. And this is also appropriate. On the other hand, if the government calls something a war, it has to apply the rules of war. Maybe it is an act of civil disobedience — maybe it is a war.

The first generation of elite hackers of Anonymous is not that active anymore, also because Sabu, one of the most talented hackers of LulzSec, an offshoot of Anonymous, became an FBI informant. Who is Sabu to you?

We knew each other, but we did not have that much contact. I talked to him a few times in 2011. He also did these other hacks that were totally unneccessary. I called him a degenerate pussy traitor, and I stand by that.
    Sabu had to take care of two childen. Having children is a responsibility, and a responsibility is a weakness. The FBI probably exploited that.

Absolutely. The FBI definitely took advantage of that. People’s wifes and mothers are indicted all the time. And then they drop the indictments. It is not even unusual. On the other hand, when he got involved into this stuff and started his major hacks, he knew he had these children. Why not find somebody else? If he had fucked the FBI on this, if he had said: No, I am not going to betray my ideals, I am not going to help you commit crimes over the next year to help you destroy Anonymous — as he ended up doing –, anyone would have taken these kids for the rest of their lives.

That seems to be very rational, but now you sound like a member of a guerilla organization.

Just like I do, Sabu used this rhetoric of warfare. If you are going to use that rhetoric, you better actually do those things. People do it all the time in regular warfare.
    My mom was threatened as well. The FBI wanted me to cooperate. But I did not cooperate. It means that your family is more worth than other people’s families. And what damage are you going to do to the rest of the world if you are going on a crime spree under the FBI’s control?

1*-Bk4PgwwCza1uje0YvrkiQ.jpeg

What is life without the internet like?

Oh, it is good for me. The Internet takes something from you. In my case in particular, the internet was a very powerful tool, but I am very happy with having a break from it. Being off the internet fundamentally changes the structure of your mind. I feel like I am more capable right now than I was a few years ago. I am a better writer. I am a better tactical thinker, and I am a better strategical thinker. I have to be, because when I get out, this is all going to resume.

Did you work during the day or during the night?

I did not have a regular schedule. It was just depending on what drugs I was on. I have also spent a good portion of my life doing drugs, shooting up Heroin, and drinking. Even in the last couple of years when I was engaged in very high-stakes activities with Anonymous, Wikileaks, my own group Project PM, I did not give 100 percent. Not even 70 percent. In all the years of my great accomplishments, in the great majority of that time, I spent smoking cigarettes and playing computer games while high. I mean, I was a junkie. I could have done a lot better of a job.

Now you are writing articles from out of prison. How does that work?

I used to sent my handwritten work to my mother to be typed up and then e-mailed to my lawyers, who had to approve them before they would be sent on to D Magazine or Vice or The Guardian. But finally I decided that I’m not really worried about the judge giving me additional prison time over something I write for the public. Also, after 6 months or so of being under a gag order, I was tired of being censored.

In your articles for the D Magazine, you describe the everyday procedure in prison in a satirical way. What did you do today until we met?

Today I got up at 8. In general I would heat up water in a microwave and check my emails. Then I would go to the library and make sure there are no books sitting on top of the shelves. Sometimes we get books back with the cover torn off, so I take them to my room and use some tape to fix the cover back on. I have read several hundred books in the last two and a half years, probably 300 books, a book every two days or so. Especially when I was at Mansfield, the prison I have been to before. There are no windows, there is no space. They have eight man cells.

Do you think your character has changed in prison?

Oh yes, quite a bit. I mean, for one thing I am not on drugs anymore for the first time since adolescence. I was on Heroin for two years. I am sober for two and a half years. In addition to that, I had a lot of time to think. Also, I am technically the leader of what is regarded as a gang. It is a predominantly white prison gang. We also have a sign when we meet each other (meows and purrs).
    Apparently you have a problem with institutionalized authority, but you are climbing up the hierarchy ladder quite easily. When did that start?
    In school, very early on. When I was 13, I started reading books from anarchists. Very early on I inhaled this sort of ethos of a lone individual challenging authority and then giving a speech about why I did that. Even if everyone else disagrees, even if no-one is going along with me, it is my job to at least serve as an example. (Knocks on the table with his fingers)

What do you miss most in prison?

Cigarettes.

And what will be the first thing you do when you come out of prison?

