Customize

Freewinds Refit News June 10, 2008

Discussion in 'Leaks & Legal' started by pooks, Jun 10, 2008.

1. pooks Member

Freewinds Refit News June 10, 2008

To: freewinds@freewinds.org
    Subject: Freewinds Refit News from Christine McNocher
    Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008

Dear Scientologist,

The Freewinds is just about to complete her full top-to-bottom, stem-to-stern refit. What that means for you is whole new orders of magnitude in terms of a distraction-free environment with unparalleled levels of magnificence, aesthetics and of course, the Freewinds’ invaluable services – the fast, friendly and 100 percent standard service for which the Freewinds is renowned.

Attached is a promotional piece. Please read it and then answer the following questions:

Your full name:

1. Have you ever been to the Freewinds before? And if so, what did you get out of coming here?

2. If not, have you ever had an interest in coming to the Freewinds? And if so, what for?

3. Are you interested in coming to the Freewinds for any of the Conventions listed below?

Thank you!

Much love,
    Christine
    Director of Procurement

2567427221_3a78816056_o.jpg
  2. I Member

Re: Freewinds Refit News June 10, 2008

yes.
    mesothelemia
  3. Theta Omega Member

please, people, learn to spell "mesothelioma".
  4. A-non-y-moose Member

since when does teh internet hate machine care for correct spellingz?
  5. Plups Member

I see that the Freewinds is hosting both the International CCHR Convention and the Narconon Convention.

Nice to see them coming clean about their front groups at last... or was this another "Doh!"?
  6. Jack's Bullet Member

I fully support DM going "Doh!" in typical fashion.
  7. Re: Freewinds Refit News June 10, 2008

Has anyone tried to contact the Curacao Drydock Company (which, at last report, was where the Freewinds was located) for an actual update on the asbestos situation? I find it unlikely that they could have decontaminated the whole boat in time to start hosting conventions in July.
  8. captainslug Member

That's not even the right ship in the first image.
  9. avbb Member

Saturday night I saw my first commercial about litigation..."If you have ever been exposed to blue asbestos...mesothelemia...contact..."

Just follow the ambulance!
  10. tazor Member

How long are they gonna take reservations for their drydocked ship? OH, never mind, a thetan can do anything forever, right? LOL
  11. D... Member

How long does it take to take out all the asbestos? From Lawrence Woodcraft's testimony, it was pretty completely infested with it, it would be difficult and costly to take it all out,
  12. Infernanon Member

Is it possible that they've just bought a new ship and are parading it as the "100% NEW FREEWINDS!!!"?.
  13. I Member

in my defense, I thought it was wrong, googled it and it gave no correction for me.

I was in a hurry so didn't check properly in the results.

anyway, if that really is the wrong ship in that picture, I think they may really have gone the route of getting a new ship and saying "the refit was that good!"

or do the thing where it's not the actual ship that matters, just the org, like when they said go to the freewinds at flag.

in fact, now that I think about it, they'll probably do the latter, and say that due to massive upstats they can afford it.
  14. bodger Member

yes.
    mesothelemia

I dont care how its spelt its still funny LOL

I no I should not laugh sorry:sad:
  15. Re: Freewinds Refit News June 10, 2008

I dunno. It looks a little shooped, and it's shown at a different angle, but compare it to the image here:

Image:Freewinds starboard.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The small mast in front, the larger mast on top of the bridge and the radio/radar/thetan detector/whatever ball behind it look the same. The anchor port and small portholes along the side are also in the same place, as is the tiny visible portion of the Freewinds logo. The emblem on the front is a little different: the Wikipedia image, and the images shown in the brochure in the scientology pricing leak on Wikileaks look the same (at least, both have the same stripe pattern), but here they've removed the stripes and changed the feathers (or is it wheat?) and star from gold to blue.

Of course they could still have gone out and gotten themselves a new failboat, but I don't think this picture alone is any indication of that.
  16. Re: Freewinds Refit News June 10, 2008

This could just as well go into Media, but it is also good here. Does anyone speak PAPIAMENTU? It is sort of a blend of Dutch, Spanish, African languages, and Caribbean aboriginal languages, and spelled phonetically half the time. It is a puzzler, and I am pretty good at codes. OK, from yesterday's "EXTRA" of Curacao: An article about the Fleawinds.

