Customize

Freewinds sealed and blue asbestos confirmed

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by Oinkertron9000, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Drums of War Member

Re: Freewinds sealed and blue abestos confirmed

Does anyone else feel we need a new topic to continue things? 30 pages is becoming heavy and a lot of information is missed out on because of that.

Also, it still puzzles me as to why there is no major media-coverage on this, personally I blame it on the location of the dry-docking. The Netherlands Antilles are rumoured to be quite corrupt so the CoS might be using that to keep things quiet. Furthermore, no one really reports on happenings there, not even the Dutch media.

What I've proposed in IRC is, how about contacting the docking company and asking them to verify the situation? Record it, and add it to a press-release. All in English of course, media wants to be spoon-fed and they need to be sure everything's accurate.

As far as the tales about members suing the COS for the asbestos exposure, this isn't really going to happen until the media gets behind them so they feel a bit secure about it.

Contacts:
    Curacao Drydock Company, Inc. Dokweg 1, Koningsplein, P.O. Box 3012, Curacao, Netherlands Antilles
    Telephone:
    +(5999)-733-0000
    Fax:
    +(5999)-736-5580
    E-mail:
    info@cdmnv.com

The Daily Herald, Bush Road 22, P.O.Box 828, Philipsburg, Sint Maarten, Netherlands Antilles
    Telephone:
    +599-54-25253
    +599-54-25597
    +599-54-20931
    +599-54-37236
    Fax:
    +599-54-25913
  2. felinonymous Member

One of the things that may be holding back media is that this is carnival week and people are not at their desks. I expect that some of that will be alleviated on Monday.
  3. Re: Freewinds sealed and blue abestos confirmed

no problem with the wiki page for me..

near the top
    much lower down

also, on the discussion page, you have GOT to love this great big system sticky:
    there's a good expanding list of articles on the drydock issue at the bottom too Talk:Freewinds - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  4. aluminumcanoe Member

I tipped the insurancenewsnet version of the story to abovethelaw.com, just because the whole story looks like a first-year issue-spotting final from a particularly sadistic torts professor.
  5. gf1570 Member

6. pooks Member

It's fine with me if you start a new thread. Maybe with a summary of info and links
    to get it started.

Patty
  7. YourMother Member

Creepy last sentence on front page of freewinds.org

"The Freewinds is like no other place on Earth. It truly marks the beginning of a voyage to all eternity."

Chills
  8. its.an0nym0us Member

A new thread might be good specifically for activism on this news, and not necessarily to spread breaking news.

Also, what do we think about a full press release?

Something to have ready to send out so that when this story does break in major media, they are made fully aware of the history of this vessel and the coverup. Since, you know, they can't seem to investigate anything past a long distance call to a PR fulffer.

Pressfags, where are you my /b/rothers?

EDIT: o i c what u did thar!
  9. rof Member

We already released the hounds. FYI press releases get put together here.
  10. L337Anon Member

Scientology Website

On The 'Freewinds' Ship- "Needing a safe, aesthetic, distraction-free environment appropriate for ministration of this profoundly spiritual level of auditing, this church of Scientology returned to the sea, far from the crossroads of the workaday world."

Safe?? SAFE???....:frustration::confused:

It's stuffed full of cancer causing agents!! Huffing all that asbestos must have made them stupid.-er.
  11. eclipsael Member

Damn, that's a foreboding statement if I ever saw one. :shock:
  12. exOT8Michael Member

Look at this!
    October 1997 post on a.r.s. about blue asbestos on Freewinds!
    (see topmost post)

alt.religion.scientology | Google Groups

The ship was called the "Boheme" when Scientology first bought it.
  13. rof Member

I could probably do up a whole thread on this but I was googling "curacao corruption" and the like and got a picture of it as an only somewhat reasonable place. The cult registurd their boat thar cuz they suck cock for onny few dollah. Have some links and look into it.

A hippie photog explains the islands.
    This place seems to focus on corruption in St. Maarten.
    The Natalee dead white chick case has 358 people hating Aruba.

And this one is for Dutchfags, a recent (March 08) TV documentary about corruption in the Antilles. Watch it and tell us what they say.
  14. Piranon Member

Hmmm....