I am going to smoke cigarettes. I am going to play computer games. And then I will get back to what I was doing before. Journalism and all that.
    This story has been originally posted on Krautreporter, a crowdfunded digital national news magazine in Germany.

Source - https://medium.com/krautreporter-stories/barret-brown-612b35784c81
    • Like Like x 4
  8. A.O.T.F Member

• Like Like x 5
  9. meep meep Member

• Like Like x 1
  10. A.O.T.F Member

Whats the bet, that Barrett has been walking around today with a smile on his dial, the size of Canada :D
  11. whosit Member

I don't know... how much mexican brown do you think he shot up?
  12. A.O.T.F Member

Do you think your character has changed in prison?

Admirable, Gutsy. It cannot have been easy for him.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. A.O.T.F Member

14. A.O.T.F Member

gjv4d3p-jpg.222202.jpg

Seriously Gregg. What would you do? Is it even worth trying to fix this whole shitty mess? Given that the person who occupies the very chair you sat in, has lost the fucking plot.

Well, not the exact real chair, but you do know what i mean.

Do you think that the voting process has any real merit? Or can we pretty much count on it to be corrupted and rotten to the core?
  15. A.O.T.F Member

Free-Barrett-Brown-banner-635x165.png

The Barrett Brown Review of Arts and Letters and Jail: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Prison

by Barrett Brown Posted in Local News. Mar 19, 2015 at 8:37 am

The seven guys with whom I recently spent two months living in a small room at the Kaufman County Jail while awaiting transfer were in the distressing habit of compulsively watching local TV news, which is the lowest form of news. They would even watch more than one network’s evening news program in succession, presumably so as to get differing perspectives on the day’s suburban house fires and rush-hour lane closings rather than having to view these events through a single ideological prism.

One day, there was a report about a spate of bank robberies by a fellow the media was dubbing the Lunch Money Bandit after his habit of always striking around noon, when tellers were breaking for lunch. Later that week, there was another report on the suspect, accompanied by surveillance footage — and then, shortly afterward, he was actually brought in to our cell, having just been captured when the cops received a tip from a former accomplice who’d been picked up on unrelated charges.

Continued - http://frontburner.dmagazine.com/20...unny-thing-happened-on-the-way-to-the-prison/
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Use the link bro. Barrett gets points for each reader, srs.
    • Like Like x 3
  17. A.O.T.F Member

Copy that. Frank. Apologies all around
    • Like Like x 1
  18. 00anon00 Member

Will he be writing advertising copy for security contractors for decades now? His fines are appowling.
  19. A.O.T.F Member

Amended - Click for Barrett ;)
  20. Caught this and Saw BB in it. Dropping her cause

21. A.O.T.F Member

The Barrett Brown Review of Arts and Letters and Jail: This Prison Is Kind of Corrupt - May 19, 2015 at 1:56 pm

Last time I noted that the prison administration here at Federal Correctional Institution Fort Worth had cut off my access to the inmate email system shortly after I sent a message to another journalist about wrongdoing by Bureau of Prisons staff, thus providing us with a fine opportunity by which to see how the BOP really operates as I take my case up through the agency ranks via a charmingly baroque complaint procedure known as the Administrative Remedy Process. There have been some telling new developments on that front that I’ll relate by and by, but it would be remiss of me not to first say a few words about the prison itself, and fuck if I’m going to leave myself open to accusations of being remiss.

Continued - http://frontburner.dmagazine.com/20...ters-and-jail-this-prison-is-kind-of-corrupt/
    • Like Like x 3
  22. A.O.T.F Member

free-barrett-brown-banner-635x165-png.245905.png

The Barrett Brown Review of Arts and Letters and Jail: Eff You, Axl Rose

by Barrett Brown Posted in 10 Most Eligible Men in Dallas. Jun 09, 2015 at 2:58 pm

I’ve spent so much of the last two columns denouncing the prison administration for its assorted violations of U.S. law and English grammar that I’ve barely said anything about what it’s like to live in prison. It’s really not too bad. Doing time is hardest on those with children, while I myself am putting off having kids until such time as I’ve acquired a fortified compound on which to train them. Certainly I miss some of my old friends from time to time, but, frankly, over the last couple of years I’ve gradually replaced them with far more interesting convict friends.
    Each morning I get up around dawn-ish in the alcove I share with 11 other inmates, including an El Salvadoran people smuggler, a couple of Mexican gang members, a former Army major who held Top Secret clearance and whom I occasionally spy on for old time’s sake, and a guy called Outlaw. Upon awakening, I go into the day room to make a cup of freeze-dried coffee and take a quick look at what stories the cable news networks are covering and how they’re screwing them up so that I’ll have something to be enraged about until I can find an old copy of TIME.