KRUSERO FREEWINDS AINDA PENDIENTE DEN DOK
    on 09-06-2008 09:21
    WILLEMSTAD,-E barku krusero ku tin Kòrsou komo su “homeport” Freewinds ta pendiente ainda den Dok.
    Di parti di Dok EXTRA a komprondé ku e kompania ku ta manehá Freewinds huntu ku Dok a keda di saka un informashon na prensa pa splika kon e situashon ta di e barku, pero te ainda nada. Dok no ke bisa muchu pasobra ta trata di un kliente di e kompania, asina direktor interino Frank Esser a duna di konosé.
    Ta for di 25 di aprel dje aña aki a konstatá problema ku asbèst riba e barku durante di trabounan di remodelashon. Asta a bai asina leu ku a stòp tur trabou riba e barku i a laga hasi investigashon sofistiká pa determiná kon serio e problema di kontaminashon ta.

Mas ku un luna despues di e kaso EXTRA a bai chèk i te ainda e barku ta den Dok manera e foto ta ilustrá. Di parti di Dok e direktor interino Sr. Esser a deklará na EXTRA ku nan a sinta huntu ku Freewinds pa traha un informashon ku mester bai pa prensa, pero ku esei ainda no ta kla. Di tur manera komo ku ta trata di un relashon ku un kliente, Dok no ta bai saka niun informashon sin ku Freewinds ta kompletamente di akuerdo ku esaki.
    EXTRA a komprondé ku aparentemente DAZ, ku ta Servisio pa Asuntunan di Labor i Seguridat(arbeidszorg) a sera e buki dje kaso aki. Parse ku a chèk e último kontròlnan i lo a konstatá ku no tin motibu mas di prekupashon, ke men ku kontaminashon no ta un kaso mas. E barku Freewinds mes ta na un otro waf pa kaba ku trabounan di fura parti paden. Bou di supervishon di DAZ i DOK tur trabou por a sigui kana.

Den e anochi di 25 di aprel ora ku a anunsiá e kaso esaki a kousa basta prekupashon den komunidat, pero despues a resultá ku e kaso ta trata mas tantu trahadónan di Dok ku a traha riba òf den serkania di e barku. Segun informashonnan risibí, tur chekeo médiko di trahadónan di Dok ku tabata den bisindario di e barku a sali negativo indikando ku niun dje trahadónan no a mustra señal di kontaminashon.
    E profeshonalnan Cedric Martina i Ronald Sluis ta esnan ku a hasi e investigashon huntu ku profeshonalnan ulandes.

I put this into a very, very bad Papiamentu=>English "translator," which almost makes it more confusing:

cruiser freewinds still pendiente in dok on 09-06-2008 09:21 willemstad,
    -e barku cruiser with have curaçao as his “homeport” freewinds is pendiente still in dok. of part of dok extra owing to understand with the kompania with is manehá freewinds together with dok owing to stay of throw up one information at prensa for splika how the situashon is of the barku, but till still nothing. dok not want tell too because is deal of one client of the kompania, so director interino frank esser owing to give of know. is for of 25 of april dje year here owing to ascertain problem with asbestos on the barku during of trabounan of remodelashon. even owing to go so far with owing to halt all work on the barku and owing to let make investigation sofistiká for determiná how earnest the problem of kontaminashon is. more with one month after of the affair extra owing to go audit and till still the barku is in dok as the photograph is illustrate. of part of dok the director interino sr. esser owing to declare at extra with they owing to sit together with freewinds for work one information with have to go for prensa, but with that still do not ready. of all as as with is deal of one relashon with one client, dok do not go throw up niun information without with freewinds is completely of accord with this. extra owing to understand with apparently daz, with is crockery set for asuntunan of job and seguridat(arbeidszorg) owing to close the book dje affair here. look like with owing to audit the last kontròlnan and will owing to ascertain with not have account more of prekupashon, want mean with kontaminashon do not one affair more. the barku freewinds self is at one another platform for finish with trabounan of fura part inside. below ; supervishon of daz and dok all work can owing to follow walk. in the night of 25 of april hour with owing to anunsiá the affair this owing to activate enough prekupashon in komunidat, but after owing to resultá with the affair is deal more much trahadónan of dok with owing to work on or in serkania of the barku. according informashonnan receive, all chekeo médiko of trahadónan of dok with was in bisindario of the barku owing to leave negative indikando with niun dje trahadónan not owing to show sign of kontaminashon. the profeshonalnan cedric martina and ronald sluis is esnan with owing to make the investigation together with profeshonalnan dutch. come across

=====

I did figure out that "crockery" should really be "service" (as in a set of dishes). My take on this is that the ship is still waiting in the dock, and nobody really wants to say what's going on; doctor is not satisfied? and a lot of other impenetrable info.

