Customize

Glosslip - Daily Mail threatened by CoS, pulled article

Discussion in 'Jett Travolta' started by Oinkertron9000, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Re: Glosslip - Daily Mail threatened by CoS, pulled article

though id love to take this at face value, do we have any direct confirmation that the mail was FORCED to remove the article? any comment from the daily mail on this at all?
  2. Consensus Member

Re: Glosslip - Daily Mail threatened by CoS, pulled article

Good article. Keep the story alive!
  3. DawnOlsen Member

No, and there won't be. I was given this as a super secret confidentially type stuff and was not allowed to name my source, but is it any shock?

Great job Oinker for having the full copy. I received this article by no less than ten people over the weekend, but because my internet was up and down due to repairs and weather, I wasn't able to even look at the story. Oddly enough, I had the page pulled up in my browser when I checked in today, but when I hit refresh, of course I discovered it was GONE. Thank goodness you guys are smart enough to keep a record of everything as this article is classic depiction of what a bunch of goons those f*ckers are.

Thanks again Anonymous for kicking ass! Hope someone sees the story and does some more sniffing around.
  4. LilDebbie Member

considering how liberal the UK's libel laws are, you can get shit pulled if it's slightly offensive to you or your organization.

keep in mind they have no guaranteed right to free speech or press. s'what happens when you live in a monarchy.

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!!!!!!
  5. DawnOlsen Member

I think that's why it was sent to me. They figured I'd post it up in it's entirety and being in the U.S. and a gossip rag, why the hell not. The UK libel laws crack me up. The British gossip hounds come up with the most phantasmagorical gossip bs EVER, yet they are constantly getting sued.

If I hear anymore on this, I'll post it.
  6. Mutante Member

This ^^^
  7. Re: Glosslip - Daily Mail threatened by CoS, pulled article

The laws need to be changed to prevent Scientology and others who abuse the legal system in this way from filing threatening lawsuits ad nauseum to harass and intimidate news agencies and anyone else who doesn't buy into their insane pholosophy. They will put the lives of their own members and children at risk instead of facing the truth. The horrific abuses of this alleged church need to be stopped for good. Why won't the British and U.S. governments, etc. stand up to these frauds once and for all? The proof against Scientology bogus claims is all over the internet, etc, and it is absolutely overwhelming.
  8. Consensus Member

A PR campaign should be pursued making the following points:

THERE ARE TWO SIDES TO EVERY STORY
    And yet, the vast, vast majority of press about Scientology is extremely friendly to the cult. Why?
    When an article critical of the cult is printed, the COS does NOT come out and refute the claims - they send their lawyers to quash the story.
    The typical reader believes that only libelous and false stories are pulled. This viewpoint may often be justified, but in the case of Scientology it is not a valid assumption - insert quote of LRH stating that the purpose of lawsuits is 'not to win, but to harass.'
    Cite examples of stories that were pulled, and of stories that were not pulled - putting the editors and publishers in long, expensive legal battles (which they eventually won).

As a point of fact, the people that fall for scientology go through several steps - curiosity, courses, then full-on indoctrination. When they are indoctrinated (many would say 'brainwashed'), they outright reject critical information about the cult. But they don't start out indoctrinated, and when they hit the 'curiosity' part they may seek out additional information (from non-cult sources). For the longest time, those people would look for information and never find it - because articles and books were rarely printed. But the information became available online! And, as a result, Scientology recruiting actually works against them. Why? They get someone interested in the information, and that person, now curious, turns to google and wikipedia. This is why the wikipedia front is so essential. And this is why the successful publishing of books and news articles (which, with the web, have a much longer lifespan) is so harmful to the cult. I think the reason they got that specific article pulled off the web is so that, when wikipedians inevitably cite it (as it satisfies the criteria for an objective source), they can rebut the citation saying 'that article was pulled, and for good reason!'

So Scientology now has a dilemma: when they pique someone's curiosity about Scientology, they have to steer that person away from our 'entheta' literature. But as the person is not yet fully indoctrinated, being told what they can and can't read, will have alarm bells go off - this strategy, too, will drive people /away/ from the cult. Any way you cut it, they will never have as much success in recruiting as they did pre-internet. And even pre-internet, their recruiting 'stats' were never sufficient enough to achieve their goal of 'clearing the planet.'

Another approach is to recruit in developing countries, where that information is not at everyone's fingertips. This is why we are seeing a push in Africa and South America. Of course, those countries are inevitably becoming more and more developed, and more and more net-friendly. This is why our translation projects are so important (while at the same time not having being immediately imperative). We want to make sure that, as the reach of the internet grows, so too does accessibility to literature critical of Scientology.

In the end, Scientology is not merely locking horns with a bunch of Channers - the very culture and technology of the internet itself goes contrary to their goals. And they've demonstrated time and again that they're willing to destroy anything they percieve as going against their goals. This is why everyone who values the internet and freedom of information should consider themselves amongst our allies, even if they aren't actively participating in our protests.

And the strength of whyweprotest is our 'dox or gtfo' philosophy. We vett information to a degree that any news editor would be in awe if they saw. This is why it's imperative, when you see an undocumented source, even if it's friendly to our cause, that you speak up and call bullshit. Transparency and skepticism will lead to credibility that Scientology simply can't compete with.

The wiki articles for Jett and John Travolta should both have at least passing references to the Glosslip article in the OP.