I’ve noticed that the big three are still blatantly misusing the bright red “Breaking News” banner for things like “Jury still in deliberation,” and that the producers at Fox News in particular will load out their whole dramatic three-second CGI “BREAKING NEWS” animation, complete with enigmatic cyber-gong sound file, before cutting to Lindsay Graham giving a speech in Delaware. I don’t really mind Fox on ideological grounds, as a nation with this many prisons and military bases clearly merits at least one openly fascist news network, but I do object to the shamelessness with which it insists on coarsening the culture.

For half a century, there was an unspoken agreement among the nation’s broadcasters to refrain from giving public affairs programs to anyone with a significant amount of Irish blood. But when Fox News went on the air, it was immediately obvious that the executives had canvassed every riverfront bar in Hoboken in search of the loudest, most obnoxious Irish street brawlers they could find who were not already employed as cops, cleaned them up a bit, and given them prime-time weekdays slots and full creative control.

As with so many other bad production habits, MSNBC and CNN felt the need to follow in News Corp’s footsteps, and now half the time you turn on the news, there’s some burly Gaelic bastard shouting out warnings about the fairy folk who steal naughty children before inexplicably collapsing into tears, followed by 15 minutes of drunken song and a demand for additional Benghazi hearings. Certainly this makes for good television; I’m just calling for some decency.

Continued - http://frontburner.dmagazine.com/20...f-arts-and-letters-and-jail-eff-you-axl-rose/
    • Like Like x 2
  23. A.O.T.F Member

• Like Like x 1
  24. The Wrong Guy Member

Announcement: Barrett Brown is Courage’s fifth beneficiary | Courage Brown

Quote:

Imprisoned journalist Barrett Brown is Courage’s fifth beneficiary
    • Courage is raising funds for Brown’s commissary, restitution and legal costs
    • Brown continues to write from prison, for D Magazine and soon for The Intercept
    • Currently in solitary confinement, Brown needs continued support and assistance
    US journalist and satirist Barrett Brown, author of Flock of Dodos and Keep Rootin’ For Putin, is the Courage Foundation’s fifth beneficiary. Brown is currently serving a 63 month sentence after being persecuted for his work. In 2012, the FBI raided his house, and later that year Barrett was indicted on 12 federal charges relating to the 2011 Stratfor hack. The most controversial charge, linking to the hacked documents, was dropped, but in 2015 Brown was still sentenced to prison.

Courage will collect funds for Brown, who owes more than $890,000 in restitution and who needs money for commissary in prison and for lingering legal costs. Our first campaign is a $5,000 fund drive, which would cover two years of his restitution payments.

Additionally, Courage will to update the public on Brown’s condition — he is currently in solitary confinement for an indeterminate length of time but continues to write his column and will soon report for The Intercept.

Brown is the founder of Project PM, a crowd-sourced investigation of the private intelligence industry. In 2011, Project PM released its research of Romas/COIN, “a secretive and immensely sophisticated campaign of mass surveillance and data mining against the Arab world, allowing the intelligence community to monitor the habits, conversations, and activity of millions of individuals at once.”

Courage’s Acting Director Sarah Harrison said,

Barrett Brown’s sentence is a scar on a country that likes to pride itself on a free press. Brown is an excellent journalist who has exposed corrupt and illegal practices. He should be rewarded, not punished. I am pleased to be able to support someone whose work for the public record I admire so much.

Courage Trustee Julian Assange said,

Barrett Brown’s 5 year prison sentence for exposing Bank of America’s corporate espionage campaign against WikiLeaks is the most odious domestic example of Obama’s war on journalism. But far from letting this imprisonment grind him down, every day is making Barrett’s pen sharper. Slowly but surely, and entirely against its will, the Obama administration’s profound injustice is producing America’s greatest living satirist. Anyone who cares about justice and sharp writing is obliged to support Barrett Brown.