I wonder if Cedric Martina or Ronald Sluis would say anything.
  17. XtremeNL Member

Looks like the schedule is diffirent from the last one. I wonder when they´ll send yet another exciting enw schedule!
  18. Ann O'Nymous Member

How long do you think it takes to buy and adapt a ship like that? It could not be done on time, imho.
  19. anonymous1312 Member

You would think it not possible but then they have shed loads of Sea Org staff and RPF's to do the grunt work. I'd rather for their sakes they were working on a replacement ship than on the real Freewinds.

I would not put it past the scilons to pull a rabbit out of the hat on this one but I suspect someone is getting in the neck all the time for not getting ready by the impossible deadlines they keep setting. Was end of May, then end of June, now it seems some time in July.

Also wouldn't put it past them to leave the real Freewinds impounded. Then again, anyone been in touch with the company that did the initial check on it; didn't they say they had everyone out there working on it? (Sorry forgot its name, should be in the thread somewhere.)
  20. Re: Freewinds Refit News June 10, 2008

cruiser freewinds still pendiente in dok on 09-06-2008 09:21 willemstad,
    -e barku cruiser with have curaçao as his “homeport” freewinds is pendiente still in dok. of part of dok "extra" understand with the kompania with is manehá freewinds together with dok owing to stay of throw up one information at prensa for splika how the situashon is of the barku, but till still nothing. dok not want tell too because is deal of one client of the kompania, so director interino frank esser owing to give of know.

is for of 25 of april dje year here owing to ascertain problem with asbestos on the barku during of trabounan of remodelashon. even owing to go so far with owing to halt all work on the barku and owing to let make investigation sofistiká for determiná how earnest the problem of kontaminashon is. more with one month after of the affair extra owing to go audit and till still the barku is in dok as the photograph is illustrate. of part of dok the director interino sr. esser owing to declare at extra with they owing to sit together with freewinds for work one information with have to go for prensa, but with that still do not ready. of all as as with is deal of one relashon with one client, dok do not go throw up niun information without with freewinds is completely of accord with this. extra owing to understand with apparently daz, with is crockery set for asuntunan of job and seguridat(arbeidszorg) owing to close the book dje affair here. look like with owing to audit the last kontròlnan and will owing to ascertain with not have account more of prekupashon, want mean with kontaminashon do not one affair more. the barku freewinds self is at one another platform for finish with trabounan of fura part inside. below ; supervishon of daz and dok all work can owing to follow walk. in the night of 25 of april hour with owing to anunsiá the affair this owing to activate enough prekupashon in komunidat, but after owing to resultá with the affair is deal more much trahadónan of dok with owing to work on or in serkania of the barku. according informashonnan receive, all chekeo médiko of trahadónan of dok with was in bisindario of the barku owing to leave negative indikando with niun dje trahadónan not owing to show sign of kontaminashon. the profeshonalnan cedric martina and ronald sluis is esnan with owing to make the investigation together with profeshonalnan dutch. come across

"Extra" understands from the company that manages Freewinds... they have not wanted to give out any information to explain the situation until now because of the client's wish, so we are told by interim director Frank Esser.

On 25 April of this year a problem with asbestos was discovered during remodeling work on the ship [barku], even going so far as to halt work on the ship so there could be a sophisticated investigation to determine how serious was the problem. More than a month later, "Extra" checked and the ship was still at the dock, as the photograph illustrates [maybe in the print edition]. On the part of the dock, interim director Esser .... but that they are still not ready, because it is their deal with the client [Scientology], and they would not give out info unless it was completely OK with them.