VVVV COPY/PASTE THE LINK INTO A NEW WINDOW TO GET THE BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK
  9. moxie Member

10. Consensus Member

11. Mutante Member

12. whosit Member

hmmm. Footbullet. Scientology censoring the tubes? I'm shocked.

Thank you Scientology for keeping the story alive for another week you degenerate morons.

Can't figure out when to fold 'em. Always tryin to hold 'em. They should figure out when to walk away. Know when to run.
  13. HubbBudd Member

How do you spell " W I N " ?
  14. Optimisticate Member

Hey Dawn, any chance of spreading the love for a little labor lawsuit?
  15. Vir Member

It might be natural to mention the labor lawsuit in connection with the picketing and HIV drama up in Hemet.
  16. Mutante Member

17. Kilia Member

Ya know, Mutante..I had the same idea last night after I went to bed and lay thinking.
    Glad to see I wasn't alone in that thinking. lol
  18. Consensus Member

19. Consensus Member

20. Mutante Member

21. RightOn Member

Question.....
    Is the Mail UK paper allowed to say they "asked" (threatened) by COS to take down the article? Or would that be yet another pending lawsuit?
  22. tazor Member

A tv station in Albuquerque reported that the Co$ promised them a tour of the bunker at Trementina if they didn't run a story about it. They declined the tour.

I doubt if they would sue the paper just as they didn't sue the tv station.
  23. An0nand0n Member

24. Lednir Member

Good gods, it's full of simpering Travolta fans thinking that he might read it and send them a letter of thanks or something. I mean, it's alright for a few but 200 people saying the same thing is just ridiculous, and clearly ignoring most of the information in the article.
  25. Mutante Member

Fixed.
  26. RightOn Member

Well I think the paper should mention that they were asked to remove it. People will then want to know why and then maybe they will look moar.

Also... did anyone catch the blurb at the bottom of the screen when Larry King was on? I think it was a show about Oprah or something grose like that.. We Were flipping through channels and it said that Jett's ceremony was only 10 minutes long??? WTF???
    My cat just got put down :( the other day.
    And I spent MORE time with her when she had to get put down, then they did on Jett's ceremony!
  27. blah Member

I think it is obvious what needs to happen, this needs to become the most widely copied article on the planet!
  28. Namenlos Member

Fliers of the Daily Mail article, anyone?

Or would there be copyright issues...?
  29. FUCK Member

just ask their permission, I'm sure they wouldn't care since it's free publicity for them.
  30. Namenlos Member

Haha, good point.

/sent + waiting.
  31. Namenlos Member

Update;
    They e-mailed me to say because it wasn't on the internet any more they couldn't give me permission. I e-mailed back to ask about permission for permission for the version that was printed in the newspaper (which I mentioned in the original e-mail anyway, Durrrr).
    Still waiting for that reply.
  32. TheBitch Member

Effective cock block is effective. THEY DO NOT WANT THIS STORY TO GET OUT.
  33. Mutante Member

Why do you need permission to distribute information that was put into the public domain?

The Daily Mail haven't issued a statement about the withdrawal of that article. There has been no admission that Scientology forced it to be taken down.

So what's stopping you? Public domain is public domain.
  34. TinyDancer Member

Daily Mail owns the copyright to it. Hence the permission bit.

Daily Mail no doubt don't want to expose their legal butts by granting permission to publish the article. However, they just might be secretly pleased if you do so.
  35. Anonymous Member

If it's on Anonymous fliers which just happen to be sent to every media outlet in the UK there could be the biggest win/shitstorm in the UK.

Insider protip: Much of the UK press is just itching for someone to make the first move so they can all troll the cult.
  36. Mutante Member

Too right. The censorship story and a transcript of the article is on the GlossLip site. Has GlossLip been cleaned out by the Daily Mail?

Exactly!

A complete transcript of the article posted by Oinkertron9000, and copy of the webpage text with different pictures in the big Jett thread, is on WWP, along with EnturbTheDragon's scans of the print edition, stop.the.cult's PDF and the HTML&screencaps I uploaded. Ditto, no legal shitstorm.

If anyone feels bad about the copyright issue then circulate the GlossLip pages instead. I'm sure Dawn would be delighted.

Anon didn't save those web pages from the Internet's wastebin for nothing ;)

LINKS to censored Daily Mail article about Jett

Transcript of article
    http://forums.whyweprotest.net/298-...voltas-wierd-faith-seal-son-jetts-fate-36040/

Transcript in Jett thread with LOL! photos, >292,000 thread views BOOYAH
    http://forums.whyweprotest.net/298-...of-jett-travoltas-autism-31978/23/#post699339

Screen capture of article removed from Daily Mail website
    http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/3717/mailonlinedidjohntravolen2.jpg

HTML grab of the whole thing
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

GlossLip article about the Daily Mail article being censorsed
    GlossLip Glosslip Exclusive: Daily Mail Threatened By Church of Scientology, Forced To Pull Travolta Story

PDF of article
    http://scientology-london.com/extra/Did_John_Travolta_s_weird_faith_seal_his_son_Jett_s_fate.pdf

Scans of the print edition
    http://forums.whyweprotest.net/298-...faith-seal-son-jetts-fate-36040/4/#post690199
  37. Anonymous Member

Great Flyer idea!
    Jett Travolta fund - footbullet for cos