Customize

Girl's nose ring is part of her spiritual belief. Gets ACLU help to challenge school

Discussion in 'Freedom of Expression' started by Sponge, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Sponge Member

Girl's nose ring is part of her spiritual belief. Gets ACLU help to challenge school

Caught this bizarro story in my news searches merely because it had scientology mentioned in it but is nothing to do with it.

St. Louis Jewish Light: Editorial - Editorial: Open Sesame Street

tl;dr
    School tells girl she can't wear her nose ring because it is against dress code.
    Girl with a nose ring tells school that she (and her mother) are members of The Church of Body Modification.
    ACLU steps in to help her challenge the school policy.
  2. Anonymous Member

Re: Girl's nose ring is part of her spiritual belief. Gets ACLU help to challenge sch

Why the Hell can't the school district just leave that poor girl alone? So she has a nose ring and chooses to express herself differently! So what? She's not harming anyone.

Bastards...
  3. Anonymous Member

4. Anonymous Member

Re: Girl's nose ring is part of her spiritual belief. Gets ACLU help to challenge sch

No sexy pics?

I am disappoint.

bodmod.jpg
  5. N.A.T.E Member

Looks like some asshole turned a tattoo parlor into a church. I wonder if I can turn my local McDonald's into a church.
  6. Anonymous Member

mcdonalds-jesus.jpg
  7. Consensus Member

Finally!

Next time a chick turns me down for being a fatty, I'll accuse her of religious intolerance.

I'll be ROLLING in pussy!

... that's how it works, right?
  8. basil Member

It's not "body modification", it's "body mutilation".

She's 14. School did right. Parents need a slap for abusing their kid by letting her have a nose piercing.
  9. Ann O'Nymous Member

Not only scientology is able to abuse the religious angle.
  10. Anonymous Member

You can keep your snobbish opinions to yourself thank you very much, and perhaps go back to your seniors bingo game.
  11. Anonymous Member

100% Agreed
  12. Anonymous Member

fuckin' hippies
  13. basil Member

Nothing "snobbish" - just a statement of fact.

Not sure why you even put it in "freedom of expression" anyway because it's complete bullshit anyway that they even drag in a made-up "religious angle" to try and justify their twisted thinking.

Only in america...
  14. Anonymous Member

I certainly think that the religious angle is a little far-fetched, but the girl should be allowed to choose what she wants to put on her own body. If that's something that her family is comfortable with her having, then what business is it of the school to tell her "no"? She isn't hurting anyone by having a nose ring and she sees it as a way to express herself. Why should she be forced to remove something that hurts nobody and is her own choice to have?
  15. basil Member

She's 14. She doesn't make choices for herself.

Normally the parents make those decisions but it seems hers are incapable of doing that too.

She needs to be put into care and her parents thrown into jail and the key thrown away.

Nose piercing at 14. Honestly. What a ridiculous notion at any age.
  16. Anonymous Member

Oh, for God's sakes! My friend had a nose piercing at age 14. Hell, she even pierced her own bellybutton at 15!

It isn't criminal and it CERTAINLY isn't uncommon. I see 15 year olds with tongue piercings these days. It's just what people do!

My mom asked me if I wanted to get a nose piercing when I was 16 because she thought that it looked nice! I refused because I personally don't like my nose to begin with, but I got a lipring instead when I was 18 instead.

People can do what they want with their bodies. People just need to realize that kids aren't like they used to be. Piercing really isn't that big of a deal to them and a lot of parents are aware of that fact.

If some people get sand in their vagina over it, then that's their problem. Why should this girl, at the age of 14, be made to feel ashamed of her own individual choices? I doubt her parents forced her to get the piercing. She obviously loves her piercing if she wants to keep it in, so my guess is that she made the choice herself.
  17. basil Member

Whatever.

It's not relevant to bringing down Scientology anyway so if you're all fine with CHILDREN (which 14/15 year olds are by law whether they like it or not) making such modifications to themselves then feel free to circlejerk.

Me, I'll just continue to dislike it - and to be honest I don't like tattoos or piercings on adults either.
  18. Sponge Member

That poster didn't put it in the Freedom of Expression section. I put it in this section, but only because the ACLU got involved. It would be doubly ironic if that poster did put it here in Freedom of Expression, considering that they felt the need to tell you to keep your opinions to yourself and ad hom rather than form a coherent argument to change your thinking.

Generally speaking I'm neither for or against because a) what one describes as "body modification" (or "mutilation") can be very diverse, from a simple ear piercing to grotesque clanky-face and, b) I don't propose to speak for other people's families and cultures , which are also diverse, even though I may, like you, not approve of having a child of mine getting holes put in his/her face.

There are a lot of things in this section not relevant to bringing down scientology. However, if I was being pedantic, there is some relevancy in the original article. It is also about how easily things are accepted as religion, and scientology was amongst those listed.
  19. Anonymous Member

As a parent, I've learned two important things: choose your issues (better to discuss homework, promiscuity or excessive drinking than her appearance), and as long as you are on speaking terms--about anything--you're doing all right. My kids are happy and high achievers, and so far no nose rings. But that's not something I'd argue with them about. I do believe that regardless of age, people are entitled to reasonable (safe, legal) freedom of expression and control of their own bodies. To deprive them of either will create a lot more problems than any nose ring. And please, Basil, keep your xenophobia to yourself.

