Customize

French trial: the media

Discussion in 'Media' started by Olrik, May 25, 2009.

1. Ann O'Nymous Member

Re: French trial: the media

Good stuff. Can't wait for the France 24 piece.
  2. TinyDancer Member

Re: French mag - VSD - feature on the CoS May09

fix'd.
  3. Herro Member

Oh yeah, "Check out this stuff some people on the internet sent me" would be happily accepted at a trial in the global spotlight.
  4. Anonymous Member

Protip: These documents also exist in hard copy, and there are witnesses who can confirm their authenticity. The internet can be used to make somebody aware of the existence and the relevance of these documents and tapes, and then they can select which documents would be needed, and those can be sent in original form or notarized copy to the court.
  5. indeedindeed Member

The CNN report about the german situation was ok and factual except for the bit about the Nazi comparisons. IMHO most people who make these comparisons base them on the anti-democratic stance of the Church of Scientology -and the existence of labor camps and Hubbard's comments about lower levels on the tone scale ("abrupt deletion" etc) if they know that much- and not on the idea that the Nazis "brainwashed" their members. Also the report makes it sound like the interior ministers believed CoS was involved in coup d'etat like activities. That's not completely wrong, but again, the point is rather that the basic attitude, as demonstrated by the policies, is anti-democratic and that there is a political dimension and the goal of power, which could lead to abolishment of constitutional rights if it were to push through.
    But it's great CNN reports about the french trial at all and does so in a neutral and extensive fashion.
  6. TypingChimp Member

I guess David Miscavige needs to word clear the phrase "I'm fucked," because he will have much cause to say that for a long time to come.
  7. Anonymous Member

In the literal sense, when he shares a cell with Bubba?
  8. TypingChimp Member

No, that would be "I'm ass-raep'd," though if I were him, I'd be word clearing that one too, just to be safe.
  9. mnql1 Member

rgine20090527.jpg

Régine (center), the second plaintiff, testified on Wed. May 27.

Source: Ces patrons qui perdent la tête pour la scientologie | Tribune de Genève

Quick translation:

Bosses who lose their head over Scientology
    Bad moments for the sect before the Correctional Tribunal

JEAN-NOËL CUÉNOD PARIS | 28.05.2009 | 00:01

It was "Boss day" at the trial of the Scientology sect. Yesterday [May 27], the twelfth Correctional Chamber of the Paris Tribunal heard about two very different business leaders, both with a common passion for the Church of Scientology, which stands accused as a legal entity, along with seven of its directors, of organized fraud.

The first boss is now deceased, but Régine, his former employee, has maintained her participation as a civil party against the sect. This plumpish blonde mother is one of the rare plaintiffs with the moral strength to face the ordeal of the trial.

"Do you cheat on your husband?"

This plaintiff, now in her fifties, is not lacking in character. Looking slightly ill at ease in her black trouser suit, Régine described the pressure she endured: "Two months after being hired as sales associate for the real estate agency belonging to B., I was surprised by the fact that the salary I was promised did not match the sum I was paid. I spoke about this to my boss, who replied that it came from me, that there were problems. But I could resolve these problems by taking a communication course. Without mentioning Scientology. I found out that this course was given by the sect when I went to the address he gave me."

Régine noticed that the questionnaire she had to fill in resembled the test she took before she was hired, a test which she called "looney" at the hearing. And improper: she was asked whether she cheated on her husband! Régine refused to go further. Her boss was furious. He explained all the benefit she would get from the sect. B. became insistent, insulting, and threatening. Tired of resisting, she took two other courses. But she categorically refused to join the sect. Her professional life became hell. Her boss would not leave her alone and even harassed her when she was not working. Finally, seeing that Régine would never become a Scientologist, he fired her and evicted her from her apartment.

The case of the second boss, A., is particularly spectacular. Summoned as a witness, he preferred not to show up. It was his family that filed a complaint against Scientology. A. was at the head of a prosperous business in Britanny which specialized in prototypes of synthetic material. As a Scientologist, this company chairman poured considerable sums of money into the sect, up to 12% of the total payroll.

Scientology finally refunded 74,661 Euros, but later, A. again withdrew 76,000 Euros from his company for three organizations dependent on the sect. The company's workers eventually went on strike against their boss. The company has since been sold.

In addition, A. gave the sect more than 150,000 Euros from his family budget.
  10. Re: French trial: the media

I think they would phrase it a bit differently. Like "Hey look at this stuff the Church of Scientology's founder or other top executive wrote that falsifies the defendant's claims!"