"Extra" understands from DAZ, which is a service about job and worker security [i think it's the Directorate of Labor], they want to close the book on the affair... looks like they will check the last control [?], and see if there is no longer a worrisome [prekupashon] amount; if not, they want to be done with it. Freewinds is almost ready with ... work on the inside...

provisional de-coding of Papamientu=> English gobbledegook seems like they might be about to let them go -- I can't read any more of this at the moment... there is more to de-code...
  21. I Member

going from rough decoding in above post, it looks to me like everyone involved is trusting the CoS a bit too much.

if checking the last control is looking up inspection results, and if they're wanting to close the book on it, then that's not good.

if the relevant authorities are just looking up results from other people rather than overseeing their own inspections, that opens the gate for scilon lies.

we know that the company supposedly doing the cleaning is a little obscure one from america, although IIRC no scilon links were found. they might be in the cults pocket, and say it's all clean after doing a cursory job for less money.

harpoons have landed in all the mainstream media in cult-affected countries informing everyone about the corruption and coverup of the asbestos in the ship, but did anyone put much effort into letting the people investigating know that?
  22. XenuLovesU Member

YES. A lot of effort went into contacting, directly, folks involved in the investigation (both Dutch health officials, and the Director of the Panamanian Merchant Maritime Authority)... including putting the Director in touch with Lawrence Woodcraft, and giving him a copy of Lawrence's 2001 declaration.

It was read -- questions were asked -- last I heard they were working to try to figure out where the chain of notification broke down (this was mid-may).
  23. Re: Freewinds Refit News June 10, 2008

edit: what XenuLovesU said.
  24. XenuLovesU Member

Still dunno how they're going to sail without a current Passenger Ship Safety Certificate:

DNV Exchange - FREEWINDS - Certificates

required by the 1974 International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS).

Dunno how often DNV updates their database... or if this is something issued right at the end of a refit before they put back out to sea. I'd imagine they'd want to get the cert as late in the process as possible since it doesn't make sense for the expiration clock to be running while it's still in drydock.
  25. TigerUppercut Member

:frustration:

Is it just me, or do these folks have the worst fucking copy editors ever?

oh hai, OSA! tell the asthmatic dwarf David Miscarriage that he needs to hire a new marketing department. I could make better ads in my sleep.

:fuckyou::flowers::fuckyou::flowers::fuckyou: :flowers:
  26. Ann O'Nymous Member

It was some weeks ago, but I remained on the impression that this small company was in charge last time and that nothing decisive has been said about the present situation: http://forums.whyweprotest.net/17-archive/freewinds-us-team-clean-asbestos-12605/5/#post231882
  27. auchraw Member

The firm doing the refit is AirQuest, Inc. based in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. It appears to be legit; at least it is listed in business registers. 'A staffer answering phones at the company said the entire staff was on the job' (Radar 05.06.08). This suggests a very small company or a very big job or both.
  28. pooks Member

It'd be awesome to interview a few of the people from AirQuest when they return from
    the Freewinds, but they'll probably all be required to sign non disclosure agreements.

Here's a funny report of what happened when the Carpet Dudes
    ran into the RPF.

'Carpet Dudes' at FLAG
  29. Optimisticate Member

I thought the Co$ said in a recent press release that the Sea Argh was handling the thetanous blue asbestos?
  30. anonEmouser Member

Hmm....

Company HQ appears to be based out of someone's home, per Google Maps.
  31. Re: Freewinds Refit News June 10, 2008

Link is 404. Is it the same story as this one?
  32. anonEmouser Member

Company appears to check out, however they use subcontractors to do dirty work. Might be interesting to see who bid the lowest for this job...

"RPF Cleaners: We'll run to finish your job!"

Definitely a small outfit though--hardly one you'd think could handle a cruise ship decon job. Guess it comes down to how many contractors you hire.
    Edit: The website is truthful--the company was founded in 2002. And it was operated out of a PO box until 2004 when it changed its registered HQ to the current address, which is indeed the director/owner's home.

REALLY small outfit, then.
  33. Zak McKracken Member

Maybe 'RPF Cleaners' got outbid by 'RPF's RPF Cleaners'?

