Customize

Gasoline strike?

Discussion in 'Iran' started by Bah, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Bah

According to wikipedia, 50-70% of Iran's government revenue comes from gas and oil exports. Since Iran needs lots of money to pay the basij, police, army, etc. to put down protesters (supposedly they are being paid rather well, and are being brought in from other countries), maybe people should be encouraged to severely cut or eliminate gasoline use to drive the price down and cripple Iran's ability to pay these groups? A bit of a long term strategy, but a strategy nonetheless.
  2. Smart. What services do you think they will cut before the police, military etc. in a crisis situation? Hospitals and social services. Who would really suffer? The Iranian people.
  3. ech0 Member

They already arrest Iranians who enter the hospital. I fear what they do to them from there.

I think the Iranian people are hardier than that. They can put up with a little bit of discomfort as long as they have food & water, if it might mean bringing down a brutal government.

This is a good idea. It may also cause other oil producing countries to put pressure on the Iranian government to stop abusing their own people.
  4. It's a good idea if you use retard logic, or want to hurt the Iranian people and give support to the establishment.

If 70% of Iran's revenue comes from oil and gas exports, using logic one could conclude that a lot of Iranians earn their living from that particular industry. If measures would be taken that would reduce oil and gas exports, it would only hurt those hardworking Iranians, while Ahmadinejad and Khameini lounge by the pool sipping champagne. And the majority of Iranians, who are neutral, would not like the West meddling with their livelyhood and thus lend their support to those who oppose them.

Just keep your dirty American fingers out of this one and we'll see how it turns out. Oh yeah, and Iran exports most of their oil and gas to China. I doubt they care about Iranian domestic matters.
  5. ...hehehe :)
  6. Bah

A couple points

1. The idea isn't to shut down the oil industry in Iran and make everyone get fired, but to temporarily reduce the profit for the Iranian government from oil and increase the strain on the government's ability to pay people.

2. I don't think the US directly mports oil from Iran, but as the largest consumer of oil, the US has the power to reduce the price of oil on the global market substantially. In other words, China won't pay $60 for Iran oil if everyone else is selling for $30.
  7. Join Oil Industry Support Promote the cause/ Activism forum
  8. ech0 Member

This is a global forum, so this isn't just the US who can pitch in. Although we do appreciate every yankee out there that does.
  9. Dangerous-Boy Member

an oil strike brought the shah down.
  10. Futures trading distorting oil prices - illegal

PVM Oil Futures, a London-based division of the world’s biggest broker of over-the-counter derivatives, has lost almost $10 million after falling victim to a rogue trader.

The unauthorized trades in the early hours of Tuesday morning are reported to have been brokered by Steve Perkins, a senior, long-standing trader in futures on the Brent oil contract. He is understood to have been suspended from his post.

A spokesman for PVM Oil refused to confirm the identity of the trader and said the company had launched an investigation and continued to operate normally.

The rogue trades are widely believed to have caused global crude oil prices to spike to their highest level in more than eight months — a leap that traders and analysts had struggled to explain.

Oil breached $73 a barrel during Asian trade on Tuesday, up by more than $1.50 a barrel in under half an hour at around 2 a.m.

More than 16 million barrels of Brent crude oil traded in just over half an hour, according to Reuters exchange data, an unprecedented amount for a market that typically trades less than one million barrels before Europe opens.

The volume of crude traded during Asian trading was almost double the current daily output of Saudi Arabia, the world’s largest oil exporter.
  11. It's hard for the US to cut down the oil use.

All cities in the US don't have public transportation nor can people get to work any other way.

I know where I live if I didn't drive my car to work, the only other options I would have is to take a taxi (still using gas) or walk. I can't walk 25 miles to work.

Carpool....that would help cut down the use of gas some and save you money.

For the US cutting down on the use of oil is hard, we have become dependent on it.
  12. My uncle sam has enough oil in tanks to weather the storm.
  13. American's can undo foreign dependence better than ne1.

14. Oh I think for ourselves at the least we need to undo our dependence, but it is something that will take a LOT of time. Heck if for no other reason because the cost of gas is likely to go WAY up and the economy is not so good right now.

If people can't get to work, they lose their jobs and right now there are thousands and thousands of people that would GLADLY have any job for just about any pay. If I couldn't come to work because I was trying to do an oil strike my company could have me replaced in HOURS.

I also must take care of myself and my family.

The oil issue in the US is a problem, but not one that anything can be done about quickly. We are looking for quick solutions right now for Iran. People are dying there and the oil in the US is a longterm solution, not a quick fix that is needed.
  15. Hirundininae Member

The Oil market is considerably more complicated than that. I would suggest OPEC have far greater leverage over price fixing than America as a consumer.

Tactical energy strikes are a great idea. Partaken by the civil servants employed by the NIOC they would demonstrate solidarity with the protesters on the streets and act as a powerful negotiating leverage for Mousavi. Long term energy strikes (to dry Iran of oil revenue) would be a disaster. The revenue is essential for the maintenance of and R&D investment in Iran's oil industry (most of the hardware from extraction to refining to tankers is Iranian tech). Such a move would make Iran's most precious commodity dependent on substantial foreign direct investment.
  16. They can't use the hospitals right now anyway, because they basiji are waiting there to arrest them. So what difference does it make?