From the link random_oldfag provided
    Curacao: Waste Time in the Looniverse! (Skeptical Briefs March 2001)
  15. AnonKiwi Member

Note, I wrote that line ;)

Looks like the press anons have been firing this one out to everyone, and somewhere it stuck! Hehhehehe.
  16. Re: Freewinds sealed and blue abestos confirmed

I've noticed an increase in the last few days of Mesothelioma class action lawsuit ads by attorneys in recent days......
    HAHAHAHA
    LOLOLOLOLOLOL

BTW I emailed the dude in bonaire that did that video exposing the Freewinds for dumping raw sewage all over his island asking for a comment from him, hope he reads his email and gets back to me!
  17. rof Member

We did that on page 10 but it's good you did it again and told us about it again for maximum againature.
  18. Hieronymous Member

I'mmmmmm faiiilllinnnngg awwwaaaayyyy
  19. SenatorXenu Member

Lets just hope we can nail 'em on that too.
  20. Dubber Member

1. The sewage wasn't dumped "all over the island." It was dumped in the liquid waste pool.
    2. The Freewinds very likely wined & dined government officials to get permission for the dumping, making it more difficult to pin the blame on the Freewinds.
  21. Re: Freewinds sealed and blue abestos confirmed

I don't know if anyone else posted a response from him yet, but I just got this email statement from the man who made the expose on Scino's dumping on the island in bonaire or whatever little island it was, he seems very grateful for the attention to his work. Seems like a cool guy.

Keeping the asbestos wet in those pits hmmmm???
    Fire away kids!!
  22. AnonymousNow Member

Man. If I ever saw something ripe for a class action. The COS has been on notice of this latent defect for years. One class action over this could bring down the COS in and of itself. All it will take is a few sea org members who have caught the specific kind of lung cancer caused by asbestos--Mesothelioma-- to get together with a class action attorney. ALL sea org members would be entitled to life-long medical monitoring and pain and suffering, not to mention mass payouts for everyone who has gotten ill. Possibility for even punitive damages.
  23. Anon_1HG Member

24. Snake Member

Jason Beghe did say the ship was a piece of crap! Hahaha This is great!
  25. Re: Freewinds sealed and blue abestos confirmed

The CoS will of course argue they don't own the Freewinds, some other company does, so they're not liable. Hopefully the trial attorneys can show this is just a corporate shell game to try to evade responsibility. But the bonus for us if this happens is it proves in a documented court case that all these umbrella corporations are really controlled by DM. This "piercing the corporate veil" will be important for future litigation, as there are RICO statues that could apply to the Church's use of these corporations to illegally maintain influence and generate revenue from them, while hiding behind them to deny any liability.
  26. Anonvox Member

I think we should contact Dr. Drew, the guy who interviewed Ath.

Remember how pissed he was when he discovered the PC folders?

He's gonna have a shit fit when he finds out about this.
  27. anon1957 Member

It doesn't fucking MATTER what fucking shell company owns the motherfucking Freewinds. The Cult of $cientology is still legally liable for KNOWINGLY exposing its workers and parishioners to blue asbestos. It sold people courses and made others work as "ministers" on a boat that it KNEW was riddled with a toxic chemical and made buckets of $$ in the process.

That is FRAUD. And criminal endangerment, and god only knows what else.
  28. Dammerung Member

Failing on and on and on and on, into the ocean...
  29. Re: Freewinds sealed and blue abestos confirmed

I recommend that all Anons try to contact personal injury attorney firms in their areas to alert them of a possible pool of victims that were knowingly exposed to blue asbestos for at least twenty years. Here's a note I just sent to Weitz & Luxenberg (Personal Injury Lawyer - ReNu, Vioxx, Seroquel, Asbestos) which specializes in asbestos cases:

I don't know if your firm can take any action against the Church of Scientology, but they knowingly exposed countless people to blue asbestos on their cruise ship, the Freewinds, for at least twenty years. I saw your ad on TV and wanted to alert you to a large potential pool of victims that may be suffering from asbestos exposure. Here are some links that verify the story:

http://gawker.com/385646/scientologys-party-boat-docked-due-to-asbestos

Scientology: The Freewinds on Vimeo

Knowing PI attorneys as I do, they will probably take a great interest in this issue.
  30. gf1570 Member

A mere half step ahead of you my friend! Let's call it "Email Sunday:Assbestos we can, ver. 050408"

I have been drafting a similar email to generate awareness and excitement. Not quite finished yet, because I spent a potion of the day collecting contact emails for over 40 law firms in 22 states (inc.CA and FL) who specialize in asbestos lawsuits. Copy this list of addresses directly into you BCC line (or whatever you like) and send away! I even included the bloody semicolons for your copy and pasting pleasure.

How many folks can we get to send out informative emails to these fine litigious types today???? BTW, does anyone know where that list of SCI INC passengers is? I saw it on one of these sites, but forgot where it was. Was list of passengers, year by year, from the last 10-20 years. I thought I would send that list along to give them an idea of who to talk to. Damn my bookmarks!!!