Quit being a jerk. I'm beginning to see why so many people here are suspicious of you.
  11. AnonLover Member

oh this is a juicy one!!!

we should show catholic.org some <3 for digging abit deeper than the rest!
    DIGG Scientology on Trial in France - Catholic Online
  12. Ann O'Nymous Member

Thanks.
  13. TypingChimp Member

Even if he is suspect, of which I'm not convinced either way, groupthink is cancer, and he's a highly effective chemo. Even when he trolls, he gets others to think. What is a knife without a whetstone?
  14. Re: French trial: the media

Serrated?
  15. Anonymous Member

One could also ask:
    What is a lung without a cancerous lesion...
    an apple without a worm...
    a silver lining without a cloud...
    a thundering locomotive without a derailment...
    a mighty oak without creeping bark fungus...

Are you aware that "chemo" is essentially poison?
  16. TypingChimp Member

D'oh! Okay, how about this: What is a santoku without a whetstone?

Yes, but it can be necessary. If it becomes necessary, I'd rather have a nasty cure than an even nastier disease.
  17. Ann O'Nymous Member

Please stop derailing this thread.
  18. SickLab Member

^^
  19. lothar Member

Anyone catch Perez Hilton covering this. Brings it to a new audience, especially with the Twitter wars with tubby.

Perez Hilton: The French Are Taking $cientology Down!
  20. Re: French trial: the media

I, for one, DEMAND more thread derailment!
  21. iaxiloll Member

From September 2008 it actually seems to have more information in it than the recent TV News reports.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INXKGCZjA-w&feature=channel_page]YouTube - Sunrise Australia :Scientology Charged with Fraud in France[/ame]
  22. iaxiloll Member

Lol fixt
  23. Ann O'Nymous Member

24. Re: French trial: the media

Perez, and a lot of other people, never seem to get that Xenu is Scientology's bad guy. They always imply or state that he's worshiped. I don't know if it's worth bringing to his attention, as it's still funny. Just one of my pet-peeves I guess.
  25. DaftAnon Member

More news, less derail.

kthnx.
  26. mnql1 Member

The comedian with the finger puppet at 0:16 and 1:06 in the May 27 CNN report is Zorro on OCMB, where he reported that he has been present for the past three days in court and was punched in the chest and pushed by a Scientology goon. Gendarmes witnessed the incident and took the offender's id.
  27. TinyDancer Member

Zorro was hilarious in the video! He gets pushed around quite a bit. I'm glad it was witnessed.
  28. Mutante Member

I think you're missing the point. The likes of Perez communicate in sound bites with millions of people every day and what's more snappy?

Xenu Worshippers, lol!!!

or

Those who acknowledge the existence of imaginary evil space lord Xenu, who is really more like Satan in the Jewish/Christian/etc. tradition, and credit him with an unseen infestation of alien souls that afflict us all'.

So long as people Google 'Xenu' then mission accomplished.
  29. basil Member

Is that the guy that joined us in London a couple of times?
  30. Sponge Member

Yes, the French clown, aka Nono la Patate. Nice guy.

[IMG]
  31. Vir Member

Xenuphobics

fewer syllables, 9000 times more factual
  32. JohnB2008 Member

zOMG, ze frogs speak English. Viva la France.

The report, is here, motherfuckers. There is lots of detail from ze French - lots of fapping material, and very well written English.

brb fap fap fap fap fap fap fap fap
  33. Vir Member

That's the 2007 report.
  34. Mutante Member

xenuphobia.jpg
  35. anonymous1312 Member

With respect to the defendants answer that the victims were willing, conscience and consenting so it wasn't fraud this is surely hot air.

Many victims of fraud are willing, conscience and consenting because they don't know they're being defrauded. It's only if and when they find out they've been defrauded that they tend to get upset.

That aside though we all know the organisation calling itself the church of scientology uses a lot of psychological tricks and pressure to coerce payment as well as outright badgering and harassment.

We've already heard the plaintiff was introduced to a loan company and accompanied to get money, we know this happens all the time in the organisation.

I really hope this trial ends well, with a well deserved guilty verdict that will carry at the inevitable appeal. I am however somewhat pessimistic but if nothing else the publicity is a big win and the fight will still go on.
  36. Anonymous Member

It does, but every time the higher ups find out about it - or rather that they find out that it became public - it becomes a flap that needs to be fixed and sometimes people get declared for it.
  37. Anonymous Member

38. anonymous1312 Member

Yeah, the "higher ups" always distance themselves from such things to protect themselves. They know damn well such things happen but they ignore it because it gets results. Then when something happens and it gets investigated they're all "OMG WTF, that's happening in our organisation!? Rogue individuals. Internal discipline. No longer with organisation. Lessons learned. Steps taken. Nothing to see here..."

This applies to all organisations that put excessive pressure on minions for results that pretty much force them in to unethical and sometimes illegal practices; even governments can work this way with "plausible deniability". The organisation calling itself the church of scientology is perhaps the worst though because of their obsession with STATS and being UPSTAT all the time.