Kevin Gallagher, who worked with Barrett on Project PM and who has run his support network for 2 & 1/2 years, said,

While Barrett serves the remainder of his sentence and continues to produce brilliant and hilarious dispatches from his prison cell, I am very grateful to be working with the Courage Foundation on finding new ways to support him. Courage has recognized that Brown’s work on crowd-sourcing the investigation of leaks and his related activism was pioneering and important, and represents the true reason for his imprisonment.

Courage has launched a new website for Barrett, which features his journalism, how to support him, and his ongoing columns from prison, for D Magazine and soon with The Intercept.

Donate to his fund here.

Source:
    https://freebarrettbrown.org/2015/07/08/announcement-barrett-brown-is-courages-fifth-beneficiary/
    • Like Like x 2
  25. A.O.T.F Member

CIIqvbHWIAA4IUB-180x180.png?iv=20.png

Barrett Brown vs. the Dept of Justice – Blurring the Lines of Journalism

Douglas Lucas – The transcript of imprisoned journalist Barrett Brown‘s first sentencing hearing, obtained by Revolution News, shows how the Department of Justice worked to divide a radical journo from the rest of his profession and deny him the protections of law, clouding the public’s understanding of what is legal to do and say online.

That day, December 16, the prosecution and defense debated if the Dallas native could claim the mantle of journalism, a definition that to many would make his activity look more legitimate. The Justice Department’s focus on his partisan, anarchic style, rather than his actions, suggested the government wants those who write on current events to conform to the bloodless approach favored by most in the news business.

The colorful, controversial Brown, as he researched the “cyber-industrial complexwith his ambitious research syndicate Project PM, ignored ethics boundaries set by the corporate media and its imitators, disdaining the safety of standard practice. Prior to the hearing, it was known that he, though not a hacker, had embedded himself in the hacktivist collective Anonymous, not just reporting on the data they stole from private spy firms, but going so far as to badger the companies’ executives for information—even while the digital intrusions were ongoing. Though many news organizations fire personnel for misrepresenting themselves, Brown, a freelancer, tended to go by whatever term—journalist, former journalist, pseudo-journalist, or on rare occasion, Anonymous spokesperson—best aided his quest when he spoke with the media, other activists, or targets of his reportage.

In short, he broke rules for a higher cause .........

Continued - http://revolution-news.com/barrett-brown-the-doj-blurring-the-lines-of-journalism/
  26. A.O.T.F Member

nBcNHDDP_bigger.jpeg Courage Foundation@couragefound 20 hours ago
    Announcement! Barrett Brown is the Courage Foundation's newest beneficiary: https://freebarrettbrown.org/2015/07/08/announcement-barrett-brown-is-courages-fifth-beneficiary/ … #FreeBB

Barrett has really earned this accolade. It is truly a great honor and a grand gesture from both Julian Assange and Sarah Harrison to have acknowledged Barrett in this way. He will be absolutely stoked to hear this news.Well done that man.

Brothers and sisters in arms.
  27. sallysock Member

Front page July 16, 2015
    bbrown.JPG

Barrett Brown

Jul. 16 2015, 9:39am

Back in the go-go days of 2011 I got into some sort of post-modern running conflict with a certain declining superpower that shall remain nameless, and shortly afterwards found myself in jail awaiting trial on 17 federal criminal counts carrying a combined maximum sentence of 105 years in prison. Luckily I got off with just 63 months, which here in the Republic of Crazyland is actually not too bad of an outcome.

The surreal details of the case itself may be found in any number of mainstream and not-so-mainstream news articles, from which you will learn that I was the official spokesman for Anonymous, or perhaps the unofficial spokesman for Anonymous, or maybe simply the self-proclaimed spokesman for Anonymous, or alternatively the guy who denied being the spokesman for Anonymous over and over again, sometimes on national television to no apparent effect. You’ll also find that I was either a conventional journalist, an unconventional journalist, a satirist who despised all journalists, an activist, a whistleblower, a nihilistic and self-absorbed cyberpunk adventurer out to make a name for himself, or “an underground commander in a new kind of war,” as NBC’s Brian Williams put it, no doubt exaggerating.

