Customize

Globaliazation: If you boycott Wallmart, it would apply high pressure to China

Discussion in 'News and Current Events' started by tinfoilhatter, Apr 18, 2014.

1. tinfoilhatter Member

http://www.epi.org/publication/ib235/

Key things to take away from the above dox, Wallmart killed 200,000 US jobs through exports, and wallmart MOVES 11% of the Chinese GDP.

11% of a countries GDP is no trifle amount. Wallmart has a heavy political control over the Chinese economy,

What does this mean? It means that if anyone wants to apply pressure to the Chinese government, then all they have to do is organize a mass boycott of wallmart. If you wanted to apply pressure on North Korea, then you would have to apply pressure to their biggest benefactor, China.

This is how powerful wallmart is. If you wanted to bring about a stricter response from Bejing over North Korean human rights abuses, then you would have to organize a SUCCESSFUL boycott of wallmart.

This is not a proposal for an OP, its just something for everyone to think about. to give you guys an idea as to how big Globalization is, and how small actions here can affect the world.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. anon8109 Member

I would not call a successful boycott of Walmart a small action.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Haven't been in one myself in years.

Unfortunately, there are many small towns here in the US in which WollMort is the only store in town.:(
    • Like Like x 1
  4. rof Member

5. tinfoilhatter Member

The point i want to make here, is that this is not a small problem. It also brings up a lot of questions. It demonstrates the highly complex relationship between america and china.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. rickybobby Member

You have a good point. Isn't the idea of China being beholden to American companies for a healthy chunk of their GDP a good one? This is where America's global power is coming from--- other countries depending on our money, and the consequences should we decide to stop the money train.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. RightOn Member

I boycotted them long ago. Haven't been to one in about 6 years or more
    • Like Like x 4
  8. tinfoilhatter Member

I hear you. I haven't been in one for 3 years. My boycott has nothing to do with politics though. I had to do a midnight errand, and i was the ONLY customer in the store. I get to the register, (the self checkout is closed), and they spent 15 minutes changing out the till. It was ridiculous. I left my basket and stuff there. I have not been back since.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Sonichu Moderator

While that's certainly interesting about Walmart, here's my question:

Sure Walmart sells 11%GDP of China, but where does the rest come from? Would Walmart's Competitor, Target, then take up the slack if we boycott Walmart, but then started shopping at Target?
    • Like Like x 2
  10. tinfoilhatter Member

I point this out here, because i think the occupy movement is: flawed, useless, and does not even begin to scratch the surface of the problem. They want to help, but they have no idea as how business works. Everyone says we are beholden to china, This is far from the truth. The Chinese are beholden to US. They need our companies in their countries because they do not have the resources to modernize their infrastructure themselves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai_GM

I can dox you guys all day on these joint ventures.

The truth, is that we have a military based economy. The minute the pentagon announces that we need to shut down a base, the locals(who complain about the bases all the time) get upset because the bases are a huge part of their local economy. You have congress ordering equipment and vehicles that we do not need. Meanwhile generals tell congress that they need to spend more money on education:
    http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/09/army-to-congress-thanks-but-no-tanks/

Its why you should be terrified of drones. Not for the military actions, but because they are a JOBS PROGRAM. If one gets shot down, then congress will force the military to order 10 more. This encourages aggression that we would normally not do.

I believe that globalization is making the world a better place. I have seen its positive impact overseas while i was in the navy. BUT. We are the lynchpin of this, and if our economic policy fails in America, it WILL be catastrophic for the developing world. That is what the occupy movement should be about.
  11. tinfoilhatter Member

That is the beauty of it Sonicu, IF we just want positive change in china, we just promote a boycott of WALLMART, not MADE IN CHINA. Truth be told, despite the harsh environment in the factories over there, the economic benefit is still helping(how much is open to debate).

But, because of wall mart's influence on china(it is HUGE), a boycott of them would apply very huge pressure on the Chinese government, AND, the general public WOULD NOT HAVE TO SACRIFICE THEIR QUALITY OF LIFE DURING SAID BOYCOTT. Remeber, this is not a made in china boycott, but a wallmart boycott, so they can still buy what they want, just not in wallmart.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. laughingsock Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  13. rof Member

I love the smell of a dongcopter worth educating in the morning.
    • Like Like x 3
  14. The Internet Member

Good luck finding a product that is not made in China.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. tinfoilhatter Member

No shit. Granted, things are changing again. Six sigma, something unions HATE is bringing the jobs back, because it costs too much to to oversee the factories in china.

But yeah, if you want made in america, then you will have to buy a 3d printer and make it yourself.
    Which brings about another problem, more and more jobs are being automated....
    • Like Like x 1