Rather than an actual contractor that actually hires outside workers-
    perhaps they're a training/management outfit that supervises
    "Ethically Challenged" Scientologists working their way up the bridge
    one overt at a time....
  34. pooks Member

Yes, that's the same one. Thanks
  35. exOT8Michael Member

As seen on a.r.s. today

http://www.huliq.com/61405/scientology-luxury-cruise-ship-remains-loc...

Six weeks after public health authorities on the Caribbean island of
    Curaçao (Netherlands Antilles) impounded the Scientology cult's 440-
    foot luxury liner "Freewinds," the ship remains locked down. Experts
    advise that decontaminating the ship would cost millions of dollars
    and may not even be possible. Meanwhile, the cult continues to solicit
    funds for cruises that will not happen.
    After the ship was quarantined on April 26, the Curaçao Drydock
    Company was contracted to carry out refurbishment and repairs. The
    contamination was so extensive that the company decided that the risk
    to its workers was too great, and ceased operations. At that point
    Scientology sent a team of its "Sea Org" internal paramilitary force
    to clean the ship themselves. They are bringing the blue asbestos by
    the truckload to dump at the island's Selikor landfill site at
    Malpais.
    Incredibly, top leaders of the Scientology cult were informed of the
    pervasive contamination back in 1987, but chose to do nothing. Until
    the 1960s, when the Freewinds was built, blue asbestos was often used
    in shipbuilding (it was not known at the time to be so carcinogenic).
    Former Scientologist Lawrence Woodcraft, a licensed architect by
    profession, supervised interior remodeling work on the ship in 1987
    when the cult first purchased it. According to a legal affidavit made
    after Woodcraft left the cult in 2001, Woodcraft had notified
    Scientology officials immediately about the widespread blue asbestos
    and the dangers it posed. The response he received was that he should
    carry on with the work, and leave the asbestos where it was. Since
    Scientology founder L. Ron Hubbard had never mentioned that asbestos
    was dangerous, they were not going to worry about it. Scientologists
    believe that disease is caused not by microbes or toxic substances,
    but by the presence of "suppressive persons" (SPs), or people who
    disagree with Scientology and its goals. Moreover, Scientologists
    believe that high-level Sea Org members cannot get cancer or any other
    disease.
    Meanwhile, Scientology continues to promote cruises on the Freewinds,
    receiving large cash advances from Scientologist prospective
    passengers, who have been informed only that the ship is going through
    an ordinary refurbishment. Already, the cult has missed several
    planned sailing dates, but it continues to seek funds for voyages in
    the near future. According to Radar Online, the cult has scheduled
    conventions starting in July and running through November.
    On May 1, the cult's spokesperson lied to Radar Online with the
    following "spin":
    "The next cruise is scheduled for Thursday, May 8. Inspections done on
    April 15, 2008 and April 28, 2008 again confirmed that the air quality
    is safe, in accordance with the standards set by the Occupational
    Safety and Health Administration and the U.S. Clean Air Act." None of
    this, of course, was true.
    The cult's promotional materials give further information about
    Scientology's advance-booking scheme:
    "The new conventions calendar aboard the brand new Freewinds is out
    and we are looking forward to seeing you aboard! Look over the
    different conventions and let me know which convention(s) you plan to
    attend."
    Yet all the extremely hazardous "cleaning" of the blue asbestos may be
    in vain. According to officials in the Netherlands' Ministry of
    Environment, which dealt with an asbestos-laden ship in 2006 that was
    eventually demolished, the cost to make Freewinds safe for passengers,
    if it is even possible, may run into many millions of Euros/dollars,
    probably more than the ship itself is worth.
    The ship is used by Scientology for advanced training in "Operating
    Thetan" levels, for members who have paid fees of between USD$100,000
    and $400,000, as well as for tax-deductible Caribbean cruises for its
    members and their families. Curaçao has been the ship's homeport since
    it was purchased by Scientology, as it is not permitted to dock in any
    US port.
    Many Scientologist celebrities have spent time aboard the Freewinds,
    including Tom Cruise, Katie Holmes, Suri Cruise, John Travolta, Kelly
    Preston, Chick Corea, Lisa Marie Presley, Catherine Bell, Kate
    Ceberano, and Juliette Lewis. "Now" magazine reported that Tom Cruise
    has been urged to seek medical attention regarding potential asbestos
    exposure, however a representative for Cruise stated he has
    "absolutely no knowledge" of the recent asbestos controversy. Cruise,
    Holmes, Travolta and Preston have celebrated birthdays and other
    events on the Freewinds. Scientology has official "religion" status in
    the USA, which means that it is exempt from paying taxes, and that its
    members can declare any Scientology-related expense as tax-deductible.
    Raw blue asbestos is the most hazardous form of asbestos, and has been
    banned in the United Kingdom since 1970. Blue asbestos fibers are very
    narrow and thus easily inhaled, and are a major cause of mesothelioma.
    Mesothelioma is a form of cancer which can develop in the lining of
    the lungs and chest cavity, the lining of the abdominal cavity, or the
    pericardium sac surrounding the heart. The cancer is incurable, and
    can manifest over 40 years after the initial exposure to asbestos.
    "This is the most dangerous type of asbestos because the fibres are
    smaller than the white asbestos and can penetrate the lung more
    easily," said toxicologist Dr. Chris Coggins in a statement published
    in "OK! Magazine." Dr. Coggins went on to note that "Once diagnosed
    with mesothelioma, the victim has six months to a year to live. It
    gradually reduces lung function until the victim is no longer able to
    breathe and dies."
    The Scientology cult was founded in 1950 by science fiction writer L.
    Ron Hubbard. Its primary goal is to "clear the planet" by
    "obliterating psychiatry." Scientology's many front groups include the
    Citizens' Commission on Human Rights (CCHR), Criminon, Narconon, and
    Applied Scholastics. Scientology claims to be the "world's fastest
    growing religion," with some 8 million members, but mainstream
    demographic surveys have shown that the number of members is closer to
    55,000 worldwide, and declining. Scientology is currently under
    investigation in several countries for a variety of human rights
    abuses, including child abuse, violation of child labor laws,
    kidnapping and running secret internal prison camps, as well as for a
    number of financial crimes.
  36. nala.smithee Member