According to the few FBI files that the bureau has thus far made public, I’m a militant anarchist revolutionary who once teamed up with Anonymous in an attempt to “overthrow the U.S. government,” and on another, presumably separate occasion, I plotted unspecified “attacks” on the government of Bahrain, which, if true, would really seem to be between me and the king of Bahrain, would it not? There’s also a book out there that claims I’m from Houston, whereas in fact I spit on Houston. As to the truth on these and other matters, I’m going to play coy for now, as whatever else I may be, I’m definitely something of a coquette. All you really need to know for the purposes of this column is that I’m some sort of eccentric writer who lives in a prison, and I may or may not have it out for the king of Bahrain.

Over the last couple of years of incarceration, I’ve had ever so many exciting adventures, some of which I’ve detailed in the prior incarnation of this column, “The Barrett Brown Review of Arts and Letters and Jail.” I’ve watched two inmates get into a blood-spattered fight over the right to sell homemade pies from a particular table. I have participated in an unauthorized demonstration against an abusive guard and been thrown into the hole as a suspected instigator. I’ve shouted out comical revolutionary slogans while my Muslim cellmate flooded our tiny punishment cell in order to get back at the officers who’d taken his Ramadan meal during a search. I’ve found myself with nothing better to read than an autobiography by Wendy’s Old-Fashioned Hamburgers founder Dave Thomas, and read it, and found it wanting.

I’ve stalked a fellow inmate who talks nonsense to himself all day due to having never come down after a PCP trip, suspecting that he might say something really weird that I could compare and contrast with the strange William Blake poems I’d been reading and thought this might be a funny idea for an article, and I was right, so do not ask me to apologize for this, for I shall not. I’ve been extracted from my cell by a dozen guards and shipped to another jail 30 miles away after the administration decided I was too much trouble. I’ve spent one whole year receiving sandwiches for dinner each night, but the joke’s on them because I love sandwiches.

I’ve read through an entire 16th-century volume on alchemy out of pure spite. I’ve added the word “Story” to the end of every instance of prison graffiti reading “West Side” that I’ve come across thus far. I’ve conceived the idea of writing a sequel to the Ramayana but abandoned the project after determining that the world is not prepared for such a thing. I’ve been subjected to a gag order at the request of the prosecution on the grounds that the latest Guardian article I’d written from jail had been “critical of the government.” I’ve learned all sorts of neat convict tricks like making dice out of toilet paper, popping locks on old cell doors, and appreciating mediocre rap. I’ve managed to refrain from getting any ironic prison tattoos and feel about 65 percent certain that I’ll be able to hold out for the two years left in my sentence.

continued at: https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/07/16/barrett-brown-review-prison/
    • Like Like x 3
  28. The Wrong Guy Member

• Like Like x 2
  29. meep meep Member

Text redacted "between him and Schwartz we can scare them so the contractors can work undisturbed '
  30. The Wrong Guy Member

Journalist Barrett Brown Receives 30 More Days of Solitary Confinement in Prison | Firedoglake

Jailed journalist and activist Barrett Brown has received 30 more days of solitary confinement in the prison, where he is serving a five-year and three-month sentence issued against him in January.

Brown, who had been put in “the hole” at the Fort Worth Correctional Institution previously, was put in solitary confinement in late June after staff “singled” him out “for a search” of his locker and “found a cup of homemade alcohol.”

As the Free Barrett Brown group indicated on July 20, Brown “had a hearing on his infraction and received an extra 30 days in the hole, plus 90 days of phone, visiting, commissary and email restriction.”

Brown was also informed that he was “placed on Central Inmate Monitoring,” which is a program that enables the Bureau of Prisons to apply more scrutiny to prisoners.

Central Inmate Monitoring (CIM) is for prisoners who “present special needs for management.” A copy of the 2007 policy indicates inmates are given this designation “so that critical decisions about their cases are carefully reviewed.” It is supposed to make the “institution environment” more “safe” by “case management decisions based on accurate information and sound correctional judgment.”