20. Anonymous Member

I have actually just submitted my application to become a member of the Church of Body Modification, because to be perfectly honest with you, I think that body modification is perhaps one of the most spiritual things a person can undergo in some instances. I believe the things I believe about God, and my ability to relate to God, because when I was 19 I let a guy put 8 gauge hooks in my back and hang me 3 feet in the air from them, causing me to have an out-of-body experience. Sometimes I still look at the scars in the mirror whenever I question myself. You might look at those 8 perfect little circular scars on my back and tell me that its disgusting, that they're ugly. I look at them and I see a woman who was strong enough to pick her feet up off the ground when there was nothing there but her skin to hold her up. If that's not spiritual I don't know what is.

Also, ritual body modification has been going on for as long as human beings have had religion. If you think its 'only in America' then you're both intolerant AND stupid.
  21. El Diablo Member

Lol, who woulda thunk this would get people so riled up!

Kinda not a hard one to figure out. If it's a state school they are OBLIGATED to accomodate her (or come to some kind of compromise - such as an "unobtrusive" nose ring/stud while at school) - because everyone is entitled to an education no matter how unconventional their beliefs.

If it's a private school then bad frickin' luck. They are draconian with their uniform rules and they have the right to do that. They get great results for a reason...people are there to learn, not to look pretty...nor "interesting".

That being said, if she's fighting this simply because she likes her nose ring and the religion angle is convienient, then screw her...school is for learning. If you want to look "interesting", study hard and go to uni. In a few years she can look just as weird and facially modified as all the other arts undergrads and nobody will give a crap.
  22. Anonymous Member

Anything stupid can be called a church and claim protection. Church my ass; as much a church as scientology.

If she wants to wear her ring as a religious statement, go to a school that allows it. The school appears to be private and can set its rules.

She and her family should go eat a bowl of fuck
  23. Anonymous Member

You must be under the impression that a nose piercing is a permanent modification. That is the only way your argument is anywhere near proportional.

I might be inclined to agree with you if she were getting something like tattoos on her face, and I'll even agree that the religious angle is disingenuous at best. Piercings will heal up if you let them so at worst she'll end up with a barely noticeable scar. You're suggesting her parents be thrown in jail because they let their kid get poked with a needle?

For your convenience in the quote below I've replaced nose piercing with a procedure that is exactly the same and is exactly as impermanent, however this one does not have the same pointless social stigma.
    There is no functional difference between nose and ear piercings, so if you think one is abusive and worthy of jail time then the other one must be as well.
  24. Anonymous Member

3612708933_5bfabae7af.jpg
  25. LocalSP Member

The real question is why the ACLU will take a case like this but not help to stop the real abuses by the CoS.
  26. basil Member

Indeed. I'd quite like to know that too.
  27. Anonymous Member

Good question...
  28. Anonymous Member

Looks like the attention whore got what she wanted.
  29. Anonymous Member

beware. ACTA is going to send you to the gulag for that, but because it is Christian the ACLU will sue you for posting a picture of jesus where other religions could see.
  30. Anonymous Member

oh Hai there. I saw that pic in the dome at some point. Whever I want to pick my feet up off the ground, I just jump up. I am in the air for like a second or three. I would love to hear about your God experience while hanging by your skin. Sadly, I really mean it.
  31. thefatman Member

Private schools don't always get great results because people are in draconian uniforms and look as regimented as the Sea Org. They get them because they, and generally students, have a better attitude towards what they are doing. Though in NSW it's also because they only offer subjects that scale well (i.e., higher level maths/english, history, latin) as opposed to those who don't (i.e, hospitality/tourism).

Personally, it has nothing to do with the uniform, but with the attitude of the students - the uniform is just a method of subtly enforcing uniformity so as to attempt to increase productivity. Take my school as an example, we used to have a rule where when people got into the school they could take their ties off, on the condition that they put them back on before and after school. Problem was, people stopped putting them back on, so they made us wear them the whole day.

Also, basil, it's a tiny piercing in her nose, it's unobtrusive and doesn't affect you (or her learning for that matter - nor does her hair or if her shirt is tucked in) more importantly, how different is a small nose stud to an earring?
  32. Anonymous Member

I would say that the teachers in a Private school get a higher wage than public school and therefore have an incentive to be a better teacher. And the students get a better education.
  33. thefatman Member

Yeah, the extra money is an incentive for them to give a shit, thus the better attitude. Not giving a shit == bad attitude IMHO.
  34. OhSah Member

That's about as fake of a religion as Scientology. You have to apply to become a member - that's worse than Scientology they just ask for money up front.
  35. Ann O'Nymous Member

36. true colour Member

I have to agree with anonymous here i think that if the girl wishes to wear piercings or tattoos she should be allowed to it is her choice and she should be allowed to express her self as she likes
  37. xenubarb Member

“If we oppose the lifestyle of the west then it does not seem sensible that the teachers and the system, which represents that lifestyle, should educate our children.”

If you oppose the lifestyle of the west, maybe you should move somewhere more amenable to your prehistoric cultural orientation.
  38. Anonymous Member

QFMFT.

I still don't get why people with this mindset come here if they despise our values so much.
  39. BigBeard Member

From the article:

The ACLU got involved because of the last sentence above, not because of claims of a "made up" religion.

BigBeard
  40. true colour Member

well then that's religious intolerance and censoring her freedom of speech (for lack of a better thing to say) and just all around bullshit.