Keep an eye out for more email days! Next, I will release a list of contact emails for child abuse/labor activists and organizations. I am also working on a list of emails to tip off every major TV station and 2 major news papers for the 25 largest cities in the US, plus some national and international news outlets.

More email days to come!!!! Get you copy and paste email lists here!

Law firms specializing in asbestos litigation:

ksammons@vasquezsammons.com; makarem@law-rm.com; kunstler@law-rm.com; folinsky@law-rm.com; wcburgy@nicholllaw.com; areyes@mesolawyers.com; andrsnlw@bellsouth.net; info@gogaliher.com; bmeacham@localnet.com; wjk@knappohlgreen.com; info@reedarmstrong.com; hfsp@il-mo-lawfirm.com; jkurowski@kbslf.com; dcarcol@prodigy.net; tablaw@comcast.net; jkittel@mazur-kittel.com; barbarasmith@serlinglaw.com; attorneys@jaquesadmiralty.com; bmcchesney@gatewayinjurylaw.com; kreeg@reeglawfirm.com; Lori@stltriallawyers.com; info@cantorburger.com; robpeirce@peircelaw.com; kgorecki@peircelaw.com; CSandler@BRBS.com; emnass@hbnpclaw.com; dvc@law4000.com; info@statenlaw.com; dct@rrv.net; steven@smglegal.com; info@cbmclaw.com; offices@bmplaw.net; peter@gemmalaw.com; dnichol@nicholassociates.com; art.gonzalez@bcoonlaw.com; wcburgy@nicholllaw.com; attorney@frankpasternak.com
  31. Re: Freewinds sealed and blue abestos confirmed

Harpoons fired!

Good thinking anons.
    We need to get this everywhere - contact lawfirms/government departments/OSHA/Local Newspapers/Radio/
    And remember affected victims may be anywhere in the world now so as well as the US, lets give some attention to the UK, Australia, the Caribbean, where ever and whoever you can reach.
  32. gf1570 Member

OK, message is sent! Who's next?
  33. gf1570 Member

BTW, could someone put this info up over at OCMB? They haven't activated my registration yet.
  34. AnonKiwi Member

You mean the one I wrote over in the composition area with other anons? Yeah, it's great I know! :D
  35. Flynn Member

I scene this. (found pic. exact Daily Harold unknown)
    68tro8.jpg
  36. xenubarb Member

Speaking of corrupt island officials...
    Yes, they have enabled the FW to operate with impunity. But...these are the same officials who attended expensive, lavish parties aboard the FW. They danced to live music. They ate the shrimp and rockfish platters as the cult schmoozed them, groomed them, and perhaps asked a few tiny favors.

It is possible these officials had heard rumors about the asbestos. I wrote some letters back in 2001 when Woodcraft's story first broke on the web.

I heard back exactly nothing. Zip, zero, bupkis. It was more fun to party on the ship than scrutinize it in ways that might've offended their generous, funloving resident cult, no?

Now their asses and lungs are on the line. Personally, I'd be very angry to learn I'd been knowingly, negligently exposed to this deadly substance. I suspect the free ride in the Dutch Antilles is about over, now that they're aware that their new and moneyed Best Friends have endangered their health.

Perhaps Somalia might allow them to dock. Along with the rest of the pirates there...
  37. WileyCoyote Member

Bwah! I get this mental picture (from a vid posted elsewhere on this site) when I hear that: YouTube - Asbestos Party on the Freewinds

With those local yokel officials sitting there with their mouths gaping open at the big Scilon star boogieing in front of them.

I know a lot of people keep saying that the major media outlets are just "taking their time" to fact check and verify before airing stories about this, but I am skeptical its ever going to happen. To do so adequately they'd have to pay to send reporters abroad, and I'm betting that's not happening. In fact, didn't someone here post about being in contact with the original reporter? He'd be able to confirm if new media people showed on a small little island (they'd probably want to talk to him anyway). He should be asked. And my skeptical heart says nobody has. The media needs to be PUSHED into this, I almost think.
  38. CVAnonymous Member

I agree, Wiley. Actually, I don't think they can even be pushed. They're going to ignore it, just like they ignore everything else. Right after the i-report went up, I was contacted by CNN. It's been days, and I've emailed them asking what, if anything, was happening with the story, sending them the contact information for the drydock company, etc. so they can verify information. They haven't even had the courtesy to reply. As far as I'm concerned, they can bite my ass.