Continued here:
    http://firedoglake.com/2015/07/21/j...-more-days-of-solitary-confinement-in-prison/
    • Like Like x 2
  31. A.O.T.F Member

Happy Birthday Barrett. You hang tough brother.
  32. Yes Barrett hang in there.
  33. A.O.T.F Member

RebelNews-Logo-sm.png

Society

INTRODUCTION: A WORD ALBUM, LOL

by Barrett Brown

“A firm rule must be imposed upon our nation before it destroys itself. The United States needs some theology and geometry, some taste and decency. I suspect that we are teetering on the edge of the abyss.” – John Kennedy Toole, A Confederacy of Dunces.
    In 2002, the Pulitzer Prize in the category of commentary was awarded to New York Times columnist Thomas Friedman. In 2004, Friedman was made a member of the Pulitzer’s Board of Directors. Our nation is killing itself from within.

Every nation kills itself from within. Each nation’s golden age occurred some 50 years prior, and every such golden age could have gone on forever had it not been brought to an end by some misguided contingent of its own countrymen. A nation’s political enemies are always in control of the state, if only covertly or indirectly; in the modern age, they’ve branched out into the media for good measure.

Crime, you’ll recall, spiraled out of control in the ’70s, increasing exponentially until the federal government ceased to function altogether. Wealthy citizens moved into self-contained enclaves defended by private mercenary armies, while the poor organized themselves into communal military tribes, some seizing territory within the ruined cities, some taking to the highways in order that they might launch raids on the fortified hamlets into which rural Americans had organized themselves out of desperation.

On another occasion, the proliferation of nuclear power plants throughout the United States resulted in the accidental destruction of several major cities. Likewise, the proliferation of evolutionary theory and the decline of Biblical literalism resulted in the inevitable rise of a global government, itself led by a New Age tyrant who demands to be worshiped alongside some unspecified mother goddess.

The sexual revolution led to an epidemic of lesbianism and infanticide. Welfare reform led just as inevitably to mass starvation in the inner cities. The New Deal continued to snowball until 90 percent of the U.S. workforce was digging trenches and putting on Eugene O’Neill plays under the Works Progress Administration. Mega-corporations replaced most remaining national governments in the late ’90s. Everyone is now a crack addict.

Eight hundred thousand years from now, the human race will be divided into two species — one shall live on the surface, and the other beneath the ground.

To the extent that we look back and examine the predictions of our predecessors, we find ourselves confronted with a great deal of nonsense. This is a fine thing, as nonsense is wholly important. In studying nonsense, we find certain common characteristics that we may use to identify further nonsense of the contemporary sort, the nonsense that plagues us just now.

We may determine, for instance, that many of the foolish predictions made in the past are quite clearly the result of ideology. If one opposes nuclear power, nuclear power will lead to disaster. If one opposes the theory of evolution, the theory of evolution will lead to immorality. If one opposes the sexual revolution, let us ignore him.

If we were to divide the causes of poor predictions into two categories, we would probably make ideology one of them. The other category would be that of extrapolation, the act of making determinations about the future based on the trends that have reached us here in the present by way of the past and which, one tends to assume, will continue their growth into the future.

Continued - https://rebelnews.com/rbadmin/intro...tm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
  34. The Wrong Guy Member

Excerpt: Thomas Friedman by Barrett Brown | Rebel News

Barrett Brown is a friend of Rebel News and currently imprisoned Internet activist, journalist, and troublemaker. The following is an excerpt from his book Keep Rootin’ for Putin: Establishment Pundits and the Twilight of American Competence, which we personally think is fantastic and you should go get yourself a copy. Barrett hopes to write some original pieces for us as his situation allows, but being in prison makes his schedule a little complicated. Check out the Action Box after the text for information about how to help the people helping Barrett and other imprisoned activists.

Continued here:
    https://rebelnews.com/rbadmin/excerpt-thomas-friedman-by-barrett-brown/
    • Like Like x 2
  35. The Wrong Guy Member

Barrett Brown’s notebook confiscated as “contraband”

Just days out of Segregated Housing, still under heavy restrictions, Barrett Brown continues to endure prison retaliation. Barrett reports, “A guard seized a notebook of mine right outside the law library despite my objections that it contained privileged legal information.” Barrett says that he will discuss this further in his next Intercept column.

The incident report, dated 23 August 2015, indicates that Brown was in possession of contraband: “unauthorized green notebook.”

Source:
    https://freebarrettbrown.org/2015/08/31/barrett-browns-notebook-confiscated-as-contraband/
    • Like Like x 1
  36. A.O.T.F Member

• Like Like x 4
  37. Disambiguation Global Moderator

• Like Like x 3
  38. A.O.T.F Member

Congratulations to Barrett for winning the National Magazine Award.