404. Correct link:
    Scientology luxury cruise ship remains locked down; Cult put thousands at high cancer risk

It appears to be a copy-paste from this wikinews article. There is no new sourcing in that article (nothing from after May 15). I think the roughly translated news story above is actually our best intel at the moment. Somebody needs to call the dry dock.
  37. XenuLovesU Member

Also from ARS today... anyone familiar with this angle? Might be another avenue to pursue... even if they do manage to get the Failboat out of drydock:

38. BigBeard Member

To add to what XLU snagged from my a.r.s. post above:

The main link to the Basel Convention web site was is: Welcome to Basel Convention

There are tons of documents, mostly in .pdf format, regarding Basel at this site. Remember, it doesn't just address asbestoes, it's aimed at International handling, transport, and disposal of ALL hazardous wastes.

Documents being worked on by the "Open Ended Work Groups" can be found at: Index of /meetings/oewg

The various OWEG's are working different aspects of the Convention that are/will be incorporated in Basel-II, and that signatories can and should be implementing now. OWEG6 appears to be the one primarily involved with asbestoes issues.

The full text of Basel-I in .pdf format is available in several languages, at: Text of the Basel Convention

It is also available in MS-Word format in English and Spanish.

The key sections with regard to the work reportadley being done by $eaBorg personal and just dumping the asbestoes in a landfill are 'Article 4' and 'Article 9' of the Convention.

BigBeard
  39. Ann O'Nymous Member

It is impressive how difficult it is to get precise information about this situation. Here are the main questions, IMHO:

- With the still evolving legal status of Curacao (Curaçao - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), which general legislation is applicable?

- Is the Basel convention applicable in Curacao?

- Has anyone recently heard of the Dutch authority charged of controling the work?
  40. BigBeard Member

First question: I don't know. Someone who knows where/how to check local laws and treaty status info for Curacao would have to check. They were still part of the Netherlands when Basel-I was signed. How/if that carries over if they become independent someone else would have to check..

Second question: Yes. Even if Curacao is not considered a signatory, Panama definately is. And Panama is where Freewinds is registered. So no matter what, at the least Article-7 and Article-6, para 1 would apply and were not conformed with = violation.

Third question: Not me. I was digging into Basel-I for reasons having nothing to do with Curacao when this Freewinds fiasco blew up. So I just passed along some info I thought might be useful.

BigBeard