Customize

"Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief" by Lawrence Wright

Discussion in 'Media' started by The Wrong Guy, Nov 14, 2012.

1. RightOn Member

this is horrible
    caving to the bullies once again

"who are unhappy with the content of the book. "
    WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
    Deal with it a-holes you pulled it in
  2. Tourniquet Member

Scientology, post-Chanology: all bark, no bite.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. wolfbane Member

I'm hoping when the book comes out, Wright's press tour includes trotting out all those letters from celebrities he received so the world can see exactly who the cult's Hollywood sockpuppets are and the celebutard tabloid hacks can hound them over it for a long time to come.
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. RightOn Member

Dear Scientology,
    you can't stop everything
    kthanksbai
  5. Anonymous Member

Scientology: religion for psychotics.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. The Wrong Guy Member

Now the Los Angeles Times is running its own version of the story:

Scientology book dropped by British publisher

By Carolyn Kellogg

British publisher Transworld has canceled its plans to publish "Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood and the Prison of Belief" by Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Lawrence Wright. The book will be published in the U.S. by Knopf on Jan. 17.

The reason Transworld dropped the book has attracted attention, according to the Telegraph. "The decision not to publish in this country has prompted questions, particularly as Transworld had previously agreed to it," the paper says. "It seems likely that the threat of libel action in the UK may have contributed to the decision."

Libel laws work differently in the United States and Britain. The Telegraph itself was forced to pay more than $100,000 in damages for libel and malicious falsehood over a book review.

Transworld’s publicity director Patsy Irwin stated, "Our legal advice was that some of the content was not robust enough for the UK market and an appropriately edited version would not fit with our schedule. The decision not to publish was taken internally."

Wright's book arose from a profile of film director Paul Haggis that appeared in the New Yorker; Haggis had been a Scientologist but left the church. The piece won a 2012 National Magazine Award.

American publisher Knopf describes the book this way: "Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief" is based on more than 200 interviews with current and former Scientologists, as well as other sources. The book offers an exhaustive account of the church, from its founding by L. Ron Hubbard to its present-day leadership under David Miscavige."

In the book, Wright looks at the church’s financial resources and some of the key celebrities associated with the church, including Tom Cruise and John Travolta.

British free speech advocates have argued against the British libel laws. Mike Harris, head of avocacy at the organization Index on Censorship told the Telegraph, "Our libel laws remain some of the most archaic in the Western world with cases in the High Court in London costing 100 times the European average. With high costs and an uncertain public interest defense, the publisher may simply have decided to back away rather than risk losing a libel case."

From www.latimes.com/features/books/jacketcopy/la-et-jc-british-publisher-drops-lawrence-wrights-new-scientology-book-20130108,0,3033993.story
    • Like Like x 3
  7. csmlogo_179x46.gif

more: http://www.csmonitor.com/Books/chap...gy-is-cancelled-in-the-UK-after-legal-threats
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. TrevAnon Member

Haven't seen this posted, and don't have the time to check because I'm at work:

Dutch http://www.trouw.nl/tr/nl/5097/Spir...y-doet-al-voor-publicatie-stof-opwaaien.dhtml

Nothing really new as far as I can see, but it really is win to have this in one of the bigger papers in the Netherlands.

Google translation, will try to get a better one later if I have the time:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Random guy Member

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. wolfbane Member

Not just "lately," always. Christian Scientists have always hated being mistaken for Scientology. The CS Monitor website seldom misses an opportunity to retread the major headlines. And a search for Scientology on their site shows they went out of their way to repost old print articles from as far back as 1982 that mention scilons.

Equally kooky in some respects - yes. But also helpful because I occasionally found old SPTimes retreads over there where the original news archive link in xenu-directory.net is broken.
    • Like Like x 4
  11. Random guy Member

Equally kooky in some respects, but not as abusive, and not known to harass critics and Xes. That let them off the hook from my perspective.

(/derail)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. DeathHamster Member

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/how-scientology-trapped-john-travolta-409685

Scientology Book Excerpt: 'The Church Had John Travolta Trapped'

Threats, a baby taken away, punishment: Extraordinary details of the tortured relationship between the actor and his handler, Spanky Taylor, as told by Pulitzer Prize-winning New Yorker writer Lawrence Wright in his revelatory new history of the controversial religion, excerpted exclusively in THR.
    • Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. fishypants Moderator

jeez.
  14. Derail BUT I have had many dealings with Christian Science, and had to defend myself against criticism. Criticism from the public who confuse Christian Science and Scientology.

I may not agree with all their beliefs, but I found them a very nice bunch of people, and not a cult. They never tried to recruit me, they never tried to harrass me, they were kind and thoughtful people. Christian Science is about love and peace, two words that the alien scn's never use. What they want to believe in is fine by me.