Barrett Brown was in solitary when he won a National Magazine Award

We can report that Barrett Brown was placed in FCI Three Rivers’ Segregated Housing Unit (SHU) last Wednesday, 27 January, and released Tuesday 2 February — meaning he was in the hole on Monday 1 Feb. when it was announced that Barrett won the National Magazine Award for his prison column in The Intercept.

Barrett was moved to the SHU just two hours after he had done a telephone interview with radio producer Kenny Webster. Prison officials informed him that he was being “segregated” for “information-gathering purposes.” For the first three days in the SHU, Barrett was deprived of his daily antidepressant medication.

Barrett has previously been in the SHU several times, including one stay more than a month long.Solitary confinement, widely used in American prisons and long-derided as a form of psychological torture, is under increasing, overdue scrutiny.

Last month, President Obama banned the use of solitary confinement for juveniles in federal prisons, affecting some 10,000 inmates. Obama noted,

Research suggests that solitary confinement has the potential to lead to devastating, lasting psychological consequences. It has been linked to depression, alienation, withdrawal, a reduced ability to interact with others and the potential for violent behavior. Some studies indicate that it can worsen existing mental illnesses and even trigger new ones.

Several Courage beneficiaries and other truthtellers we support have been placed in solitary confinement, for varying reasons that are often connected to their political motivations. Jeremy Hammond has been specifically targeted and punished due to his support outside the prison walls. Many speculated that Chelsea Manning was being tortured in an effort to get her to flip on WikiLeaks and Julian Assange.

Despite the well-documented deleterious effects of solitary, the practice is even used on those with psychological needs — there is little practical distinction between ‘protective custody’ and disciplinary segregation — effectively torturing inmates because the prison cannot adequately provide mental health care. This puts someone like Lauri Love, who faces extradition to the US and who suffers from Asperger’s and depression, at a higher risk than most.

Obama’s action on solitary is a good small step in the right direction toward ending this abusive practice.

Meanwhile, we can also report that Barrett was quite excited to hear of his award.

Source - https://freebarrettbrown.org/2016/0...litary-when-he-won-a-national-magazine-award/

6473d449f516d17d32cea9e9af966d14.jpg

Journalists Are Not Criminals: Barrett Brown Interview

Barrett Brown is a controversial journalist who made international headlines when he was sentenced to 63 months in prison in January of 2015 for, as The Guardian put it, "linking to hacked materiel." He's not a computer hacker, a whistle-blower or a "leaker". He's an independent journalist who some would argue went to prison for the crime of journalism.

Besides the usual poking fun at the federal government which you're used to from this radio show, on this episode of Pursuit of Happiness Radio I spoke with Barrett on the telephone in his federal prison located just outside of San Antonio, Texas. He talked about his trial, life in prison and the current state of free speech laws in America.

http://www.spreaker.com/user/kenwebster/journalists-are-not-criminals-barrett-br
    • Like Like x 3
  39. The Wrong Guy Member

The Barrett Brown Review of Arts and Letters and Prison

Dean Rusk Also Missing, Feared Dead

By Barrett Brown, The Intercept, May 9, 2016

Quote:

When we left off our discussion of Niall Ferguson’s introductory chapter to Kissinger 1923-1968: The Idealist, the former Harvard professor had just finished making his case that Henry Kissinger is subject to a degree of criticism well beyond that encountered by other major political figures. As evidence, he noted that Kissinger had been described in disparaging terms by Hunter S. Thompson, who wrote about pretty much every major political figure in disparaging terms, and that he’d been denounced as a practicing Satanist by David Icke, who’s denounced pretty much every major political figure as a practicing Satanist; rather inexplicably, Ferguson himself even provided an incomplete list of over a dozen other prominent men and entire family dynasties against whom Icke has made this exact charge. It’s the first time I can recall having seen someone actually screw up anecdotal evidence, and I’ve read pretty much everything Martin Peretz used to write for the New Republic back when he still owned it and no one could stop him. Speaking of which, I certainly hope the New Republic is doing okay.

Continued here:
    https://theintercept.com/2016/05/09/barrett-brown-dean-rusk-also-missing-feared-dead/