They must be so pissed off with being confused with scientology.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Anonymous Member

That would be like comparing Unity to cos. And there is absolutely no comparison.
  16. Anonymous Member

17. Puppetmama Member

Both excerpts interesting with new material. I've suspected that the book would be mostly retreads, which is fine because it increases the audience but now I wonder if Wright has more. Time to make some popcorn.
  18. wolfbane Member

• Like Like x 1
  19. muldrake Member

They may not currently be a cult, but they certainly were a cult. In the early days of Christian Science, especially under Mary Baker Eddy, it was about as litigious and as nasty as the current Church of Scientology.

It may be comparatively harmless now, as it slowly shrinks away into insignificance, but that was not the case in the past.

I think that's probably how Scientology ends, too. In 100 years you'll see the same Scientology orgs in the same cities, maybe in smaller quarters, just like most cities have a "Christian Science Reading Room." But you won't see anyone in them but old people and cobwebs.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  20. ɹǝɥʇɐɟ Member

LOL. It's like i'm reading a text book with examples of straw man and ad hominem.
  21. The Wrong Guy Member

Tony Ortega's reportedly-awesome cats crawled off of him long enough for him to post this on Facebook:

Excerpts of Lawrence Wright's book on Scientology appeared at The Hollywood Reporter today, and they are predictably awesome. Let's discuss them!

Excerpts of Lawrence Wright’s Book on Scientology are Predictably Awesome

Get over there, read those excerpts, and then come back here and give us your thoughts!

Article and open comments:
    http://tonyortega.org/2013/01/09/ex...-book-on-scientology-are-predictably-awesome/
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  22. AuntAnonymous Member

I liked the excerpts as they are juicy. The comments section sure got the $cilons in early but doesn't matter. I suspect there are many wanna-be-stars who keep Hollywood Reporter front and and center and planning on getting a copy of this book ASAP.

This new year has been delicious so far with all the cult busting going on. Waiting for my copies of Wright, Sweeney, Hill...
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Anonymous Member

I love the fact that the scilons don't understand that the more traffic they give a page, the higher PageRank it gets, more people visit, etc. IOW, Streisand effect all over again.

They're a foolish as Alex Jones, if he's not one of them.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  24. DeathHamster Member

These two videos must be mixed together:

25. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  26. RightOn Member

"Of the 200 people [Wright] spoke with, only 9 were Scientologists. … Most of the remaining 200 were apostates, many who have shopped similar false claims to the gossip media for years."

ha ha ha,
    oh Ms Pouw, so what about the list of over 2000 people who say otherwise?
    tisk tisk!
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  27. RolandRB Member

One current True Believer is worth a million apostates!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. Anonymous Member

yer slippin'
  29. Anonymous Member

I Newspaper
    "Scientology head 'celebrated' Tom Cruise's divorce"
    Page 9
    ......"A church spokesperson, Karaon Pouw, told i last night the 2book and those excerpts would be better suited for the supermarket tabloids because they are a nothing more than a stale-rehash of allegations, disproven long ago" she added "Freedom of speech does not mean freedom to lie".....
  30. Anonymous Member

• Like Like x 1
  31. YouSeeNothing Member

32. YouSeeNothing Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...orce_n_2441842.html?utm_hp_ref=books&ir=Books
    • Like Like x 1
  33. YouSeeNothing Member

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/how-scientology-seduced-tom-cruise-409686
    • Like Like x 1
  34. DeathHamster Member

That's a rather bullshit legal opinion. Why don't you get some real lawyers to give their opinion and put their name on it?
    • Agree Agree x 2
  35. RightOn Member

wow!
    nut up Canada! (not you Dave, you have giant clankers)
    I am disapoint :(
    You were on board for closing Narconon, don't ruin it with censorship of this book!
  36. Anonymous Member

Oh dear scientology you must hate this book, but when your threats against authors are revealed you only give the book more publicity. Call yourself a "church", nah just a bunch of bitter frocked bigots. You really pulled this one in Davey boy
    • Agree Agree x 1
  37. RightOn Member

yes I guess the COS should be thanked. People who want to read it in Canada will be able to order it from elsewhere anyways.
    And they will want it all the more now.
    Thank you Scientology for making this book a "must have" on the reader's list in Canada!
    Happy stats today!
  38. Anonymous Member

39. Horseradish Member

UK and Canada should hold some book-centred events...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  40. RightOn Member

About that wild flower field made for Cruise and Kidman....
    that was a real sad story for Sea Orgers. They planted it once and DM wasn't pleased, and they had to pull it all out and replant before Cruise and Kidman arrived. I think they worked all night and day in the heat.
    If I am not mistaken, I think Maureen Boldstat <spelling? may have been on that detail.
    The Sea orgers went through hell for this wild flower garden, and it should be mentioned.